New menu in the main dining room?

snoope

Thank you. But those are from summer 17, the new menus in this thread are from late 2017/early 2018 I guess. I don’t know if those menus have been brought to Anthem as well by early 2018? [emoji5]

That’s why I am asking, I heard mixed information on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try asking on one of the recent Anthem roll calls. I find that a good way to get current info

RCI is planning on 3 dinner seatings.

I think they would need to extend hours as well. They could alleviate some of the pressure, potentially, by adding an hour to opening and closing times in the Windjammer too.

First time cruiser here on Ovation in May 2018. Just curious. I know you can order any number of items on starters and desserts but am just curious for long time cruisers eating on MDR how many appetizers and deserts do you order when you have dinner on MDRs?

First time cruiser here on Ovation in May 2018. Just curious. I know you can order any number of items on starters and desserts but am just curious for long time cruisers eating on MDR how many appetizers and deserts do you order when you have dinner on MDRs?

Just one or two appetizers, zero or one dessert.

Lol- I have been known to order 2-3 apps, and a cheese plate. Yep, that’s pretty much my standard order :)

Sorry, I thought that thread was more recent. I've not seen anything more recent than last September.

Okay, no problem, thank you nevertheless. [emoji5]

On beyondships.com I spotted Anthem menus from 02/2018 or so, they were the same as the ones you provided me from the summer 2017 review, so they still seem to be the latest ones.

However it could be that the menus will be adjusted on Anthem as well sooner or later.

How is the lunch menu? The same EVERY day at sea? Or do they change?

On Anthem in fall 2018 I think we have 4 days at sea. Would be nice to have more variety...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

We just got back from sailing on the Majesty of the Seas and found out that RCCL has changed its dining room menus. After doing a transatlantic cruise on the Jewel of the Seas this past November, we decided that we were going to stick with RCCL from then on because we loved the dining room food and entertainment that is offered. Then we sailed on the Majesty of the Seas:(.

When we went to eat dinner in the main dining room the first night on the Majesty, we were surprised to see the different menu and thought that it might be specific to the ship or that it might be because it was only a 4 day cruise. On the third day, we finally asked about the menu and were disappointed to find out that RCCL has changed the menus on all of its ships. We absolutely loved the old menus and are completely unhappy with this newly condensed version that pretty much eliminated most of my favorite dishes.

The new menu adds a couple more permanent choices, but only rotates 2 items in each category. So 2 new appetizers, 2 new main courses, and 2 new desserts each day. The lady that we spoke to advised that they chose the best of the best of each category, but I completely disagree as I ended up eating the same appetizer and dessert every night because the rotating choices were not to my liking. The biggest disappointment was the removal of the cold fruit soups, which is one of the menu items that I absolutely loved and looked forward to each cruise. The rotating dessert choices were just as bad, with only one regular rotating dessert choice and one sugar free rotating dessert choice, I ended up ordering the strawberry cheesecake every night.

We dealt with the new menu being that it was only a 4 day cruise, but we were planning on doing a 16 night cruise in November and are seriously regretting and possibly reconsidering going with another cruise line moving forward. We do not want to use the specialty dining options and the food in the windjammer is so bad that eating there is not an option either.

I'm not sure why RCCL decided to change their menus, whether it is to force their passengers to use the specialty restaurants and spend more money or make it easier on the cooking staff, but it is definitely a huge loss for the passengers that actually enjoyed eating in the dining room. I certainly did not enjoy eating the same things everyday on a short cruise and can't imagine eating the same things everyday on a long cruise. Very disappointing.

Wealso were very disappointed with the 'new' menus. We were on Jewel in Europeand food in the dining room was way below our expectation. We took the sameship back in December of 2017 (Caribbean) and food was much better back then.On another hand we found windjammer food to be very good on the latest trip.

Weonly eat in the dining room 4 night so maybe we just got very unlucky with ourfood choices.

Examples:

1. I tryed to order meat twice, both times medium. First time my steak was so over donethat reminded me the shoe leather. The second time it was completely row on theinside.

2. Salmonwas dry and tasteless.

3. Servicetook over 2.5 hours on some night resulting in inconsistent food temperature.

4. Fryfood was extremely over fried to the point that you could not determine whatyou are eating.

I wonder if you've seen the Netflix show about the Oasis kitchens? As soon as I saw that, I understood why they had to streamline the menus. The logistics of cooking and storing everything for so many thousand people is mind boggling. They've got to simplify somewhere, and as it seems the ships won't be getting any smaller anytime soon, the menus are where they went.

me too

They didn't add any new dishes, they just removed a bunch. You actually end up with way less choices than before. So if by looking for change you mean having less choices of the same items listed on the old menus, then you'll be quite happy.

They didn't add any new dishes, they just removed a bunch. You actually end up with way less choices than before. So if by looking for change you mean having less choices of the same items listed on the old menus, then you'll be quite happy.

Yep- was on a cruise last month, and that was my observation. The food was good, but now I’m kind of bored with it. Looking forward to ultimate dining pkg on SOS :)

I wonder if you've seen the Netflix show about the Oasis kitchens? As soon as I saw that, I understood why they had to streamline the menus. The logistics of cooking and storing everything for so many thousand people is mind boggling. They've got to simplify somewhere, and as it seems the ships won't be getting any smaller anytime soon, the menus are where they went.

What was the name of the show? Would love to see it!!

They didn't add anything new, they just removed things.

I didn’t say it was better, simply that some folks wanted a change. You will find plenty of threads/posts of folks complaining about the old menus. Be careful what you wish for.

Biker, who doesn’t really care about the menu because he realizes that the nature of mass market cruise ship dining is limited (in the MDR).