Drinks Package if Spouse is Non-Drinker

ggo85

My DH can't drink alcohol due to medication he takes (blood thinners) -- hasn't had a single alcoholic drink in 13 years. He doesn't drink sodas or bottled water or specialty coffees or fruit juice -- just plain coffee and tap water. I like the flexibility of the drinks package, especially being able to order wine with dinner without an additional charge (or w/o having to carry wine from a bar into the DR using my Diamond evening drinks) and having the cold Corona by the pool.

I understand the new "rules" for buying a drinks package -- all passengers over 21 must purchase the alcohol package.

Are there any options in my situation other than paying hundreds of dollars for something that won't be used (we're NOT doing that) or my buying by the drink? If I have to buy by the drink, I'll buy a lot less than the cost of a drink package -- and drink a lot less.:) But it will be annoying to have to pay as I go.:(

I understand this might be the only way she can get a drink package but it is still a waste of money for them as DH does not drink any of the stuff available to him

Totally agree, but that seems to be the minimum way to get a drink package pre-cruise these days. Perhaps once they are onboard, there will be more flexibility.

No it’s if you buy a drink package they charge you for each person in the room. This is to stop one person from getting the package and buying drinks for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No it’s if you buy a drink package they charge you for each person in the room. This is to stop one person from getting the package and buying drinks for everyone

Which some would then brag about doing.

My DH can't drink alcohol due to medication he takes (blood thinners) -- hasn't had a single alcoholic drink in 13 years. He doesn't drink sodas or bottled water or specialty coffees or fruit juice -- just plain coffee and tap water. I like the flexibility of the drinks package, especially being able to order wine with dinner without an additional charge (or w/o having to carry wine from a bar into the DR using my Diamond evening drinks) and having the cold Corona by the pool.

I understand the new "rules" for buying a drinks package -- all passengers over 21 must purchase the alcohol package.

Are there any options in my situation other than paying hundreds of dollars for something that won't be used (we're NOT doing that) or my buying by the drink? If I have to buy by the drink, I'll buy a lot less than the cost of a drink package -- and drink a lot less.:) But it will be annoying to have to pay as I go.:(

I am positive this is definitely not the case, call Royal and get them to confirm it. Buy the package once on board and I am sure you can just buy it for yourself.

I am positive this is definitely not the case, call Royal and get them to confirm it. Buy the package once on board and I am sure you can just buy it for yourself.

Shhhhhh Mic some cruisers dont want it mentioned that many ships will sell just one package onboard even though the web page says all adults must buy or none ;p

It sounds like you might be better off just paying for your drinks as you go, unless you really put a premium on not being "annoyed."

If you call RC and explain they do have an exception for situations like this. It is stated in the fine print of the packages. But you will have to call cannot be booked online as one.

This is partially correct.

When the packages were first introduced they were allowing exceptions where you could only purchase one package however that ended after about a week.

They are currently allowing the purchase of only one delux package if the second person purchases a refreshment package.

You must call to do this.

If you call RC and explain they do have an exception for situations like this. It is stated in the fine print of the packages. But you will have to call cannot be booked online as one.

This ^

I called and explained my wife does not drink for medical reasons and I purchased a deluxe for me only.

After several emails sent to both the Crown and Anchor and RCCL Corporate I got a phone call from a woman who explained she was a Corporate Representative?? I guess anyone answering a phone at any of their offices is actually a Corporate Representative..

I was told that the policy as stated saying that if one gets the ALCOHOL PACKAGE the other passengers over the age of 21 MUST also GET THE ALCOHOL PACKAGE. She said this was the policy and was emphatic that there was NO WAY around it,and unless the policy changes it is in effect.

After reading dozens of posts dealing with this issue and seeing that people have been able to split the packages, so there is one alcohol and one replenishment (non-alcohol) package, and understanding the people on CruiseCritic have NO REASON to be telling lies I followed up with emails too C&A and to the office of Michael Bayley.

The emails were sent last Thursday and we shall see if there is any response.

If the policy is in effect I will simply purchase a replenishment package for my wife and I will just pay as I go. I don't think I have every exceeded the daily cost of the drink package but it was always worth just swiping the card and being done with it...

bosco

When we were on Carnival one time, and they have the policy of "one buys it, everybody gets it" - We asked about only my husband buying it, and they said if I could get a note from my doctor faxed in, that they would just let one person in the cabin purchase the drink package - Of course, I was already on board, and the doctor's office was not open on the weekend - so I didn't have any luck - but - it may be worth a try to get a statement from your doctor, and try to get prior approval from Royal that way?

RC is only interested in $$$. They don't care about a loyal passenger's situation. You will have to buy two or none. Sad! My opinion is don't spend a dime. Have your libations in the ports and let RCI suffer the loss.

This is partially correct.

When the packages were first introduced they were allowing exceptions where you could only purchase one package however that ended after about a week.

They are currently allowing the purchase of only one delux package if the second person purchases a refreshment package.

You must call to do this.

So what if you don't drink soda, specialty coffee or fresh squeezed juice? You are still being forced to pay for something that you don't want! Disgusting money making tactic. Such a turn off.

When we were on Carnival one time, and they have the policy of "one buys it, everybody gets it" - We asked about only my husband buying it, and they said if I could get a note from my doctor faxed in, that they would just let one person in the cabin purchase the drink package - Of course, I was already on board, and the doctor's office was not open on the weekend - so I didn't have any luck - but - it may be worth a try to get a statement from your doctor, and try to get prior approval from Royal that way?

A doctor's note? Why must a doctor's note be required for anyone who doesn't EVER drink alcohol because they just don't like it? Most people who DON'T drink do so because they DON'T like alcohol, not because they have a medical problem.

Besides the fact that alcohol intolerance isn't an allergy..

bosco

So what if you don't drink soda, specialty coffee or fresh squeezed juice? You are still being forced to pay for something that you don't want! Disgusting money making tactic. Such a turn off.

No one is being forced to purchase anything. You can always just pay as you go

They had a special pre-cruise on my next sailing, but you had to purchase a non-alcoholic package for the 2nd person who doesn't drink. If I were to purchase once I get on board, I would have to pay full price and not get the special pre-cruise price.

It's not annoying to buy as you go...you simply sign the tab...that's all. No need to carry money around with you! If hubby only drinks included things, it will be cheaper for you to not have a package.

I thought the same thing.

Why is it annoying signing for a drink? Everyone did it all the time up until the last few years.

Just scribble your name and that's it.

You almost sound like you would rather waste the extra $400..

My wife doesn't drink and I like the odd run and coke and my bar bill last fall on Explorer of the Seas was only around $200 so defiantly would not have been worth buying a drink package even if i could have just purchased one. Yes they we expensive per say but I am on vacation [emoji16] and still better than buying a package.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app