Cruising Snobbery

e3g

I want to be sure I am understsanding. Lest we b called even more names than some are now, we should be careful to not come here and commmentt about what we like an what we don't like. If we don' care f for-pre made sandwiches, we now are SNOBS. WHO MADE THAT directive? We are not to express opinions h ere, now? Whatt is on the approved as okay list? Is it okay to talk about the weather or is that now on the too controversial list?

Don't you realize that if you express a preference for sunny weather or blue skies, or even a clear starry night -- especially in connection with a garden, or an uncrowded beach, or even an attractive part of a city - -you are exuding elitism?

"Weather" is often just the first step onto the slippery slope of snobbery. Announcing a "preference" is just a coded sneer aimed at those who haven't one.

Context matters. We were on a cruise where we had some significant listing during a storm. Some people had some balcony leaks, while others had things flying about. Many people were asking about location of cabins and what deck cabins were on. It had nothing to do with being a snob.

... must be a subscriber to the Ignorance-Is-Bliss Club!!!

Because I wish to not discuss politics with strangers and new friends, I'm ignorant?? Geeze. I thought this was supposed to be a friendly, helpful board.

I guess not. :(

I'm VERY politically involved and always have been. But I've also followed the well-known etiquette rule of avoiding conversations about politics and religion at parties and gatherings.

Because I wish to not discuss politics with strangers and new friends, I'm ignorant?? Geeze. I thought this was supposed to be a friendly, helpful board.

I guess not. :(

I'm VERY politically involved and always have been. But I've also followed the well-known etiquette rule of avoiding conversations about politics and religion at parties and gatherings.

You may find that using the Ignore function makes this board more pleasant ;) It is in the User CP (Control Panel). You can add the names of people whose posts you don't want to read. I find it helpful.

edited to add: I agree, I don't want to listen to political discussions in a social setting.

You may find that using the Ignore function makes this board more pleasant ;) It is in the User CP (Control Panel). You can add the names of people whose posts you don't want to read. I find it helpful.

edited to add: I agree, I don't want to listen to political discussions in a social setting.

I second the suggestion of the ignore option - it puts certain posters where they should be - invisible and ignored.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

What you feel is the effect of reverse snobbery: as displayed by a fair number of posters who want to show that they are somehow better, because they are less snobbish, than others.

If there was true humility :) or modesty. evident to the reader.

NOooooooooo! Please, no politics conversations! Especially after this last election. I really want to enjoy my cruise. I hope NO ONE I run into discusses politics.

Yeah, my mom loves to talk politics. She always wants to convince the other person that they are wrong (even on a cruise ship). I have long learned that it is rarely worth it to try to do so.

We have never been asked our cabin number, but we have been asked, while waiting to board, what deck we were on. And I have noticed while waiting to board lots of people check out your luggage tags where the cabin number is prominently displayed.

Yes, the world and these threads are full of lots of snobbery. All you have to do is wait and it will be on full display in a dress code thread. I find the absolute worst offenders are those who like to throw out their cruise history. Experience is great. Yet many forget that experience is also affected by our perceptions and beliefs. Memories of our experiences are often unreliable, yet many want us to believe that their history some how makes them an expert.

FWIW: I don't know if there is more snark on the boards - just the same posters displaying the same snark.

It occurs to me that people looking at your luggage tags to see your cabin # while checking in .... could be assessing you for possible theft. If you are well put together, have some jewelry on, a nice watch, etc. YES ... I am VERY cynical ... born & raised in Boston and was taught to trust no one, cya in every situation, etc.

"Weather" is often just the first step onto the slippery slope of snobbery. Announcing a "preference" is just a coded sneer aimed at those who haven't one.

I actually believe this. By having a preference, you are essentially discriminating against something. For example, if you say "I don't eat in the Lido" then you are explicitly discriminating against the Lido. You could also be offending those who eat in the Lido. You could also be attacking those who eat in the Lido and wish to change their behavior. Intent is hard to judge on-line and in life.

Don't you realize that if you express a preference for sunny weather or blue skies, or even a clear starry night -- especially in connection with a garden, or an uncrowded beach, or even an attractive part of a city - -you are exuding elitism?

Cruise Critic is the ultimate slippery slope .... :')

I confess: when we started cruising we always had Oceanview cabins. A couple of times at dinner I did ask others at the table if anyone had a balcony. I wanted to know more about cabins with balconies. I feel as though I made a faux pas, after reading this thread :(

Haw, you were just asking who had the balcony so you would know where to move the "party" to!:p

It occurs to me that people looking at your luggage tags to see your cabin # while checking in ....

Of course, I have to ask...unless that person says something, how in the world does one know their luggage tag is actually what they're looking at and more specifically, the room number?

Then again, never mind. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the notion that it's wrong to ask someone what they do. I'm sure the looking at the luggage tag thing will be lost on me as well.

In all of our years of cruising, we have never been asked what type of cabin we had. I would not mind, however, if someone did ask. I have to have a balcony because I am claustrophobic. But I have always said that the smartest passengers on the ship are the ones who cruise in inside cabins. Except for suite amenities and a concierge, etc. passengers in inside cabins get what everyone else gets ... they Use the same common areas, dine in the same restaurants, visit the same ports, see the same Shows, go on the same shore excursions, etc. as people who shell out big bucks for suites. They can go on how many more cruises than someone who pays for a Neptune suite and gets a little bit more real estate?

Also, when someone asks what I do or what my husband does for a living, I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are asking to learn more about us in a favorable way or to use it as an icebreaker. I’m not so paranoid that I think everyone (or anyone) is judging me.

As for snobbery on CC, yes, I’ll admit that I’m tired of hearing how many Days someone has or how they don’t need more days or how many stars they have.

If you have valuable

Information, relevant information, current information, well, I don’t care how many cruises you have been on, just share your experience that is relevant to the thread.

Others may disagree with me but YMMV! 😀

I think we really need to rid ourselves of the reverse snobism problem. I propose we ban all "Bass Pro shop" types until they are ready and willing to acknowledge our obvious superiority!

I shop Cabelas and that means I'm much more sophisticated than "Bass Pro Shop Types". (Actually, Cabelas is a much closer drive.)

As in the past, I turn to Cruise Critic for research before selecting a cruise. There is so much more snobbery and snarkyness (is that a word) than in the past that it amazes me. Maybe it is a sign of the times. Have others noticed this?

I was prompted to write this after reading the "I'm So Over Half Moon Cay" thread.

Just read this thread if you want a demonstration of snarkiness (sp?) ... all the proof needed, provided by most of the regular snarkers (is that a word?)

Our first cruise was in 1998 on the Carnival Elation. We were lucky to have a couple from Kansas at our table for 8. They were on their 5th cruise and shared their experience and knowledge with us. One of the things the husband shared that I never forgot was how creative your tablemates get when trying to find out the category and general location of your stateroom/cabin.

We are doing our 7th cruise in Jan, 2018 on the Eurodam (first HAL cruise).

On each of our subsequent cruises, that has always come up at dinner. The longest it took was on the Celebrity Summit. It took 3 dinners.

Our last cruise was to Alaska on the Princess Diamond in 2010. As in the past, I turn to Cruise Critic for research before selecting a cruise. There is so much more snobbery and snarkyness (is that a word) than in the past that it amazes me. Maybe it is a sign of the times. Have others noticed this?

I was prompted to write this after reading the "I'm So Over Half Moon Cay" thread.

As with all the others, I have never been asked the category or location of my stateroom. Sounds like you're going to have to find something else to talk about on HAL. Enjoy your cruise!

I understand it being rude to go on and on about one's own successes but at what point in time did it become snobbish or inappropriate to ask people what they do? That's typical ice breaker conversation when getting to know new people. What's next....it's snobbish to ask someone their name?

Perfect example of a Cruise Critic problem.

I was just thinking the same thing. I find that when I first meet people, asking them what they do is a great ice breaker. Better that than asking them their astrological sign, etc. It is often a great way to get people chatting :)

Yeah, my mom loves to talk politics. She always wants to convince the other person that they are wrong (even on a cruise ship). I have long learned that it is rarely worth it to try to do so.

EXACTLY. My dad uses Facebook to go on political rants... which often turn into heated arguments with the few friends who disagree with him. He doesn't get that his friends will NEVER change their minds. And I've told him if he REALLY wants to make a difference, to email his congressmen and senators often and sent him email links to do so. Not sure he ever took me up on it. Facebook is for sharing cruise pictures and cat videos. LOL!

I have never been asked the location nor the category of my cabin ever. I find it amazing that anyone would be the slightest bit interested. I must be very naive..

Funny story. We have always stayed in Signature Suites. We are not snobs but it was our first cabin and we've just always booked them since. On our last cruise we met some people who turned out to be great friends. They mentioned it was their first cruise and they were in an inside cabin. Having never seen an inside cabin we asked if we could look at it. They said sure. We all went down there and when they opened the cabin door my wife and I both blurted out at the same time "Wow". Of course our new friends wanted to see what a Signature Suite looked liked so up to deck six we all went. When we opened the door to our SS both the husband and wife blurted out together "Wow". We still all chuckle at the memory.