Cruising Snobbery

e3g

I don’t know what to say here but our last carnival cruise looked like an actual carnival with real carnies with the majority of people seemingly being covered with tattoos in camo ball caps.. even on elegant night. I essentially grew up on welfare in the hood but I really have a hard time relating to the people I’m seeing on the ships these days, it’s really changed. I used to feel like the poor kid that was stepping up in life surrounding myself with successful people on the ship but today I’m Literally embarrassed to tell my coworkers we cruise

Wow. Talk about judgmental. I almost commented on an earlier post of yours but I didn’t because I wasn’t sure. Now I’m certain. Your attitude is exactly what this whole thread is about.

Not preaching for either side here, but class has nothing to do with what people earn. ;)

Amen!!!

That said, it would be a very interesting study to examine the typical demographic distribution of different sets of cruise line passengers across multiple sociocultural and economic plus educational factors. Of course, such a study would be fraught with limitations and of limited value for all the obvious reasons.

Despite no significant data to support it, I hypothesize that, for premium and luxury lines, the "color of your collar" is actually irrelevant and that, regardless of how many degrees you may have, the one that matters most is the "education of the street" and how you created a life for yourself and family that melds quality and value.

I also believe that the major problem with mass market lines is that they are trying to be everything to everybody and that will never work for a clientele wanting to enjoy very specific amenities (while avoiding other distractions) and wanting to do so with like-minded company (whether they are, for example, plumbers/mechanics of houses or plumbers/mechanics of people).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Speaking of class. I worked with an electrical engineer in the government. He was forced to resign when his mother in law threatened to disown and remove him and his wife from the will because she was embarrassed to tell her friends that he worked for the government. (The estate was rather large.)

Having had a career that found me representing people and firms in all sorts of fields, I can honestly say I can find interest in anyone's job or profession. Many jobs that most of us might find objectionable, boring or repulsive are critical to our communities and usually involve particular skills, personality traits, training, etc. How people wind up in their ultimate situations is fascinating, since the path is usually an unpredictable and winding route influenced by events, needs and accidents.

I also have a problem with tattoos, but now have a wonderful niece and nephew covered with them. I may not be comfortable with the tattoos, but I find my niece and nephew endlessly charming and interesting.

Snobbiness should evaporate when the snobs work up the courage to get to know those "other people."

Wow. Talk about judgmental. I almost commented on an earlier post of yours but I didn’t because I wasn’t sure. Now I’m certain. Your attitude is exactly what this whole thread is about.

Trust me if you met me you would be shocked. I walk around in sweats and holy Levi’s, camo T-shirts and drive old fords. Both my mother and my mother-in-law grew up in trailer parks as well. That said I want to feel special when I’m spending my money to go on a cruise ship, we all do. We pay to be pampered and treated like royalty for one week of the year. We want to dress up for elegant night and feel like $1 million even if it’s only temporary. But when you’re surrounded by people that look like Larry the cable guy in the formal dining room you can I have to wonder why you wasted your time and money when you could’ve just going down to the local Honky-tonk or Walmart for that matter. But here’s the real kicker, on our last cruise that a New Orleans my wife and I were is open minded and friendly as we possibly could have been but the people being judge mental were the people that look like I described above. We are both fit and trim, well dressed in our cruise wear, and once we mentioned that we were from The East Coast we just got blank stares in the conversation is ended there. This happened about five or six times a day throughout the week. We even heard a Comment about living in a blue state. These oversized midwesterners and deep Southerners were looking at us and judging us, I found them to be borderline rude. trust me it’s a two-way street.

Edited by imouer

Trust me if you met me you would be shocked. I walk around in sweats and holy Levi’s, camo T-shirts and drive old fords. Both my mother and my mother-in-law grew up in trailer parks as well. That said I want to feel special when I’m spending my money to go on a cruise ship, we all do. We pay to be pampered and treated like royalty for one week of the year. We want to dress up for elegant night and feel like $1 million even if it’s only temporary. But when you’re surrounded by people that look like Larry the cable guy in the formal dining room you can I have to wonder why you wasted your time and money when you could’ve just going down to the local Honky-tonk or Walmart for that matter. But here’s the real kicker, on our last cruise that a New Orleans my wife and I were is open minded and friendly as we possibly could have been but the people being judge mental were the people that look like I described above. We are both fit and trim, well dressed in our cruise wear, and once we mentioned that we were from The East Coast we just got blank stares in the conversation is ended there. This happened about five or six times a day throughout the week. We even heard a Comment about living in a blue state. These oversized midwesterners and deep Southerners were looking at us and judging us, I found them to be borderline rude. trust me it’s a two-way street.

Perhaps they felt you were judging them as much as you felt they were judging you?? Just a thought.....

I don't know, as I was not there but I agree with one thing, I NEVER judge a person by where they live. There are wonderful people from all parts of this country, and the world in general. It just pays to keep an open mind and heart.

Perhaps they felt you were judging them as much as you felt they were judging you?? Just a thought.....

I don't know, as I was not there but I agree with one thing, I NEVER judge a person by where they live. There are wonderful people from all parts of this country, and the world in general. It just pays to keep an open mind and heart.

Well to be fair I am being a bit more judgmental now in retrospect because I’m feeling pretty put off about our recent experience but at the time my attitude was one of acceptance for sure

Never after 12 cruises have we been asked what room or where it was located.

Snobby people are a different story. First 2 cruises sat at table for 8, thought it would be fun to meet other people, and boy did we have bad experience. In fact we now ask for a table for 2. Don't want to sit with these type of people again.

To further clarify my earlier statement, I may live in NC now but I am originally from the northeast. I have also lived in the Midwest and deep south. I understand about regional prejudices. I have been the victim of judgemental attitudes more than once in many places I have lived....getting the "where are you from" question and chastisement on inflections of my verbal accent, or lack thereof. It's not nice to judge people on where they live or where they are from originally. It is no reflection of who they really are. And personal political leanings or beliefs are really no one's business nor should people comment on red or blue state, etc.!

To further clarify my earlier statement, I may live in NC now but I am originally from the northeast. I have also lived in the Midwest and deep south. I understand about regional prejudices. I have been the victim of judgemental attitudes more than once in many places I have lived....getting the "where are you from" question and chastisement on inflections of my verbal accent, or lack thereof. It's not nice to judge people on where they live or where they are from originally. It is no reflection of who they really are. And personal political leanings or beliefs are really no one's business nor should people comment on red or blue state, etc.!

I’m with you hundred percent. Ironically I have a pretty thick southern accent and I normally get treated like the hick around people from the Northeast Midwest etc. so it was really a different experience to be treated like the Yankee elitist on this last cruise quite a turnaround lol

I was brought up not to ask what someone does for a living, it would be similar to asking how much money they earn. I heard that Brits are particularly offended by the question.

Indeed, it's considered impolite in much of Europe. So if you need an ice breaker with a European, better stick to the weather.

Wow ... just Wow ... :o

We are both fit and trim, well dressed in our cruise wear, and once we mentioned that we were from The East Coast we just got blank stares in the conversation is ended there. This happened about five or six times a day throughout the week. We even heard a Comment about living in a blue state. These oversized midwesterners and deep Southerners were looking at us and judging us.

My goodness, are you even hearing yourself? I have to agree with the others. You're the one coming across as judgmental. This is the 3rd time now you've insulted the other passengers and pointed out your "blue state." Once or twice, maybe, but with this happening 5 or 6 times a day, it should be a hint that the others were not the problem.

By the way, I am also from the East Coast. I now live in the "deep south." These people are by far the most polite, friendly and accommodating I have ever met in my life. Not once have I been judged...at least, not to my face. Many of them might look rough but if you're in trouble, they would not hesitate to give you the camo shirt off their back.

It is offensive to be treated like you are stupid or ignorant just because you live in the south. I understand completely. It is just wrong on so many levels. What throws people off is I have lived in the south (for many years) but lack the true southern accent. So it becomes confusing to some people as I have a mish-mash of accents from all over. That's why I get the "where are you from anyway" question a lot.

I don't know that I'd call it "cruising snobbery" but it seems a lot of people want to seem more important or in the know than others. Especially others they will never see again. I remember one man at our MDR table, no matter what you said, he could top it. If you said you'd played golf with the Pope, he'd say he'd played with God. It got to be pretty funny.

Did you ask him if he won?

LOL!!!! Best quote so far!!

