How much does the crew make (mainly dining). Gratuities and tips thread

redraidersrule

Im sure this has been covered in the past and I apologize. But Im curious if anyone knows the whys behind the way Carnival distributes tips. Id assume ships don't have to follow US rules? Because I hope the waitstaff makes more than 2 bucks an hour.

I guess here is how I look at tips. With the exception of waitstaff, you get paid to do what you do. For instance housekeeping, your job is to literally clean rooms. Unless its clear that they go above and beyond a tip isn't even needed. For instance a hotel room on land, I know a lot of people tip, but I have NEVER tipped. I think its ludicrous. Now before you start yelling at me, its very rare I spend more than 4 days in a hotel. And if Im traveling on business by myself I never have the housekeeping staff in my room. I could care less if my bed is made and I reuse towels. But a cruise ship is different. I like having my bed made and who doesn't like towel animals? Also you get the FunTimes and other stuff brought to your room. Not to mention the room stewards may give the best service on the ship. Ive been on 5 cruises and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM call me by name. Its unreal the memorization those people have. Still, even with all that I have a hard time tipping $57 for two on a 7 day cruise.

The waitstaff to me seems UNDERPAID. Again us US folks are used to the waitstaff getting paid $2 an hour so they live on tips.

I have no clue what alternative services are. Website says "mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services." Yeah not sure what this is or if I use it. Unless explained to me further what this is I see this $35 for 2 on a 7 day cruise to be a waste of money.

In conclusion, I hope someone can explain to how or why the tips are done the way they are done. I guess Im wrestling with if Im tipping correctly. Im fine with the $12.95 a day. I usually just split it differently. To me it should be alternative zero, housekeeping, $2.95 and dining $10.

Why should there be an exception for waitstaff? You write that “housekeeping, your job is literally cleaning rooms”, but the job of the waitstaff is literally focusing on guests in the dining room. To me both are very busy jobs at the same level. Housekeeping has to sometimes clean the same cabin twice a day and it seems like Carnival is cutting back and giving them more rooms to clean. Yes, their job is to clean rooms but their work load has to be almost if not more busy than the waitstaff.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I do have a special soft spot for the housekeepers because almost every time I leave my cabin they’re hard at work cleaning cabins at all hours of the day. The waitstaff is the same, work hard for long hours of the day. I’m just confused on why you place the waitstaff higher on the tip scale.

I hope this doesn’t come off confrontational either. Different experiences for everyone on cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always leave tips as is. I figure Carnival knows the correct percentage and what staff is paid and I've heard their salary is minimal. Personally, I wish Carnival (and all restaurants on land for that matter) would charge guests what they need to charge in order to pay their employees fairly and do away with tips. Since Carnival does expect tips to pay their staff a fair wage, I'm ok with them adding the daily tips to my S&S and just think of it as part of my cruise fare.

Why should there be an exception for waitstaff? You write that “housekeeping, your job is literally cleaning rooms”, but the job of the waitstaff is literally focusing on guests in the dining room. To me both are very busy jobs at the same level. Housekeeping has to sometimes clean the same cabin twice a day and it seems like Carnival is cutting back and giving them more rooms to clean. Yes, their job is to clean rooms but their work load has to be almost if not more busy than the waitstaff.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I do have a special soft spot for the housekeepers because almost every time I leave my cabin they’re hard at work cleaning cabins at all hours of the day. The waitstaff is the same, work hard for long hours of the day. I’m just confused on why you place the waitstaff higher on the tip scale.

I hope this doesn’t come off confrontational either. Different experiences for everyone on cruises.

I already explained. Being an American I am used to dining staff being paid below minimum wage. If you are on land waitstaff are being paid $2 an hour whereas housekeeping are probably getting a minimum $7-8 an hour. Probably not the same as on a cruise ship, that's what Im wondering. So if its like land, waitstaff deserve considerably more.

I already explained. Being an American I am used to dining staff being paid below minimum wage. If you are on land waitstaff are being paid $2 an hour whereas housekeeping are probably getting a minimum $7-8 an hour. Probably not the same as on a cruise ship, that's what Im wondering. So if its like land, waitstaff deserve considerably more.

I agree, I don't think a cruise ship can be compared to what happens on land, esp. since things vary so much country-by-country. We really don't know who gets what wages.

