Sabatini new menu

Frenchymp

How is the menu? Is it worth the trial? We will be on the regal next march for seven days. We have club class dining and we already made a reservation at the crown grill... wondering if we should try Sabatini or enjoy club class dining one more night...

Merci beaucoup!

How is the menu? Is it worth the trial? We will be on the regal next march for seven days. We have club class dining and we already made a reservation at the crown grill... wondering if we should try Sabatini or enjoy club class dining one more night...

Merci beaucoup!

Last I heard the new Sabatini's Trattoria menu is only on Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess. You should still have the current Sabatini's menu--but will be happy to be corrected if someone just off Regal verifies (I don't have access to Princess website to check at the moment )

OK thanks for clearing that up. My next cruise is on the Royal and I haven't seen a rollout date for that ship. To me it is odd to switch to the tasting menu on Royal & Regal as they already have a "trattoria style" Italian eatery, though Alfredos is casual and no charge.

Hopefully someone will have a positive review of the new menu to answer the original question.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hopefully someone will have a positive review of the new menu to answer the original question.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I dined in Sabatini's on Grand Princess with the new menu and was disappointed.

Others complained that most of the starters are fried food.

I believe in menu rotation, where a restaurant updates menu selections by dropping poor sellers and adding new items that sold well as specials.

I was disappointed that the entire previous menu was thrown out and replaced by a completely new menu. Naturally previous diners, such as myself, have returned again and again, and most likely have a favorite or two, which leads to disappointment when they are all gone.

Probably at work here is EGO in the corporate office-- and inexperience.

Provisioning is also at play. Remember how SHARE was to roll out fleet-wide and one of the main course items is beef cheek pie? That would have been a lot of beef cheeks to procure.

What to do with all those beef cheeks now that SHARE conversions have stopped? Well introduce a pasta with beef cheeks on the Sabatini's new menu!

If you're planning or considering dinner with the new menu, I'd suggest you study it first before reserving, to ensure you see a meal you'd enjoy.

On the 10-day cruise I ate there once. I could have gone another night with my charge picked up, but I had no interest.

Sabatinis was never crowded on any of our Regal sailings. Crown Grill always was but it always seemed like no one went to Sabatinis.

I loved the beef cheeks in Share and loved the food there so was sorry to see it not go onto other ships. I'm looking forward to trying the new menu in Sabatinis though I wish it was still the veal chop and not breaded veal.

Not impressed. And waaaaaay too much artichoke.

Plus, it's so tiresome (and rather cliche) to see menus that merely list off the ingredients in a dish with no conjunctions or prepositions (I saw one "with" but that's about it). Would it kill them to explain, for example, the composition of the "chickpea fritters, squid, prawns, eggplant, carrots, green beans, lemon garlic aioli" ? In the absence of further details, I'm left to picture a giant squid perched atop a fritter, clutching a whole eggplant in one tentacle and a can of Del Monte Blue Lake green beans in another, perhaps with a carrot stick jauntily jutting from one corner of its mouth, like FDR's cigarette holder.

Add me to the list of "Not Impressed". Sabatini's has always been our "go to" spot on embarkation night. The bone-in veal chop was my selection. Nothing on the new menu jumps out at me, so this may be the first cruise in a long time that we do not dine at Sabatini's....although I will consider the Super Tuscan dinner, if offered, on our cruise on the Royal next year.

Add me to the list of "Not Impressed". Sabatini's has always been our "go to" spot on embarkation night. The bone-in veal chop was my selection. Nothing on the new menu jumps out at me, so this may be the first cruise in a long time that we do not dine at Sabatini's....although I will consider the Super Tuscan dinner, if offered, on our cruise on the Royal next year.

Chris, I'll let you know how it is since I figure we will try it. I'll just drink extra wine that night!!

Does anyone know when Royal gets the new menu? The menu showing in our cruise personalize for the 12/10 sailing shows the old menu. I like to try new things but, personally, I like the old menu better. It does look like they are using less pricey ingredients in the new menu.

