Specialty restaurant charge no longer includes gratuity

jr1946

What about the tips added to the final bill . Do they deduct my tip for the regular restaurant which I will not be eating the night we eat in the specialty restaurant or am I double charged for tips.

No they do not deduct anything for the nights that you were not in the MDR.

Definitely says gratuity included, both online and in receipt given when I bought Five Night Dining Package this week (for $115 total) for Symphony Jan 12, 2019. I will be cruising with the receipt in my pocket.

Just off the anthem. We booked the ultimate dining before the cruise and before the new policy, so no extra 18%. In restaurants our bill for the meal was always zero with no gratuities. On the nights we purchased wine, 18% was added to the bill for the wine.

Definitely says gratuity included, both online and in receipt given when I bought Five Night Dining Package this week (for $115 total) for Symphony Jan 12, 2019. I will be cruising with the receipt in my pocket.

Where can I find that it says the gratuity is included for dining? I reserved First Night Done Right and a 3 night dining package and the email they sent confirming the purchase doesn't say anything about gratuities. I don't have any other receipt that I know of. In my cruise planner, it's listed in my calendar and the small print under "Terms and Conditions" says the service charge is included on the food portion. But that's not really a receipt. The terms and conditions for First Night Done Right don't say anything about gratuities in the cruise planner. Where did you get a receipt?

Where can I find that it says the gratuity is included for dining? I reserved First Night Done Right and a 3 night dining package and the email they sent confirming the purchase doesn't say anything about gratuities. I don't have any other receipt that I know of. In my cruise planner, it's listed in my calendar and the small print under "Terms and Conditions" says the service charge is included on the food portion. But that's not really a receipt. The terms and conditions for First Night Done Right don't say anything about gratuities in the cruise planner. Where did you get a receipt?

I went to this webpage and saved a PDF copy of it with the date I saved it (you could print it as an alternative as the date you print will display on your print-off):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/specialty-dining-package-gratuity

The text reads:

Q: Are there any gratuities included in the dining package?

A: Yes, gratuities are included in all specialty restaurant cover charges and dining packages. [/Quote]

I went to this webpage and saved a PDF copy of it with the date I saved it (you could print it as an alternative as the date you print will display on your print-off):

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/specialty-dining-package-gratuity

The text reads:

That is the first time i have actually seen that about specialty restaurant gratuitys although i had heard that on CC.

Irrespective of that the service at least 90% of the time deserves the additional cash tip i give to the waiter/waitress.

That is the first time i have actually seen that about specialty restaurant gratuitys although i had heard that on CC.

Irrespective of that the service at least 90% of the time deserves the additional cash tip i give to the waiter/waitress.

Oh of course -- I still give a tip. It's just when they try to hike up the price by another 18%, it's a bit misleading.

Particularly as:

1) Your daily gratuities from your cruise goes towards 'dining services' (not just MDR as many believe) as per the Royal Caribbean website breakdown of this

2) All specialty dining cover charges / specialty packages INCLUDE gratuities

3) They add an additional 18% to new cover charges / specialty packages specifically FOR gratuities -- as if you haven't paid them twice over already!!

IF the staff get the gratuities from this, then that is wonderful. But IF this is just another excuse to hike up prices under the guide of 'gratuities' then it is very frustrating.

We pay all of our gratuities as requested by Royal Caribbean, and then we tip extra for the staff who go above and beyond, including in specialty restaurants. Knowing that the money goes in their pockets, not in Royal's, is the main issue for me. I certainly hope that the hard working staff are getting their pockets lined!!!

Oh of course -- I still give a tip. It's just when they try to hike up the price by another 18%, it's a bit misleading.

Particularly as:

1) Your daily gratuities from your cruise goes towards 'dining services' (not just MDR as many believe) as per the Royal Caribbean website breakdown of this

2) All specialty dining cover charges / specialty packages INCLUDE gratuities

3) They add an additional 18% to new cover charges / specialty packages specifically FOR gratuities -- as if you haven't paid them twice over already!!

IF the staff get the gratuities from this, then that is wonderful. But IF this is just another excuse to hike up prices under the guide of 'gratuities' then it is very frustrating.

We pay all of our gratuities as requested by Royal Caribbean, and then we tip extra for the staff who go above and beyond, including in specialty restaurants. Knowing that the money goes in their pockets, not in Royal's, is the main issue for me. I certainly hope that the hard working staff are getting their pockets lined!!!

We always prepay our tips and all the additional tips i give are cash tips i hand directly to the individual concerned.

Just one more reason I won't be setting foot in any of these specialty restaurants.

The term "All Inclusive" should really not be applied anymore when the majority of the food and beverage on board and none of the gratuities are actually included.

I think many have this belief because of how RCI used to communicate the breakdown of the daily gratuity. This is obviously old information, but several years ago when the daily amount was $11.65 ($13.90 for suite guests), this was the official breakdown:

• Waiter: $3.75
  • Assistant Waiter: $2.15
  • Head Waiter: $0.75
  • Stateroom Attendant: $5.00, or $7.25 for suite guests

RCI has been less transparent about it ("simplified"?) in recent years, hence the "dining services" category:

• Dining Services: $6.10
  • Stateroom Attendant: $3.45, or $6.10 for suite guests
  • Other Hotel Services: $3.95, or $4.30 for suite guests

On the face of it, it would appear as though the dining crew and cabin steward received a decrease in daily gratuities :confused:

Just one more reason I won't be setting foot in any of these specialty restaurants.

