How much does the crew make (mainly dining). Gratuities and tips thread

redraidersrule

Yes, the auto grat for dining goes to the pool for all servers on the ship, not just the mdr. Lido buffet, brunch, etc.

Ok. My gratuities are already prepaid so i'll just leave it as is. Thanks.

Don't know, don't care. I'm also not interested in any other business' pay habits either (except for the company I work for).

I agree and I can't imagine why people overthink this issue. It's just part of the total cost of the cruise - let it go.

I can't say for sure about other cruise lines, but I know that Carnival also pays the roundtrip airfare for crew members to return to their home countries in between their contracts. If a crew member opts not to take the trip -- which was the case with our tour guide, whose boyfriend lived in the States -- they get the equivalent amount as cash.

Judging from my experiences with their hard-working crew personnel, this is a well-deserved perk.

hi quick question - did you do the chef's table on Magic?

I can't say for sure about other cruise lines, but I know that Carnival also pays the roundtrip airfare for crew members to return to their home countries in between their contracts. If a crew member opts not to take the trip -- which was the case with our tour guide, whose boyfriend lived in the States -- they get the equivalent amount as cash.

Judging from my experiences with their hard-working crew personnel, this is a well-deserved perk.

That used to be the case, but now they take out a percentage of their pay to cover that expense.

Not sure where you heard that they take out pay for the airfare, as repatriation expense is the company's responsibility, per international law. They may withhold some money to cover airfare if the crew does not complete the contract, but it is then payable at the end of the contract. This was always the case before, but the Manila Labor Convention (MLC 2006), which went into effect in 2013, makes it mandatory that the shipowner pay for repatriation, unless the crew member quits or is fired for cause.

Not sure where you heard that they take out pay for the airfare, as repatriation expense is the company's responsibility, per international law. They may withhold some money to cover airfare if the crew does not complete the contract, but it is then payable at the end of the contract. This was always the case before, but the Manila Labor Convention (MLC 2006), which went into effect in 2013, makes it mandatory that the shipowner pay for repatriation, unless the crew member quits or is fired for cause.

They may get it back at the end of their contract, or they may use that percentage that for other "expenses", but I was told by a Crew member very recently that they take a small percentage out of their checks for their travel expenses. Maybe they meant for work Visas, or related fees, I'm not sure as I didn't ask them to explain the details. They did say that it is a fairly new practice and they didn't always do it this way.

That used to be the case, but now they take out a percentage of their pay to cover that expense.

*shrug*

This differs from what we've been told on at least three Behind the Fun tours, one as recently as three weeks ago.

Edited by Pellaz
removed sentence requesting a cite

This differs from what we've been told on at least three Behind the Fun tours, one as recently as three weeks ago. Can you cite a source?

I just explained what was said to me in the post before. A Crew member told me that when we were talking about ship life and how things have changed over the years. They were going to do maybe one more contract then open their own business back home.

It's not that they can't return home for two years, but as I've mentioned, I've had crew who worked 30 months straight. There is no law or rule against doing this.

As to withholding pay for repatriation, that is against the law, as stated in the MLC 2006, Regulation 2.5, section 3:

"3. Each Member (flag state) shall prohibit shipowners from requiring that seafarers make anadvance payment towards the cost of repatriation at the beginning of their employment,and also from recovering the cost of repatriation from the seafarers’ wages or other entitlementsexcept where the seafarer has been found, in accordance with national laws orregulations or other measures or applicable collective bargaining agreements, to be inserious default of the seafarer’s employment obligations."

Parenthesis and bolding, mine.

"yes, this is true.. but many times.. the crew can only return home every two years.. after the contract.. so that is 2 years of not seeing your kids, and your spouse."

Why do people make up stuff like this. This is completely untrue. I guess you have never had a conversation with a crew member. Most contracts are 6 months, extensions can be requested.

"yes, this is true.. but many times.. the crew can only return home every two years.. after the contract.. so that is 2 years of not seeing your kids, and your spouse."

Why do people make up stuff like this. This is completely untrue. I guess you have never had a conversation with a crew member. Most contracts are 6 months, extensions can be requested.

I don't know ,but you sure straighten them out :loudcry:

Edited by BoDidly

I do not understand this thread. The crew are extremely hard working and earn every dollars. Considering the cost of the cruise, and how many spend at least $700 on just booze for two, show some compassion and reward those who make your trip such a great experience. Perhaps you should take a trip to India, and have Rick Shaw Drives willing to take you around for a hour for 25 cents, or a Himilayian Trek were they carry your 40 lbs duffle up and down the hillsides , and are making $1:00 day. Just be happy you where born in the USA and can afford to spend on one week, what many do not make in several years.

One must learn to filter the information they get from SOME crew members. We're often told whatever they think will get them more tips. Note: I did not say always.

Have heard some real whoppers about family dying back home and cruise line will not even let them call family from port. They need money!

One must learn to filter the information they get from SOME crew members. We're often told whatever they think will get them more tips. Note: I did not say always.

Have heard some real whoppers about family dying back home and cruise line will not even let them call family from port. They need money!

I think there are more “lies of omission” rather than whoppers. On a similar RCCL thread it was learned that a survey score of less than 92% would result in less than average DSC payout. Probably true, but what was left out was what happens with scores above 92%. They say they have more rooms or tables but leave out they have more help. And they say they can’t go home, without stating the reason is because they want the money.

We always leave the auto-Tips in place and go in with an extra $100 for extra tips as we see fit to distribute them. Fastest way out of our personal tipping pool is to give me a sob-story full of half truths.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

*shrug*

This differs from what we've been told on at least three Behind the Fun tours, one as recently as three weeks ago.

I just explained what was said to me in the post before. A Crew member told me that when we were talking about ship life and how things have changed over the years. They were going to do maybe one more contract then open their own business back home.

Based on what our resident Chief Engineer quoted from maritime law, the crew members you spoke with who had their pay docked for repatriation costs need to find a lawyer, not open a new business back home.

Based on what our resident Chief Engineer quoted from maritime law, the crew members you spoke with who had their pay docked for repatriation costs need to find a lawyer, not open a new business back home.

As I also explained previously, they never said exactly what the “travel expenses” were for, so it is possible that it wasn’t for repatriation, and therefore, is perfectly legal. I’m sure whatever it is Carnival isn’t going to risk being in violation of the law.

If by some chance I ever run across them and can happen to recall what they look like since I don’t even remember their name, and that they were in fact the person I had the conversation with, I’ll be sure to let them know your advice [emoji849].

I used to work on ships.. In addition, I do have conversations with Many crew members. Contracts differ depending on the position and the country where the crew member are from.. yes.. in Philippines i met many Philippine crew, Bartenders, wait staff, and crew stewards.. Engineers are often on different contracts.. it depends on how you get hired.. ( 3rd party?) and your country..Philippines is very expensive , so they like them to do 2 year contracts.

Crew will frequently double up on contracts. I had guys in the engine room who were doing their third 10 month contract in a row.

I'm sure that does happen but they are still different contracts. Not a single 2 year long contract. Back to back contracts are also voluntary, not required.

I'm sure that does happen but they are still different contracts. Not a single 2 year long contract. Back to back contracts are also voluntary, not required.

You do realize Chief Isn't making assumptions? When he says " he had guys" , he means guys he supervised so if he says something, it is fact.

How Do you Know? Have you spoken to a crew member from the Philippines? Have you spoken to all the Crew members? Remember there are often third parties who contract these crew out.. So the contracts vary according to your position; Entertainment, Housekeeping/ Stewards, Engineers are all hired with very different & unique terms & conditions. Look.. The point is that these Crew Members sacrifice so much here, & work VERY long hours under VERY difficult circumstances.. & While MANY of you do tip them for their hard work, & recognize their hard work... Many do NOT.. especially those from other countries who normally don't tip in their countries. Also, I have seen or heard of even people from the US who feel like " I spent enough on this Cruise", or I overspent, let me get my bill down, & then cut the gratuity..

and I just wanted to open people's eyes to the Crew member's life. These are NOT exaggerations.. I make it a point to get to know the Crew & staff VERY well when ever I sail. I am genuine when I say I care & have the most up most respect for them, & the hard work they do, so we can enjoy ourselves & be pampered.

Edited by Dreamsofriveriamaya

I will just add in here that again per the MCL 2006, the maximum time that a crew member can be contracted before becoming eligible for repatriation is 12 months. So, this is the legal limit to cruise ship contracts. As stated, whether a crew member wants to voluntarily extend or double a contract is their decision, but there are no contracts, regardless of how or where the crew are hired, in excess of 12 months.

CC: Can you talk a little about what a crewmember earns and how tips play into it?

BDB: Tipping is serious stuff. It represents well over 95% of what the crew makes. Carnival gave me something around $60 a month or so when it was all said and done. "Salary" also included the cabin you share, plenty of food and two crew parties a month. There was also an unfulfilled promise of medical care, but I knew several waiters who either got sick or had some sort of chronic condition who were immediately sent home indefinitely without pay. A few women who became pregnant while working onboard were immediately sent home without pay, as well. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was less than $80 for sure.

Tips were everything. Auto-tips were a Godsend, because anyone who thinks he/she tips enough voluntarily is usually wrong. The auto-tips were figured by how many guests are assigned to your dinner section. If you had a small section, say only 18, you were constrained by that number. The biggest sections were 22 or 24, which are a whopper of a section. But there is a lot more money to be had for that extra strain during dinner. Thus, even if the guests don't go to dinner, you get those auto-tips. They are automatically split between you and your assistant waiter for the cruise. Since you work breakfast, lunch, midnight buffet, and room service without any specific pay, those tips are well earned even if the guest opts out of the dining room constantly (by going to the supper club, for example, or eating in port).

I am not aware of Carnival ever taking a slice of this particular pie. And the timeclocks the waiters use nowadays? You don't get paid by the hour, they are just there to prove that they are not slaves.

CC: Besides the long hours, what's the hardest part of the job?

BDB: I really pride myself on being adaptable ... cheery under any circumstances. What was hard for me was that I'm very opinionated. I come from an environment of empowered people, empowered employees. On the ship, any new ideas -- memos to superiors to improve the job, for example -- were met with absolute concrete walls. They shut me down, even when it was my job, as the assistant maitre d, to try to improve things. I sent them countless reports, memos for improving efficiency. All were ignored. Then they would say, "We didn't get enough reports for you!" They didn't give a *&^%^ about any of that stuff. They literally promoted this guy who was always drunk -- I mean missing shifts while in his cabin vomiting. You're suppose to earn a set of stripes -- and it usually takes three years to get an extra half stripe [the next level up in crew hierarchy] -- but they immediately notched him up after a couple weeks. He was great at what he did ... when he made it to work!

This is from another Forum on here: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1059