Specialty restaurant charge no longer includes gratuity

jr1946

But the 18% is added when ordered in the MDR also.

Still a win-win for me. My husband is very picky and eats like a bird. To pay the extra charge for him in Chops is a waste, so I get a better steak and he happily picks at his food in the MDR - we're both happy.

Within the terms and conditions used for NZ the ultimate dining package says that gratuities are included: "Packages include service charge and food portion only for dinner and, when available, lunch service.". This is good since RCL is selling cruises in the NZ market and the local consumer law requires this to be the case.

^ many other markets are the same way in that grats/service charges/taxes have to be rolled into the selling price. NA is not one of those markets.

For my cruise in April those exact terms are there for all the dining packages I checked so it doesn't appear to be different in the US market.

My bill from Giovani's last night (INDY/TA) DID include gratuities and had the same wording at the end as always...."Additional Tip". No 18% was added. We were offered a special for the evening( $21PP).

For my cruise in April those exact terms are there for all the dining packages I checked so it doesn't appear to be different in the US market.

For now, for that sailing. My point was that in those other markets, RCI can't add grats/fees separately - it can do so in the US.

My bill from Giovani's last night (INDY/TA) DID include gratuities and had the same wording at the end as always...."Additional Tip". No 18% was added. We were offered a special for the evening( $21PP).

Good to hear.

For now, for that sailing. My point was that in those other markets, RCI can't add grats/fees separately - it can do so in the US.

The FAQ on the US website says it is included. If I pre-book under those conditions I expect it to be included.

I have the 2 night BOGO booked for my Freedom sailing at the end of this month. I was not charged 18% in my Cruise planner. Will I be charged at dinner?

Unlikely they will add more gratuity to a prepaid dinner.

The FAQ on the US website says it is included. If I pre-book under those conditions I expect it to be included.

The website is usually the last place that you'll find up to date info. There were many threads on here with people complaining that at the time they booked, room service was free, yet when they got on the ship they were charged. Unlikely to happen with this issue, but the point is to not rely on the web site for a definitive answer to an issue/policy.

I have the 2 night BOGO booked for my Freedom sailing at the end of this month. I was not charged 18% in my Cruise planner. Will I be charged at dinner?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I very highly doubt it.

It's not that much different from when they raised the gratuities from 15% to 18%. All those that prepaid the 15% were not charged extra once on board.

Unlikely they will add more gratuity to a prepaid dinner.

I very highly doubt it.

It's not that much different from when they raised the gratuities from 15% to 18%. All those that prepaid the 15% were not charged extra once on board.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The website is usually the last place that you'll find up to date info. There were many threads on here with people complaining that at the time they booked, room service was free, yet when they got on the ship they were charged. Unlikely to happen with this issue, but the point is to not rely on the web site for a definitive answer to an issue/policy.

I am well aware the website is the last place to be updated my point is if I have pre- paid for something, under given conditions, I do not expect the conditions to change. I do expect the contract to be definitive.

Just to confirm - does the price I paid for the package include a gratuity? I believe it does? I know I can leave extra for exceptional service but I do not want to tip twice if the service is average. Likewise, I do not want to shaft the waiters either.

Thanks!

Just to confirm - does the price I paid for the package include a gratuity? I believe it does? I know I can leave extra for exceptional service but I do not want to tip twice if the service is average. Likewise, I do not want to shaft the waiters either.

It seems like all prepaid ones do and on board and perhaps future ones will be billed separately - so either way it's paid.

really be nice if RCCL and other lines stopped all this additional/forced tips and just increased price of the cruises and dinners to show real price, then let us tip what and who we want to tip like it was 10 years ago

If you want that, book under Aussie rules.

really be nice if RCCL and other lines stopped all this additional/forced tips and just increased price of the cruises and dinners to show real price, then let us tip what and who we want to tip like it was 10 years ago

Ten years ago it was spelled out pretty clearly who should be tipped and what the "suggested" amount was. If RCI changed the strategy to what you propose pricing would go up and we would still be tipping the staff. It is the American way. Maybe it could work if tipping was not allowed but I suspect that would not be part of the price increase. As far as the change in the specialty dining that is being discussed in this thread, RCI has simply found a "nice" way to increase the price by 18% without actually saying that is what they are doing. They did this with the drink packages a long time ago. The posted price used to include the 18% gratuity but now it is added on to the price.