US & Turkey Suspend Travel Visas

(CNN)Both the United States and Turkey have suspended all non-immigrant visa services for travel between the two countries, after last week's arrest of a US consulate employee in Istanbul.

With some exceptions, the move effectively blocks Turks from travel to the United States, and vice versa, indefinitely.

"Recent events have forced the United States government to reassess the commitment of government of Turkey to the security of US mission and personnel," the statement by the US mission in Ankara said.

Just 24 hours after the announcement by the United States, Turkey retaliated through its embassy in Washington, issuing a statement that effectively mirrors the one released by the United States -- only the countries' names were reversed.

"Recent events have forced Turkish Government to reassess the commitment of the Government of the United States to the security of Turkish Mission facilities and personnel."

The Turkish embassy said the measure, effective immediately, would "apply to visas in passports as well as e-Visas and visas acquired at the border."

The US move, meanwhile, means that Turks will not be issued visas to visit the United States unless they plan to move there.

Sorry to read this as my stops in various Turkish ports have been both interesting and educational. I would like the opportunity to return some day.

The Mediterranean season for this year hasn't even ended yet, so this is going to put a few itineraries into upheaval. Very sad.

Very interesting (and sad) development that we hope will be quickly resolved...as we have always enjoyed visiting Turkey on both land and sea. The ramifications for Turkey will be dramatic. For example, the Port of Kusadasi used to get about 1000 cruise ship calls per year....and the tourism/cruise industry is a huge contributor to the local and regional economy. If most of those ships cease calling at the port that area will quickly feel the loss of revenue.

We should also mention that Turkey does not normally require Visas for most visitors on cruises and we are not sure how this latest fiasco will impact cruises. But even if Turkey decides that they will not restrict cruise ship passengers, the poisoned atmosphere is likely to cause many cruise lines to remove Turkey from their itineraries.

Hank

Never could understand this distasteful business of banning travel to or from other countries. Makes no sense whatsoever.

It is hard to understand this situation without knowing why the Turks arrested a U.S. diplomat. There must be a 'back story here. That cannot be ignored. Host country has responsiblity fo r protection of foreign diplomats.

Edited by sail7seas

The cruise lines are only a small part of the tourist business in Turkey even though they have a significant impact on Kusadasi.

European visitors still flock to the Med coast ports. Especially Brits to places like Marmaris, Fethiye, Bodrum, Antalya, etc. Same with the Capadocia region. All beautiful tourist destinations that remain relatively untouched by recent events....other than the Monarch Airlines collapse. Turkey is one of our favourite travel destinations.

The cruise lines are only a small part of the tourist business in Turkey even though they have a significant impact on Kusadasi.

European visitors still flock to the Med coast ports. Especially Brits to places like Marmaris, Fethiye, Bodrum, Antalya, etc. Same with the Capadocia region. All beautiful tourist destinations that remain relatively untouched by recent events....other than the Monarch Airlines collapse. Turkey is one of our favourite travel destinations.

Here is a link to some information about the detained diplomat and another for whom Turkey has issued an arrest warrant.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/9/turkey-seeks-arrest-second-us-diplomat-interrogate/

Edited by sail7seas

The arrest of someone working with a diplomatic passport has absolutely zero impact on where I want to travel or where I want to spend my travel dollars.

My country happens to be in a rather large trade dispute with another nation. It could get ugly. It will not in any way impact our travel plans or negate any travel plans to that country (not France). Has about as much impact on us as some of those politically motivated and CYA travel advisories that get issued from time to time.

We make a huge distinction between politics and travel.

The arrest of someone working with a diplomatic passport has absolutely zero impact on where I want to travel or where I want to spend my travel dollars.

My country happens to be in a rather large trade dispute with another nation. It could get ugly. It will not in any way impact our travel plans or negate any travel plans to that country (not France). Has about as much impact on us as some of those politically motivated and CYA travel advisories that get issued from time to time.

Okay, )

I totally agree up to a point. My country too, but many of us have made a decision not to travel to that other country, or at least to limit the travel a great deal. There are many other wonderful places yet to see, and even more here at home.

The challenge that I see with mixing politics and travel is that our leaders and leaders of other countries are, quite frankly, prone to misrepresenting the facts to serve their own purposes. Indeed, some of them out and out lie to their citizens if it suits their purposes. Nothing new about this. And the agencies that they control often do the same. And then the media piles on.

So we simply don't confuse our travel with politics. We go where we want to and where we feel that it is reasonably safe-notwithstanding the form of government or the leadership in those countries.

I totally agree up to a point. My country too, but many of us have made a decision not to travel to that other country, or at least to limit the travel a great deal. There are many other wonderful places yet to see, and even more here at home.

Sounds like a plan. :) of course, despite the strongest desire and plan there can be circumstances that possibly may change that plan. you know........ the best layed plans of men............. and then something pops up that urges a change in plan.

uote=bennybear;54271497]The more I travel the more I think that trips have a life of their own. I think they evolve as life happens.

Yes. :)

As many times as we sailed Maasdam b-to-b for Canada New England, in the same cabin and often many of the same crews with mostly same itinerary, same cruise was unique to itself. There were not that many variables yet once or twice there was a particular port we liked and other times, we chose to remain on the s hip rather than spend any t ime in that port.. Weather for the most part was almost always terrific (of course, some exception). Each trip, we take, even to repeat locations has it's own rhythm

The challenge that I see with mixing politics and travel is that our leaders and leaders of other countries are, quite frankly, prone to misrepresenting the facts to serve their own purposes. Indeed, some of them out and out lie to their citizens if it suits their purposes. Nothing new about this. And the agencies that they control often do the same. And then the media piles on.

So we simply don't confuse our travel with politics. We go where we want to and where we feel that it is reasonably safe-notwithstanding the form of government or the leadership in those countries.

I agree, and I think there should be a distinction drawn between legitimate "alerts" or "warnings" of potentially dangerous or hazardous conditions (while still allowing the person or party to travel or not, as they see fit) versus travel "bans" for political reasons.

It's a murky world we live in these days. Very little is black and white. While I can understand strong warnings not to travel to countries that are actively at war, for example (e.g., Syria), or where there is no stable government (e.g., Libya), we are in dangerous territory if we simply start banning travel to any country whose government's policies are not 100% in agreement with ours.

And while we're on the subject, I much prefer the warnings issued by the UK foreign office to those issued by the US State Department as they are generally more targeted -- with specific areas to avoid rather than a vague warning not to travel anywhere in the country.

do not believe HAL was making any stops in Turkey with all the incidents-- bombings and demonstrations-- that have been taking place there in the past year or so.. I know Istanbul was removed from the Oct 20 Atlantic Adventurer a long while ago