Encore production show

jetsfan526

Not sure if Encore is one of the production shows we have seen. In general, we like the production shows at the Princess Theatre. Great dancers and costumes. Some that we liked were Bravo, Magic to Do and Fiera, among others

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Going on a cruise and this is the production show showing for us.. Has anyone seen it that can give us any input? Worth watching? How are the production shows in general on princess?

Encore is excellent, especially if they have as good of a soprano as we had on Island Princess a couple of months ago. In general, the quality of the shows is getting better.

I enjoyed Encore very much on the Regal & looking forward to seeing it again.

Here’s the Princess description from a pre-cruise email I received.

Encore

Escape into a sophisticated evening of music and glamour, set amid the romantic splendor of a beautiful Montecito garden. Accompanied by an onstage orchestra, Encore celebrates the traditions of pop, opera and musical theater. This spellbinding experience showcasing new songs, elaborate costumes and stunning sets designed by Emmy® award-winner John Iacovelli features musical direction by Academy Awards arranger Nelson Kole. Learn more

If you click on the blue “Learn more” link you can view a promotional video for this elegant production show and information on other production shows.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If Encore is as great as it was when I heard it on the Coral, you are in for a treat. The ship's company earned a well-deserved standing ovation. The guest soprano there was absolutely stellar and a real, résuméd New York opera singer.

Everyone on the cruise was talking about it, from the music selections to the costumes. A Do Not Miss.

wow cant wait to see it! how does this show stack up compared to the others princess offers? im new to this and would like your opinion on what are some of the good shows i should be looking out for on future cruises

I think that Encore is one of their best shows but I’m far from being an entertainment critic. ;)

I’ve also enjoyed their newer shows such as Bravo, Fiera, Magic to Do, and Born to Dance. However what each passenger likes is very subjective but I haven’t been disappointed in any of these shows.

Here’s a link to the Encore promotional video:

Edited by Astro Flyer

A friend of ours just disembarked from the Crown on Friday and he raved about Encore saying it was the best thing he had ever seen on Princess (6 cruises) and maybe the best thing he has seen on any cruise ship (he spreads his patronage over many lines).

We saw the premiere of Encore on the Royal this month. It was good but did not thrill me.

The concept is about the same as Bravo, which we saw on the Caribbean Princess in August.

One of my complaints is that the dancers don't have much to do. There is an onstage orchestra but still the sweetener track that overpowers the musicians. Danny Teeson, the creative director of Encore, was on our cruise to oversee the production on the Royal.

We saw the premiere of Encore on the Royal this month. It was good but did not thrill me.

The concept is about the same as Bravo, which we saw on the Caribbean Princess in August.

One of my complaints is that the dancers don't have much to do. There is an onstage orchestra but still the sweetener track that overpowers the musicians. Danny Teeson, the creative director of Encore, was on our cruise to oversee the production on the Royal.

I think with the advent of Stephen Schwartz's Magic To Do and the new dancer-driven show Born to Dance, Encore strikes an elegant balance between them as an exquisitely singer-driven show.

If the guest soprano is worth her salt (as well as the company vocalists) in Encore or Bravo, that also should step these shows up a notch into world-class entertainment. But that would depend on the ship - and the soprano.

Not every show needs to have extensive dancing (or singing) to be an emotionally thrilling production, IMHO. It's the responsibility of the performers/actors/musicians onstage (however many there may be and in what variety and capacity) to make it emotionally thrilling, artistically provoking, or at the very least, positively memorable entertainment. The sweetener track is only as overpowering as the expertise of the sound man and needed as much as the expertise of the musicians onstage. Maybe the premiere was green and needed some time to meld all the elements successfully, including the sound.

Personally, I like the direction all of the new shows are taking, Bravo and Encore at the top of my list. I don't expect to be wowed by every show I see at sea, but when all the elements come together in those rare moments, it's really something.

Edited by musicpro442

That pretty much matches our assessment - we saw it on the same Royal Princess cruise on the last night Dec 19 (a week ago).

If one poster saw this "a year ago", that was "Bravo", not Encore. The shows are similar in format, and we found Bravo to be better. We saw it twice, it was so good.

Encore was a good show, but lacked some of the nicer live elements. For instance, the night we saw it, there was a brief section "featuring the Princess show band" playing things like an excerpt from an opera where the trumpet carried the theme. We couldn't hear the live trumpet (what ??!!). To contrast this we could actually hear the voices of the dancers when singing in a background chorus. Some of the dance elements looked like they could have been from Dancing With the Stars, and some were really special. The singers were really good.

Don't miss seeing Encore if you get the opportunity, and don't miss seeing Bravo.

Edited by Times Prince
clarification of error

If one poster saw this "a year ago", that was "Bravo", not Encore. The shows are similar in format, and we found Bravo to be better. We saw it twice, it was so good.

Encore has been first on the Island Princess since Fall 2016 and second on the Coral since December 2016. I saw its second performance on Coral just before Christmas.

So yes, it *could* have been last year that someone saw Encore. I prefer the soprano's songs in Encore to Bravo. Much more difficult, some of the hardest to sing in the repertoire. Stay until the end to hear the hardest one. Not everyone can sing Queen of the Night.

You won't regret seeing it or Bravo on whatever ship you're sailing, OP.

is this show more like an opera or musical?? will younger crowds enjoy Encore? seems like its for more classical tastes and the younger crowd 30 and below might get bored sitting through it... please tell me people of all ages will enjoy this

I enjoyed similar shows when I cruised in my 30s & think it’s more about personal preferences than it is about age. ;)

is this show more like an opera or musical?? will younger crowds enjoy Encore? seems like its for more classical tastes and the younger crowd 30 and below might get bored sitting through it... please tell me people of all ages will enjoy this

We had a 7-year-old girl at our table and she said that she loved the show, especially the princesses in the pretty dresses who sang like Cinderella. Draw from that what you will. ;)

So yes, it *could* have been last year that someone saw Encore. I prefer the soprano's songs in Encore to Bravo. Much more difficult, some of the hardest to sing in the repertoire. Stay until the end to hear the hardest one. Not everyone can sing Queen of the Night.
The soprano on our Royal Princess cruise was good. Much better than this performance:

The soprano on our Royal Princess cruise was good. Much better than this performance:

Well I would certainly hope so. Bless the real Mrs. Jenkins from years ago for singing with her full heart.

That being said, I would hope anyone who tackles that aria anywhere sings it as Mozart intended. The soprano on Coral nailed it just as well as this famous coloratura soprano singing this role regularly. (Diana Damrau)

https://youtu.be/dpVV9jShEzU

Princess is lucky to have anyone who can do it as Mozart intended. Not just the high F.

The show includes an interesting mix of songs, not just classical. For instance one of the sections featured a James Bond movie theme. As a musician I enjoyed it all, and believe people of all ages would enjoy the show.

The essence of this show and Bravo is that the shows really showcase the singers at their very best in multiple genres.

• 6 months later...

Just off the Royal. Usually bit critical of the production shows, but watching Encore, I actually couldn’t believe I was on a Princess ship. It was absolutely brilliant. The guest artists were excellent, as were the production singers.

Standing ovation at the end.

During the Colours of the World show, 4 tenors came on stage and the music for “Time to say goodbye” started. Loud groan wondering what to expect, but they too were excellent. Their voices really harmonised.

On the other hand, in my opinion, Silk was far too loud and too long.

Hope Encore is on the Sapphire in September and the same quality singers.

Entertainment is really improving if this cruise is anything to go by.