Considering trying a cruise with Regent sometime...any suggestions or advice?

OnTheJourney

No better research than spending quality time on the Regent Board and read the many different threads that appear here. It is so detailed that if you are considering Regent it can help guide you to the particular ship that would best suit your first cruise on Regent.

I am so thankful for posters like Travelcat2 for sharing her experiences and UUNetBill for the excellent spreadsheet of cabins on the ships so you don't end up in a less than optimum suite.

Combined with a Travel Agent that has extensive Regent booking experience and you are assured the best luxury cruise possible. What more could you ask for? As you can tell, this thread has brought many previous Regent cruisers together to make sure that your first cruise will be best that it could be.

I haven't cruised with Regent yet, but every thread like this and multiple trip reports posted gives me the warm and fuzzy that Regent would be the best cruise line. Especially for someone new to luxury cruising and not having to overdress formal unless you just want to. Sounds great!!!!!!

I am so thankful for posters like Travelcat2 for sharing her experiences and UUNetBill for the excellent spreadsheet of cabins on the ships so you don't end up in a less than optimum suite.

Where can I find UUNetBill’s spreadsheet? Sounds like it will be very useful!

Having just come back from our first Regent cruise (after 100+ days on HAL as well as an Antarctic cruise on Ponant), I'd make the following observations:

1) You don't need to bother with upgrading your accommodations. Even basic suites on Regent clock in larger than balcony cabins on larger ships. The benefits in concierge suites can be bought for the same or less money, depending upon your needs. You can make a value choice about the extra amenities in penthouses and higher.

2) Inclusive air is a personal choice. We book cruise only, and we can generally find airfares for less (don't forget you also lose airport-hotel and ship-airport transfers when you opt out of air), but YMMV.

3) When you price out the cost comparison, make a realistic assessment of what parts of the all inclusive you will use--as opposed to what you would do on another line. We have generally avoided more than a handful of excursions because of the supplemental cost. But on our regent cruise we took a shore excursion in every port.

4) Smaller ships have pros and cons. More interesting ports, smaller crowds, fewer queues are all great, and tip the balance for us, but your interests might be different.

Wow! Thanks for all those great replies. I really appreciate the valuable thoughts and suggestions. I would indeed have to carefully evaluate the extra amount I'm paying for certain things mentioned like specialty coffee and restaurants and drinks in general - since, quite honestly, DW and I typically go through an entire cruise without ever purchasing a single alcoholic beverage. We hardly ever drink to begin with and have never visited a spa on any ship. We enjoyed trying the various wines every night on a recently completed river cruise with Tauck, but did so only because it WAS included (but obviously we paid for it along with also paying for case loads of liquor consumed by other passengers!). That sort of bothers me in retrospect. I saw people drinking copious amounts of alcohol in the lounge both before and after meals, considered the percentage of my total trip cost that went to pay for that, and it just leaves me feeling like the trip was really over-priced. Also, in all the cruising we've done, I have been in a specialty restaurant only once, and having done it we'd only go to one again in the event that we had OBC to do so. It was a bit of an awkward and long, drawn-out affair. Once again, like the riverboat, if excursions are included then I'm also already paying for them as well whether or not I use them. What DOES appeal to me is the quiet atmosphere and smaller number of passengers. I liked both of those things on the riverboat (except for when a bit too much liquor was consumed in the lounge and things got a bit rowdy and too loud for my taste). I'm sure we'll definitely try it at some point. We choose any trip mostly based on the destination rather than what ship is going there. I am very intrigued by the luxury of the Explorer, and can totally understand how - if one is indeed taken with all the individual elements that are included in the cost and finds the personal value in them - then it's a win/win situation all around. I suspect that luxury cruising has things to offer that mainstream does not. That seems reasonable and actually is to be expected. I guess the 'trappings', if you will, of some aspects of cruising, in general, might be sort of lost on us. This may be due in part to our favorite mode of travel being simply hopping in the car with a planned out itinerary and then off we go. That being said, we do very much enjoy cruising. The 'unpack only once' thing, though, is not a major selling point with us either since we love the hotel hopping inherent in the road trips. Thanks again!!

We are presently on the Explorer, Transatlantic. As we were having some lunch this afternoon, I commented to my husband--- all the staff is so friendly and helpful onboard all the Regent ships, this in addition to one set price, who could ask for anything else.

It's really all about our comfort and not being part of a herd. Small ships, lovely accommodations, interesting excursions, everything included. Perfect for us!

Sheila

I can't drink alcohol but my husband does. Having said that, keep in mind that you can indulge in all sorts of alcohol-free drinks, and also specialty coffees, smoothies, and milkshakes without extra cost as on most other mainline ships. Also, every night I was served alcohol-removed wine at diiner; after the very first night they remembered that I couldn't have alcohol. Great service all around. As a matter of fact, just last night we were wondering what our bar bill would have been after our recent 15-night cruise! We never witnessed anyone drinking to excess to "get their money's worth.":)

We have never been to the spa and rarely attend the shows. We don't like caviar and my husband drinks mostly beer and no top shelf liquor. In essence, I know we were paying for some things that we didn't "use." But, if you decide to cruise with Regent, you'll quickly find that there are some things you just can't put a price tag on, regardless of whether you utilize that particular product or service. We've never looked back after our first Regent experience in 2006. I wish you happy cruising!.:)

I can't drink alcohol but my husband does. Having said that, keep in mind that you can indulge in all sorts of alcohol-free drinks, and also specialty coffees, smoothies, and milkshakes without extra cost as on most other mainline ships. Also, every night I was served alcohol-removed wine at diiner; after the very first night they remembered that I couldn't have alcohol. Great service all around. As a matter of fact, just last night we were wondering what our bar bill would have been after our recent 15-night cruise! We never witnessed anyone drinking to excess to "get their money's worth.":)

We have never been to the spa and rarely attend the shows. We don't like caviar and my husband drinks mostly beer and no top shelf liquor. In essence, I know we were paying for some things that we didn't "use." But, if you decide to cruise with Regent, you'll quickly find that there are some things you just can't put a price tag on, regardless of whether you utilize that particular product or service. We've never looked back after our first Regent experience in 2006. I wish you happy cruising!.:)

Thanks for mentioning about the non-alcoholic drinks, etc. I totally agree that you can't put a price on especially good service, and definitely am interested in trying Regent some time. As I said, it depends mostly on the itinerary and when the cruise is offered. I don't cruise merely for the sake of cruising, nor am much interested in booking repeat cruises to places I've already been just for the sake of being able to go on more cruises. It has to be an itinerary (preferably to someplace new) that really appeals to me. What ceases to amaze me is the amount of literature I continue to get from Regent...certainly can't say they don't advertise. To try and break down a cost comparison of a cruise on one line versus another is really rather difficult since there are so many intangibles involved that don't factor into the dollars and cents. Unlike some people, I don't feel loyal to any one line, despite the allure (no pun intended relative to RCCL!) of the tiered rewards system that every line seems to employ. Another factor important to me is convenience (or not) of the departure port. All things being equal between multiple cruises that are going to a destination I'm interested in, I place greater weight on opting for the line that offers the closer departure port over, say, the line that purports to offer more luxury and service. Of course, if the departure port is in itself a destination I've either not been to or want to do additional sightseeing in, then that adds a different dimension to the available options.

Edited by three4rd

We're like you, never cruised Regent before always other lines. We've booked 3 cruises now on Regent and will be going on are first cruise the 24th of this month. I'd say go for it, until you cruise how will you know if you like it or not. We don't drink, so we waste that anmd pay for it. But we want to try it.

...will be interested to hear how you enjoy it! You're absolutely right...like anything, only way to tell if you like something new is to try it.

My best suggestion for you is to do a cost comparison of Celebrity and Regent. When doing the comparison, look a the included International Business Class air, pre-cruise night at a hotel (for concierge and above suites) included alcohol, tips, many excursions, etc,.