The term "All Inclusive" should really not be applied anymore when the majority of the food and beverage on board and none of the gratuities are actually included.

Never thought cruises were all inclusive (have cruised for over 40 years), we used the term nickel and dime, but that's a lot of change , we do like upscale resorts like Sandals who are truly AI and while they are not cheap everything is included , no tipping allow, restaurants way better than MDR equal to some specialty also love swim up bars with top shelf stuff.

Never thought cruises were all inclusive (have cruised for over 40 years), we used the term nickel and dime, but that's a lot of change , we do like upscale resorts like Sandals who are truly AI and while they are not cheap everything is included , no tipping allow, restaurants way better than MDR equal to some specialty also love swim up bars with top shelf stuff.

I agree there is a big difference between cruise and hotel all inclusives although hotels don't move to different locations like a ship does.

There are true all-inclusive cruise lines. Seabourne is an example. However, they are far more expensive than Royal Caribbean (except for Royal Caribbean Star Class and that is essentially all inclusive). The truth is that the prices that Royal Caribbean charges for ordinary (non-suite) staterooms are simply not high enough to support an all inclusive experience. Royal Caribbean does not make any profit on cruisers who purchase the least expensive rooms and then do not spend any more money except for the automatic gratuities. This was explained several years ago in a CNBC documentary entitled "Cruise Inc. Big Money on the High Seas" (still available on the internet). If Royal Caribbean did raise its prices enough to offer an all inclusive experience, it would lose a lot of business to NCL and Carnival.

There are true all-inclusive cruise lines. Seabourne is an example. However, they are far more expensive than Royal Caribbean (except for Royal Caribbean Star Class and that is essentially all inclusive). The truth is that the prices that Royal Caribbean charges for ordinary (non-suite) staterooms are simply not high enough to support an all inclusive experience. Royal Caribbean does not make any profit on cruisers who purchase the least expensive rooms and then do not spend any more money except for the automatic gratuities. This was explained several years ago in a CNBC documentary entitled "Cruise Inc. Big Money on the High Seas" (still available on the internet). If Royal Caribbean did raise its prices enough to offer an all inclusive experience, it would lose a lot of business to NCL and Carnival.

Keep in mind that NCL has included most booze for quite awhile on their "Free at Sea" promotion that seems to always be running. They do make you pay the gratuities on the 'value' of it though.

Regardless, those high end cruise lines that do offer true all inclusiveness I suspect are on a higher level all around that justifies their price. More than just free booze and restaurants. The specialty dining offered by the budget cruise lines are not really all that great, not like you're getting a Michelin star dinner or anything. Go to a local land based steakhouse and for a lot less than $42 you can get a lot better than Chops, and they're still making a profit. So all I'm saying is, they could move closer towards being 'all inclusive' without it being vastly more expensive and still turn a healthy profit.

But I'll concede the point that they don't actually market themselves as all inclusive. Just feels like cruises in general have the reputation of being so, even though they're far from it.

KGo to a local land based steakhouse and for a lot less than $42 you can get a lot better than Chops, and they're still making a profit.

I don't think I can agree with that. True, there are local steakhouses (like the Outback or the LongHorn) where you can dine for less than $42 but they are not "a lot better than Chops". Mortons and Ruth's Chris are a lot better than Chops but a steak dinner at either of those (including appetizers and desert to make it comparable to Chops) costs considerably more than $42.

I don't think I can agree with that. True, there are local steakhouses (like the Outback or the LongHorn) where you can dine for less than $42 but they are not "a lot better than Chops". Mortons and Ruth's Chris are a lot better than Chops but a steak dinner at either of those (including appetizers and desert to make it comparable to Chops) costs considerably more than $42.

Ruth Chris which is a really great steak place , normally has a special for less than 45 for a three course meal, at least it was there on our last couple of visits

I have a non gratuity dining package question..... I am looking to get a 3 or 4 night package and I understand that you pick a standard time you want eg 8pm and that on day 1 you will receive details of the restaurant and days. My question is if I don’t like the restaurants I’ve been given can I change them? I absolutely hate Wonderland and if I got that I’d find the whole thing a waste of money. Also is 150 Central Park a restaurant that could be included on the dining package? Thanks in advance.

Aussie Cruiser

I have a non gratuity dining package question..... I am looking to get a 3 or 4 night package and I understand that you pick a standard time you want eg 8pm and that on day 1 you will receive details of the restaurant and days. My question is if I don’t like the restaurants I’ve been given can I change them? I absolutely hate Wonderland and if I got that I’d find the whole thing a waste of money. Also is 150 Central Park a restaurant that could be included on the dining package? Thanks in advance.

Aussie Cruiser

Best advice is go to the speciality restaurants as soon a you embark,check them out regarding menus, ambience and book the times you want then.