Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Thanks M ...

JP we have spent many happy hours on that balcony ... my piccies do not do it justice. And lots of meals on the balcony.

Thought this cartoon in today’s Times was fun. Not as much fun as listening to his weird rant speech on TV last night.

8e897de054b97c2a7a1dadfdd98af8e4.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting! The cartoonist did a great job of capturing the white ovals around his eyes from the tanning salon eye protectors and the extraordinary length of his ties. :) I like the cartoon better than the speech.

It was certainly an award winning speech in the “weirdest speech” and “most worrying” categories. It is mystifying that there is no sense of alarm and we accept all this as normal. What next?

The Times has had some good cartoons over the last few days.

9d7cf11221f3a7874714f33d146074dc.jpeg

916c5abbcec15056325a51130a4cce4a.jpeg

2c10ae2e6a04a1b0de94a7c6ddab503d.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In reference to the last cartoon (pants on fire) I just read an interesting article in The Walrus magazine by Brett Popplewell entitled "Inside the Toronto Star's Bold Plan to Save Itself". The article itself is about the dire situation that print news is finding itself in. However there is an interesting side story about Daniel Dale who is the Washington Bureau chief for the Toronto Star.

https://thewalrus.ca/inside-the-toronto-stars-bold-plan-to-save-itself/

From the article:

"......The thirty-three-year-old Toronto Star Washington bureau chief Daniel Dale, and one of the last foreign correspondents connected to a Canadian metro daily, spent most of the night at his computer fact-checking everything Donald Trump had said publicly in the past five days. Dale has been painstakingly recording untrue statements the US president has uttered since taking office—1,075 falsehoods in the first 365 days of his administration. Having just analyzed the latest White House transcripts, he caught Trump in an ad libbed exaggeration about how “nobody knows” that the Empire State Building was built in less than a year. It wasn’t.

.....Dale fires off the tweet to his more than 300,000 followers around the globe. A brand unto himself, he is one of the few journalists whose Twitter following is bigger than the paid circulation of his own newspaper—which, for much of its 126-year history, has been the largest and most influential daily in Canada—an institution that served as the inspiration for Clark Kent’s Daily Planet. If Dale’s following is exploding, it’s because he knows that, to reach an audience increasingly spoiled for choice, he must give his readers not only the careful analysis they need but also what they want."

Well, based on what was mentioned in the article, Daniel Dale is being blocked from Trump's twitter account now. (“@realDonaldTrump blocked you.”)

From the article:

"It was over a year later, however, on Sunday, October 1, 2017, when Dale wrote arguably the most viral piece of journalism of his career. At the time, Trump had been escalating the rhetoric between Washington and Pyongyang. At 3:01 p.m., @realDonaldTrump fired off a tweet: “Being nice to Rocket Man hasn’t worked in 25 years, why would it work now? Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed. I won’t fail.” Dale was standing on a street corner waiting to meet with his softball team—the sport is a pastime he counts as one of the highlights of his Washington existence. Dale read the president’s tweet, and the error jumped out at him immediately. He typed out his own tweet: “25 years ago, Kim Jong Un was 8.”

He hit publish just as his friends arrived. He checked his phone after leaving the diamond and realized the tweet’s impact. Before long, it had been liked 207,312 times and retweeted nearly 77,000 times. Two days later, on Tuesday, October 3, he woke up in his Washington apartment shortly after dawn. He reached for his phone to see what Trump had tweeted in the night. He stared at the screen, dumbfounded: “@realDonaldTrump blocked you.”"

Greetings Coolers! Furnace is on this morning. It is supposed to warm up today though.

Today's funny is also a cautionary tale.......watch what goes into your mouth :)

29595403_1658529410860750_2054983621550507756_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f8bd1eed853a7ef209b80fd30e1326a4&oe=5B581307

Have a great day all!

Good morning friends, today is an errand day......I am on my way to pick up new glasses.......then I have to go pay a bill at "Bealls".......for those of you who know, this is a wonderful store:D......I buy clothes there but you can get other items too:) and then I have to go to Lowe's for AC Filters.

Hope all of you have a good Saturday:)

Lois, what's an AC?? ;)

Haven't even thought about turning ours on yet. We did have 2 or 3 days in a row over 80 degrees, where I considered flipping the circuit breaker to power the units up. I like to do that a few days before I turn them on, just to get the coolant circulating, so they are ready when needed. But now back to the 50s and rain today. Hope there's a break in the precipitation so we can get outside and run at some point.

mysty, that's one way to get your teeth pulled! Ouch.

Enjoy Eurivisión, Jeff, and all those lucky enough to tune in! Spain was alive and bright with its prospects; the Spaniards feel they really have a chance. I saw some finalist numbers and was not very much impressed... everything sounded the same... and why all rock, American style? Few countries sang in their own language... judging from what I was able to see.

Madrid was wonderful! The award ceremony was moving and lovely, and there was a concert of Roberto's music afterwards. We felt touched.

We did not have time for sightseeing; so many people and good friends wanted to have those long, long lunches with us... and dinners after 10pm... Jeff, I know you enjoy a long lunch, saturated with good food and interesting conversation. You would have been in heaven! Roberto and I have adopted the American way; we have lunch at noon (and sometimes before) and eat at 6pm. In this trip all lunches began at 2pm and ended at 5pm. Roberto said I was fidgeting after an hour. Spaniards love to talk and they talk loud. Although we were raised in this tradition, after more than 25 years in the US, we notice! Spanish people enjoy life, and work just happens. We felt so good to be in this ambiance...we did not meet any sour person, even talking to garbage collectors.

Next Tuesday we are off to Xalapa, Mexico. Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I am looking forward to my daughter's celebration. I would like to wish all mothers in the Cooler stools a lovely day!!!

Hi everyone:) Cam, sounds like a wonderful time.

JP.......remember, I am in Florida and this area gets VERY humid.......when it is the mid 80s and humid? AIR CONDITIONING is a priority;p

Evening All....

Welcome home Cam, sounds like you had a wonderful trip with those long lunches!

JP, your birthday plans sound so exciting, I’m sure Chris will love it all.

Haven’t had a lot of time to post but have been trying to keep up!

Hate Eurovision with a passion....think I’m still stuck in the Katy Boyle and Wogan days and find the old songs gone by much better and more entertaining!🤨

Just over a week to go before l join the Spirit so lots to do....sounds like the poor gal is suffering a bit...hopefully all will be well when we get on board....l will try and report from the deck as and when l can ....courtesy of Jeff!!

Rosepark....as promised I’ll leave you a note at reception when l get on.

Wishing all Mums a very happy mother’s day tomorrow......and M...loving your daily delights!

Happy Weekend 😊

Newbie Silversea cruiser here, hoping for insights into the Silversea experience (We will be on the Shadow). Had a few questions, and hoping that this thread is an appropriate forum.

Aside from room service, which apparently starts at 6:00, is there another place where one can get a nice soy latte early in the morning? (Our usual routine is that DW is sleeping in while I wander about the ship sipping my latte).

We are in a veranda suite, and wonder whether in-suite dinning is served on a roll-in table, or whether there is a traditional-height table in our suite?

Many thanks!

I can’t understand why Australia is there. Jessica is in the final but not a likely contender. I’ve only seen part of her performance on TV when they report what is happening. It seems the weirder the better!

Cam, how wonderful to celebrate with friends and have a concert of Roberto’s music.

We never got to dinner when we were in Barcelona. Loved the tapas so that was enough for us.

I can’t sleep if I eat that late.

Cold and wet here this weekend. A good excuse to light the fire and read the weekend papers.

We only have this week here in Daylesford before settlement of our new house on Friday. The removalist is booked for Monday so I’m hoping for a fine day. We will wander around and decide where everything will go over the weekend when the house is empty.

We were allowed into the house when we were down on Wednesday to organise a few extra cupboards and drawers.

The wooden floor and carpets weren’t down so I’m hoping all will go to plan during the week.

Happy Mother’s Day to all.

I find it too commercial these days and liked the Mothering Sunday we celebrated when we lived in England. Someone told us that it was the day the people who were in service had the day off and on their way home they picked flowers from the hedgerows to give to their mothers.