Breakaway damage from Grayson storm

da'seaman

I can understand people feeling scared with the water coming in and the wind howling. I will say though that the video portion of the thermal spa pool was meaningless. We were on the BA three weeks ago and it felt smooth as glass (even in 20ft seas), but when we were in the thermal spa the water in the pool was actually sloshing over the edge of the pool. So, you didn't need any kind of storm for the pool to be sloshing over the edge.

Just saying that no one in the video appears too terribly worried about much of anything, except slipping on wet decks.
Again with the attitude, everything is fine. It's like docking gently in Bermuda on a nice sunny day. Look at the shape of that ship, the damage. People I can guarantee were scared, kids were scared. It was a poor decision, period. Stop trying to minimize it. Everyone trying to minimize it should be ashamed of themselves. And I'll tell you another thing. The cruise lines are getting very, very arrogant in heading into too many bad storms. I love, LOVE, capital letters LOVE cruising, this is not coming from a hater. They keep doing this kind of BS, and something really bad is going to happen. Stop being nuckle heads, forgo some revenue on a cruise or two to keep the overall money train rolling. What comes after an actual disaster is not gonna be pretty.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just saying that no one in the video appears too terribly worried about much of anything, except slipping on wet decks.

I saw a different video,

They are not running around screaming for help, but people in the middle of the night sitting or even trying to sleep next to the elevators is at least a bit unusual. EDIT: please look at the whole video, there are more obviously scared people in it

Edited by AmazedByCruising
whole vid

I have no reason to believe that some people were afraid, especially non-seasoned cruisers, but when you have some saying that possibly the Captain wanted the ship to go down, because he might have gambling debts or problems at home and the Captain goes down with the ship and another suggesting that he may have been smoking somthing, I pretty much lose my sympathy for them. Do I think NCL should give them something, yes. Do I think they deserve a refund, no. Maybe 50% of the price of their cruise in a future cruise credit would be appropriate IMHO>

Again with the attitude, everything is fine. It's like docking gently in Bermuda on a nice sunny day. Look at the shape of that ship, the damage. People I can guarantee were scared, kids were scared. It was a poor decision, period. Stop trying to minimize it. Everyone trying to minimize it should be ashamed of themselves. And I'll tell you another thing. The cruise lines are getting very, very arrogant in heading into too many bad storms. I love, LOVE, capital letters LOVE cruising, this is not coming from a hater. They keep doing this kind of BS, and something really bad is going to happen. Stop being nuckle heads, forgo some revenue on a cruise or two to keep the overall money train rolling. What comes after an actual disaster is not gonna be pretty.

No real attitude. As I have said on the previous, closed, threads, there seems to be a fairly wide distribution of impressions from those who were onboard. Some were frightened, some were not. Some heard announcements, some did not. You may side with those who were frightened, I side with those who were not.

No real attitude. As I have said on the previous, closed, threads, there seems to be a fairly wide distribution of impressions from those who were onboard. Some were frightened, some were not. Some heard announcements, some did not. You may side with those who were frightened, I side with those who were not.
30 foot waves are scary. That is not normal.

30 foot waves are scary. That is not normal.

I watch for last minute deal closely during hurricane season.

Ship are made to handle a lot more than 30'ers.

I Love the felling of zero gravity as the deck drops so fast under your feet you arch your toes' trying to keep touching.

I have and will buy passage directly into a storm for a good price.

I watch for last minute deal closely during hurricane season.

Ship are made to handle a lot more than 30'ers.

I Love the felling of zero gravity as the deck drops so fast under your feet you arch your toes' trying to keep touching.

I have and will buy passage directly into a storm for a good price.

Yes, I say this all the time. The ship can handle 30 foot waves and worse, designed to, passengers aren't. I'm sorry but this was a poor decision based on monetary issues. They all do it. Anthem of the seas has had a few of these already. I hope it doesn't take a tragedy to wake the cruise lines up because it'll be too late. Sorry for sounding so gloomy but I love cruises and don't ever want to see something truly bad happen. Remember like boats for all weren't mandatory till a fateful tragedy in 1912. Even after that it took time.

I fully understand the concerns of the people who were on the ship during the storm because I have been in similar circumstances.

Was I scared? No

Was I concerned? Very much!!

The water blew out a window of an oceanview room on the deck I was on, and water came within about 50 feet of my cabin. The people who were in the cabin came out with dripping night clothes and life vests.

After the crew and security handled the situation, I went to get coffee, and the water from the pool was splashing up to the sliding roof. Water from the ocean was going over the top of that roof.

I held the table with one hand and my coffee cup with the other.

I have no time for those who try to make light of the terror voiced by those who experienced the storm, and also think it was foolish of the person who made the decision to take those people into the storm.

Did I take pictures? Hell no!!

Edited by swedish weave

The wind and rain/snow rough seas could make people scared. 40 ft. seas on a 1000 ft. ship really is not that rough. the Capt. new that. My wife took a trans Atlantic as a kid. Back then ships were transportation not a vacation.

The wind and rain/snow rough seas could make people scared. 40 ft. seas on a 1000 ft. ship really is not that rough. the Capt. new that. My wife took a trans Atlantic as a kid. Back then ships were transportation not a vacation.

And back then they were ocean liners not cruise ships.

Big difference!

Cheers,

Norman

I have been on probably 8 cruises....I LOVE cruising but I would have been a wimp and terrified. But that is how I roll:) That said.....I don't think NCL put anyone in danger over money...at least where I live the weather is never exact science and can change in a heartbeat. I do believe that it's not just that easy to divert or cancel or just end up at any port so between NCL management and captain they had made the best decision they could for everyone....i absolutely do NOT believe it was based on money. There is too much at stake with passengers and crew and ship. While it would be nice and I would be thrilled if I had got some kind of compensation I would not expect it. If we like it or not we are bound by the four corners of the contract and NCL has no obligation to compensate. Of course I would be upset if I didn't get the vacation I wanted and got the vacation that stressed me and NCL could have been more proactive on communication. NCL does annoy me with their lack of communication......but I do see that the majority of the staff does the best with the tools NCL gives them and I do applaud the staff especially of handling the best they could even if not can be said of corporate.

54957606[/url]]I have no reason to believe that some people were afraid' date=' especially non-seasoned cruisers, but when you have some saying that possibly the Captain wanted the ship to go down, because he might have gambling debts or problems at home and the Captain goes down with the ship and another suggesting that he may have been smoking somthing, I pretty much lose my sympathy for them. Do I think NCL should give them something, yes. Do I think they deserve a refund, no. Maybe 50% of the price of their cruise in a future cruise credit would be appropriate IMHO>[/quote'] A 50% refund of what they paid in cash not credit for another cruise....I heard many of them say they will never cruse again.

A 50% refund of what they paid in cash not credit for another cruise....I heard many of them say they will never cruse again.

Saying that you won't cruise again or not with NCL is a good way to reduce the amount of any compensation. Why should NCL be "generous" with people who will never do business with them? The internet is already filled with negative posts, it's not going to get worse.

I'm sure it was worrisome during this cruise, but I would consider it an adventure! What stories you would have to tell for years to come! The ship was still floating and everything ended well.

Yes, an adventure for sure.

We were on an "adventure" on the North Sea a few years ago. When it started captain said - "hang on, get pills for nausea at customer service, and .... Good luck!"

When over, he said "congratulations, you have bragging rights, you have just said through a category 2 hurricane". Waves up over our deck 10 balcony. And we did consider it an adventure.

And back then they were ocean liners not cruise ships.

Big difference!

Cheers,

Norman

I sailed the HMS Norwegian Dream cruise ship in 35' following sea's.

After Dream was cut in half with 100' added to her midship.

http://www.reflektion.info/assets/images/3035_090806_1_ca-pal_2-480.jpg

Twice her prop's came out of the water with a horrible shake and shudder in that storm.

Edited by biker@sea

This is the attitude I was talking about yesterday. You and everyone with this attitude should be ashamed of themselves, plain and simple. There were families on that ship, husbands and wives, with kids and babies. People who paid their hard earned money for a vacation and not only was it ruined but they had to be scared to death because of, let me say it again, MONEY. Don't tell me any different. For people to act like this is just how it goes and they chose a bad time to sail, give me a break. So if I sail in spring and this happens I have a bitch but if it happens in winter it's the passengers fault? I'm sorry this was a piss poor decision based on money, based on fear of lost revenue.

What? So the storm is NCL's fault? Weather happens...especially if you happen to cruise during winter leaving from the north or during hurricane season leaving from anywhere, really. Nobody is blaming the passengers. Sure people will be upset that they had their vacation ruined but what was NCL supposed to do? Breakaway idles away from the storm for an extra day or 2, the next vacation is ruined for a different 4000+ people, the current 4000+ miss their flights, chaos ensues. So I ask again what was NCL supposed to do? Suppose you're the CEO of the company...what do you choose?

What? So the storm is NCL's fault? Weather happens...especially if you happen to cruise during winter leaving from the north or during hurricane season leaving from anywhere, really. Nobody is blaming the passengers. Sure people will be upset that they had their vacation ruined but what was NCL supposed to do? Breakaway idles away from the storm for an extra day or 2, the next vacation is ruined for a different 4000+ people, the current 4000+ miss their flights, chaos ensues. So I ask again what was NCL supposed to do? Suppose you're the CEO of the company...what do you choose?
The CEO should have no say, none, zero, zilch. That is the issue. The navigation crew based on nothing but safety should be the only ones involved. I do see people blaming the passengers. I see them minimizing that they were scared. I see people saying there was just a little wind and water. Did you see the water pouring down the elevator shafts? Piss poor decision, sorry. I am a cruise guy, love them. This is not coming from hate, just what I see.

The CEO should have no say, none, zero, zilch. That is the issue. The navigation crew based on nothing but safety should be the only ones involved. I do see people blaming the passengers. I see them minimizing that they were scared. I see people saying there was just a little wind and water. Did you see the water pouring down the elevator shafts? Piss poor decision, sorry. I am a cruise guy, love them. This is not coming from hate, just what I see.

People are blaming the passengers? Be serious.

People are disgusted by outrageous exaggerations made by a small number of people who appear to be trying to cash in.

"I'm so scared that I need to interview myself and arrange to go on camera when we arrive to demand a full refund."

"My balcony is full of ice, inside and out." Accompanied by a picture of a sinking ship.

"Balcony door was torn off."

"Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode."

People are blaming the passengers? Be serious.

People are disgusted by outrageous exaggerations made by a small number of people who appear to be trying to cash in.

"I'm so scared that I need to interview myself and arrange to go on camera when we arrive to demand a full refund."

"My balcony is full of ice, inside and out." Accompanied by a picture of a sinking ship.

"Balcony door was torn off."

"Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode."

Yup I'm making it up. Plenty of minimizing around here.

News flash. As per the ISM (International Safety Management) code, promulgated by the IMO, and ratified by virtually every nation that borders the seas, and enacted into those countries' law by enabling legislation (including the US), gives the ship's Master "overriding authority" to make decisions regarding the safety of the ship, the crew, the cargo (passengers), and the environment. What does this mean? It means that the Master has the authority to make decisions that may be contrary to advice given to him by the company or any governmental or non-governmental agency (provided it does not violate the laws of that government). If the Master uses his overriding authority, he is in compliance with the ISM, and if the company takes action against him (when no fault or wrongdoing was found by any governmental agency) for using his authority, then the company, or its officers, are in non-compliance, and is subject to sanction.