MDR Attire - Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean

iujen94

First off, PLEASE don't let this thread turn into the normal debate about dress codes - this is a legitimate question :)

My sister and I are cruising to Italy/Greece on Celebrity Constellation in June. I've previously done a number of cruises to the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean, and know what to expect as far as what people will wear in the MDR. For those that have sailed both Celebrity and RC, is attire in the MDR basically the same on both cruise lines, or does one tend to be dressier than the other? I also wasn't sure if there might be a difference in Caribbean cruise vs. European. Thanks in advance!

First off, PLEASE don't let this thread turn into the normal debate about dress codes - this is a legitimate question :)

My sister and I are cruising to Italy/Greece on Celebrity Constellation in June. I've previously done a number of cruises to the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean, and know what to expect as far as what people will wear in the MDR. For those that have sailed both Celebrity and RC, is attire in the MDR basically the same on both cruise lines, or does one tend to be dressier than the other? I also wasn't sure if there might be a difference in Caribbean cruise vs. European. Thanks in advance!

Recently I did Constellation in Italy and the Adriatic. There is really no dress code differences at all in the MDR on Europe vs. elsewhere. No shorts as per the stated dress code. On most nights there is no difference between RCCL and Celebrity in the MDR. However RCCL still has formal nights whereas Celebrity has eliminated formal in favor of Chic nights (more like smart casual but formal dress OK too).

Yes, they are essentially the same. Formal dress is not required or enforced in any dining venue on any night on either line. Casual is fine with either. RCI may still have designated "formal" nights but those dress codes are suggested and optional and have not been enforced for a number of years and, as mentioned, Celebrity has changed that designation to "chic" with any formal attire optional.

Just off a Royal ship and the dress code in the MDR was non-existent. Many people in shorts, rubber flips flop, baseball caps which they wore all through dinner. Even saw a couple of ladies with a swimsuit & cover-up at dinner.

So although the two dress codes are similar on paper, in actuality we saw attire at dinner on Royal that we haven’t seen on Celebrity.

On RCI the men wear their baseball caps (in the MDR) backwards. On Celebrity, many more wear them forwards. On both lines, many men have simply forgotten their basic manners that men do not wear hats indoors (unless in a place like a sports bar).

But seriously, my advice (from a frequent cruiser for over forty years) is that you pack and wear what makes you feel best and do not concern yourself with the others (many of whom were raised by wolves). I just returned (last week) from 21 days on the Reflection where they have no formal nights...but now call them Chic Nights. I decided to take my Tux (with an assortment of hand tied bow ties) on the cruise and wore it for all 4 chic nights. I was certainly in the minority, but there were a surprising number of other men in suits, jackets, and even tuxes. As to the ladies, some were dressed like fashion models, most were dressed nicely, and some looked like tramps who had just left the town dump. Personally (and speaking for DW) we would rather be among the best dressed then the Children of the Dump crowd...but its a personal thing. Dressing up makes us feel good and also helps make the evening a little special.

I should also mention that the ladies that got the most looks were the best dressed.

Hank

The cruise line's maitr'd is the person who makes or breaks the written dress code. I have seen ships where people in shorts in the MDR dinnertime were excluded. I have also seen shorts, flipflops, hats,pj,s, etc. in the MDR at dinner. The formal attire was most abused. While some people did dress formally, most guests did not. Some cruiselines have gone to smart or country club casual every evening. The more upscale the cruiseline, the more people will wear appropriate attire.

Cruising Europeans tend to enjoy dressing up more. But having cruised Italy and Greece in the summer, it wasn't as dressy as on fall cruising dates leaving from England. Younger passengers in summer were more casual.

I have sailed RCI and Celebrity numerous times. Passengers tend to dress a little nicer in the MDR every night on Celebrity. RCI's diners tend to the more casual, even on so-called "formal" nights. Personally, I prefer dressing a little nicer for dinner and like the MDR atmosphere better on Celebrity. Hope this helps.

Mostly we sail Celebrity but we just got off a RCCL 5 night cruise. There was no dress code on RCCL on formal nite I saw men in all type of dress mostly shirts with ties. The dress on other nights shorts and and tee shirts, I thought maybe because it was a 5 nighter the dress might have been affected. I think this will be our last shorter cruise.

J.

Just off a Royal ship and the dress code in the MDR was non-existent. Many people in shorts, rubber flips flop, baseball caps which they wore all through dinner. Even saw a couple of ladies with a swimsuit & cover-up at dinner.

Yes, this!!

One might think that since RCCL has a formal night that overall people on RCCL would dress a little better. On the contrary. On RCCL just throw on whatever you'd wear to go to out for a dinner at Taco Bell then on to shopping at Wal-Mart and you'll be all set. Nothing wrong with either of those places, but using them as examples.

On CCL people dress nicer overall. On Chic nights there will still be people dressed formally, although sadly, just a few. You'll see most dressed very nicely, but not at all formal or simi-formal.

I do think people tend to dress up a little more on European cruises. Europeans don't tend to dress like they are going out to Taco Bell when going to a nice restaurant. lol