Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy on HAL?

Kingofcool1947

Oh, I hope they do serve it someday.....my DH loves it! In fact, after a few days onboard he is usually looking around for fried chicken....he goes into "Fried Chicken Withdrawal" after about 4-5 days. Once day in the Lido he found it at lunch and you would have thought he hit the lottery...he really attacked that plate of chicken he had!

psst ... OP was asking about chicken fried steak and NOT about fried chicken ... it pays to pay attention ...

You are correct, the OP was asking about chicken fried steak, to which I appropriately responded. I then went on a tangent to talk about fried chicken . . . perhaps I should have started another thread?

Smooth Sailing!

I love freshly made "chicken fried steak" particularly since, if made correctly in the style of German immigrants to Texas, it is basically the same as decent "wiener schnitzel."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

most schnitzel I've seen is pan fried.

Good chicken fried steak has a very crusty coating. Think KFC extra crispy. Most is deep fried to get the real crusty coating.

Must be a product that Wal*Mart has for the California market 'cuz there is no such thing as bottled gravy in the South.

Not to put too fine a point on it but....Heinz actually makes bottled Homestyle "Country Style" Sausage Gravy, and it is white in color. I've never actually seen it in Wallmart but you could probably order it on line. Google it if you don't believe me.

Not to put too fine a point on it but....Heinz actually makes bottled Homestyle "Country Style" Sausage Gravy, and it is white in color. I've never actually seen it in Wallmart but you could probably order it on line. Google it if you don't believe me.

I believe you may have missed their point. While Heinz may "call" it gravy, those in the south that make their own know that it ain't real gravy. Well maybe to people in CA it is. hahahaha

Oh and Italians call what many refer to as pasta sauce ...wait for it...gravy. And you'll never find that in a jar either.

Regardless of what it is named, the bottled stuff that Heinz apparently sells (in California) is not white gravy and would not be eaten by any self-respecting Southerner!!!

One of my aunts (my family is from southern Missouri) described chicken fried steak as neither chicken nor steak. She said it is shoe leather dipped in flour and fried in lard.

I don't think your aunt has had real chicken fried steak or she would have a different opinion. I originally come from the NE but once I had the real stuff....wow, it was wonderful.

Thank you.

How about good Southern fried chicken, with a crispy coating?

I have lots of days on HAL ships and I've never seen a crispy lookin g piece of fried chicken and seeing that is not something I ever have at home, I would never have passed it up. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Not usually much into chain restaurants, but I love Texas Roadhouse chicken fried steak. Country gravy great for dipping the rolls into also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bingo! My chance to have chicken fried steak...a Texas Roadhouse has opened close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though this stretches the OP's first topic of chicken fried streak, the 2nd question was about fried chicken. If I may be so bold to respond to the 2nd question..... on a recent Westerdam 25 day cruise, the Lido lunch had delicious fried chicken just about every other day. It was crispy, very tender, and the chicken breast was not dry, very juicy. They also offered it once a week in the MDR. Another MDR item that was great was veal schnitzel. Pounded, tender pieces of veal with a buttery breading. I usually asked for 2.

I believe you may have missed their point. While Heinz may "call" it gravy, those in the south that make their own know that it ain't real gravy. Well maybe to people in CA it is. hahahaha

Oh and Italians call what many refer to as pasta sauce ...wait for it...gravy. And you'll never find that in a jar either.

Actually, it's Italian-Americans (and primarily the northeastern ones) that have tomato based "gravy" (vs sauce) with many of their dishes: i.e. Sunday Gravy to a Brooklyn kid.

As for California, the only thing in glass many of us ingest is wine!

AND please remember from where most of the artichokes, asparagus, avocados, almonds, tomatoes, and milk/cheese (specifically from "HAPPY cows") you enjoy originated.

As for Walmart, do any Californians on CC know if we even have a Walmart?

Actually, it's Italian-Americans (and primarily the northeastern ones) that have tomato based "gravy" (vs sauce) with many of their dishes: i.e. Sunday Gravy to a Brooklyn kid.

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote that. I'm originally from up there ..being born in Brooklyn.

Even though this stretches the OP's first topic of chicken fried streak, the 2nd question was about fried chicken. If I may be so bold to respond to the 2nd question..... on a recent Westerdam 25 day cruise, the Lido lunch had delicious fried chicken just about every other day. It was crispy, very tender, and the chicken breast was not dry, very juicy. They also offered it once a week in the MDR. Another MDR item that was great was veal schnitzel. Pounded, tender pieces of veal with a buttery breading. I usually asked for 2.

Thank you! Just what I needed to know. :)

Thank you! Just what I needed to know. :)

How about catfish po-boys (sans gravy) . I've had them in New Orleans and they are absolutely fantastic. Would they go over as well as properly made Chicken Fried Steak ?

We can't get them at Wal-Mart either in California.

AND please remember from where most of the artichokes, asparagus, avocados, almonds, tomatoes, and milk/cheese (specifically from "HAPPY cows") you enjoy originated.

Not from CA but a quick Google search reveals that there are 304 retail units and 14 distribution centers in your state, employing over 91,000 employees. Walmart paid over $334M in taxes in CA and contributed over $61M in charity to local organizations. I bet they even bought a lot of artichokes, asparagus, avocados, almonds, tomatoes, and milk/cheese from your farmers and growers.

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote that. I'm originally from up there ..being born in Brooklyn.

Okay then. Let's forget the "chicken fried steak" conversation and switch to Vitello parmigiano, accompanied by a deep fried calzone (a la Siciliana).

And while we're at it, since it's the Christmas holidays, let's add some aragosta (lobster) arrabbiata or granchio arrabbiato (with nice big/sweet NorCal Dungeness crabs)

Not from CA but a quick Google search reveals that there are 304 retail units and 14 distribution centers in your state, employing over 91,000 employees. Walmart paid over $334M in taxes in CA and contributed over $61M in charity to local organizations. I bet they even bought a lot of artichokes, asparagus, avocados, almonds, tomatoes, and milk/cheese from your farmers and growers.

They must be in SOUTHERN California[emoji41].

I think we do have a couple of Walmarts but only rednecks from the South shop there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk