Anthem and Noro - sailing today?

The most frustrating thing I’m finding is that you can’t avoid touching the elevator buttons by using a covered finger or whatnot because they’re touch sensitive.

This x100. First time I've ever been on a cruise ship where I had to use my fingertips to activate a button. And worse, they didn't always work on the first touch, so I found myself pressing it 2,3 or even 6 times occasionally.

That was a poor design decision, but cannot be blamed on the ship's crew.

It’s laughable RCL thinks people will go to medical when they know they’ll get quarantined.

No. It's sad that people would choose to put others at risk to avoid quarantine.

If you get Noro you don’t need someone to tell you you’re quarantined for 24 hours. You’re body tells you that. There’s no way people are walking around the ship once they know they have Noro.

My husband didn’t go to medical when he got it on our 10/28 cruise because 1. He started with symptoms in the middle of the night and 2. He literally wouldn’t have made it to medical without a mess and 3. We’ve raised 3 sons and know there’s nothing you can do about Noro but wait out your 24 hours until you feel human again.

I think it’s crazy to think people don’t go to medical with Noro because they don’t want to get quarantined!

THIS is why, directly from the CDC website.

You are most contagious:

• when you are sick with norovirus illness, and
  • during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness. (bolding is mine.)

People recover and go out and about enjoying their vacation, spreading the virus. Not sure how long the ship "quarantines" people who report the illness, but if you spent $5000 for your family to vacation for a week, it might be very tempting to NOT report and risk being quarantined for an additional day (2 days?) beyond "feeling better".

Incidentally, also according to the CDC, there are many who walk about shedding the virus without showing any symptoms. If they feel they are not ill perhaps they are a bit lax with the handwashing?

THIS is why, directly from the CDC website.

You are most contagious:

• when you are sick with norovirus illness, and
  • during the first few days after you recover from norovirus illness. (bolding is mine.)

People recover and go out and about enjoying their vacation, spreading the virus. Not sure how long the ship "quarantines" people who report the illness, but if you spent $5000 for your family to vacation for a week, it might be very tempting to NOT report and risk being quarantined for an additional day (2 days?) beyond "feeling better".

Incidentally, also according to the CDC, there are many who walk about shedding the virus without showing any symptoms. If they feel they are not ill perhaps they are a bit lax with the handwashing?

The ship quarantines infected people for typically 24 hours. So I still think it’s crazy to think people don’t go to medical for Noro because they fear they’ll be quarantined.

The ship quarantines infected people for typically 24 hours. So I still think it’s crazy to think people don’t go to medical for Noro because they fear they’ll be quarantined.

The people beside us were quarantined for at least two days, possibly three.

There was a letter left in cabins last night telling us there has been Noro and the captain discussed it as part of his noon announcement today. He did not discuss numbers.

My husband didn’t go to medical when he got it on our 10/28 cruise...

I think it’s crazy to think people don’t go to medical with Noro because they don’t want to get quarantined!

Curious to know if the medical team came to your cabin and had him fill out the CDC form when he reported that he was ill??

Curious to know if the medical team came to your cabin and had him fill out the CDC form when he reported that he was ill??

On our sailing we weren’t aware of the Noro cases until Thursday. On the captains one announcement about it he said if passengers were sick to go to medical where they would receive free treatment. He never asked for anyone effected to report their illness. My husband didn’t get sick until after he went to sleep Thursday night and was stuck between the bathroom and the bed in the cabin until we debarked the next morning.

I’m not sure why you’re trying to place some sort of blame on the poor people who contracted Noro on this ship full of young children. If you’re looking to blame something for the virus on the ship I think you should blame “kids sail free” sale.

I am not placing blame, I am trying to determine what the protocol is, that's all. Trying to understand why the actual count vs. what was reported to the CDC would appear to be so different. I was wondering if the reports were filed only if those affected went to the med bay. I am not sure why you are so defensive, I am only seeking facts.

RCCL should really have the ship leave a day later for the next cruise and give the ship a thorough cleaning. Obviously what they are doing is not working. An extra 2 hours of cleaning is not going to do it. They probably wouldnt do it as they would have to compensate people.

RCCL should really have the ship leave a day later for the next cruise and give the ship a thorough cleaning. Obviously what they are doing is not working. An extra 2 hours of cleaning is not going to do it. They probably wouldnt do it as they would have to compensate people.

Please, no. It is our sailing.

Boarding is delayed like it was last week, but not for a day

They sent out notification last week of a delayed check in but we were checked in by 10:30 and on board just after 11.

Cabins weren’t available until 2pm.

Just curious, were u told check on would be after 1? I'm trying to figure out what time to get to port tomorrow...we were told after 1 due to cleaning and maintenance, is this similar to what you were told? Thanks for the info.

They sent out notification last week of a delayed check in but we were checked in by 10:30 and on board just after 11.

Cabins weren’t available until 2pm.

On nov 4th? I didnt get letter..i got there at 1230 on board at 1..room wasnt ready til after 3

That thinking I don't understand.

Given history, and how ship companies have had to deal with noro for as long as shipping has been a part of human life, it's pretty safe to think that RCI, as well as every other company, has a procedure to deal with norovirus. Part of that procedure is the cleaning of the ship as quickly, but as completely as possible.

It may *seem* like just a 2 hour procedure, but I would call it more realistically 2.5-3. Most people report getting on the ship the moment that the ship is empty- typically 10:30 or so. And it's likely that many of the areas are cleared for cleaning well before that time- so procedures can start pretty early.

Still, the idea that we think they know what they need to do vs what they have already planned for- having dealt with it many, many times before is odd. This isn't the first time an RCI ship got noro, it won't be the last. IMHO, the same can be said for every other line.

Just curious, were u told check on would be after 1? I'm trying to figure out what time to get to port tomorrow...we were told after 1 due to cleaning and maintenance, is this similar to what you were told? Thanks for the info.

Our letter said delayed check in and not to arrive at port before 11 am. The letter said check in would be 11 to 2 but didn’t say an expected boarding time. Once we checked in, we were told boarding wasn’t going to be until noon but we were on board and in solarium before the cafe opened at 11:30.

With them saying 1pm for your sailing, I wouldn’t want to be too early.

Our letter said delayed check in and not to arrive at port before 11 am. The letter said check in would be 11 to 2 but didn’t say an expected boarding time. Once we checked in, we were told boarding wasn’t going to be until noon but we were on board and in solarium before the cafe opened at 11:30.

With them saying 1pm for your sailing, I wouldn’t want to be too early.

Thank you.

Our Sailaway is scheduled for 3pm, I guess it will happen later, but don't really care as long as I am in Solarium :)

It says not to arrive before 1 PM due to limited seating in the terminal but we aren't able to change our arrival time so we'll see what happens. I don't mind sitting in the terminal or even my car for a bit to ensure a puke free cruise. I don't think they can really delay a day without a lot of hoops. From what I've been reading the outbreak wasn't severe enough to warrant that. Could be wrong. Only time will tell. Again.. keeping my washed and sanitized fingers crossed that all goes well.

You really think they are going to check in and board 4000+ people in 2 hours? How will the driving around the pier handle that? They are banking on people showing up earlier and waiting around. I’m happy to wait in the car in the parking garage :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums