Passport ... Hot Topic

CruiseGal999

That's fine. I don't think the issue with passports is solely driven by $$$ and vacation funds/budgeting. THAT's why I asked the question.

I do think budget is a big factor. Do I want to spend close to $1000 on something that isn’t necessary and might not be used again?

It’s actually not that difficult to understand. Proportionally, among cruisers, very very few end up needing to fly internationally unexpectedly and very very few take the wrong kind of BC. It’s not a huge chance/risk. I have a passport and trouble imagining why it would need to return home unexpectedly. We plan ahead to have plenty of buffer time returning to the ship. I don’t have kids at home. I have a small family and there’s really no reason why they would want me to return mid trip. If it’s a medical evacuation I feel like the passport issue will be a less pressing concern. I simply use my passport because I do fly internationally so need one and I prefer taking that than a BC since I have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I follow NextDoor (a neighborhood social network) to see what is going on in my neighborhood. Two years ago a house several blocks away caught fire and burned down. There was a lot of discussion about that event, especially that the family that lived there wasn't able to survey the damage for days because they were on a cruise to the Caribbean at the time. None of them had passports, so they couldn't fly home from any of the ports. Even though they had an emergency at home requiring immediate attention, it was days before they could leave the ship and fly home.

I can only imagine how stressed out they were, stuck on the ship and not able to get back home to take care of their horrible situation until the arrived back to the US mainland days later. We only found out about all of this through nearby neighbors reporting their situation on NextDoor, so I do admit all of the information we received about their situation was third hand. I never did read anything posted by the family.

I follow NextDoor (a neighborhood social network) to see what is going on in my neighborhood. Two years ago a house several blocks away caught fire and burned down. There was a lot of discussion about that event, especially that the family that lived there wasn't able to survey the damage for days. They were on a cruise to the Caribbean at the time. None of them had passports, so they couldn't fly home from any of the ports. Even though they had an emergency at home requiring immediate attention, it was days before they could leave the ship and fly home.

I can only imagine how stressed out they were, stuck on the ship and not able to get back home to take care of their horrible situation until the arrived back to the US mainland days later. We only found out about all of this through nearby neighbors reporting their situation on NextDoor, so I do admit all of the information we received about their situation was third hand. I never did read anything posted by the family.

I don’t see how coming home from vacation early would be beneficial to fixing a burned down house. Insurance adjusters can be called and can make arrangements for where to stay when you get back. We have relatives in the area that could collect the few valuables we have.

We had some serious damage from a storm a few years ago, I was actually out of town at the time while my bf was Home. A week later when I got back the damage was still sitting there, nothing I could have done coming back early.

I know you are going to say that it’s just an example and I’m being difficult just to be difficult. And I may be to some degree. But everyone has different situations and tolerance for risk. I don’t insure my trips because I find my likelihood of having to cancel or interrupt my trip not high enough to be worth the cost of insurance. I see posts on these forums often of people that need to cancel at the last minute and don’t have insurance. And almost always when I read their situation, my thought is... well, I personally wouldn’t cancel over that. ‘Family member is close to death’.... my family members wouldn’t want me to cancel over that; ‘family member just diagnosed with cancer’.... my family members wouldn’t want me to cancel over that; ‘I was just diagnosed with cancer’.... obviously that’s a decision to be made with my doctor but if I can physically withstand the trip I want to live every day that I have; ‘something came up at work that I can’t miss’... my job has contractual guarantees on vacation time.... etc etc.

Point being everyone has individual situations and what’s right for you isn’t necessarily what’s right for someone else. So something you might perceive as a huge risk, won’t necessarily be perceived that way by someone in a different situation.

Edited by sanger727

It’s actually not that difficult to understand. Proportionally, among cruisers, very very few end up needing to fly internationally unexpectedly and very very few take the wrong kind of BC. It’s not a huge chance/risk. I have a passport and trouble imagining why it would need to return home unexpectedly. We plan ahead to have plenty of buffer time returning to the ship. I don’t have kids at home. I have a small family and there’s really no reason why they would want me to return mid trip. If it’s a medical evacuation I feel like the passport issue will be a less pressing concern. I simply use my passport because I do fly internationally so need one and I prefer taking that than a BC since I have one.