Same here. I personally don’t care where people are on a cruise. Not the highest priority. This isn’t the cast system that once was on Titanic where the rich were rich and the poor were poor.

Denise:)

I don't care, either, and have never been asked in many cruises on several lines.

I would say that there is still a caste system with suite passenge being in a special class....they paid for it. Several lines have special dining rooms for suite passengers although I don't know about HAL.

Yes, there are times when I have noticed a lot of snarkiness on this site. I just ignore it and move on.

Yes -- when we used to share tables in the dining room, we did have others there ask what cabin category we were in -- various cruise lines. One couple even had the nerve to ask what we paid for our cruise -- we never answered them.[/quote

I've not asked the question, but I am one who is curious. We can't name names here on CC so how else can we learn where the bargains are? I would like to know what others paid, how or who they booked with and what percs they received. Not to be snobbish or nosey but simply to learn if there is another way to book that will be more beneficial to me.

Context makes a difference, and so does location. For most people, a cruise is about a vacation and very little to nothing about work. People should be provided the opportunity to step outside of their work life and enjoy their cruise. When asking what they do, you are not affording them the opportunity to do so.

The other challenge when asking someone you've just met what it is that they do is that whether you are aware of it or not, we do form judgments, good or bad, based on the response. It is unfortunate but for many, jobs become labels that are attached to the person, and even though we all agree that we are not what we do, the reality is that we sometimes don't act that way.

People who are able to disconnect their professional lives from the personal lives usually find the question offensive. They would rather you got to know them on a personal level and not on a professional level. In other words, take the time to discover who I am as a person and not the tasks that I do to earn a living.

^^This. Exactly.

I'm about to go on my first cruise and I don't see a problem or see it as snobbery if someone asks about a cabin. Frankly, I see a cabin as a place to sleep and I don't intend to spend any time in there except for that. And you know what? I bet the mattresses are the same. And I bet they're all the same, cleanliness-wise. So, some rooms are bigger and some have a porthole or a balcony. Their choice! They might see it as something they must have, and that's fine. I see it as an unnecessary expense.[/quote

Totally agree, I wouldn't be offended by the question but I wouldn't subject myself to people asking overbearing questions. I'm cruising to have fun and not be bothered by people with attitudes. I'll smile and keep going :-)

Have fun on your cruise..

Yes, RedneckBob has experienced snobbery first hand. Years ago we were in one of those inside cabins that was so close to the bottom of the ship that it had this small door in the wall with a sign above the door that said, " Close Door after Shoveling Coal" :D

So even though we were in this cabin we were invited to all the events with people in Suites. We never found out why but maybe it was because the Hotel Manager first name was Bubba.

Back to the story. We were attending a cocktail party given by the Captain for all the "Suite" people and a man came up to me and said and I quote, what a great party, we don't have to mingle with those other people. Well I said I am one of those other people.

Yes, I've sailed in that same class cabin. As I recall, it was in a Bilge Class, Guarantee.

I’m with you hundred percent. Ironically I have a pretty thick southern accent and I normally get treated like the hick around people from the Northeast Midwest etc. so it was really a different experience to be treated like the Yankee elitist on this last cruise quite a turnaround lol

Southern girl myself who has never been treated that way. Nor would I call someone a "Yankee"

In all of our years of cruising, we have never been asked what type of cabin we had. I would not mind, however, if someone did ask. I have to have a balcony because I am claustrophobic. But I have always said that the smartest passengers on the ship are the ones who cruise in inside cabins. Except for suite amenities and a concierge, etc. passengers in inside cabins get what everyone else gets ... they Use the same common areas, dine in the same restaurants, visit the same ports, see the same Shows, go on the same shore excursions, etc. as people who shell out big bucks for suites. They can go on how many more cruises than someone who pays for a Neptune suite and gets a little bit more real estate?

Also, when someone asks what I do or what my husband does for a living, I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are asking to learn more about us in a favorable way or to use it as an icebreaker. I’m not so paranoid that I think everyone (or anyone) is judging me.

As for snobbery on CC, yes, I’ll admit that I’m tired of hearing how many Days someone has or how they don’t need more days or how many stars they have.

If you have valuable

Information, relevant information, current information, well, I don’t care how many cruises you have been on, just share your experience that is relevant to the thread.

Others may disagree with me but YMMV! 😀

Well stated! :D