Cruising Snobbery

e3g

Since the cruise lines implemented class segmentation, I have found, both on CC and on the ships, a level of snobbishness and entitlement from some people (not all) particularly in the "suite class". Whether by word in conversations "how was your dinner in the MDR" or by deed, at the Guest Relations desk "can you please keep non suite people out of our lounge", some "suite class" passengers seem to exude arrogance.

We no longer cruise Celebrity for many reasons, but Celebrity's overt fawning over the "suite class" I believe has created an atmosphere on board their ships that truly separates guests.

Versus the original design of cruising, where everyone mingled and ate in all venues, today's cruise design is focused on separating people geographically and by experience. This I believe reducess the atmosphere of being "together" on the voyage. The separation provides opportunity to compare and contrast between guests.

... analysis does not apply to most cruising guests, but I have seen and experienced "status snobbery" over time aligned with the design changes in cruising.

Interesting observations. I guess we've all become so homogeneous that paying for an upscale experience, especially in the presence of downscale consumers, is how we grasp some sense of individuality. And some cruise lines naturally take advantage of it.

Perhaps this is an area of divide for older vs younger cruisers? I find those in my generation and also the one behind mine tend to blend work and life together. There is not a "defined" 8-5 work day. Sometimes I am working at 9:00 pm at night on a Friday, and sometimes I am off on a Tuesday morning. I check work emails on vacation. There's not any real disconnect...

Along the same vein, there's not a disconnect between who I am and what I do. I also think that's more common in younger professionals. I do what I do for a living because of my innate skills and talents, because I enjoy it, and because I feel I am contributing something.

It's a shame that anyone should feel they are being judged on or should be embarrassed by any honest job. Now if you're in the mob or you've made your stash by writing illegal scrips for oxycontin, that's different. ;p

I do agree that this whole question of snobbery and what-have-you depends on context and on having the skill set to sense when conversation is drifting into areas where others are uncomfortable. Unfortunately, the only way I know of to learn those skills is to practice them, and it seems most people don't want to engage in polite conversation, chit-chat, banter, etc.

I think we need to bring banter back. Let's all go watch "An Affair to Remember" to see how shipboard banter should look.... ;)

Yes !

Casual conversation - be it "small talk", sharing experiences ( which generally might include those involved in your job: either professional, commercial, trade, construction - whatever) is part of what could be the experience of travel.

What you are and what you know and think is largely a product of how you have spent your time - it is nothing to be ashamed of or to brag about - but it is undeniably a part of what you bring to your interactions with others.

To automatically refuse to share any aspects of what you are does seriously limit your interaction with others. And much of the real value of travel is beyond simply moving from one place to another and looking at things : it is interaction with others - which shipboard travel offers better than virtually any other activity.

Why waste such a great opportunity?

Yes !

Casual conversation - be it "small talk", sharing experiences ( which generally might include those involved in your job: either professional, commercial, trade, construction - whatever) is part of what could be the experience of travel.

What you are and what you know and think is largely a product of how you have spent your time - it is nothing to be ashamed of or to brag about - but it is undeniably a part of what you bring to your interactions with others.

To automatically refuse to share any aspects of what you are does seriously limit your interaction with others. And much of the real value of travel is beyond simply moving from one place to another and looking at things : it is interaction with others - which shipboard travel offers better than virtually any other activity.

Why waste such a great opportunity?

Because some people feel differently than you do. I really don't want to hear about what others do for work, I want to know how they like to spend their time. For many people those are two very different things. I think it's up to the individual to decide what they what to share with strangers!

Am I wrong in thinking your comment was less than kind to a certain segment of society? :confused: Just because a person has a blue collar job does not make them low class......just sayin'.....

I have been blue collar most of my life. Guess I needed to be put in my place and I promise not to approach my superiors on board.

Wait, does that make me a reverse snob? I guess I just can't win no matter what.

Because some people feel differently than you do. I really don't want to hear about what others do for work, I want to know how they like to spend their time. For many people those are two very different things. I think it's up to the individual to decide what they what to share with strangers!

For many people "how they spend their time" is at least partly about their work - which for many people constitutes close to half of their waking hours - as well as being a major contributor to their general knowledge.

Of course no one wants to listen -or to talk - solely about work - but to bend over backwards to avoid mentioning it - or to resist hearing about someone else's interests - including at least a bit of how they spend their time - is kind of isolating.

Of course what people share with strangers is their choice -- but to carefully avoid discussing what one does is a pretty good way of insuring that every person one meets remains a stranger.

Interesting, we have almost always been asked about our cabin. Most of the time it's simple curiosity or just making conversation, but we've also gotten the "you're in a balcony? Well, we're in a suite." Oh, "you're in a suite? We're in the (bigger) suite" ...

