Live from Oceania Sirena (December 16th to January 20th)

travelberlin

I guess I am confused also

We do not book onboard but I often have seen a line outside the Club Ambassador's office on the larger O class ships so people must not have a problem.

or maybe you are complaining because you have to stand in line to book another cruise :confused:

To tell you the truth, we are confused also. I have asked the next cruise sales person which I think on Oceania are called Club Ambassadors to quote cruises with offers for solo cruisers. This because I cruise once in a while, solo. He told me that even tough there are some offers in America, this offers are not available for "my region". First time I hear that Bolivia does not count as part of the Americas. In all cruise lines in which we have sailed before, Bolivia does not belong to the European, British, Australian, African or Asian region. It does not either constitute a region on its own (lets be serious, how many Bolivians are cruising? Enough to make a "region"?). Since Bolivia belongs to the American continent, it is of course considered in the American "region". At least until now.

Any how we have asked for clarification to which "region" is Bolivia supposed to belong. We will see...

Ivi

I'm with you travelberlin. I don't like the way the next cruises are sold and find it confusing. Sometimes get deluged with multiple promo sheets with $XXX off but no prices. Useless. Was much simpler in the olden days with x% off and a few additional promos on short lead time cruises they want to fill. We stopped booking on board and for a short period had no O cruises booked when we used to have at least two booked at time. It takes too much valuable vacation time to go through the multiple charts so just toss them as soon as they arrive in the cabin (though I hate wasting the stack of paper) and skip the line at the sales desk. Always a line on the last few days which must be frustrating to the sale staff with idle time at the start of the cruise..

I do appreciate your cruise report and the pictures

Possibly the sales person was referring to offers for North Americans & not people in The Americas

Regional differences apply to some cruise prices & perks

I would think all of the cruises have solo prices but maybe not special offers on all of the sailings

There are 16 listed for special discounted rates on cruises up to March 2018

you can see if this link will work for you

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/single-supplement/

Edited by LHT28

Merry Christmas from the Oceania Sirena! We had a lovely Christmas Eve. Nice Christmas Carrolls being sang by guests. Dottie conducted a significative interdenominational service.

Back at our room we found a nice present from Oceania. It is a crystal ball. It would be our second one, but unfortunately the one we got 10 years ago from Oceania broke about one year ago. We like those presents.

We are still enjoying the on board experience. Later I will post about our day yesterday in Nicaragua.

Ivi

Yesterday we docked in Corinto, Nicaragua. We took a ship's excursion to Leon, which was apparently once the capital from Nicaragua. It is about one hour drive from the port.

Our guide was excellent. He explained during the drive lots of details about Nicaragua. We have learned a lot on this trip.

Leon is a colonial town, which we did not find particularly attractive. We have visited the oldest Cathedral from Nicaragua. There is buried a very famous Nicaraguan poet called Ruben Dario. Ruben Dario was considered the father of modernism in Latin America. My mother has taught me as a child a couple of poems from him. For example the poem dedicated to a child called Margarita Debayle. I felt nostalgic about my childhood and about not having my parents alive anymore...

Ivi

Christmas Day was nice at the Sirena. We were docked in Punta Arenas, Costa Rica. We stayed around the port. Many families enjoying their holidays at the beach. It was quite warm. Visited a church and on the way back to the ship, we have seen a bird, which looked like a young pelican. I am not sure if it is a pelican. Costa Rica seems to have a large diversity of birds.

The food at the buffet restaurant at lunch time included a Virginia style ham. In the evening, we ate at the MDR and order the turkey. Somehow I find the turkey meals on ships not really the best, unless you are being served directly from the turkey displayed in front of you. The prepared frozen option does not meet our expectations. Fortunately at the MDR there was also the real thing available.

I hope you had a nice Christmas day. This is all from me now. Bye, bye.

Ivi

How’s the food on board?

Has it been meeting your expectations?

Oceania has the reputation of having the best cuisine at sea. Has it been?

I will be on a first time cruise with Oceania Sirena in a few months. Looking forward to the food. :D

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thanks Bodogbodog for posting my pictures. I know you cruise with Crystal. I have the feeling you will like it also here. Specially the string quartet ( I am sending you the photo).

This talented music group delights us every afternoon during the tea and in the evening after dinner.

Their repertoire is amazing... last evening we have enjoyed for example the Blue Danube, the tango Por una Cabeza, among others.

Ivi

How’s the food on board?

Has it been meeting your expectations?

Oceania has the reputation of having the best cuisine at sea. Has it been?

I will be on a first time cruise with Oceania Sirena in a few months. Looking forward to the food. :D

Hi Kingofcool, I like your name👍

The Oceania Sirena has imho very good food at the MDR, both with the Jacques Pepin offers and with the regular MDR offers. At the buffet restaurant it varies. Sometimes is good, for example when we had fresh fish being grilled in front of us one evening. Sometimes we do not like it, for example the South American Buffet...

We have eaten twice at the Red Ginger, which is an Asian inspired restaurant. We have liked both times, only the menu does not seem to change. This evening we are booked at the Tuscan restaurant, so I will be able to comment afterwards.

