Good news and maybe some not so good news - reflection

ghstudio

I noticed the change in glassware too...

It wasn't just the Aspens in Al Bacio. Lower quality mixers were used for cocktails in other bars. Reminds me of the stuff they serve in chain restaurants like Applebees. You have to be really specific when you order.

It wasn't just the Aspens in Al Bacio. Lower quality mixers were used for cocktails in other bars. Reminds me of the stuff they serve in chain restaurants like Applebees. You have to be really specific when you order.

This is true but I feel like it has always been like this. Not just on X but also at bars in land. I always call my drinks and try to order at the bar instead of from a server, unless I get to know the server and he delivers what I asked for. It is difficult to fool someone when you know how things are supposed to taste. Lionel, server from the pool deck was great on the Silhouette!

. For me life's too short to accept second rate when I deserve first rate, especially when I paid through the nose for it.

I'm quite sure you don't know what paying thru the nose really means as I've always found that Celebrity offers pretty good value for your money. Personally, I've never received service or anything on Celebrity that could be considered second rate. Most things are not top top rate, but you need to go to a super premium line for that. Celebrity suits DW and I just fine. We have no complaints.

I'm quite sure you don't know what paying thru the nose really means as I've always found that Celebrity offers pretty good value for your money. Personally, I've never received service or anything on Celebrity that could be considered second rate. Most things are not top top rate, but you need to go to a super premium line for that. Celebrity suits DW and I just fine. We have no complaints.

Paying through the nose can mean different things for different people. What is nothing to you could mean significant savings to others so expecting premium should not be surprising.

Just back today from Reflection.

Bloody Marys had no garnishment when we ordered them poolside. Next day I went to the bar and specifically asked for Lemon and Olives which I received (two small olives though).

Sodas on Classic were delivered in cans.:cool:

Ditto for us on the same cruise...nothing in bloody marys....(small) olives were hit or miss in martinis. Once again, our friends, elite but without any drink package, asked for a bloody mary in the elite cocktail event. No problem on two nights...the third night the waiter said it's not on the "menu" so he can't serve it. I asked if he could bring spicy tomato juice (yes), how about a glass of vodka (yes)....he got the point and brought the bloody mary. It's such a silly thing. On the same note, Absolut vodka is on the included drink list. Tito's is the same price on board (and actually in stores). When I asked for Titos, they asked for my card...it wasn't included (I had a drink package so I just gave him the card....) Silly rules.

The Porch is almost never mentioned, but actually quite good and probably the best price/performer specialty restaurant on the reflection. Next time you are on that ship...take a look at the menu. The cold lobster on their seafood tower was the best I've had on any celebrity ship in any restaurant. You can order additional lobster tails, scallops mussels, shrimp if you want....Many choices of appetizers and you can order multiples of them also. Give it a try.

MDR food has IMHO improved...we had roast beef twice and it was very good both times...onion soup had onions in it (don't get me started on that topic). Desserts were probably the low point which was good for me who should be watching my (over) weight. Ice cream was also excellent, as always. My big disappointment was ordering Tokaji as an after dinner drink. Celebrity used to serve a very nice after dinner tokay...the one they are now serving is just a slightly sweet wine....not the Tokay that one expects after a meal. I actually asked the wine steward to show me the bottle...and yes, it is Tokaji, but a really inexpensive one, far from being worth $13 even with Celebrity markups and not a very sweet dessert Tokaji.

Specialty meal discounts of 30-40% were offered at various nights at Qsine, Lawn Grill and Tuscan Grill. Murano was fully booked...no deals.

Sushi bar was better than I expected....we had lunch there one day just for a change.

As always the coffee varied by restaurant, pot, server....sometimes very good, sometimes undrinkable. Coffee in the elite breakfast is better, but the best is in cafe baccio, as always. Also best pastries (free) there to eat with your pastries.

I really hope that celebrity reads my earlier post on elevator etiquette....the last day was horrific as folks insisted that they and their bags could fit in the full elevator, etc.

