LIVE!!!!! From the ECLIPSE 14night Southern Carib!! - CHICAGOPAUL -

chicagopaul

Thanks for the wonderful review and photos. Sorry to see that Celebrity is eliminating the 14 night Caribbean sailings going forward. A B2B is just not the same since they repeat shows and menus.

Do they have a reason why they are getting rid of them? We prefer the 14 night and one of the reasons we chose them - it works well over the Christmas holiday.

Well I finally have some videos up! More are coming though don't worry!

Here is a link to the full length room tour for the Celebrity Eclipse Royal Suite #1118

Here is a link to a 52 flight martini pour...set up right in front of me!

Here is a link to Martini Bar outtakes / practice. Not everything always goes perfectly!

Do they have a reason why they are getting rid of them? We prefer the 14 night and one of the reasons we chose them - it works well over the Christmas holiday.

From what the people on our roll call for the 3\18\18 Eclipse 14 night have been hearing, people tend to spend more money the first few days of boarding so Celebrity marketing is thinking it is better making 12 night the max and if people want to extend they can pair it with a 9 night voyage.

Its' a shame because so many of the people on our roll call have been doing the 14 night cruise year after year. We thought since we have been doing 10 night-ers a 14 night cruise would get more bang out of our flight expense bucks.

Enjoy your cruising days.

Really enjoyed every word of the review Paul. I love that you have the gift of looking at both sides of a coin instead of just one.

Many times the reviews on CC and elsewhere are too individual (and less systematic) to really be helpful to a larger group (.........they didn't offer my favorite salad dressing one night......I couldn't find a deck chair at 11AM on a sea day.... they wouldn't let me use my waffle iron in my room).

You highlights the pluses and hit the negatives when they pop up, but also try and see if their is any corporate/business reasoning behind them and ask questions before you give them a strike, and being a fellow cruiser I really appreciate that. As I know how easy it is to get caught up in our own individual voyages rather than the voyage in the bigger picture sense.

Plus I think you've done enough cruises that you know what is poor, fair, good, and excellent performance, that sometimes things happen and don't go according to plan, and interesting to watch how it plays out depending on the team onboard.

I know I'm always amazed by the strong crew members that can turn any situation, no matter how seemingly volatile at first into a positive customer experience one. Again thanks for sharing your insights and wisdom, and look forward to seeing you and Edward soon.

From what the people on our roll call for the 3\18\18 Eclipse 14 night have been hearing, people tend to spend more money the first few days of boarding so Celebrity marketing is thinking it is better making 12 night the max and if people want to extend they can pair it with a 9 night voyage.

Its' a shame because so many of the people on our roll call have been doing the 14 night cruise year after year. We thought since we have been doing 10 night-ers a 14 night cruise would get more bang out of our flight expense bucks.

You are completely right Nordic Prince. It's all about making money and stats show; more people do 7 and 10 day cruises than they do 14 day ones and people who do shorter ones spend the same amount of money on excursions, photos etc. than they do on 14 day ones. Had heard years ago Celebrity was planning to cut their 14 day itineraries; sad... who wants to go back to FLorida.. cold weather; rougher seas, more sea days to start eastern Caribbean cruise where as on 14 day one can do southern ports plus we agree... you get more out of your flight bunks if you cruise longer. Very sad that the 14 days ones are being cut. Would switch cruise lines in a minute but no other 14 day ones offered.

I agree 14 nights is perfect. More ports. Most bang for your buck.

We’ve done many Celebrity 10 and 11 nights.

We’ve done 11 and 12 nights on RCL.

14 nights on Celebrity is great. And the abc islands with an overnight in port helps enhance the experience.

Plus 2 weeks on board is so relaxing. You get to know so many nice people.

Sorry for the little bit of a break in the final review. I think I've covered lots of the main items but the one area I did not cover was the suite experience.

We have stayed in Sky Suites before but this is the first time we have ever stayed in a Royal Suite. When we first booked this cruise we booked a concierge room and then upgraded to aqua. After final payment we jumped on a Sky Suite and then we saw a nice price drop on the Royal Suite and jumped on that. Talk about a big shift! It came with a big price tag, but the cost per night was the cheapest we've ever seen a Royal Suite advertised on any S class ship.

We were specifically in room 1118. Alfred was our butler.

The Room

Lets be honest; the extra space was fantastic. Having a separate living area from the bed area was great in the morning. We had our butler come in the morning and deliver breakfast on half the days or at least coffee. We would never hear him come in. It was fantastic to open the bedroom door and see breakfast sitting there.

I loved the bathroom. Having a stand up shower and not having to step in over the tub like the sky suites was great. The additional drawer storage in the bathroom was nice, but we've always had great storage in the bathrooms even in the Verandah cabins. The double sinks were a nice plus and we enjoyed having that extra space. We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, but on this cruise we felt like we were spending just a little extra time. Instead of napping on deck for an hour we'd do so in our room or on the balcony. It felt much more like a home versus a cabin.

The extra half bath was nice. We could take our time getting ready in the morning or in the shower and not having to worry about one of us "needing to get in" to the bathroom. We didn't use the guest bath much, but it was nice to have it there when we did.

The bathtub on the balcony was cool, but not that practical. We used it once. Well, I used it once. Edward didn't use it. It's not really suited for two people as its a rectangle (just like a bathtub) and you really "fall into" the tub. Unlike a hot tub where you feel like you can sit up and have a drink. Aesthetically they look great. In practice, a round shaped hot tub or even a round shaped regular tub would work better. But oh well, this is truly a first world problem isn't it?

We did have an extra lounger brought out to the balcony. Personally I thought this crowded the balcony. I wouldn't do it again. I'd be happy with the table, two chairs, lounger, and the tub.

Overall we found the room to be in very good shape. Furniture was in great shape, bathrooms were very clean. The grout, caulking around the shower, etc. was in excellent shape. The only negative from a maintenance standpoint was the balcony. The salt was prevalent on the balcony and there was some decent wear on the railing. A little rust on one of the handles by the tub, but besides that no other rust. It's a small item to note, but something worth mentioning.

The layout was great, but the layout of the bedroom / closet area was a bit challenging for two people getting ready. If we were getting dressed around the same time we kept finding us bumping into each other. Unlike in the sky suite where it's quite wide near the closet area it is easy to walk around each other. In the bedroom here it was a tight squeeze.

Butler Alfred

We did not use our butler for much, but he was very good. Alfred was extremely professional and was not an amateur. He handled at least one of the penthouse suites as well. He carried himself extremely well. Very well polished. He gave us the space we knew we wanted but he still made sure to make himself present so we knew he was there. We had him deliver breakfast about 8 times. We had him shine our shoes a few times. Each time our shoes were returned within a few hours. We had laundry completed twice including some pressing and dry cleaning. Both times the turnaround was less than 24hrs. He kept our bar area stocked with Pellegrino and ginger ale per request. We had some beers stocked but we never drank them. On the last night we needed some tape to tape up a bottle of liquor we opened (Remy) and he fetched it right away. He brought a very heavy duty packing tape and it did the job. Sometimes we left the do not disturb on and he suspected that. We found out he knew we frequented the pool bar each morning so he'd call the pool bar to make sure we were there so he could tend to our room. Little things like that, he did well and he did secretly. In my opinion that is all I want and need from a butler. Others are different and I firmly believe that if you were one that wanted a lot more attention he would sense that and you'd definitely get all the attention you need.

Did the Royal Suite spoil us?

When we first walked in we LOVED all the space. We still LOVE all the space. I was worried going in that after staying in a Royal we'd cut back and cruise only once a year so we could do so in a Royal or Penthouse. But after 14 days in the Royal, while I did love the space, I realized I don't NEED it. I am shocked I'm actually saying that to be honest, but it's the truth. Now don't get me wrong, if money were no object I'd of course book it each time. But we'd be very happy with just a sky suite. While I think all suites get great perks and great treatment, I think the biggest perk is the understanding from the staff that you're in a "royal or penthouse" suite. That to me is the benefit I will truly miss when not in a royal suite.

Michael's Club

We barely used Michael's Club but it was to know it was there. We had one drink in there. We did get to know Sara the MCC quite well and I have to say she was fantastic. Extremely talkative and she made a point to come out and find us whether we were at the bars or at dinner she'd make a point to stop by and check on us. She took care of our luggage valet and handled some printing we needed with regard to that. She scheduled the bridge tour (I made a point to ask her about this as I was excited about it) and she made sure we had good tables in our specialty dining reservations. We really liked Sara and hope to see her on a future cruise.

Luminae

I already touched on this before. We had great service and always had an excellent table. They seemed to be OVERLY concerned about the quality of table we received. I'm not sure if that is because we were in a royal or because we knew Nenad from previous cruises, but we always had a nice window table or offered a private table or even a table for 4 so we'd have some privacy.

So those are my thoughts on the Royal Suite. We loved it. But at the end of the day I'm just happy to be on the cruise. For the price we paid, we would definitely pay it again. I know some people don't like talking about price, but I don't mind. For the 14nt cruise we paid $12,200 for the Royal Suite after taxes, port fees, etc. This included $450 OBC from Celebrity plus a very generous OBC (which we took in the from of a rebate check) from our TA. For 14nights on the Eclipse I thought it was a wonderful price.

Our next cruise we're booked in a regular Verandah and then a Sky Suite after that. At the end of the day put me on a Celebrity ship and a drink in my hand and you'll have me smiling.

I'll have a few more videos uploaded shortly as well as all the menus I promised in downloadable format. As always, any questions at all please feel free to continue to ask!

Hi Paul

I wish I was as eloquent as you, what great review.

We have 3 cruises booked next year, all in AQ,

The step up to suite level is for me too much.

I would rather have 3 cruises than one in a suite , although for a very very special occasion if the price was right would maybe splurge.

You both seem to ipitomise what we like about Celebrity.

Enjoy the experience and if you have a hic-up deal with it.

Thanks for the review

Sorry for the little bit of a break in the final review. I think I've covered lots of the main items but the one area I did not cover was the suite experience.

We have stayed in Sky Suites before but this is the first time we have ever stayed in a Royal Suite. When we first booked this cruise we booked a concierge room and then upgraded to aqua. After final payment we jumped on a Sky Suite and then we saw a nice price drop on the Royal Suite and jumped on that. Talk about a big shift! It came with a big price tag, but the cost per night was the cheapest we've ever seen a Royal Suite advertised on any S class ship.

We were specifically in room 1118. Alfred was our butler.

The Room

Lets be honest; the extra space was fantastic. Having a separate living area from the bed area was great in the morning. We had our butler come in the morning and deliver breakfast on half the days or at least coffee. We would never hear him come in. It was fantastic to open the bedroom door and see breakfast sitting there.

I loved the bathroom. Having a stand up shower and not having to step in over the tub like the sky suites was great. The additional drawer storage in the bathroom was nice, but we've always had great storage in the bathrooms even in the Verandah cabins. The double sinks were a nice plus and we enjoyed having that extra space. We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, but on this cruise we felt like we were spending just a little extra time. Instead of napping on deck for an hour we'd do so in our room or on the balcony. It felt much more like a home versus a cabin.

The extra half bath was nice. We could take our time getting ready in the morning or in the shower and not having to worry about one of us "needing to get in" to the bathroom. We didn't use the guest bath much, but it was nice to have it there when we did.

The bathtub on the balcony was cool, but not that practical. We used it once. Well, I used it once. Edward didn't use it. It's not really suited for two people as its a rectangle (just like a bathtub) and you really "fall into" the tub. Unlike a hot tub where you feel like you can sit up and have a drink. Aesthetically they look great. In practice, a round shaped hot tub or even a round shaped regular tub would work better. But oh well, this is truly a first world problem isn't it?

We did have an extra lounger brought out to the balcony. Personally I thought this crowded the balcony. I wouldn't do it again. I'd be happy with the table, two chairs, lounger, and the tub.

Overall we found the room to be in very good shape. Furniture was in great shape, bathrooms were very clean. The grout, caulking around the shower, etc. was in excellent shape. The only negative from a maintenance standpoint was the balcony. The salt was prevalent on the balcony and there was some decent wear on the railing. A little rust on one of the handles by the tub, but besides that no other rust. It's a small item to note, but something worth mentioning.

The layout was great, but the layout of the bedroom / closet area was a bit challenging for two people getting ready. If we were getting dressed around the same time we kept finding us bumping into each other. Unlike in the sky suite where it's quite wide near the closet area it is easy to walk around each other. In the bedroom here it was a tight squeeze.

Butler Alfred

We did not use our butler for much, but he was very good. Alfred was extremely professional and was not an amateur. He handled at least one of the penthouse suites as well. He carried himself extremely well. Very well polished. He gave us the space we knew we wanted but he still made sure to make himself present so we knew he was there. We had him deliver breakfast about 8 times. We had him shine our shoes a few times. Each time our shoes were returned within a few hours. We had laundry completed twice including some pressing and dry cleaning. Both times the turnaround was less than 24hrs. He kept our bar area stocked with Pellegrino and ginger ale per request. We had some beers stocked but we never drank them. On the last night we needed some tape to tape up a bottle of liquor we opened (Remy) and he fetched it right away. He brought a very heavy duty packing tape and it did the job. Sometimes we left the do not disturb on and he suspected that. We found out he knew we frequented the pool bar each morning so he'd call the pool bar to make sure we were there so he could tend to our room. Little things like that, he did well and he did secretly. In my opinion that is all I want and need from a butler. Others are different and I firmly believe that if you were one that wanted a lot more attention he would sense that and you'd definitely get all the attention you need.

Did the Royal Suite spoil us?

When we first walked in we LOVED all the space. We still LOVE all the space. I was worried going in that after staying in a Royal we'd cut back and cruise only once a year so we could do so in a Royal or Penthouse. But after 14 days in the Royal, while I did love the space, I realized I don't NEED it. I am shocked I'm actually saying that to be honest, but it's the truth. Now don't get me wrong, if money were no object I'd of course book it each time. But we'd be very happy with just a sky suite. While I think all suites get great perks and great treatment, I think the biggest perk is the understanding from the staff that you're in a "royal or penthouse" suite. That to me is the benefit I will truly miss when not in a royal suite.

Michael's Club

We barely used Michael's Club but it was to know it was there. We had one drink in there. We did get to know Sara the MCC quite well and I have to say she was fantastic. Extremely talkative and she made a point to come out and find us whether we were at the bars or at dinner she'd make a point to stop by and check on us. She took care of our luggage valet and handled some printing we needed with regard to that. She scheduled the bridge tour (I made a point to ask her about this as I was excited about it) and she made sure we had good tables in our specialty dining reservations. We really liked Sara and hope to see her on a future cruise.

Luminae

I already touched on this before. We had great service and always had an excellent table. They seemed to be OVERLY concerned about the quality of table we received. I'm not sure if that is because we were in a royal or because we knew Nenad from previous cruises, but we always had a nice window table or offered a private table or even a table for 4 so we'd have some privacy.

So those are my thoughts on the Royal Suite. We loved it. But at the end of the day I'm just happy to be on the cruise. For the price we paid, we would definitely pay it again. I know some people don't like talking about price, but I don't mind. For the 14nt cruise we paid $12,200 for the Royal Suite after taxes, port fees, etc. This included $450 OBC from Celebrity plus a very generous OBC (which we took in the from of a rebate check) from our TA. For 14nights on the Eclipse I thought it was a wonderful price.

Our next cruise we're booked in a regular Verandah and then a Sky Suite after that. At the end of the day put me on a Celebrity ship and a drink in my hand and you'll have me smiling.

I'll have a few more videos uploaded shortly as well as all the menus I promised in downloadable format. As always, any questions at all please feel free to continue to ask!

Good write up Paul. While I never stayed in a Royal Suite (2 Celebrity Suites and 6 Sky Suites), the extra room never seemed needed, nor the extra closet space. Michaels Club I never really found appealing. Only big plus of suite life is Luminae and the shower in the RS more than anything else.

Similiar to your plans I have a CC3 next, then a CC2, then a ES on Edge in December. Hoping a suite deal (a W guarantee), comes along on one or more, but certainly won't fret if it doesn't.

We are on the Eclipse at this very moment, as we have been for the past five years at this same time of year. The service has been excellent but I am very disappointed in Luminae. The food offerings have been generally mundane and unimaginative. I have taken to ordering at least some dishes from the main menu which makes me wonder why I am paying for a suite. Also, the poor waiters in Luminae are hustling so much that one of them actually is breaking out into a trot to provide service. He is the nicest man but he seriously overworked. My wife feels very sympathetic for him, as he is performing every possible dining room function short of washing the dishes, and maybe he's doing that, too. Celebrity is lucky to have employees like him and others like him.

Well I finally have some videos up! More are coming though don't worry!

Here is a link to the full length room tour for the Celebrity Eclipse Royal Suite #1118

Here is a link to a 52 flight martini pour...set up right in front of me!

Here is a link to Martini Bar outtakes / practice. Not everything always goes perfectly!

Paul, what do they do with the martinis?

Paul, what do they do with the martinis?

They passed them out to everyone. I was actually sitting in front of it and they put me in charge of what to do with them, literally! A couple bartenders helped pass some out and then so did Edward and I. We tried a few of them to see how they tasted. All tasted good but not our personal preference. We primarily like our liquor straight.

Check out this video that I sped up. You’ll see them being handed out at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They passed them out to everyone. I was actually sitting in front of it and they put me in charge of what to do with them, literally! A couple bartenders helped pass some out and then so did Edward and I. We tried a few of them to see how they tasted. All tasted good but not our personal preference. We primarily like our liquor straight.

Check out this video that I sped up. You’ll see them being handed out at the end.

Loved the video!

Thanks.

I have a couple questions - were the Martinis all different flavors or all the same (I noticed you sampled quite a few ;) )

When did this take place? The last night of the cruise or the last formal night?

We normally frequent the World Class Bar but I would love to see this in person!

Loved the video!

Thanks.

I have a couple questions - were the Martinis all different flavors or all the same (I noticed you sampled quite a few ;) )

When did this take place? The last night of the cruise or the last formal night?

We normally frequent the World Class Bar but I would love to see this in person!

Yes, each color was a different flavor. You'll notice two different shades of blue, each was different. I think in total there were 7 or 8 different ones. The clear ones were classic vodka martinis, there was an apple I believe, I know there was a lemonade type martini, there were the two blue ones that are on the menu, the lychee was the milky colored one, you had the cosmo as well.

For us this took place on the last formal night which I've found from previous cruises is typically the case. Usually what happens is a few groups will get together and buy some flights and they'll do them all at once. If that doesn't happen then they still put on the show. In this case the bartender told me they were doing it on the last formal night and asked me to pick a time. I told him 8pm and boom, it was 8pm on the last formal night and they had saved seats for me right in front of the flight. So if you want to watch it I'd recommend being there on the last formal night but also ask the bartenders when they plan to do it. They may have a plan, they may not.

You'll notice smaller flights going on throughout the cruise, 7 or maybe 14, etc. But they always save the biggest for last!

Chicagopaul please cruise frequently, your reviews are the best!

Haha, Thank you! Wish we could cruise more. We would if my partner could take more time off work! Our next is planned for April 13th. Transatlantic on the Reflection.

Just be cautious on the luggage valet as there are time restrictions, especially for southwest. Last time we were porting out of Miami but flying on southwest through FLL and the only times luggage vale was available for Southwest was between 2 and 6pm. I have the flyer somewhere, I'll try to post it.

Tomorrow I'll have a bunch of videos posted. The full video of the room tour, some martini bar videos, videos of entertainment in the ensemble lounge, and some of the parties on the ship as well as sail away from the helipad among others.

Then in another day I should be able to have all the daily programs in one PDF file for download along with all the menus available for download or at least on a separate linked site for easy future reference.

Any questions anyone has let me know!

Also to the person who asked about restaurant recommendations in Chicago - shoot me a private message on here with your e-mail address and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction and give you some contacts here!

I really enjoyed your review of this cruise and also of the president cruise you were on. I hate to ask, but did you ever have a chance to scan in the daily programs into one downloadable PDF? I have the same cruise coming up in February and would love to see the daily's. If you have already posted them could you tell me where? Again I would like to thank for your very detailed review and time you spent of your cruise to bring it us on cruise critics.

Just be cautious on the luggage valet as there are time restrictions, especially for southwest. Last time we were porting out of Miami but flying on southwest through FLL and the only times luggage vale was available for Southwest was between 2 and 6pm. I have the flyer somewhere, I'll try to post it.

I previously posted the flyer earlier in this thread. A search should turn it up. Try this link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54683920&postcount=209

Here’s an excerpt showing the time info for cruise that disembarked in Miami:

This program is only offered to guests flying from:

Miami Airport (MIA) with: American Airlines, Delta Air lines (domestic only), United Airlines.

> Fort Lauderdale Airport (FLL) with: American Airlines, Delta Air lines (domestic), JetBlue Ainivays, United Airlines and Southwest Airlines.

All flights must depart between 11:30am and 11:59pm, if departing Miami International Airport,

and between 2:00pm and 11:59pm, if departing from from Ft Lauderdale Airport.

International and Domestic flights accepted. If flying on Delta Air Lines, only domestic flights accepted. Your connecting flights DO NOT have to be on a participating airline as long as it’s on the same reservation.

Sorry if the formatting comes through weird. I pasted from a PDF using OCR.

Jane

Edited by JaneStarr
To add link to post with Flyer

Hello Paul,

I have just finished reading your review and have enjoyed it immensely. I am thrilled to hear that Nenad is now on the Eclipse because I will be staying in a suite on February 4th for the same itinerary as your cruise.

Eighteen months ago I found out after allergy patch testing that I am allergic to several things that are in many foods, clothes, toiletries and cleaners. I was literally scared to do so but booked a cruise last February on the Reflection and Celebrity came through for me. They laundered the linens and my personal clothes in a special manner and did a double cleaning in my cabin each time (once with their normal cleaners then a second time with vinegar to neutralize the chemicals I'm allergic to). But more important they cooked my food specially for me. That's where Nenad came into play. He spent time with me before my first meal in Luminae to find out exactly what I could and could not eat. Then he went and got the chef to talk with me to make sure that my needs would be met. He found out that I loved the Museli that they fix at the table side in Blu, so he personally went up to Blu several mornings and prepared museli for me with only things I could have added. He said he would not take a chance on having someone else make it and perhaps put something in it that I was allergic to. He came to my table before each and every meal in Luminae to make sure that my food was prepared properly.

So, after all that useless information, do you know for sure that Nenad will still be on Eclipse for the February 4th sailing? I will feel so much better if I know that he will be on the Eclipse for my upcoming cruise!