On the Pacific now. New menu. Was going to go but several people who work on the ship have told me they have ruined it with the new menu.

Steak house was good except for cold potatoes creamed spinach which was not and very slow service. Left after 2 hours and did not have desert. Only 5 tables occupied.

Not impressed. And waaaaaay too much artichoke.

Plus, it's so tiresome (and rather cliche) to see menus that merely list off the ingredients in a dish with no conjunctions or prepositions (I saw one "with" but that's about it). Would it kill them to explain, for example, the composition of the "chickpea fritters, squid, prawns, eggplant, carrots, green beans, lemon garlic aioli" ? In the absence of further details, I'm left to picture a giant squid perched atop a fritter, clutching a whole eggplant in one tentacle and a can of Del Monte Blue Lake green beans in another, perhaps with a carrot stick jauntily jutting from one corner of its mouth, like FDR's cigarette holder.

You could look at it as an ingredient deck. If the diner has any allergies, he/she can check the ingredients.

Yes, I'm being satirical.

Chris, I'll let you know how it is since I figure we will try it. I'll just drink extra wine that night!!

I recommend you take your own wine. On our first visit to Sabaitini's on the Grand Princess, I ordered a bottle of Barolo and my wife ordered a bottle of Gavi. The server came back to tell us that both wines were out of stock. I rethought my menu choices, and we ordered the Sicilian white that they offer.

On our second visit, we brought our own wine. I'd purchased one of those 3-bottle packages that they sell in the elavator lobby just outside the buffet on the first couple days of the cruise. The best bottle in that package was a Brunello which was very nice with our second meal at Sabatini's.

I have defended the new Sabatini's menu many times here on Cruise Critic. However, our experience on the Grand Princess in September did have a negative vibe. The headwaiter in Sabatini's was very poor. He seemed to be confused about his responsibilities or otherwise disengaged. I have often stated that the headwaiter sets the tone for the room's service staff. A room with a nonchalant headwaiter will have nonchalant staff. As a result, the sevice level is diminished. Thus, the diner's experience is diminished.

Contrast this to our experience in the Crown Grill during that same cruise. The headwaiter in the Crown Grill understood that he was in the hospitality business. When he greeted every diner, the welcome made them feel that he was truly excited to see them. He welcomed them as honored guests--not paying customers whose intent is to just create more work for him. He also was constantly walking the floor of the room. Looking for opportunities to help his staff, and ensure his guests' comfort. Naturally, this attitude trickled down to the entire staff. We enjoyed it so much we ate there four times during the cruise.

We also tried the Crab Shack. The headwaiter there was pathetic. If the guy in Sabatini's needed additional training, this lady needed career counseling.

Last I heard the new Sabatini's Trattoria menu is only on Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess. You should still have the current Sabatini's menu--but will be happy to be corrected if someone just off Regal verifies (I don't have access to Princess website to check at the moment )

According to the Princess website: "Available on Caribbean Princess, Grand Princess and Regal Princess. Coming to Coral Princess in November, followed by Star Princess in December."

We are from Brooklyn and live in the NYC area. We know Italian. Sabatini's is awful. It makes Olive Garden seem like a 5 star Michelin restaurant. We just got off the Regal. Alfredo's is amazing and Italian in the MDR was good.

We are from Brooklyn and live in the NYC area. We know Italian. Sabatini's is awful. It makes Olive Garden seem like a 5 star Michelin restaurant. We just got off the Regal. Alfredo's is amazing and Italian in the MDR was good.

I say this in jest....

Please do not besmirch the Olive Garden name! They at least give you unlimited bread sticks and salad. Additional salads in Sabatini's come with a charge.

Not sure what living in the NYC area has to do with knowing Italian...we are from South Carolina and owned an Italian Restaurant...we sure know Italian. That being said, haven't had the new Sabatini's menu so will hold my judgment...just thought that was a funny way to substantiate your opinion...even in Italy, each region has extremely different styles and tastes, and they all know Italian too! :D