Our friends were celebrating their real anniversary during the cruise. They ordered a cake for the table ($29) which was incredibly good. Celebrity also threw in a bottle of their sparkling wine and rose petals on their bed at no additonal charge. Not sure if this is normal, but we were all happy....the cake was so large that the six of us could only eat half and we gave the rest to our serving staff to eat later (and they did....they invited their friends and apparently had a great time back in the crew area).

The grand finale closeout/liquidation sale on the last sea day was like Best Buy on black Friday....almost as bad as the first day at the buffet. I'm sure someone must have been trampled to death.

Edited by ghstudio

TO ALL THE COMPLAINERS- GET A LIFE!!! We just came back from Reflection today. I will give this a spin from a mid 30's perspective- Celebrity does a great job on basically every aspect that matters to ME: healthy food options, fitness, and long port days so that my husband and I can go and explore on our own!!! We never used an elevator ( there were many obese folks who should have used the stairs instead!!!), thought that it was quite depressing there was no modern music anywhere, but danced our butts off at the silent disco. And guess what ... we do not even drink!!! We were in Persian Gardens everyday, went diving in Bonaire, rented a car in Aruba- explored the whole island, the same in Curacao. The only complaint I have is this: the entertainment was geared towards people 55+ so I could not quite get the comedian's jokes or relate to the 60's and 70's music. But if you are active, want to explore, stay healthy and fit; I will always choose Celebrity to do just that. No yelling kids and plenty of salads is great for us!!! For all of you people who feel inclined to complain about such petty things as the type of olive in your martini, get a life!!! If I went through life looking to find fault in every single thing, I too would probably be miserable. The employees and staff of Celebrity cruises work their butts off to please us, yet for some it is not good enough...I seriously have not seen a harder working group of people in my life who bent over backwards to please us with a smile on their face the entire time. And this is coming from someone who has lived in 4 different countries and traveled to over 60! If your vacation is about getting enough alcohol in your body to get you through the cruise, maybe you should stay at home and drink??? Wow, I am glad I never met you on this cruise because we would definately have a heated discussion to say the least.... Have a good night every one and appreciate the beauty and the people around you instead of criticizing...

Sounds like another Carnival refugee who stepped up. Now they know it all. I can't wait to hear them berate 80 year old cruisers when they're 50 years old.

The OP has been sharing observations of change...some positive and some negative after having been on numerous Celebrity cruises. Congratulations on her first Celebrity cruise. Celebrity has been wanting to attract cruisers like her who don't know any better from how cruises used to be. Thus compared to Carnival, anything is a jump up even if Celebrity has made countless cutbacks..

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Sounds like another Carnival refugee who stepped up. Now they know it all. I can't wait to hear them berate 80 year old cruisers when they're 50 years old.

The OP has been sharing observations of change...some positive and some negative after having been on numerous Celebrity cruises. Congratulations on her first Celebrity cruise. Celebrity has been wanting to attract cruisers like her who don't know any better from how cruises used to be. Thus compared to Carnival, anything is a jump up even if Celebrity has made countless cutbacks..

Thank you for your response to the “get a life poster”. CC is a great way to share our experiences and opinions with others. Unfortunately some people feel the need to be rude to other posters when expressing their opinions.

The GET A LIFE poster (kloos) sounds like she was complaining herself ...... about the complainers. About people who took elevators, even though she didn't know WHY some of them did.

Most people who cruise Celebrity are, in fact, in their 50s and up, but never mind that, she thinks the jokes and music should be geared toward her.

Thank you for your response to the “get a life poster”. CC is a great way to share our experiences and opinions with others. Unfortunately some people feel the need to be rude to other posters when expressing their opinions.

:DAgree!

As far as the elevator - you can never tell by looking if someone has a disability.

Life has taught me not to judge by appearances.

Celebrity's whole marketing focus is directed to 2 demographics:

+ The high dollar suite cruiser who will spend any amount of money to stay there. The suite changes and the whole Edge program point to that.

+ The green-pea cruiser in the Millennial age group who has rarely or never cruised before and will, again, spend any amount of money and be "wowed" at things that many have changed for the worse in the last 5 years.

