Breakaway damage from Grayson storm

da'seaman

Yup I'm making it up. Plenty of minimizing around here.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Exactly what are you claiming that people say you made up?

The credibility of whatever actual damage people legitimately suffered has been undermined by the exaggeratons being publicized.

Not the people who can realize that the stories are not supported by photos and videos. What a person can see with his own eyes.

The CEO should have no say, none, zero, zilch. That is the issue. The navigation crew based on nothing but safety should be the only ones involved. I do see people blaming the passengers. I see them minimizing that they were scared. I see people saying there was just a little wind and water. Did you see the water pouring down the elevator shafts? Piss poor decision, sorry. I am a cruise guy, love them. This is not coming from hate, just what I see.

Interesting, so you think that the navigation crew should be the only ones involved? Are you going to stand by that declaration, or will you want to back-pedal when you consider that if they are the only ones involved, that means that the passengers get no say, the passengers don't need to be informed, the media gets no say, and the opinions of people on Internet forums is not relevant?

Saying that you won't cruise again or not with NCL is a good way to reduce the amount of any compensation. Why should NCL be "generous" with people who will never do business with them? The internet is already filled with negative posts, it's not going to get worse.
Bingo!

Interesting, so you think that the navigation crew should be the only ones involved? Are you going to stand by that declaration, or will you want to back-pedal when you consider that if they are the only ones involved, that means that the passengers get no say, the passengers don't need to be informed, the media gets no say, and the opinions of people on Internet forums is not relevant?
The navigation crew should be the only ones involved in the decision making it the safety of the ship they are in charge of. They are the ones with the responsibility of 4, 5, 6 thousand passengers in the actual situation. Look you guys think what ever you want. I think this was a piss poor decision. I didn't comment for quite a few days on this incident because I want to gather info, watch the videos, all of the ones I could find. My conclusion was this was a piss poor decision. You may think different.

Exactly what are you claiming that people say you made up?

The credibility of whatever actual damage people legitimately suffered has been undermined by the exaggeratons being publicized.

Not the people who can realize that the stories are not supported by photos and videos. What a person can see with his own eyes.

Look I'm just a guy that loves cruises and do not want to see anything bad happen. That's it. Thre cruise lines seem to be sailing into bad storms more frequently. I just don't want to see anything truly tragic happen. The ocean is the most powerful force on Earth. It can take down anything. A giant cruise ship is a pimple on the ocean. I just don't want anything bad to happen.

The navigation crew should be the only ones involved in the decision making it the safety of the ship they are in charge of. They are the ones with the responsibility of 4, 5, 6 thousand passengers in the actual situation. Look you guys think what ever you want. I think this was a piss poor decision. I didn't comment for quite a few days on this incident because I want to gather info, watch the videos, all of the ones I could find. My conclusion was this was a piss poor decision. You may think different.

Well then, if you believe that the navigation crew should be the only ones involved, then opinions of those outside of the navigation crew don't matter and should be kept to themselves. Can't have it both ways.

You think it was a piss poor decision, but you aren't a part of the navigation crew. You weren't on the bridge. You didn't see the information that was available to the decision makers. You are not trained or certified in marine navigation for large passenger ships. You have no foundation for your opinion which, by your own declarative statement, you have no right to make. (This is, btw, why I don't like declarative statements and attempt to take those who make them and slow walk them through it if only to point out the fallacies...some get it, others just dig in and keep arguing.)

People on the BA right now (that sailed from NYC on 1/6/18) said the waterslides and ropes course are all closed due to damage and need to be inspected. There is still a lot of damage and water around the ship.

And you are most certainly entitled to your opinion, no one can say otherwise. However, and not trying to insult you, the Captain of the ship is a certified career maritime officer with decades of experience and this storm was most certainly not his first rodeo. He also has other officers in the chain of command on board the ship who are obligated to inform him if they feel he is doing something way out of the norm and unnecessarily dangerous.

If people can't put their trust in the bridge crew then they should stay on shore.

The announcements were meaningless...the captain kept saying the same exact thing every time. They also did not update the navigation page on the tv with the current wind speed or wave size during the storm.
The point is some were saying there were no announcements, when in fact this couple said they came every few hours. You might not liked what he said, but now we know that he did say something, contrary to other posts. Sometimes being truthful with one's experiences will get them more than when they exaggerate! If those that said there were no announcements would have said, he had announcements, but we really wanted more indepth information during those announcements, I'd bet some on here would be a little less critical of the information that has been posted by some and probably believe more of what has been posted. Edited by NLH Arizona

I see how you like to focus on the announcements but no comment on the current state of the ship. This is what the captain said every single time he made an announcement:

"This is an update from the captain. Seas are still very rough, strong winds. Passage on any open deck including balconies is forbidden. We are optimizing by adjustments in course and speed to minimize movement of the vessel".

Not very informative!

Yup there is no such thing as corporate pressure. It didn't happen. I'm not flailing. I still feel the Captain and navigation crew make these decisions. Ever see Deepwater horizon? Corporate pressure, execs pushing, and a wear down of the employees is what caused that disaster. It happens.

