Does anyone else feel that river cruises are overpriced?

OnTheJourney

Just as a note to one of your comments. The vast majority of Americans have no concept of bulk wholesale pricing on alcoholic beverages. Honestly, they have no reason to have. However, those bar drink prices and/or retail prices people often see are typically greater than 2X the normal wholesale price and often 4X what bulk buyers like cruise lines pay. All in , that piece of apple strudel, at dessert, probably cost the line as much as a couple glasses of wine or mix drinks. The line’s cost on the wine they are pouring cost them maybe 3 Euro per bottle, forget what you see it sold for. With a little over 6 glasses per bottle, keeping those cruisers happy with wine is inexpensive customer service. You are not subsiding much when watching your fellow passengers quaff their wine or mix drinks.

I will agree with you that mediocre food on any line is unacceptable.

Standard pour is 5 glasses per bottle [and by-the-glass pricing at 1/4 of bottle price] -- and if you make a friend of the sommelier maybe 4 glasses per...

Jazz;

Twenty six (26) Oz in a 750 ml bottle. Rarely do you see 5 Oz pours unless they are overfilling the glass. Quarter bottle = 6.5 Oz pours. Probably not.

Either way, taking your number of 5 pours out of a $3 bottle is not a big cost. $0.60 per glass.

Actually, the beer and wine would be fine for me! And all of the wine on board was dry anyway - which I really don't care for as much as a sweeter variety. I drank it since it was offered and included, but would never go out and buy a bottle of dry wine for at home.

Most lines (Viking, Vantage, Avalon, Uniworld, etc) include beer and wine with meals.

Jazz;

Twenty six (26) Oz in a 750 ml bottle. Rarely do you see 5 Oz pours unless they are overfilling the glass. Quarter bottle = 6.5 Oz pours. Probably not.

Either way, taking your number of 5 pours out of a $3 bottle is not a big cost. $0.60 per glass.

"A standard pour is generally 5 ounces (that’s five glasses to every 750 ml bottle). However, some restaurants will pour as much as 6 ounces and a few may offer less, depending on the price of the wine."

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2008/07/15/whats-a-standard-pour/

And based on my 6.5 ounces pours at home, that's about right.

I think the solution for the OP is obvious--book with a cruise line that only includes beer and wine with meals, and let the heavy drinkers subsidize themselves.

That was my feeling when we took our first cruise. I like a little Gran Marnier as the evening winds down, but on a river cruise, there is no problem bringing your own, and sipping it in your cabin as the world floats by. My wife and I are fairly social, but we are, also, not party people. We are best friends, and prefer our company to a party. So, we eat dinner have 2, 3 or 4 glasses of local wine with dinner. If the weather is nice we may go up on deck for a few minutes a look at the stars, otherwise we head to the cabin and if we have one of the Avalon's rooms where the bed faces the sliding glass door we watch the world float by.

When we attend pre dinner activities we usually order a drink or champagne, and they are not at all expensive compared to say Royal Caribbean. I think a gin and tonic was 3 or 4 dollars.

JC

Another thing about the cost. A river cruise is way more expensive than independent travel in Europe. We have been to Europe for independent travel at least a dozen times, and our two river cruises were the most expensive European vacations we have ever taken. That said, it was a very pleasant experience. Sometimes it is niced to just go along without having to over think everything. Independent travel requires a great investment in time for planning and working out logistics. If money is no object, a River cruise is a wonderful luxury. But make no mistake it is an expensive luxury.

JC

Another thing about the cost. A river cruise is way more expensive than independent travel in Europe. We have been to Europe for independent travel at least a dozen times, and our two river cruises were the most expensive European vacations we have ever taken. That said, it was a very pleasant experience. Sometimes it is niced to just go along without having to over think everything. Independent travel requires a great investment in time for planning and working out logistics. If money is no object, a River cruise is a wonderful luxury. But make no mistake it is an expensive luxury.

JC

Interesting post and pretty well confirms what I've been thinking is the case relative to these (at least European) river trips. As you say, any independent travel does require that one do their homework. I'm fine with it for a domestic fly/drive trip - and really enjoy working all those details out - but I've little interest in trying to do the same with flying to an international destination and then going it on my own. Your last statement pretty well sums it up anyway! :)

Is there anyone out there that has cruised on American Cruise Line. They are entering the world of river cruising with new ships. The American Constellation early this year and her sister ship American Constitution early 2018.We are booked on American Constitution for june 2018.We did find the fare very expensive. The area and the idea of going into smaller ports is what drew us to book. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:cool::hearteyes:

Is there anyone out there that has cruised on American Cruise Line. They are entering the world of river cruising with new ships. The American Constellation early this year and her sister ship American Constitution early 2018.We are booked on American Constitution for june 2018.We did find the fare very expensive. The area and the idea of going into smaller ports is what drew us to book. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:cool::hearteyes:

American Cruise Lines is not new to river cruising, and for historical reasons they have their own Board on Cruise Critic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1059

[as does American Queen Steamboat Company

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=775]

Thanks for the feedback. I realize A C L has been doing rive cruises.I have not been interested in the previous ships. I feel the 2 ships I mentioned are more to our liking. We have cruised 23 times on the popular larger lines. We feel this is perfect for our 50th wedding anniversary. I am trying to get feedback on American Constellation any way I can catch some ones eye. River cruising

Bottom Line

If you think river cruising is too expensive for you, stick to Ocean Cruising or Land Based travel. That way you will not regret the expense and can enjoy your vacation. Those that think it is a reasonable expense, Enjoy yourselves!!!

Interesting post and pretty well confirms what I've been thinking is the case relative to these (at least European) river trips. As you say, any independent travel does require that one do their homework. I'm fine with it for a domestic fly/drive trip - and really enjoy working all those details out - but I've little interest in trying to do the same with flying to an international destination and then going it on my own. Your last statement pretty well sums it up anyway! :)

Europe independent travel is harder than domestic, but not that much harder. Of course, it took me a few trips to countries where the people drive on the wrong side of the road (i.e. Left side of the road) to figure that out so that I feel safe doing so.

I find it just as hard planning independent travel to Alaska that I am working on for next year as anything I have done in Europe or Australia or NZ or Japan.

Next trip to Europe is a week of independent travel from Barcelona and South of France prior to the Symphony of the Seas TA. I like to combine tour/cruise/ with independent travel. Takes the complexity down a notch.

Try it you might like it. I do.

• Members

The hassle factor of independent travel can be huge, particularly when dealing with a group or other couples. I spent my vacation in Germany/Austria on a non-cruise trip with my husband, sister and her husband. A week ended up costing as much as a river cruise, with a lot more hassle that all fell upon me, particularly in organizing tours, places to eat, transportation between cities, etc. As I told my husband at one point, "I'm not a cruise director -- this doesn't feel like a vacation for me!"

Next year, they are joining me when on a work trip on Emerald (they'll be on vacation).

Edited by LauraS

The hassle factor of independent travel can be huge, particularly when dealing with a group or other couples. I spent my vacation in Germany/Austria on a non-cruise trip with my husband, sister and her husband. A week ended up costing as much as a river cruise, with a lot more hassle that all fell upon me, particularly in organizing tours, places to eat, transportation between cities, etc. As I told my husband at one point, "I'm not a cruise director -- this doesn't feel like a vacation for me!"

Next year, the four of us are doing a river cruise on Emerald for our vacation :) I do love independent travel, but will save it for when it's just two of us.

Hi Chris. I mostly agree, but I have done both travel with others independently and just as a couple. That said, you must stay at some really nice hotels to spend what my river cruises cost. I know I am spoiled because I prefer to have a balcony or not go, so the cheapest cruise on Avalon in a panorama suite booked relatively last minute less than 100 days prior to cruise at the end of regular season before Christmas season cost over $500 per day, and the first cruise on an older Avalon ship cost over $800 a day when we booked it a year and a half in advance. I am pretty particular though who I do independent travel with, basically they have to want to go and do what I want to do. There is nothing worse than a high maintenance couple who expect you to be a cruise director for them, and then complain. Beyond one complaint and they are no longer on the list. :halo:

JC

Not surprising that if you cruise in the most expensive possible way it will be expensive.

I've been looking at the Nile for early 2019, and even the more reasonable European lines are $5,000 and up pp. Yet a luxury cruise with fabulous reviews where you can check out the boat on YouTube can be had for less than $5,000 total for BOTH of us. Sure there are differences but no way do the differences justify twice (or more) the price to us.

OTOH, we were fine paying Viking's price for the Christmas Market Danube cruise we will be on in about a week.

I think OP just got an expectations mismatch.

Not surprising that if you cruise in the most expensive possible way it will be expensive.

I've been looking at the Nile for early 2019, and even the more reasonable European lines are $5,000 and up pp. Yet a luxury cruise with fabulous reviews where you can check out the boat on YouTube can be had for less than $5,000 total for BOTH of us. Sure there are differences but no way do the differences justify twice (or more) the price to us.

OTOH, we were fine paying Viking's price for the Christmas Market Danube cruise we will be on in about a week.

I wonder if the cost of security on Nile cruises has raised the price. I remember reading a review that stated they had armed guards with them for the whole trip.

I wonder if the cost of security on Nile cruises has raised the price. I remember reading a review that stated they had armed guards with them for the whole trip.

Would love to do the Nile, but yeah, I am thinking not in this lifetime.

JC

Bottom Line

If you think river cruising is too expensive for you, stick to Ocean Cruising or Land Based travel. That way you will not regret the expense and can enjoy your vacation. Those that think it is a reasonable expense, Enjoy yourselves!!!

Didn't say it's "too expensive" for me...just that it appears to be overpriced in some ways. I believe there is a marked difference between the two. I've bought lots of things over the years that, in retrospect, I consider now to probably not have been reasonably priced. I really enjoyed the river trip and know of at least three more that I'll probably do sometime - 2 with Tauck and 1 with Viking. So the suggestion to give up additional river cruising because I can then "enjoy" my vacation is, I feel, not applicable and also - if I may be a bit direct - borders on being an unfair criticism. I don't "regret" having taken the river cruise at all. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I took about 2.5 hours of video and close to 600 pictures! So your recommendation for the group you refer to as going and 'enjoying' themselves on a river trip hopefully includes me as well :) I guess I came on way too negative in this thread. Just because a thing is more expensive than I feel it should be, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy or like that thing as much as someone who feels it is not overpriced at all (or even cheap, for that matter).

Your last statement is accurate. I did indeed expect a bit more in some aspects of the river journey - strictly relative to what took place onboard though. What took place off the ship - the excursions, meals, etc., were all great. I'm sure I'll view the entire experience in an even more positive and favorable light as time passes. I do know, however, that the trip will not ever rank among one of my all-time favorites - probably cause, even though the cruise was on the river (a different experience than I've had previously), I've been to Europe a good number of times over the years and so much of it didn't feel like anything really 'new'...did not have the "wow" factor like I experienced the very first time I traveled internationally. All that being said, I'll definitely go on additional river trips.

One thing I did NOT mention - which really floored me - is that often the boat shook so much and vibrated during the overnight sailing hours that I sometimes found it hard to sleep. Had we not kept the bathroom door open all the time at night, it would have been nearly impossible to sleep with it closed, even with ear plugs. There was obviously enough play in the jam that the door just shook rather violently back and forth. Couldn't believe it. I should have said something to the cabin steward but just never thought of it. Doubt that much would have been done about it anyway. At times I felt like I was back on the Amtrak auto train on the overnight trek from Lorton to Sanford!! Once again, for the price paid for the category 7 room, I would never have imagined that there would be such vibration. Not what I expected at all - a total "mismatch", as it were.

Your last statement is accurate. I did indeed expect a bit more in some aspects of the river journey - strictly relative to what took place onboard though. What took place off the ship - the excursions, meals, etc., were all great. I'm sure I'll view the entire experience in an even more positive and favorable light as time passes. I do know, however, that the trip will not ever rank among one of my all-time favorites - probably cause, even though the cruise was on the river (a different experience than I've had previously), I've been to Europe a good number of times over the years and so much of it didn't feel like anything really 'new'...did not have the "wow" factor like I experienced the very first time I traveled internationally. All that being said, I'll definitely go on additional river trips.

One thing I did NOT mention - which really floored me - is that often the boat shook so much and vibrated during the overnight sailing hours that I sometimes found it hard to sleep. Had we not kept the bathroom door open all the time at night, it would have been nearly impossible to sleep with it closed, even with ear plugs. There was obviously enough play in the jam that the door just shook rather violently back and forth. Couldn't believe it. I should have said something to the cabin steward but just never thought of it. Doubt that much would have been done about it anyway. At times I felt like I was back on the Amtrak auto train on the overnight trek from Lorton to Sanford!! Once again, for the price paid for the category 7 room, I would never have imagined that there would be such vibration. Not what I expected at all - a total "mismatch", as it were.