Breakfast offers are very similar to other ships, I do not find anything exciting there. We are impressed however with the ability to accommodate special wishes. My husband has requested a dark, multigrain bread to the pastry chef, and since yesterday they are offering it to us. This bread is very good indeed.

Ivi

Hi Kingofcool, I like your name

The Oceania Sirena has imho very good food at the MDR, both with the Jacques Pepin offers and with the regular MDR offers. At the buffet restaurant it varies. Sometimes is good, for example when we had fresh fish being grilled in front of us one evening. Sometimes we do not like it, for example the South American Buffet...

We have eaten twice at the Red Ginger, which is an Asian inspired restaurant. We have liked both times, only the menu does not seem to change. This evening we are booked at the Tuscan restaurant, so I will be able to comment afterwards.

Breakfast offers are very similar to other ships, I do not find anything exciting there. We are impressed however with the ability to accommodate special wishes. My husband has requested a dark, multigrain bread to the pastry chef, and since yesterday they are offering it to us. This bread is very good indeed.

Ivi

Thank you for your daily report. And nice photos as well. :) Very helpful information.

Do you take photos of your food?

Also re:Red Ginger. Do they serve dim sum?

I will continue to follow this thread as you continue your wonderful journey.

Regards, and with gratitude.

Very much enjoying your posts. Always fun to "travel along" with someone who is onboard. Keep on having fun!

Joe

Thanks Joe! I also enjoy reading live threads...it kind of transport me to the place which is being described.

I see you will be on the Edge. That must be an amazing ship also...

Ivi

Unfortunately no but they have very decent chicken potstickers occasionally at the Terrace (great with the sweet chili sauce) :)

Thank you!

Awesome selection of cuisines. :D

Can’t wait until my cruise on Sirena, And non-stop eating. :D

lvi / travelberlin thanks for all the time you are taking to keep up this blog - it is really enjoyable to follow!

Sorry for delayed comment, but in terms of booking on board Oceania, a few additional thoughts:

-you may choose a "future cruise certificate" instead of a specific booking. Pro: don't have to select a voyage (have up to 2 yrs to select) & this gives you more time to enjoy your current cruise & can allow you to get your future cruise further out in time (since the schedule usually goes out 12-18 months, you could in theory have your onboard booking apply to travel as far as 3-1/2 yrs out instead of "just" 18 months). Cons: slightly higher per person deposit (at the moment $350 instead of $250), can *not* make a change once you apply the certificate to a cruise (specific onboard bookings have a "free" one-time change - although a good TA might be able to help here)

-From the Oceania@Sea computers you can log on to the Oceania website to check cruise details *without* having to log in with your internet credentials. Which means if you are sharing internet with your spouse, you can check out cruises without the spouse having to logoff

On shorter cruises we tend to go with the future cruise certificate; on longer cruises we tend to make a specific future booking. Happy travels!

lvi / travelberlin thanks for all the time you are taking to keep up this blog - it is really enjoyable to follow!

Sorry for delayed comment, but in terms of booking on board Oceania, a few additional thoughts:

-you may choose a "future cruise certificate" instead of a specific booking. Pro: don't have to select a voyage (have up to 2 yrs to select) & this gives you more time to enjoy your current cruise & can allow you to get your future cruise further out in time (since the schedule usually goes out 12-18 months, you could in theory have your onboard booking apply to travel as far as 3-1/2 yrs out instead of "just" 18 months). Cons: slightly higher per person deposit (at the moment $350 instead of $250), can *not* make a change once you apply the certificate to a cruise (specific onboard bookings have a "free" one-time change - although a good TA might be able to help here)

-From the Oceania@Sea computers you can log on to the Oceania website to check cruise details *without* having to log in with your internet credentials. Which means if you are sharing internet with your spouse, you can check out cruises without the spouse having to logoff

On shorter cruises we tend to go with the future cruise certificate; on longer cruises we tend to make a specific future booking. Happy travels!

Thanks to you Babysteps for your detailed advise! Good tips. I will consider the future cruise certificate. It is a pitty that it expires after 2 years. Do you get your money back if you do not book cruise?

Ivi

Yesterday was the Panama Canal. This is the second time in which we have done this crossing. The first time was about 7 years ago with the Celebrity Infinity. In both crossings we had commentators explaining several aspects of the construction of the Panama Canal and we had also read some books about it. Still it always amazes us to see this incredible work.

In the evening we had dinner at the Tuscan restaurant. This restaurant offers a mixture between Italian food and a steak house. My husband and me went for the Italian alternative. I had the Branzino and my husband the Ossobuco. We found the Ossobuco better than the Branzino. It is not always easy to have a good fish at a ship… But overall, we had an enjoyable experience. We shared a table with a couple from Virginia, USA and had an interesting conversation about several subjects. It is so good to be able to get to know people from different countries and background. It contributes to make our experience something to remember.

Today the seas are a little rocky. The outside areas are closed and many people are sitting on the public areas on the 5th floor. So am I, midship is a good area to be at rocky ships. I am wearing my acupressure bands, which help me to avoid sea sickness. At least, I think they do.

I wish you a nice day. Bye, bye.

Ivi