I am curious how you know 'proporrionatly how many cruisers................? All my time on so many ships, I would not try to guess percentages.

I am curious how you know 'proporrionatly how many cruisers................? All my time on so many ships, I would not try to guess percentages.

Well, because when I get on the ship, there’s a lot of people there. And throughout the cruise there’s a lot of people there. And when I get off the cruise, there’s still a lot of people there. Telling me a vast majority of people on that cruise did not fly home early.

Well, because when I get on the ship, there’s a lot of people there. And throughout the cruise there’s a lot of people there. And when I get off the cruise, there’s still a lot of people there. Telling me a vast majority of people on that cruise did not fly home early.

:D Thank you for responding. :)

WHY are questions regarding Passports, getting one/renewing it/bringing it or leaving it at home, create such hostility? Whenever a person starts a thread about passports ... it gets as heated as a gratuity/tipping thread!

Exactly, what is the opposition of obtaining/ maintaining and traveling WITH a passport?

Like many Europeans, I consider a passport essential and have had one pretty much since birth. I adore cruises but love travel in general. If I was a US citizen and cruise lover I would still have a passport so I could see the world.

They cost a bit but last a decade...money well spent.

I am never mean about it but I genuinely don't understand why people don't want to leave their country every once in a while....its super fun. Even if you have been cruising for a bit on closed loop cruises from FL surely you would want more exotic open cruises or even just a trip to South America for a holiday?

How do you know that they weren't still there because they didn't have a passport to be able to depart early. :)

I genuinely don't understand why people don't want to leave their country every once in a while....its super fun. Even if you have been cruising for a bit on closed loop cruises from FL surely you would want more exotic open cruises or even just a trip to South America for a holiday?

It took me years of reading Cruise Critic to realize that a lot of cruisers aren't really "travelers" in the sense of wanting to see new places. Some are simply "vacationers" -- looking to have a good time onboard ship and maybe visit a nice beach or two. Locations aren't super important to the latter group.

As a "traveler" it was a revelation that not everyone has the same passion for going new places that I do.

I've held a valid passport ever since I started working. Being ever the optimist, I felt if I ever won the lottery, I was going to hop on a plane and take off to parts unknown, and knew I'd need a passport if I wanted to travel. When our son came along, we made sure to have one for him well, because we wanted to be able to travel with him, rather than leaving him behind. The cost of passports has increased over the years, but it's part of the cost of travel. Now that we have 10 year passports, it's a travel bargain that works out to $16 per year.

BTW, I'm still waiting for that lottery win . . .

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

This is exactly how we look at it. It’s a relatively minor expense when spread out over 10 years. We just did our application this morning for the three year old, and I can’t wait until he gets his first stamp in it next summer. [emoji4]

I haven't expressed hostility in any of my posts. I have expressed curiosity and confusion. I, personally, don't understand why people don't travel with a passport. That is all. I don't understand it and I'm asking why they DO travel without a passport. To ME ... personally ... it's too big of a chance/risk to travel without a passport.

I don’t think you’re hostile, I actually respect that opinion. I tried to present another side. I think it’s genuinely a $$$/convenience thing. There is a (slight) risk. Depends on risk tolerance, sounds like we have different ones. This applies in many facets of life (for example, my wife and I were entrepreneurs for many years, many others I know could not have handled the risk, no big deal). That plays into it. No big deal.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it is an American thing.

Americans seem to have a great aversion to passports. Most people in other countries have passports. And carry them with them most of the time.

But then again, you find MANY Americans who have never been out of the country, and never will. Less so in other countries (if no other reason, their countries are smaller :D ).

Yes, being an American I have always found it thrilling to travel from one COUNTRY to a different COUNTRY .... like we cross state lines.

And you said it perfectly ... it seems to be an aversion to obtaining a passport. THAT is the crux of the issue.

Yes, being an American I have always found it thrilling to travel from one COUNTRY to a different COUNTRY .... like we cross state lines.

And you said it perfectly ... it seems to be an aversion to obtaining a passport. THAT is the crux of the issue.

So you reject the answers given by people who travel without passports and why they chose to do so. Well, we tried to explain it and if you don't want to accept it so be it. Fact still remains that everyone's travel patterns and needs are different.