We've also heard many, many people bragging about their status, or trying to use their status to get to the head of the line, or whatever it is ...

I can think of many more instances ...

As someone said earlier in this thread, it's not necessarily what's being discussed, it's the way it's being discussed.

I have been blue collar most of my life. Guess I needed to be put in my place and I promise not to approach my superiors on board.

Wait, does that make me a reverse snob? I guess I just can't win no matter what.

Please don't feel that way...be proud my friend! Don't let some of these stuck-up snobby people get to you!

Look at it this way....you are gainfully employed and many others (white collar and others) possibly are not!

Enjoy your cruising travels!:)

Interesting, we have almost always been asked about our cabin. Most of the time it's simple curiosity or just making conversation, but we've also gotten the "you're in a balcony? Well, we're in a suite." Oh, "you're in a suite? We're in the (bigger) suite" ...

We've also heard many, many people bragging about their status, or trying to use their status to get to the head of the line, or whatever it is ...

I can think of many more instances ...

As someone said earlier in this thread, it's not necessarily what's being discussed, it's the way it's being discussed.

On a HAL ship?

For many people "how they spend their time" is at least partly about their work - which for many people constitutes close to half of their waking hours - as well as being a major contributor to their general knowledge.

Of course no one wants to listen -or to talk - solely about work - but to bend over backwards to avoid mentioning it - or to resist hearing about someone else's interests - including at least a bit of how they spend their time - is kind of isolating.

Of course what people share with strangers is their choice -- but to carefully avoid discussing what one does is a pretty good way of insuring that every person one meets remains a stranger.

This sounds more about your needs being met than someone else's. There are numerous ways to be sociable.

Yes, since about 2013, I have noticed a discernable increase in "status snobbery" while cruising Celebrity (by far the most), Princess and HAL.

Since the cruise lines implemented class segmentation, I have found, both on CC and on the ships, a level of snobbishness and entitlement from some people (not all) particularly in the "suite class". Whether by word in conversations "how was your dinner in the MDR" or by deed, at the Guest Relations desk "can you please keep non suite people out of our lounge", some "suite class" passengers seem to exude arrogance.

Such are my experiences, others will have different experiences.

You may consider this statement to be "snobbish" or "entitled" but if I've paid for an lounge (ie, Neptune) that is supposedly reserved for suite passengers, then it is indeed a valid complaint if non-suite passengers are allowed to use it. For example, there have been numerous posts asking essentially the same question: we're in a neptune suite and we're cruising with an extended family not in suites, why can't they join us for breakfast in the PG?

Unfortunately, the way the cruise “hierarchy” is set up promotes a sense of elitism and snobbery. Those paying considerably more to stay in suites are provided, understandably, with perks. If one desired to cruise in a more “egalitarian” manner than I suppose all cabins would have to be created equally. This new concept of a luxury ship within a ship, (The Haven or The Yacht Club, for examples) seems to reinforce this elitist attitude.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Still, conversation remains the primary way to "be sociable"; and bending over backwards to avoid normal topics certainly limits conversation.

I don't think it's a matter of bending over backwards. Subtle deflection works well.

If I told you I was a housewife, that would certainly limit the conversation. What more is there to say?

Please don't feel that way...be proud my friend! Don't let some of these stuck-up snobby people get to you!

Look at it this way....you are gainfully employed and many others (white collar and others) possibly are not!

Enjoy your cruising travels!:)

No worries. I am not at all shamed by the snobby remarks. I never hesitated telling people what I do if they asked. In fact, I always thought the whole idea that anyone from any walk of life could enjoy cruising is pretty cool.

You may consider this statement to be "snobbish" or "entitled" but if I've paid for an lounge (ie, Neptune) that is supposedly reserved for suite passengers, then it is indeed a valid complaint if non-suite passengers are allowed to use it.

Good example of how some here may be a little too quick to decide that a stranger's guilty of snobbery. Suite cruising was a one-time experience for me, but if I ever did pay for it again, I would appreciate having it limited to just those who also paid, as I'd prefer the peace of a less crowded room.

This sounds more about your needs being met than someone else's. There are numerous ways to be sociable.

I don't think it's a matter of bending over backwards. Subtle deflection works well.

If I told you I was a housewife, that would certainly limit the conversation. What more is there to say?

(y)(y)

I agree. I don't feel that I am bending over backwards not discussing politics or religion, so how not discussing someone's choice of a job be construed as bending over backwards?

It's clear from some posts that some people simply don't care that the question is deemed as intrusive and offensive by others. They intend to keep asking it anyway. I am pretty sure also that should they receive the, "I don't wish to discuss that" response, they will wonder what is that guy's/gal's problem and not wonder if they asked an inappropriate question.