Actually the bed on Explorer in the Regent suite is about 250K (we have toured this suite twice ..... it is truly amazing). However, most of us regular Regent cruisers are not looking at that. We appreciate the low-key atmosphere, amazing crew and food. If this sounds good to you, I would recommend booking a Regent cruise.

Good point about the included business-class air, which certainly jacks up the price. A 250k bed? When you consider that there are close to 800 million undernourished people in the world, the thought of a bed (alone) worth that kind of money could conceivably be construed as representing the height of decadence. But then perhaps the same could be said of the entire cruise / vacation industry, along with professional sports and entertainer salaries, etc. on and on...

three4rd, I have been following the Regent board but like yourself have not sailed with them yet. I have been very impressed with the excellent information provided on this board. Their are postings from people with literally 100s of days with Regent and many from folks that share their experiences with other lines. I have been looking at Explorer and Mariner myself and also watch videos from folks on YouTube that show the wonderful experiences that are described by others on this board.

I have seen many people recently that have made a decision to go with Regent after being on other lines. Ronrick1943 is preparing for his first Regent cruise on the most luxurious ship afloat "The Explorer". I am looking forward to his impressions of this ship.

First time Regent cruiser experiences are very valuable since they are doing what I what to do very much but have not made the decision to do so yet. I think they give me a sense of what my cruise would be like.

There are some cruisers like Travelcat2 that have 100's of days experience on Regent who are able to provide advice based upon their cruises and how best to maximize the luxurious aspects of the cruise.

The combination of new Regent cruisers and frequent Regent cruisers allows this board to help someone prepare for the most luxurious cruise possible.

Since I haven't cruised with Regent I can't add much but I will say that my interaction with folks here makes a Regent cruise more likely than not in the near future.

Good thoughts and totally agree....

Three4rd; Be very careful when considering a Regent Cruise. The inherent risks you would be taking in regards to your mental health and future happiness cannot be understated. Regent is a potent drug that once you are addicted to it, there is no course of treatment to reverse the symptoms of euphoria, time dysplasia and then the sudden depression as you are caused to disembark.

Everyone thinks they can handle Regent Cruising; they start out by doing a 7-night Med Cruise, then it’s a 12-night Baltic Cruise, soon you are considering cashing in all your 401k’s and calculating how many nights you could stay aboard before the money runs out.

You learn that the Veranda Suites are more comfortable than most deluxe suites on other ships but you still want more... F1, PH2, The Regent! Who needs a Butler? YOU Do! You haven’t seen him all afternoon; you press the button on the phone, he’s at the door! How could he have known?

Where are all the passengers? You can just about choose any seat in any venue. Where’s the end of the line? Where’s the LINE? You’re all alone with your LW in the infinity pool. Crew members keep asking you questions... Do you need anything? Is everything OK? Of course it is; isn’t this how cruising should be?

Don’t risk your sanity. It’s not worth it! If you’re happy on Celebrity or Holland America don’t cruise on Regent. Once you try being a Mariner, all you can do is become an Explorer. It’ll be years before you feel that ultimate Splendor...

Proceed at your own peril! ��❤️��

LOL...enjoyed this post :)

Good point about the included business-class air, which certainly jacks up the price. A 250k bed? When you consider that there are close to 800 million undernourished people in the world, the thought of a bed (alone) worth that kind of money could conceivably be construed as representing the height of decadence. But then perhaps the same could be said of the entire cruise / vacation industry, along with professional sports and entertainer salaries, etc. on and on...

I bring up the bed because it is so over the top. Few Regent customers could afford $10K+ per night to be in that suite (but it was amazing to take a tour of it).

We actually appreciate the Business Class air - especially when your embarkation or disembarkation port is far away. Even with Business Class air, places like Hong Kong and South Africa are still a heck of a long way to be flying. While we did long flights in coach in the old days, I cannot imagine doing them now.

Well, I think most of it has already been said, Just wanted to chime in as somebody who has been cruising since the 1970's , first on a ship from the Costa line, followed by Princess, Royal Caribbean, Cunard, before trying Regent and other lux lines. Regent is our absolute favorite, once you go Regent ( or maybe one of the other lux lines) you'll never want to go back. Frankly , the only question is do you feel its worth your money. Actually, I don't think all the lux lines are created equal. We've sampled Silversea and Seabourn, and although we wouldn't be opposed to trying them again, we always gravitate to Regent.

I think a big plus is the feeling once you board and make yourself at home, you don't have to show any badge or keycard to see if you're afforded this drink or that drink, or whatever excursion. Its a liberating feeling. Also very conducive to making new friends onboard, not worrying who's picking up the tab! And of course, the much bigger ratio of space/ pax, sometimes you get the impression you're traveling in a big private yacht!

Oh, so looking forward to my next cruise aboard Regent, on the Explorer in the Caribbean this coming February!

Very interesting thread! I, too, am just now looking at Regent for a possible trip in the last half of 2019.

I'm very new to cruise travel. I just took my first cruise ever in September: 14-days on Holland America's Amsterdam, roundtrip from Seattle --> Alaska. I had always planned to take a cruise "someday," but got busy with school after I retired in 2003 (spent 7 yrs getting my undergrad and graduate degrees in music), and kept putting it off. Some health issues gave me the added incentive to stop procrastinating and get going, literally!

I now have 3 more cruises already booked: HAL's "Voyage of the Vikings (38 days -- north Atlantic, July-August 2018), Oceania's "Pacific Treasures" (18 days -- SF --> Miami via Panama Canal, October 2018), and HAL's Hawaii-Tahiti-Marquesas (28 days -- starting/ending in San Diego, Mar-Apr 2019). I'm looking for something to do in the latter part of 2019, around September or so.

I enjoyed my first Holland America trip -- a LOT! -- and I especially love some of their itineraries, but I'm interested in branching out. I'm your basic textbook introvert -- crowds wear me out! Small groups are peachy, but noise/chaos/etc ... not so much. I've lived alone since 1987, so I'm very comfortable entertaining myself. And I'm very comfortable traveling alone and love the flexibility.

I have a slight tendency toward claustrophobia (not panic-inducing, just "uncomfortable"). On HAL, the Neptune Suite was totally worth the additional expense for the additional size, and my future cruises on HAL will also be in Neptunes. From what I can tell, the Concierge Suite on the Seven Seas Mariner (the ship I'm looking at for a possible September/October 2019 cruise) is comparable size.

So, I'm looking at Regent primarily due to the smaller ship sizes and the "all-inclusive" pricing. I've also been poking around the Cunard website, but their ships are much larger (minimum is 2000, I think; the Queen Mary 2 is ~2700), and I think the overall atmosphere may be a tad too "formal" for me. I spent 32 years in IT, most of it in Silicon Valley, the last 6 years in Seattle working for what at the time was a small start-up online book retailer that ended up ... well ... not so small anymore. The dress code was distinctly less formal. Anyway, that's one of the questions I'll try to answer before I book anything. I don't "do formal" comfortably. "Dress up" to me is nice slacks and a fancy top with some bling, and that worked fine on HAL for their "Gala nights."

So there it is. I know late 2019 is a long way off, but it seems that one must book these things well in advance or risk not getting the desired cabin. I'm looking specifically at a possible "back to back": Vancouver --> LA via Alaska, and then LA --> Miami via Panama, both on the Mariner. So we'll see.

I'll keep reading here and lurking. I'm expecting a call early in the week from Regent (I registered on the website, and that's usually what happens ... ) If nothing else, the research phase keeps me busy and off the streets. ;)

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Don’t forget that the cruise industry creates a LOT of jobs for a lot of people around the world. Also, many of the cruise ship crew members send money home to help their families - providing steady income they might not have otherwise.

I think the cruise industry contributes more opportunities to the less fortunate around the world than all of the Hollywood elite and football stars combined.

Just my opinion.

I now return you to your originally scheduled discussion...

ArtsyCraftsy, we cruised once with Holland America (Alaska) in a Neptune suite. This was several years ago, and we enjoyed it, but once we sailed with Regent, we never went back to HA. We still receive brochures from HA, and while we like many of the itineraries, the tipping point for us is the ship size/# of passengers. For us, the smaller Regent ships make us happy.

Also, once you factor in paying for things like specialty dining, drinks, shore excursions and so on, you may find that Regent is close to what you'd pay for a suite on Holland America. I'm astounded when reading other boards (mainstream lines) that some even charge room service fees, charge for water, surcharges for steak or lobster, and you have to pay extra to dine on your balcony. :o The suites on Regent are very comfortable (I can only speak for the Navigator, however.)

We just returned from a 15-night trip on the Navigator, and we had a great time. I packed a pair of dressy black pants, some nice tops, and jewelry (that I don't get to wear any other time), and my husband wore a collared shirt and a pair of docker-type pants at dinner. We love not having to pack super-dressy clothes!

It sounds like you have some wonderful cruises planned, and I wish you a safe and enjoyable time! But do look into Regent; I think you'll be happy if you give them a try.

Forgot one thing--

If I recall correctly, free laundry service was included on Holland America if you were in a Neptune Suite. I don't know if that's still the case, but if it is, it's not a big enough of a perk for us to go back to ships that carry over 1,000 pax. But that's just us.:)

Forgot one thing--

If I recall correctly, free laundry service was included on Holland America if you were in a Neptune Suite. I don't know if that's still the case, but if it is, it's not a big enough of a perk for us to go back to ships that carry over 1,000 pax. But that's just us.:)

We were on HAL Koningsdam in July. First HAL cruise for us. We were in a Neptune Suite, and yes, free laundry is included. Turned out to be a big perk for us as we spent 4 days in Amsterdam prior to the cruise, then after our 7 night HAL cruise, we met a group of friends for a 12 Night Baltic cruise on RCI, and ended with 5 days in Paris. So having free laundry the second week saved us. But as you say, not a reason to sail HAL. Just a nice perk.

As I mentioned earlier, we are on our First Regents next Nov. for 44 nights. We have $500 OBC. I figure it will be our "laundry" fund for the things that we can't do ourselves in the included washing machines.

... the tipping point for us is the ship size/# of passengers. For us, the smaller Regent ships make us happy.

Also, once you factor in paying for things like specialty dining, drinks, shore excursions and so on, you may find that Regent is close to what you'd pay for a suite on Holland America. I'm astounded when reading other boards (mainstream lines) that some even charge room service fees, charge for water, surcharges for steak or lobster, and you have to pay extra to dine on your balcony. :o The suites on Regent are very comfortable (I can only speak for the Navigator, however.)

I DEFINITELY like the idea of "smaller" ships. The HAL Amsterdam was "doable," but I do have some mobility issues (breathing related) that would make anything bigger than that a little difficult. I'm fine most of the time, but walking too far or too fast means I have to stop for a minute or so to catch my breath. Getting from one end of the ship to the other took a while (my cabin was near the aft elevators, so getting to/from the MDR was easy; getting to the main stage or the Crows Nest bar in the bow was not).

And you're correct re: additional expenses. By the time I paid for the wine package, the wifi/internet (I like to stay connected, live-blog w/ photos, etc.), the bottled water, the specialty restaurant surcharges, a few shore excursions, etc., it added close to 10% to the total expenses. I did take advantage of the free laundry that came with the Neptune suite but was underwhelmed by the "Neptune Lounge," one of the other "perks" of booking a Neptune or Pinnacle suite. The big advantage of the Neptune for me was the space. And I can get that also on Regent.

OK, so I'm seriously considering canceling my Oceania cruise (SF --> Miami via Panama) and substituting Regent. Regent has an itinerary that is nearly identical (SF --> Miami via Panama). I have a fully refundable deposit on the Oceania cruise, so ... no harm, no foul if I choose to cancel anytime before April 2018.

The cost is nearly identical to the Oceania trip with a major exception: Regent includes more "stuff" (drinks, excursions, etc.) that I would have to pay extra for on Oceania, so the overall cost is less on Regent. The cabin sizes are nearly identical so that's a "wash." I'm looking for a relaxing comfortable experience with exceptional food and an interesting itinerary. and not really all that interested in casinos, shows, or other "theme-park"-like onboard attractions. I think, based on what I've read here, that Regent would be a good fit.

The only "hitch" I see is that I will have just returned from a 6-week cruise on August 25. The Regent cruise leaves SF on September 22, only 4 weeks later (the Oceania cruise leaves SF on October 8 -- so 6 weeks between trips). Not sure I'll be ready that soon to re-sort/re-pack everything. Something to think about.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. It's definitely helping to outline the pros/cons.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

ArtsyCraftsy, hope that you booked your cruise through a travel agent that regularly books Regent so that you will receive a percent of your cruise fare back and likely would receive on board credits. It really pays to use TA's that really know Regent. After all, every bit you can save is a good thing!

I have a question about how to find a good travel agent who’s familiar with Regent?

We have a TA who we like very much and have worked with for a number of years. He’s great with various kinds of travel and with some of the mainstream cruise lines. But doesn’t have any connection with/experience with Regent. We worked together (along with a couple really nice Regent representatives by phone) to book our first Regent cruise and I’m satisfied enough with what we arranged for this first trip. But if we continue to cruise with Regent (which I already feel is a distinct possibility), it seems it might be good to develop a relationship with a TA more familiar with Regent, at least for that part of our travel planning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Judy

I have a question about how to find a good travel agent who’s familiar with Regent?

We have a TA who we like very much and have worked with for a number of years. He’s great with various kinds of travel and with some of the mainstream cruise lines. But doesn’t have any connection with/experience with Regent. We worked together (along with a couple really nice Regent representatives by phone) to book our first Regent cruise and I’m satisfied enough with what we arranged for this first trip. But if we continue to cruise with Regent (which I already feel is a distinct possibility), it seems it might be good to develop a relationship with a TA more familiar with Regent, at least for that part of our travel planning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Judy

Judy,

Unfortunately CC Guidelines do not allow our to give information on TA's. Having said that, I would definitely not book with a "regular" TA as it is so important that they be familiar with Regent. All I can do is recommend doing a search and looking at whether or not they give a percentage back on your cruise fare and/or on board credits.

I would also question which suites they would recommend on Regent. They should tell you to avoid aft suites on the Navigator and Voyager as well as suites under the pool deck or under the restaurants since there is noise from both areas.

Good luck in your search..

Jackie

ArtsyCraftsy, hope that you booked your cruise through a travel agent that regularly books Regent so that you will receive a percent of your cruise fare back and likely would receive on board credits. It really pays to use TA's that really know Regent. After all, every bit you can save is a good thing!

I haven't booked a Regent cruise yet -- still gathering info/etc. -- but I haven't used a travel agent since around 1980 or so. Business travel was always arranged by my employer and I always did my own booking for personal travel. And the advent of online travel services has made even more complicated booking fairly easy. For HAL, I've just used a Personal Cruise Consultant who has been excellent at making things super easy and streamlined.

But if it means significant savings, I'll definitely look for a TA who is "Regent savvy." There are only 3 TAs in my small town and one of those is the national automobile club, so I'll likely need to deal with someone either online or in the closest "big city" (Seattle -- 115 miles away). I've done a search and found a few listed that are, indeed, in Seattle, so I'll see what happens later this week. Thanks!

I bring up the bed because it is so over the top. Few Regent customers could afford $10K+ per night to be in that suite (but it was amazing to take a tour of it).

We actually appreciate the Business Class air - especially when your embarkation or disembarkation port is far away. Even with Business Class air, places like Hong Kong and South Africa are still a heck of a long way to be flying. While we did long flights in coach in the old days, I cannot imagine doing them now.

Amen to not wanting to fly in coach for those really long hauls. We've yet to visit AUS/NZ, Africa, and Asia, but plan on it. All are substantial flights. We flew business class to Buenos Aires for our Antarctica trip and it sure spoils you REAL quick. It's not just the flight, but also getting to enjoy waiting in the first class lounge instead of at the noisy gates. No comparison.