Cats show on the Oasis of the Sea

lorijon

Cant see these 3 ending up on a ship.

Never laughed so much when went to see Book of Mormon.

Couple in front of us walked out after first song...expensive night :D

Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying that's where popular tastes have gone in terms of musicals from what I've seen.

I've seen Cats on and off Broadway so I knew what to expect on Oasis and did not plan on going to a performance. While I love the music, it is a long performance and gets very slow at times. And it always makes me cry which is not what I want on my cruise vacation.:rolleyes: But I just happened to be outside the theater during an afternoon performance so decided to watch a little.

The staging and performance was excellent but I thought it was sad for the performers as there were so few people in the audience, the theater was almost empty.

I've always wondered what Royal was thinking when they chose Cats?:rolleyes:

Sherri:)

My guess would be "Fairly family appropriate show that's known at least by name that won 7 Tonys, including Best Musical, and a Grammy and had an original Broadway run of nearly 18 years and was about to start a West End Revival starring Nichole Scherzinger and was preparing to go into a Broadway Revival."

When I wandered in to see it, my husband “wandered” in a different direction.:D He had seen it with me several years ago and has always said it was the most miserable 2plus hours he has ever spent in a theater. I believe he has also used the word excruciating to describe Cats.:')

Sherri

I started looking at some of the characters in the outlying parts of the stage/cast and tried to determine if they were male or female in those tight costumes.. I then watched other guests to see if anyone was falling asleep. I also thought about the many times I would bring this up again when my wife didn't want to do something.

Oh, no doubt. I'm just saying that's where popular tastes have gone in terms of musicals from what I've seen.

My guess would be "Fairly family appropriate show that's known at least by name that won 7 Tonys, including Best Musical, and a Grammy and had an original Broadway run of nearly 18 years and was about to start a West End Revival starring Nichole Scherzinger and was preparing to go into a Broadway Revival."

True, Cats has won quite a few awards and had a long run on Broadway but it is a dark, lengthy musical that doesn’t seem appropriate, IMO, for a Caribbean vacation. :D

Sherri:)

Like others said. It is a well done show. The music is good but I think it is to long for a cruise ship.

Might just be me but I like the normal 60 to 75 min or so shows.

Also just a warning that if you sit near the aisles in the lowest party if the theater the Cats come flying in from behind in dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like others said. It is a well done show. The music is good but I think it is to long for a cruise ship.

Might just be me but I like the normal 60 to 75 min or so shows.

Also just a warning that if you sit near the aisles in the lowest party if the theater the Cats come flying in from behind in dark.

I don't think any of the Broadway shows are that short - maybe the Royal Caribbean singers and dancer shows are that short, but Cats has a stated 2 hr and 40 minute runtime (per Playbill), which is the same length as Hairspray and We Will Rock You and only 10 minutes longer than Chicago, Mamma Mia!, or Grease.

I didn't see (many) people leaving Chicago at intermission, nor did I see (many) people leaving Mama Mia at intermission. During Cats, they left steadily all through the show, and at intermission, the flood gates opened. Many, many didn't come back. Anyone wanting to see the second half would certainly have no problem getting a seat in any area in the theater.

I don't think any of the Broadway shows are that short - maybe the Royal Caribbean singers and dancer shows are that short, but Cats has a stated 2 hr and 40 minute runtime (per Playbill), which is the same length as Hairspray and We Will Rock You and only 10 minutes longer than Chicago, Mamma Mia!, or Grease.

I thought Grease was done in 1 act? Has it changed?

Great posts. Although even with my wife explaining to me, I was still lost by the pirate scene. My wife told me it was a pirate scence, I thought they were rats from Mars. I could summarize my feelings about Cats with this: Grisabella walks to the front of the stage and you can tell she is about to sing. 4 minutes later she starts. The song "Jellico Cats" caused the worst ear worm ever, I can now say the title without PTSD kicking inn. If we showed it to prisoners of war, the Geneva Convention would be brought up.

Jellical, not Jellico , and there is the scene of Growltiger the pirate cat. The show is about the secret lives of cats, it is sad in parts and happy in others, There isn't a true plot, it is a story of a sector of cats who have lived together. a colony

Grisabella is beaten and scorned and comes back to be taken back into the fold, and she is and then sent to the heavyside layer ( heaven if you will)to be reborn. There are very few plots musicals.... ;)

I just can't do the entire show. Not on Broadway, not a national touring show, and not on Oasis. I've tried, but find myself antsy for intermission. Andrew Lloyd Weber is a theatrical genius. The music, set and costumes are fantastic. I just cannot get through the whole show.

Jellical, not Jellico , and there is the scene of Growltiger the pirate cat. The show is about the secret lives of cats, it is sad in parts and happy in others, There isn't a true plot, it is a story of a sector of cats who have lived together. a colony

Grisabella is beaten and scorned and comes back to be taken back into the fold, and she is and then sent to the heavyside layer ( heaven if you will)to be reborn. There are very few plots musicals.... ;)

Well there you go, 2 hrs. and 30 minutes summed up in four lines of typing.

Well that's disappointing. I'm booked for the November 22nd sailing (after the drydock) and I've already made reservations for "Hairspray". I hope that the showtimes are the same.

I've not heard good things about Cats, so I have avoided it for years. But all streaks must end.

This is what I posted 3 years ago when the announcement was made to change shows on the Oasis after I had already booked.

We went to the show...my wife and oldest daughter left at intermission. My youngest daughter and I stayed for the entire show and enjoyed the hell out of it. We still talk about the show today and how it is one of the few things that we both liked.

It's an odd show plot wise....but the sets, the singing, and the dancing are great.

My advice to those who haven't seen it...do it. You never know.

Right? Exactly. Just like when I cried my eyes out when watching the sand artist in the ice show some years ago on Oasis. Others probably rolled their eyes. I thought it was phenomenal. :D

~

I haven't seen Cats so cannot comment to that, but I do understand how some would leave at intermission if they weren't enjoying the show. I do get it.

Loved the sand artist! Very cool talent!

Well there you go, 2 hrs. and 30 minutes summed up in four lines of typing.

4 ,=line

yeah not exactly, but you love it or you hate it, it is very in depth and as an in depth person I watched the whole thing in several venues, and would again. but if you think any show is summed up in 4 lines can't imagine you in a movie theater:eek::'),...

4 ,=line

yeah not exactly, but you love it or you hate it, it is very in depth and as an in depth person I watched the whole thing in several venues, and would again. but if you think any show is summed up in 4 lines can't imagine you in a movie theater:eek::'),...

If you are such an in depth person how is it that you take words so literally? It think it is obvious there was an intent of irony in my post. Maybe it was not so obvious.