Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Tasty looking cheese Jeffers.....the good old potato peeler has many good uses!

M....what weather you are having...glad nobody got hurt.

Lois, hope the eye test goes well....

Been trawling around the garden centres and nurseries today with DD who is such a help....finally got around to buying myself a small but very handy BBQ for the summer to enjoy the charcoal grilling....ordered the hanging baskets and bought a few plants to perk the garden up....including a very nice Rhododendron....

River pub lunch tomorrow with extended family.....lovely weather here considering it’s a bank holiday!

Happy Weekend To All 😊

Finally home. Boston was lots of fun. Went to Eataly a few times and restocked some staples. Most of the wine didn't make it home though... lol

We were home for only an hour yesterday, then went to Saratoga for a wine dinner. Just what we needed, but we've known the chef and sommelier for over 10 years so we couldn't resist. We stayed over and got back home this morning.

We too had pretty vicious storms last evening. We were on a covered patio for the dinner and eventually had to shuffle tables to get further under the roof. The rain was torrential, and the wind was blowing it horizontal at times! Luckily I'd brought an umbrella. I kept Chris dry while we moved. And I kept the rain out of my wine.

Relaxing is the primary thing on the agenda today. But I think we'll have to go for a run at some point. Time to start burning calories. We have our next (short) trip in only 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hi, that cheese does look delicious:D

The eye Dr was very nice........seems my eyes have changed somewhat and I need a new prescription. Not sure what is causing it but I am not as nearsighted as I once was........he suggested I get the progressive lens but they are almost triple the price:eek:......so I am just going with new singular's......the appointment went very smoothly anyway. I need to go later this week to pick up the new ones.

Greetings Coolers! More sun today! Myster is off for his first golf game of the season. He is pumped! :)

I am not athletic but it seems that I can be involved in a dangerous sport........

untitled4.png

Have a great day all!

An interesting article on Nutritional Research......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/second-opinion-alcohol180505-1.4648331

From the article.....

""Glass of wine a day could shave years off your life," one recent headline warned. "Just five alcoholic drinks a week could shorten your life," said another.

Similar headlines appeared all over the world following a study published last month in The Lancet that concluded there might be no safe level of alcohol consumption.

The news coverage of the alcohol study was the last straw for Vinay Prasad, an Oregon oncologist and medical policy researcher.

Prasad went away and prepared a seminar complete with data slides and references. He returned to Twitter two weeks later with a tweetorial — a series of tweets forming a mini-lecture — to explain why he believes this type of nutritional research is deeply flawed.

The studies often end up in the news under contradictory headlines suggesting coffee or red wine or some other nutrient has been found to be either healthy or deadly.

"Not a week that goes by that we don't read about one of those things," Prasad said. "For those of us who follow the health news, it seems as if doctors can't get anything straight because one week coffee's good for you and the next week it's bad for you."

Prasad presented slides citing research by John Ioannidis, a Stanford professor of medicine who has published a series of papers exposing weaknesses in nutritional epidemiology.

"Nutritional epidemiology is a scandal," Ioannidis told CBC News. "It should just go to the waste bin.""

The eye Dr was very nice........seems my eyes have changed somewhat and I need a new prescription. Not sure what is causing it but I am not as nearsighted as I once was.......

The same has happened to me. I understand that myopia becomes less severe as one is older. Could it be that you are getting older?

Thanks J! Your dedication to your self-determined Sunday duty is awe-inspiring! Much appreciated! :)

I enjoyed Clarkson's thoughts on why the show was discontinued. It seems to have merit! And of course his blow by blow description of his performance was hilarious!

Hi M,

You're welcome. :) His performance on Millionaire I thought was excellent. It was what anyone hiring him for the programme would have expected but reigned in a little.

It is ridiculous that in the rush to PC by the beeb when they fired him, they have lost one of the most talented creative talents who made Top Gear look easy to do and has earned millions as a result on Netflix and doing the other stuff. To be clear, I never rated him as a broadcaster before I realised he was a good journalist and column writer, so I warmed to him having realised that he isn't the ignorant oaf he plays up to and pretends to be. He is a pretty talented, cultured, thoughtful hardworking person of literary talent who very often expresses what all of us thinks but have not found the right words.

He made a good point about how boring a programme is when people with limited general knowledge earn £8k answering a few feeble questions and I suspect that his brain is already trying to work out a format that improves on it.

Jeff....I’ve never had much time for Clarkson as you know but have to agree that he smashed Millionaire last night doing a much better job than Mr Tarrant ever did.

Glorious day....and lunch....at the River Pub....had the pink roast beef which was perfect followed by the waffle with banana and butterscotch ice cream...four paws got a huge doggy bag too so we are all happy! 😊

Nice, mysty. I pay someone else to do that for me! :)

Back at work. A few hundred e-mails deleted. Now to get to some real work.