So my take is to allow the Cruise Lines to distribute the auto-gratuities based on what they worked out with the employees in their contracts. And tip extra in cash if I think someone really went above and beyond.

There are alot of other threads on CC where this tip thing is argued over and over and over - the points of contention are always the same.

In my view the auto-tip is part of the cost of cruising. If you pull the tips any cash you give houskeeping and waitstaff has to be turned in to the tip pool. And Yes, they do know who pulled tips. If the auto-tips are too much for you to afford - you may want to consider saving up awhile longer before you cruise.

Here is the breakdown, per day: (copied from Carnival site)

Housekeeping Team: $4.05 ($5.05 for suites)

Dining Team: $6.40

Alternative Services: $2.50

I couldnt care less what the crew makes to be honest with you. Cruising seems like the only industry in the world where so many are caught up on what the employees make? Its simply none of my business. If it werent good pay, they wouldnt have workers is the way I see it. One thing is for sure, they make WAY more money working on a cruise ship than they would on their homeland.

I do all I can do. I leave the auto grats in place and tip in cash extra to those who deserve it. Other than that, its out of my hands

I already explained. Being an American I am used to dining staff being paid below minimum wage. If you are on land waitstaff are being paid $2 an hour whereas housekeeping are probably getting a minimum $7-8 an hour. Probably not the same as on a cruise ship, that's what Im wondering. So if its like land, waitstaff deserve considerably more.[/

you are way behind the times, servers haven"t made $2 in many years. I own a restaurant in Colorado and servers make $6.30, in January, $7.30.

Im sure this has been covered in the past and I apologize. But Im curious if anyone knows the whys behind the way Carnival distributes tips. Id assume ships don't have to follow US rules? Because I hope the waitstaff makes more than 2 bucks an hour.

I guess here is how I look at tips. With the exception of waitstaff, you get paid to do what you do. For instance housekeeping, your job is to literally clean rooms. Unless its clear that they go above and beyond a tip isn't even needed. For instance a hotel room on land, I know a lot of people tip, but I have NEVER tipped. I think its ludicrous. Now before you start yelling at me, its very rare I spend more than 4 days in a hotel. And if Im traveling on business by myself I never have the housekeeping staff in my room. I could care less if my bed is made and I reuse towels. But a cruise ship is different. I like having my bed made and who doesn't like towel animals? Also you get the FunTimes and other stuff brought to your room. Not to mention the room stewards may give the best service on the ship. Ive been on 5 cruises and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM call me by name. Its unreal the memorization those people have. Still, even with all that I have a hard time tipping $57 for two on a 7 day cruise.

The waitstaff to me seems UNDERPAID. Again us US folks are used to the waitstaff getting paid $2 an hour so they live on tips.

I have no clue what alternative services are. Website says "mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services." Yeah not sure what this is or if I use it. Unless explained to me further what this is I see this $35 for 2 on a 7 day cruise to be a waste of money.

In conclusion, I hope someone can explain to how or why the tips are done the way they are done. I guess Im wrestling with if Im tipping correctly. Im fine with the $12.95 a day. I usually just split it differently. To me it should be alternative zero, housekeeping, $2.95 and dining $10.

Just stop thinking about it. Prepay the tips, when you pay for your trip, and forget about it. If you want to tip someone extra, than do so, but think about it as a service charge and that's all that is needed to know.

Tips are done this way since the beginning of time. It is not for us to judge how it is given, to whom gets a cut, or what their salary is. I am just a person that does not care. Their choices, not mine. I want the service, and I pay for it.

By the way, saying that the tips are a waste of money? You pay for trip, and the tips are part of the trip, so if the tips are a waste, isn't the whole trip a waste of money?

Sorry, I’m from California and forget that our waitstaff still get minimum wage plus tips.

I already explained. Being an American I am used to dining staff being paid below minimum wage. If you are on land waitstaff are being paid $2 an hour whereas housekeeping are probably getting a minimum $7-8 an hour. Probably not the same as on a cruise ship, that's what Im wondering. So if its like land, waitstaff deserve considerably more.[/

you are way behind the times, servers haven"t made $2 in many years. I own a restaurant in Colorado and servers make $6.30, in January, $7.30.

California restaurants have to pay minimum wage. That is $10.00 an hour I believe and going up again in January. My daughter works in a restaurant so I know she makes this plus tips. I also don't know why everyone worries about the breakdown of the tips. I leave my auto tip in place and tip more if warranted. As someone said if you take off the auto tips and tip cash they have to turn it into the tip pool.

Candi

By the way, saying that the tips are a waste of money? You pay for trip, and the tips are part of the trip, so if the tips are a waste, isn't the whole trip a waste of money?

Try reading comprehension. I was talking about the alternative services. Still have no clue what that is.

Depends on the state. Louisiana still makes $2.13!

To OP...I am curious on all of that too. All you'll get is conjecture or what an employee told a guest. That info cannot be trusted. People ask me all the time how much money I make. There's no way I'm telling someone who I'm expecting to tip me that I make $200-300 a night.

Without getting down into the dirt of another tipping thread, to answer the OP's question as to why others get tipped as well as wait staff, it is because cabin stewards and wait staff make about the same money, and some of the "misc. services" people even less. Typically, the total compensation package for front line guest services (wait staff and stewards) is around $1200/month, which is made up of a combination of wages and DSC (I call it a service charge, not a gratuity). By law, the minimum wage for any seafarer is $614/month (about $3.50/hr), for a 40 hour work week. Even this amount can be (and typically is) made up of a combination of a very small wage and a portion of the DSC. And when you break that $1200/month figure down it still comes to around $3.70/hr given the required hours of work.

Please provide a breakdown of your income.

How much of it is a salary, hourly wage, year-end or, performance bonus.

I would like to assess if I feel - as an outsider with no intimate knowledge of your industry - if you are being paid too much.

I'm curious after all.

In response to the question concerning alternative service, if I'm not mistaken this would include people working the lido restaurant, specialty restaurants, cleaners, and I believe kitchen help.

I was the paymaster on the now defunct Paquet cruise ship the Rhapsody - that was a long time ago, but the base pay for waiters & cabin stewards was the same. Pay was very low (by our standards) for all of the "service" workers; however, some of them made more than I did after tips.

You also need to understand that they get room and board, uniforms, and free medical - which is a very large expense to cruise lines - so you can't just look at their salary and assume that the cruise lines are taking advantage of people from third world countries. The majority are able to save a lot of money while working onboard & send a lot home to their families.

Oh look...another tipping/what do they make/they are underpaid type thread. :rolleyes:

Don't go far, another "MDR Dress Code" "discussion" is sure to start any moment....For as long as I have cruised and will cruise, I will never get the infatuation with the MDR and it's related dress requirements, and why so many seem to be concerned with the salary and or compensation the crew receive.

Try reading comprehension. I was talking about the alternative services. Still have no clue what that is.

That's an easy one, and I won't return an insult. Alternative services are all the people that service you that you don't have direct contact with. They work and help the people you see. In many locations, not just a ship, the waiter, would collect the tip, but back tip the bus boy, and possibly the bartender, etc. The room stewards have helpers and runners. They get your requests, but must ask others to help, so they pass back some tips. It's a big game, and what you call a waste of money is part of the culture on the ship.

Here is the real deal, if you hand the tip to the server, they still know you are not on auto tips, and they are required to tip the others. The only way to get around this, is if you just don't tip. But regardless, everyone gets their share.

Hopefully this you can comprehend. I've been around long enough, to know how the service industry works.

Something that people seem to forget also is that most of the crew are from other countries. If they are paid US wages, the exchange rate is frequently in their favor.

In the end, it isn't anyone's business how much they make or where the money comes from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In response to the question concerning alternative service, if I'm not mistaken this would include people working the lido restaurant, specialty restaurants, cleaners, and I believe kitchen help.

I was the paymaster on the now defunct Paquet cruise ship the Rhapsody - that was a long time ago, but the base pay for waiters & cabin stewards was the same. Pay was very low (by our standards) for all of the "service" workers; however, some of them made more than I did after tips.

You also need to understand that they get room and board, uniforms, and free medical - which is a very large expense to cruise lines - so you can't just look at their salary and assume that the cruise lines are taking advantage of people from third world countries. The majority are able to save a lot of money while working onboard & send a lot home to their families.

Alternative services also include the person pushing around the beverage cart on Lido at breakfast, cooks working the omelet stations, dessert stations, Deli, Pizza, Seafood Shacks, BBQ, laundry, etc.