It took me years of reading Cruise Critic to realize that a lot of cruisers aren't really "travelers" in the sense of wanting to see new places. Some are simply "vacationers" -- looking to have a good time onboard ship and maybe visit a nice beach or two. Locations aren't super important to the latter group.

As a "traveler" it was a revelation that not everyone has the same passion for going new places that I do.

I agree completely. The same people who want those in port to meet their standards of dress, behavior, and expect everyone to speak American English.

They want to see blue water, maybe have a boat drink, and hurry back to the ship for the buffet.

Do whatever is right for you, but know that there may be a time you regret not having a passport.

I do think budget is a big factor. Do I want to spend close to $1000 on something that isn’t necessary and might not be used again?

How much do U.S. Passports cost? $1,000???:eek:

I just renewed my Canadian Passport for 10 years and I think it cost me $160 CDN.(120ish USD) Add in $20 bucks for the photos and its about $USD 140. Nexus costs me $50 USD for 5 years. So all in that's about USD$24 per year - or about two drinks on many cruise lines.

Edited by DirtyDawg

I just renewed my Canadian Passport for 10 years and I think it cost me $160 CDN.(120ish USD) Add id $20 bucks for the photos and its about $USD 140. Nexus costs me $50 USD for 5 years.

It adds up. As I said in an earlier post passports for my family would have been about $850 for a 4 day cruise that cost around $1200 (and 3 of those passports would have only been valid for 5 years). Didn't see the sense in spending that much money under the circumstances.

I agree completely. The same people who want those in port to meet their standards of dress, behavior, and expect everyone to speak American English.

They want to see blue water, maybe have a boat drink, and hurry back to the ship for the buffet.

Do whatever is right for you, but know that there may be a time you regret not having a passport.

The risk for many is very small and as long as they are willing to accept that risk who is to say different?

So you reject the answers given by people who travel without passports and why they chose to do so. Well, we tried to explain it and if you don't want to accept it so be it. Fact still remains that everyone's travel patterns and needs are different.

I don't reject anything said here ... I was only agreeing with that poster. Oh well .... :*

I just renewed my Canadian Passport for 10 years and I think it cost me $160 CDN.(120ish USD) Add in $20 bucks for the photos and its about $USD 140. Nexus costs me $50 USD for 5 years. So all in that's about USD$24 per year - or about two drinks on many cruise lines.

It may only be US$24/year for you. For someone who has never left the country and is cruising for the first time, the cost is over US$110 + photo. A lot more than a pricey drink or two,.For those on a budget it can represent more than 10% of their vacation cost. For what benefit? Near as I can figure out, the potential elimination of a few hours of bureaucratic hassles is the only benefit.

It adds up. As I said in an earlier post passports for my family would have been about $850 for a 4 day cruise that cost around $1200 (and 3 of those passports would have only been valid for 5 years). Didn't see the sense in spending that much money under the circumstances.

What is it per person?

Never mind, I Googled it.

Jeez with all the hubub I thought you guys paid a lot. Spend the money or not, who cares.

Edited by DirtyDawg

I don't reject anything said here ... I was only agreeing with that poster. Oh well .... :*

If you say so, but "it seems to be an aversion to obtaining a passport. THAT is the crux of the issue" seems an awfully lot like you reject anything that contradicts those statements.

This is a great way of stating this. I guess I'm a traveller. Was instilled in me when I was young ... my parents would travel over my school vacations and foist me on to other family members to 'babysit' me. Thus began my nomad/travel bug.

It may only be US$24/year for you. For someone who has never left the country and is cruising for the first time, the cost is over US$110 + photo. A lot more than a pricey drink or two,.For those on a budget it can represent more than 10% of their vacation cost. For what benefit? Near as I can figure out, the potential elimination of a few hours of bureaucratic hassles is the only benefit.

Sorry but that's just naïve. Unless there's an open US consulate down the block from where you're standing when you are confronted with the need to obtain a passport in a foreign land, you are talking about far more than a few hours of bureaucratic hassles. It could easily mean more than a day (far more than that in truly remote locations and/or weekend/holiday periods) before you connect with someone. So, plan for hotel, meals, transport, possibility of getting stuck with higher airfare, etc.

BTW, the percent of vacation cost is actually the percent of any and all international travel over a ten year period (5 years for little kids).