We decided to go to Germany for Memorial Day weekend. We had thought that we'd be picking up a new Audi later this year, but it probably won't happen. Since we really miss Germany, and flights to Frankfurt were cheap, we decided that a long weekend would offer some consolation for that. We'll be there for just two days.

Any suggestions for Frankfurt? It seems to not be one of the hot tourist destinations and I'm not finding any useful guidebooks. I know river cruises stop there so there must be something to do. If all else fails we could take a day trip to Köln or Würzburg or Heidelberg...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Good Afternoon all ..... from a very lovely Uk today. 35c in our garden and it is blissfully calm and quiet with just a few birds twittering.

M ... lovely daily funny. :D

JP. I know Frankfurt and Cologne pretty well due to many business visits and Cologne a few times with wife and family for the Christmas markets. Frankfurt and Cologne both have older areas but both are not places we would go to as a destination and not even really a detour. The highlight of Cologne I'd say is a really interesting museum but that wouldn't justify even a detour.

I think we've talked about this before but have you done the Romantic Road and taken in the castles? Have you thought of an Austrian rather than German trip - or both. You could convince yourself it is GermanyPlus. Or perhaps Munich and Austria if Germany has to be included. The Octoberfest might be a target date and you could then take in the fresh beer in Germany and the heurige fresh gruner wine in Austria. Salzburg is a train trip from Munich and I have been to Salzburg a few times when we've flown into or out of Munich instead of Salzburg. Now that would be a crawl worth doing. :)

Jeff, thanks so much for all the suggestions. We have actually done all of them at one time or another. We spent a few days on the Romantischerstrasse in 2013, during the river cruise that didn't happen because the Danube reached levels not seen since the 1500s. We've done road trips through Austria in our new Audis both times. We've been to Munich twice and Salzburg once (though more time in either place would not be a bad thing). Enjoyed every bit of each of those trips!

The thing is, we have that specific long weekend off, so we're locked into those dates with no flexibility. For those exact dates, Frankfurt was dirt cheap for plane tickets. We needed a direct flight from JFK in order to maximize the time away. Frankfurt was less than half the price of anywhere else, and 1/3 the price of Paris, for example. Sometimes where we go is a function of what's cheap at a specific time. It's kind of fun! The tickets were so cheap that I used points for one of them. So it's almost a free vacation!

I realize that it's not a first-choice type of destination but we will have a great time regardless. We always do. :D And worst case scenario, if we get there and it's not so fun, there are a number of places within an hour's train ride where we can go the next day. We are very comfortable making stuff up on the fly.

PS. Any interest in a Cooler Party on 6 September in London?

Nice weather Jeff. We lived in England twice in the 70's and the summers were never warm. Each time it was the year after a heatwave and everyone said "you should have been here last year"!! It didn’t help when we were all rugged up!

JP. How lucky to find cheap flights. We pay a fortune to fly from here. Some of our friends won’t pay business class fare so only fly domestically now. We will continue to fly overseas until the money or our health fails.

Even airfares domestically in Australia aren’t cheap.

Less than 2 weeks till we start moving in to our new house.

The floors (wood) and carpets are going in this week. We did a drive by yesterday and they are doing the front garden. The houses across the road aren’t finished yet so looks like we will be living in a building site for a while.

We are looking forward to getting settled in. This is our 24th move and not looking forward to putting everything away. Last time!

Good Morning all from another really lovely day in the UK. :)

Yesterday was the hotest 7th May since records started and it seemed that all of Britain headed for either the beach or to sit quietly on a motorway.

JP, I guess on a shortish trip to Frankfurt apart from the meanderings I'd probably head for a wander around the market. It isn't particularly scenically located but it is where locals shop for food and is in the "small hall" ie Kleinmarkthalle and it would be a place to buy a few packs of vacuum packed sozzies and stuff and perhaps even constructing a nice al-fresco picnic? Not Barcelona but might be a possibility.

https://kleinmarkthalle.de/

https://www.google.com/search?q=kleinmarkthalle+frankfurt&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiqyr-g9PXaAhWsAMAKHVHXC64Q_AUICygC&biw=2293&bih=847

For beer a decent glass or three you cannot go far wrong with Hausbar which is central and does cocktails as well as beer and of course appel wien. The sell Radeberger Beer.

http://hausbar-ffm.de/

http://www.radeberger.de/de/radeberger-geschichte/

Dauth Schneider is also good.

http://www.dauth-schneider.de/?lang=en

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dauth+Schneider+frankfurt&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE8MHF9fXaAhVKCcAKHSnCBEYQ_AUICygC&biw=2293&bih=847

The 12 Apostels is very good for typical hearty meats!

http://www.12aposteln-frankfurt.de/

https://www.google.com/search?q=Zu+den+12+Aposteln&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxyePA9_XaAhXIKcAKHahcB3AQ_AUICygC&biw=2293&bih=847

6th September is certainly something to pencil in ..... might we chat a week or two before as currently that is penciled as our final summer Seaside week prior to our Vienna Stelze Safari.