Maybe they are right. But there will be a big "oops" during the next economic downturn. Of course, if you believe many, that is never going to happen again.

I read that post...thought about replying and decided to just let it go. Everyone has a different perspective. New to Celebrity eyes see things differently than someone who's been on many celebrity cruises over the years....and Celebrity is trying to play to those new cruisers with some, but not necessarily megabucks who will spend freely on their one cruise a year and not care about how Celebrity implements Modern Luxury (which they never actually defined) :) I still don't know what Marco Polo had to do with taking a celebrity cruise.

I probably should take offense to the implication that I am only on the cruise to drink because I mention the olives and bloody mary garnishes....gosh...1 martini and I'm now labelled (by implication) an old drunk :). On the other hand, you meet some great people sitting at the bars, even if you only drink wine or club soda.

I've only lived in two countries and visited about 40 countries and all 50 US states and I'm almost ashamed to admit that I rode around Bonaire in a golf cart instead of a car....what do I know?

Agree! Other lines must really be really awful if newbies think Celebrity is tops in its class. Probably true, but no longer what it was..Poorly trained staff, cut backs, hawking extras, etc.

For us the experience on the ship itself is no longer the highlight of the cruise...Hoping EDGE changes that!

I read that post...thought about replying and decided to just let it go. Everyone has a different perspective. New to Celebrity eyes see things differently than someone who's been on many celebrity cruises over the years....and Celebrity is trying to play to those new cruisers with some, but not necessarily megabucks who will spend freely on their one cruise a year and not care about how Celebrity implements Modern Luxury (which they never actually defined) :) I still don't know what Marco Polo had to do with taking a celebrity cruise.

I probably should take offense to the implication that I am only on the cruise to drink because I mention the olives and bloody mary garnishes....gosh...1 martini and I'm now labelled (by implication) an old drunk :). On the other hand, you meet some great people sitting at the bars, even if you only drink wine or club soda.

I've only lived in two countries and visited about 40 countries and all 50 US states and I'm almost ashamed to admit that I rode around Bonaire in a golf cart instead of a car....what do I know?

Actually, I wondered where she got the idea that you only went on cruises to drink.

If that were true why would you care about niceties like garnishes? You'd only complain about the drinks being too small or too weak.

And I agree -we've met some of the NICEST people sitting next to them at a bar.

I have never been on a Carnival cruise...or used any other line other than Celebrity.I do not need to. This is my 4th Celebrity cruise. I am not a cruiser and this is not my preferred method of travel but when we do cruise; Celebrity suits me and my husband perfectly. Just an FYI. Have a great day!!!!

TO ALL THE COMPLAINERS- GET A LIFE!!! We just came back from Reflection today. I will give this a spin from a mid 30's perspective- Celebrity does a great job on basically every aspect that matters to ME: healthy food options, fitness, and long port days so that my husband and I can go and explore on our own!!! We never used an elevator ( there were many obese folks who should have used the stairs instead!!!), thought that it was quite depressing there was no modern music anywhere, but danced our butts off at the silent disco. And guess what ... we do not even drink!!! We were in Persian Gardens everyday, went diving in Bonaire, rented a car in Aruba- explored the whole island, the same in Curacao. The only complaint I have is this: the entertainment was geared towards people 55+ so I could not quite get the comedian's jokes or relate to the 60's and 70's music. But if you are active, want to explore, stay healthy and fit; I will always choose Celebrity to do just that. No yelling kids and plenty of salads is great for us!!! For all of you people who feel inclined to complain about such petty things as the type of olive in your martini, get a life!!! If I went through life looking to find fault in every single thing, I too would probably be miserable. The employees and staff of Celebrity cruises work their butts off to please us, yet for some it is not good enough...I seriously have not seen a harder working group of people in my life who bent over backwards to please us with a smile on their face the entire time. And this is coming from someone who has lived in 4 different countries and traveled to over 60! If your vacation is about getting enough alcohol in your body to get you through the cruise, maybe you should stay at home and drink??? Wow, I am glad I never met you on this cruise because we would definately have a heated discussion to say the least.... Have a good night every one and appreciate the beauty and the people around you instead of criticizing...

There ya go...

https://www.samaritans.org/

I have never been on a Carnival cruise...or used any other line other than Celebrity.I do not need to. This is my 4th Celebrity cruise. I am not a cruiser and this is not my preferred method of travel but when we do cruise; Celebrity suits me and my husband perfectly. Just an FYI. Have a great day!!!!

From your posts, Celebrity apparently doesn't quite fit right....too many obese folks who don't walk the stairs; not enough modern music; can't understand the entertainer's patter...and by inference, too many old people in general. I'm not sure why you feel, based on no other cruise experience, that Celebrity suits you and your husband perfectly. Just based on your interests, age, activities, I'd think you should at least try Royal Caribbean...and maybe Princess. After you've sailed on those, then you'll know whether or not Celebrity is your best fit...and I suspect that if you do this, you may well decide that while Celebrity does many things very well, RCL may just fit better. OTOH, you may like Celebrity even more.......

I do think it's a bit unfair to complain that some on this thread are complaining and not adoring everything Celebrity does...but then your post also complains about things that you think could be done differently. That's sort of hypocritical, isn't it?

With age you gain wisdom and experience. I wish I knew then at her age what I know now.

There was a comedian that uses that phase in part of his routine and it made a lot of sense.

What is it that I am supposed to know at 18. Please tell me what it is. Why do I have to wait until I get older to know what it is? Why keep it a secret?

I was on a cruise and the cabin attendant was talking to me in the hall about a problem in my cabin getting fixed by the crew. This young high maintenance female walked up and just butted in with a question about nothing interupting us. As they were walking away the male with her made a comment about it being very rude of her and she said “ I don’t care. I have more money than he does. (?????j. I felt like saying “Then you should use some to to buy some class.” But decided not to lower myself to her standards.

All of the problems today are because everything is about “ME”

Happy cruising 🌊🛳🇺🇸🌅

We are scheduled for our third Celebrity cruise and have sailed NCL once. My wife and I enjoy what this line has to offer as it is relaxing and very service oriented. Our pre-teen daughter also enjoys it as there aren't too many kids running around wild. My DD and I are both foodies and enjoy most of the offerings. We are fairly well-traveled and enjoy vacation for what it is. Time to relax! If I had the time and money then I would try RCL. But, I do my research on CC and know that Celebrity is where I want to be. Is it perfect?? No. We would like to see more enrichment programs as we enjoy when they do language classes and anything that is cultural. Experiencing different cultures be it through food or language or customs makes vacation that much more interesting. There are a lot of fee-based events but we avoid them when necessary. We enjoy the smoke-free atmosphere, somewhat older demographic and affluent clientele. Frayed furniture, rust on the balcony, families with kids are not deal breakers and don't make or break a vacation. When we feel the need for white-glove treatment then we will head to Azamara. For now, we will stick with a proven product. Apparently, I'm not in the minority as Celebrity is one of the highest rated Mass Market Lines on CC. They must be doing something right.

Celebrity's whole marketing focus is directed to 2 demographics:

+ The high dollar suite cruiser who will spend any amount of money to stay there. The suite changes and the whole Edge program point to that.

+ The green-pea cruiser in the Millennial age group who has rarely or never cruised before and will, again, spend any amount of money and be "wowed" at things that many have changed for the worse in the last 5 years.

Maybe they are right. But there will be a big "oops" during the next economic downturn. Of course, if you believe many, that is never going to happen again.

Suite class certainly. Millennials, I have to disagree. I've seen people saying they're aiming at the millennial market but how many do you see onboard? We're both aged 42 and only ever see a handful of people younger than us.

Celebrity marketing and promotional material always shows people considerably younger than those found onboard. So are they being disingenuous? Or is their marketing dept just doing a lousy job of attracting millennials who seem to flock to Royal Caribbean and Carnival~?