Specialty restaurant charge no longer includes gratuity

jr1946

Right now I'm on Oasis. Any packages or paid reservations already made prior to the cruise will not have anything additional charged. New, on board purchases are getting the 18% applied.

Can anyone else confirm that already purchased/prepaid dining packages are not being charged the additional 18% gratuity? I've purchased the 4-night package for 5 people and an additional 18% additional fee would be a significant upcharge!

Not really a problem, we usually tip $10 a couple anyway. So this is actually less.

Not a huge deal, $15.12 on an $84 per couple tab. Only $5 more than we paid anyway, but considering how much RCI has raised the price in the last few years... :(

Next up will be that they will put an 18% tip on when you use your BOGO coupon.

They are probaby doing that already, it's probably automatically programmed.

We all know that their IT prowess is concentrated in the "raising the price" area.

Gratuity or not, it seems to me that Chops is overpriced. I can dine at a good steak restaurant for around $42 per person on land. Granted, I understand that this includes an appetizer, sides, salad and dessert, but I usually don't get anything but the steak and maybe a couple of sides when I dine at a steak place on land.

My understanding was that the idea for the price structure was that it was an upcharge, not just a charge, you know, in that they were theoretically deducting the value of what you would have eaten in the MDR. But it seems it's just not worth what they're charging. We do like the specialty restaurants, but Chops, in particular, seems like a bit of a brazen money grab.

Keep in mind, I'm really not criticizing at all. They can charge what they want to and we can decide whether it's worth the upcharge or not. To me, it's not. If people stay away in droves, maybe they'll drop the price.

Things change FAST. We went to Chops on Anthem 10/09/2017. Price was $42pp, and the menu had been simplified, with no aged beef option.

Chops Guest receipt was for $0. Bottom read "a small fee, payable to your server has been included" We added $10. But if they begin to add 18% on to the $42, that is a significant increase. Wasn't it around $25 when it first opened?

Yes, that's what I recall, and I believe that included the big Porterhouse too,

I'm pretty sure we paid $20 many moons ago.:')

Not really a problem, we usually tip $10 a couple anyway. So this is actually less.

We usually add $10 per couple extra too, but now it will be more at Chops because dinner on Allure (no package) is $49 per person so that would be $17.82.

Can someone please clarify. Sometimes takes me longer to catch on.

We have purchased two packages for specialty dining for four nights at a cost of $120 per person. I had lots of on board credit, so, might as well spend it. When I look at my account on line, I see my OBC is reduced by $240. When I board the ship, Harmony of the SEas, and I finish eating at one of the restaurants, will I be presented with a bill for 18% gratuity?

Can someone please clarify. Sometimes takes me longer to catch on.

We have purchased two packages for specialty dining for four nights at a cost of $120 per person. I had lots of on board credit, so, might as well spend it. When I look at my account on line, I see my OBC is reduced by $240. When I board the ship, Harmony of the SEas, and I finish eating at one of the restaurants, will I be presented with a bill for 18% gratuity?

No.

Prepurchased dining packages add 18% purchased online or on board too. Bottom line, specialty dining now has an 18% added gratuity.

I just booked the 4 night dining package for my Allure Feb 2018 cruise after reading this, and it didn't charge me an extra 18% ... It was a flat $100/pp.

Just another way to squeeze your wallet without added benefit to the guest. Until now cover charges included a gratuity for service. This is a price raise bottom line

WE have always added cash for the waiter. If there is a 18% surcharge for a “tip” that used to be included in the price..... well, NO more cash for the server. What is even sadder is that the added 18% will be distributed to include others instead of just benefiting the excellent server that enhanced our evening.