I think you and I have an almost exact view of the river cruise experience. I really really enjoyed both of our cruises, but they are stupid expensive for what you get and do. They surely beat the heck out of a bus trip to Europe that we did when I was 25. So, they are a wonderful bonding experience, unlike other cruises you are likely to make at least 3 times as many friends due to the way dinners and tours happen, with the same people day after day, and there is a value to that which is not monetary.

On the vibration point. The night we went into the Rhine Gorge on our last trip was a extreme low water. The captain and cruise director were not sure at least one day before we got there that we would be able to sail through. I was like crap this is going to turn into a bus trip on day 4. Since we were on the middle of 3 decks, we felt a tremor, but according to the captain the ship was dragging over several rocks, and I imagine on the lower deck it would have bee worse than a vibration. We do a lot of rafting and kayaking and I know when I put my kayak over a part higher than I hoped for what that feels like, I can only imagine on a large river cruise ship. The amount of scraping that is occurring.

JC

Didn't say it's "too expensive" for me...just that it appears to be overpriced in some ways... I really enjoyed the river trip and know of at least three more that I'll probably do sometime - 2 with Tauck and 1 with Viking...

One thing I did NOT mention - which really floored me - is that often the boat shook so much and vibrated during the overnight sailing hours that I sometimes found it hard to sleep...

This further information strongly suggests that you should try other river cruise lines before committing to two more on this same line that disappointed you. Neither of my AMA cruise ships had any vibration (one sailing upstream on the Rhine, and the other with strong downstream currents on the Rhone). "Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on me"

I’m really glad you brought up this topic. We do not drink alcohol beverages and I am with you when there is a choice I will choose gratuities included or WiFi over the alcohol package. I think I would feel the same as you that I paid more money for something I do not take advantage of. Some people do not want WiFi. Well if you had to pay for it and not use it, you would not be happy either. So we have stayed clear of the river cruises partially for this reason. We have had some really wonderful cruises on the mainstream lines and would rather go twice than once on a more expensive cruise line. And yes, we have travelled on many upscale ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

JC

IMO this is completely dependent on the hotels you choose and the restaurants you enjoy versus the river lines/cabin category you choose. We very much enjoy independent travel in Europe but it is not always less expensive.

In August we were in Milan for a few nights pre cruise. We stayed at Park Hyatt, which is our preference. Room was 725 E per night (we used points for part of stay). No meals or drinks are included and we enjoy good wine and great food and choose accordingly. Add in our transport costs, drinks, meals and wine and we were easily at 900E per night. 450 E per night can buy a nice river cruise on a good line.

Yes, we do also stay at more budget friendly hotels but it is inaccurate to state that one travel style is more than the other. Choosing a budget river cruise line in their cheapest cabin can be just as inexpensive, all in, as a DIY land trip, once ALL costs are factored in - for an equivalent itinerary. Croisi is just one example. That is anything BUT a luxury experience IMO.

A river cruise is not always the more expensive or more luxurious option.

We are booked on Uniworld's first cruise of the season on the Rhone next spring. I booked the cruise Labor Day weekend, and our total, for two, is $4100 (including port charges). We booked a category 4, because we are rarely in the room, except to sleep. In the past, we have been given a one category upgrade, if available, as past passengers, which would mean a French balcony. Next year, this isn't listed as a past guest benefit, so we will have to wait and see:-) We do still get a free bag of laundry, each, which always comes in handy.

We do enjoy drinking what we want, when we want, and not having to worry about signing a slip, etc. Though Uniworld does have a few "extra charge" excursions, we usually find their included tours to be sufficient, and like caviargal, often venture off on our own anyway. It's nice to be able to leave the ship knowing that we owe nothing.

Because we choose to travel at the beginning of the season, we are usually able to find good deals, usually booking in October or November. We have been fortunate to accumulate enough miles to fly free each year. We commonly extend our trip, either before and/or after the cruise as well. Last year, by monitoring our hotel in Lucerne's website, I was able to save close to $200 as their prices dropped, closer to our travel dates. For next spring's cruise, our hotel in Paris had a Black Friday sale last week, so I rebooked, and saved $150 over the original booking price.

I feel I get a very fair price for a higher tier river cruise line, and haven't considered my experiences to be overpriced, at all.

Robin