Severe Trojan virus

BoDidly

More than likely this is an issue on your windows machine and not one from Cruise Critic. Not to downplay your report, if you can provide details on how you believe this happened while you were on Cruise Critic, then I can investigate fully.

Laura

You should check with vb. They have been known to be vulnerable, especially with the version you run here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I never said Macs were free from attack, just that I've not had any issues with malware since I switched. I practice good internet hygiene, have 2 factor authentication enabled everywhere I can, etc., so to be honest I never had any malware on Windows either. Switching to a Mac just made me feel better about not having to run an Antivirus, among other benefits.

Adblock Plus is invaluable, and free.

I typically discourage ad blockers since they rob websites of ad revenue, but when a site uses ad providers that allow malicious advertisers through they get a big fat "block" in my browser too and I have no qualms about doing it.

Thanks for your understanding. I'm not computer savvy enough to give all the correct answers. What I do know is windows defender only gave notices when I visited this site. A screen would flash over cruise critic with warnings of a virus attack warning. It only happen when visiting this site. I now have run the Microsoft software for six hours with no results or signs of it finishing the removal. I'm not one to call wolf so thanks for letting this warning stand. I have received a warning from an ad on my old phone as the other poster mention. I must have ticked someone off pretty good. :D . I'll fight it for awhile before I just redo that machine. :(

I'm not computer savvy enough either, but this has happened to me in the past as well (screen flashing with warnings of virus attack while on CC). I also had our Norton antivirus pop up once while on CC letting me know that an attack was blocked. Like Host Laura said, it could have been an infected link in a post (or thread) I was reading, but I have no clue. The only thing I know for sure NOT to do is click on anything that pops up like that. Both times, I've gotten out of CC, shut everything down, then restarted the computer. I'm also sure to tell my husband about it and he'll run the antivirus to make sure nothing is there. He's also no computer expert but definitely knows a lot more than I do. :D

Adblock Plus is invaluable, and free.

Adblock Plus is good, but uBlock Origin is better especially with site that use Adblock blockers. I didn't even realized cruise critic form had Ads until I looked at it on someone else computer. uBlock Origin uses community based list so when FB or Media sites uses some new Adblock detector it can usually get around it within hours.

Well I had to nuke the damn thing. Tried everything ,even bought Norton and still it was popping back up with the warning over and over. First time experience with Windows Ten restat. Much better than the old days with the formats and reinstall. Built quite a few machines back when. Lots of fun ,bunch of headaches ;p. You can believe after all this reinstalled software gets done , my eyes will be more attentive for virus on this site.