So, then you actually don't have evidence that the CEO personally made the decision? Why didn't you just say so? Now we all know that this is nothing but supposition. :rolleyes:

BTW, it does nothing for your credibility to reference Hollywood. Deepwater Horizon is a dramatization (fancy word for fiction about an actual event) and not a documentary.

And yes, blurting "I'm not flailing" in the middle IS flailing. Thats part of why I love it so much. ;p

Again I will say that there were those who were scared or frightened, and there were those who were not, including one poster who slept through most of it, so all I will say is that it appears not to be the earth-shattering, end of the world event, otherwise there would be more consensus of experiences. Nuff said.

Now, lets get some facts straight.

The ship did not sail through the storm. How can I be sure? Because the height of the storm hit Maine Thursday evening (300 miles north of NYC), and BA did not arrive into NYC until Friday afternoon. So, unless they sailed through the storm, turned around, and sailed back through it, they could not have passed anywhere near close to the center of the storm. Also, as a previous poster mentioned, there are AIS tracking sites that allow anyone (not just NCL employees) to track a ship's position at sea, and you can then easily compare that track with the published storm track to see, again, that the ship followed behind the storm. Want further evidence? Which way was the ship listing? Reported on several posts on the closed threads that the ship was listing to starboard. This means the wind was coming from port, and with the ship heading north, the port side is to the west. So, winds from the west, around a low pressure (counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere), means the ship was below the storm center, trailing behind the storm. Let's put this to rest.

If someone wants to debate the Deepwater Horizon (and the movie was truly fiction), open another thread, and I will gladly debate this, as I have many years in the offshore oil industry, and am familiar with the drilling operations as well as the maritime operations and aspects of the incident, as well as being familiar with the investigation report. In fact, I worked for one of the predecessor companies that became Transocean. That was a case of the OIM (offshore installation manager, the USCG's oilfield equivalent of a ship's Master) did not use his overriding authority.

And now I see that the "announcement" argument has gone from "he never made an announcement", which is a statement of fact (which is obviously untrue, see post #70), to "his announcements were not informative", which is an opinion. So, the Captain apparently fulfilled his obligation to the passengers by making periodic, though in some peoples' opinion not informative enough), announcements regarding the safety of the vessel, but not about the amenities within the ship, which is way down on his priority list. Let's put this to bed as well.

I see that no notice was given to my statements regarding the Master's responsibility and authority under the ISM. If you think that the CEO could pressure the Captain to do something against the Captain's better judgement, then just know that should that happen, the company could have their ISM certification pulled, and guess what, without that, no country will allow your ships into port.

And still no proof of said missing balcony door.........I knew someone was exaggerating thier story...if I were on board with my kids Yes I would be concerned ' date='scared and upset that we sailing into the storm....but we choose to sail at this time of year and $h!t Happens...it was a bad storm we get it....stop making up stuff that didn’t happen .....[/quote']Just because you demanded proof with pictures and didn't get them does not mean it didn't happen. Perhaps they don't respond to demands or don't feel the need to prove anything to anyone. Why do you need to see proof anyway??? There were 4000 people with different experiences. It's not likely they will all be the same.

Wow, this couple said the Captain came on every few hours with announcements, while others say there were no announcements.
I see no way of knowing who is being accurate with their information. I really don't need the absolute truth and I don't know why anyone here is obsessed with it. People will always have slightly different sometimes completely different views of what happens when experiencing the same exact things. I believe there is a grain, perhaps more than a grain, of truth to all these stories. I choose to read between the lines, give the benefit of the doubt and let it be.

People on the BA right now (that sailed from NYC on 1/6/18) said the waterslides and ropes course are all closed due to damage and need to be inspected. There is still a lot of damage and water around the ship.
I sure hope they are working on it. Those water slides are the main attraction for those with kids. We are due to board for our 14 day on the 19th. Sure there are other things to do but my younger brother was looking forward to this activity quite a bit. Some people who have kids pick this ship for the water slides. That said, I surely don't want them to reopen them till they are safe.

Look I'm just a guy that loves cruises and do not want to see anything bad happen. That's it. Thre cruise lines seem to be sailing into bad storms more frequently. I just don't want to see anything truly tragic happen. The ocean is the most powerful force on Earth. It can take down anything. A giant cruise ship is a pimple on the ocean. I just don't want anything bad to happen.

Part of the problem is phrasing, by passengers and the media.

The Master did not sail INTO the storm. The ship was sailing behind the storm or it would have been even worse. Somebody trying to cash in will scream “we sailed into the storm!” and they have no idea what they’re talking about.

Here’s my issue: besides the dead horse that is this topic, NOBODY got injured. No deaths. No broken bones. So, people are scared, I’m sorry, but why are they still complaining?

If you don’t want anything bad to happen, stay off the ocean. Otherwise, get a more realistic view of “bad.” Death is bad. Injuries are bad. Scared is over rather quickly, unless you think you can make money from it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums