Bermuda moped question

BostonBiker

Mopeds are a bad idea. The roads are very narrow. And they drive on the British side of the road, which is the source of many accidents with people turning head on into oncoming traffic.

I agree...and I've been a motorcycle rider for years. Moped accidents are easy to have. And while you're getting the medical attention needed and then completing all the financial and legal mess you now find yourself in, the ship sails. For a land based vacation, yea, ok to do. The hotel will still be there for you later. Regardless of the port, hire transportation if desired....my opinion.

The best answer: DON'T!!!!

My wife and I were strolling around the Dockyards and stopped to watch the moped renters mount and take off. Many times the attendant assisting would chase them up the road yelling that they were on the wrong side of the road. Suddenly a bus comes barreling around the corner the rest had no problem remembering what side of the road to be on. Many riders looked unsteady as they took off. My wife and I opted for a bus/ferry pass.

Of course, it is totally your decision to rent a moped to travel around Bermuda.

I am adding my 2cents because I had a moped accident while on our honeymoon in Bermuda thirty four years ago.

I was on my way to the Southampton Princess Beach Club when I braked on sand and the bike went out from under me.

Luckily, my resulting injuries were road rash on both legs ,no bruises,no broken bones !

The staff at the Southampton Princess was wonderful. After I cleaned up in their women’s locker room, the staff got a cab for us to go to the hospital where I was given a tetanus shot and instructions on bandaging the affected areas.

My DH and I have vacationed in Bermuda (both resort stays and cruises) twelve times.

Over the years, we have seen an increase in traffic on the roads , drivers speeding and nervous moped rental drivers. We have heard from cab drivers and othe local Bermudians that renting a moped is not recommended.

After the moped accident, I have never ridden a moped again.

Just another point of view. My husband and I rented from Oleanders. Available in walking distance from the dock. You get helmets for the riders and the drivers have to "practice" before you take off. My husband has a motorcycle license so he was comfortable with it. They do drive on the left so you need to be comfortable with that.

I was cautious before trying it. We ended up having a great time and covered the island. Cars do drive fast there but just stay to the side of the road and let them pass. Signage wasn't great on the island but luckily it was fairly easy to navigate with landmarks. Rented the moped over a couple of days and was able to park it out in front of the ship at night along with all the others doing the same.

I am going to agree with most here, don’t do it. I am saying this even though I rented one in the mid 90’s and had no problems. To be clear I was extremely careful and absolutely no drinking while riding. Now roll the clock forward and I have had friends who are motorcycle riders who have been involved in accidents there on mopeds. There tends to be a lot of sand on these roads and a lot more traffic now. The good news is I was just there a year or so ago and the public transportation is much much better now and really no need for a moped. I used the public transportation and it was just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums