NCL cancels pearl sailing oct 1

ledodeck01

This is what travel insurance is good for coverage of these non-refundable charges to deposits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always purchase cruise insurance, however, in this case, it does not also protect air tickets which we needed to also purchase. We will receive the deposits back for the cruise and the hotel is not an issue but to lose airfare unless we rebook with NCL at the time of cancellation is not pleasant. The 10% to rebook is laughable when I know in the past they have offered 25% to passengers of canceled cruises.

True, we know a cruise can be canceled by the cruise company but the issue comes hard to swallow when NCL knew they booked a charter and was not transparent by not telling customers.

We always purchase cruise insurance, however, in this case, it does not also protect air tickets which we needed to also purchase. We will receive the deposits back for the cruise and the hotel is not an issue but to lose airfare unless we rebook with NCL at the time of cancellation is not pleasant. The 10% to rebook is laughable when I know in the past they have offered 25% to passengers of canceled cruises.

True, we know a cruise can be canceled by the cruise company but the issue comes hard to swallow when NCL knew they booked a charter and was not transparent by not telling customers.

What! I wasn't told that the change fee for the airlines wouldn't be covered if I cancelled. I was told to fill in a request and the person on the phone then asked if I wanted to cancel the NCL booking. I said yes since you don't have anything else to offer me. I was told it takes about 3 days for them to go through the information I submitted on the airfare.

The change fee is more than I thought it was (apparently I was looking at old information) so it's $100 per person and I paid $230 for two tickets.

What! I wasn't told that the change fee for the airlines wouldn't be covered if I cancelled. I was told to fill in a request and the person on the phone then asked if I wanted to cancel the NCL booking. I said yes since you don't have anything else to offer me. I was told it takes about 3 days for them to go through the information I submitted on the airfare.

The change fee is more than I thought it was (apparently I was looking at old information) so it's $100 per person and I paid $230 for two tickets.

Hey thanks a bunch.

I am sure things will work out for you, but in the meanwhile remember, you are the one that says you like to take care of everything far in advance. This is your way of doing things and it can end up costing you in the long run. Air fare wise, as long as a person doesn't take the air/cruse package, I do not think they should expect to be re-embursed for any costs the cruiser has to endure.

You can be assured NCL knows what they are doing, if they are going to lose a lot of business they would not be doing this. They must have their reasons. Things like this do happen, that is why we rarely considering booking hotel and or air until a bit closer to sailing date. We are sailing out of Boston the first week of May. We have been watching prices but do not intend on booking our air or hotel until the first of next months. $ months in advance still gives us plenty of time to make all plans we need to make.

Not sure how the airfare is in your area but here in Philly if you don't book early the flights sell out or go up hundreds of dollars per person.

We could have gotten airfare for our upcoming cruise for $173pp. My niece who is cruising with us with her family of 5 this April. The airfare is now over $400pp.

At what point do you consider too early to book airfare? To avoid dealing with "too early" air booking dilemmas we should wait and pay extra money?

To avoid any problems with hotels I spend the extra $25 or so and get a room that is 100% refundable up until 24-48 hours before your stay.

We are on the Dawn from San Juan in December and we are getting ready to purchase our air as it will be much cheaper. If for some reason NCL decides to cancel our cruise before we sail I fully expect NCL to work with me with the air whether I book air with them or not.

Maybe my expectations are too high.

Bill

First off, I’m sorry about what is happening and I appreciate your comments on how you guys are working on this. After reading these stories I did some reading up on booking airfare through the cruise line. I have a $400 air credit for booking with Ncl on a very expensive Europe cruise. At first I was thinking that even if airfare ended up costing a little more, it might be worth it after reading your stories. It looks to me like there’s quite a few negatives booking cruise air. A positive would be that in the situation you guys are in you would not be out the $. But that’s about all. The cruise line owns the reservation. Sounds like Even if you purchase deviation you can certainly be out a cruise or portion of a cruise should something go wrong with the flight. Even premium, business and first cruise air can be highly restrictive tickets. I guess for maximum flexibility, purchase a fully refundable fare on your own- not through the cruise line. If this is cost prohibitive book a legacy carrier that will get you to destination even if they need to put you on a different airline. The budget Airlines such as southwest don’t have these agreements. It’s all pretty confusing when trying to plan ahead. Throw in potential cruise line charter of the ship and it becomes even more frustrating.

I received a call from NCL. The connection wasn't the greatest I could barely hear her when she talked. It sounded like she was following up on the message I wrote when I put in a claim for airfare. She apologised about the cancelling of the cruise and wanted to know if I had anything else to say.

First off, I’m sorry about what is happening and I appreciate your comments on how you guys are working on this. After reading these stories I did some reading up on booking airfare through the cruise line. I have a $400 air credit for booking with Ncl on a very expensive Europe cruise. At first I was thinking that even if airfare ended up costing a little more, it might be worth it after reading your stories. It looks to me like there’s quite a few negatives booking cruise air. A positive would be that in the situation you guys are in you would not be out the $. But that’s about all. The cruise line owns the reservation. Sounds like Even if you purchase deviation you can certainly be out a cruise or portion of a cruise should something go wrong with the flight. Even premium, business and first cruise air can be highly restrictive tickets. I guess for maximum flexibility, purchase a fully refundable fare on your own- not through the cruise line. If this is cost prohibitive book a legacy carrier that will get you to destination even if they need to put you on a different airline. The budget Airlines such as southwest don’t have these agreements. It’s all pretty confusing when trying to plan ahead. Throw in potential cruise line charter of the ship and it becomes even more frustrating.

We booked and purchased air insurance for our European trip this year. Thank goodness it all worked out. We had an issue with United when suddenly my husband's seat disappeared but his reservation was still intact! Calling with the usual vendor response of, "gosh I have no idea how that happened" finally resulted in both of us gaining new seats. This time we did not get insurance :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been an NCL cheerleader. I am posting this now because I am so disappointed in the way NCL has handled this cancellation. We booked this cruise along with my sister and her husband 1/19/2017. Just a week before we received notice of the cancellation I booked our airfare with American airlines. I only did it so early because I got a great price. I had taken the NCL insurance for the cruise, but was going to buy insurance that covers a lot more at website I have used before. I hadn't done that yet and in any case it would have cost more than I am losing with American anyway. I called NCL after I got the email like everyone else. I was also not given any good options, like everyone else. I was told that since American does not do changes for tickets that are under $200, I did not qualify for the airfare change fee reimbursement from NCL and I was just out of luck. I was referred to the guest services department where they told me the same thing. I filed a claim with them online anyway. The people in guest services were just as dismissing as the people from the email letter. I am posting the response I received from them. Please notice that I was told that I turned down the option of the 9 day cruise with a 10% discount. A cruise that doesn't even exist. Mr. Kalish didn't even take the time to find out the facts before he wrote his response. I am so disappointed in them. I hope you can open the pdf.

NCL response.pdf

You have got to be kidding me. What kind of letter is that. You are one of the few guests inconvenienced by this. Is the man clueless. And Option 1 would have been done by a lot of us if it had really existed.

This whole thing is getting more bizarre as time goes on. Now suddenly the Pearl is going out of Seattle to Alaska. Kind of like "oh oops the charter or what ever fell through".

That letter just absolutely infuriates me. And I haven't been as impacted as the rest of you. After my temper cools down I may just send an email to him and ask him what he was thinking.

I have always been an NCL cheerleader. I am posting this now because I am so disappointed in the way NCL has handled this cancellation. We booked this cruise along with my sister and her husband 1/19/2017. Just a week before we received notice of the cancellation I booked our airfare with American airlines. I only did it so early because I got a great price. I had taken the NCL insurance for the cruise, but was going to buy insurance that covers a lot more at website I have used before. I hadn't done that yet and in any case it would have cost more than I am losing with American anyway. I called NCL after I got the email like everyone else. I was also not given any good options, like everyone else. I was told that since American does not do changes for tickets that are under $200, I did not qualify for the airfare change fee reimbursement from NCL and I was just out of luck. I was referred to the guest services department where they told me the same thing. I filed a claim with them online anyway. The people in guest services were just as dismissing as the people from the email letter. I am posting the response I received from them. Please notice that I was told that I turned down the option of the 9 day cruise with a 10% discount. A cruise that doesn't even exist. Mr. Kalish didn't even take the time to find out the facts before he wrote his response. I am so disappointed in them. I hope you can open the pdf.

what does he mean what does he mean American Airlines has their own policy so they will not be reimbursing you?

Bill

It is rather obvious based on posts I read that NCL could care less what happens to those of us who lost money due to the cruise cancelation. I tried Facebook and even emailed several times to different addresses including the one (twice) that required documentation. No response which tells me my money is a drop in the bucket and my satisfaction with their product does not matter.

I've had two cruises on the Pearl booked that ended up getting cancelled for a Charter. Now I no longer even consider that ship when looking at cruises. I know it can happen with any ship, but the Pearl has done me in on booking and then cancelling. It won't stop me from cruising though :D

I would also like to cruise all the Jewel class ships, but the Pearl will be one of those last minute bookings after the final payment date to increase the odds that she will sail as advertised.

The "mystery of the Jewel ships daily changing itinerary". The magic 9-day is gone, the hotel is now canceled and waiting to find out just how the air change fee will work. Will NCL not pay it if I do not rebook? Will I ever see the money after I cancel my flight? If I rebook and the flight schedule is not available for the date I choose will NCL do nothing and not pay me at all?

Personally, I would like NCL to step-up and just tell the truth in one story not many tales or a new one story each hour depending on who you reach by phone. We have been longtime customers of NCL and yes, they can change the itinerary, and yes they can give notice whenever they choose to let you know but the shell game is causing my trust in their product to dwindle. Don't get me going on the sorry 10% or onboard credit offering.

I am disappointed that I brand I have been with for 15 years feels it is ok not to be upfront with their customers.

Contact the Boston Globe about how they are costing you money because they can't get their act together.

Contact the Boston Globe about how they are costing you money because they can't get their act together.

Actually, it's not a bad idea to contact the media on this. With the documented lies, it's easy for any consumer rights reporter to make a story painting Norwegian in a bad light on this. That negative press tends to open up the pocket books.

Just curious, why are some people talking about HAL options? Is it just that they have some cruises on the same dates so if you're already locked in on air and hotels, you can try and book those with your refunded money? Or is Norwegian offering to switch you (odd to me because they're not affiliated with HAL AFAIK).

Actually, it's not a bad idea to contact the media on this. With the documented lies, it's easy for any consumer rights reporter to make a story painting Norwegian in a bad light on this. That negative press tends to open up the pocket books.

Just curious, why are some people talking about HAL options? Is it just that they have some cruises on the same dates so if you're already locked in on air and hotels, you can try and book those with your refunded money? Or is Norwegian offering to switch you (odd to me because they're not affiliated with HAL AFAIK).

HAL is around the same dates but a longer cruise ending in San Diego vs LA. NCL offered the Bliss of course with Bliss cost but 10% on next cruise comes no where close to cost of Bliss. Also mentioned a 9-day cruise which never materialized before the date we had from NCL to switch or NCL would cancel and refund our deposit.

No media for me ;)

Was referring to another thread where the Boston Globe's not exactly factual reporting helped some senior citizens who misplaced their passports and missed the cruise get a full refund plus a free dream cruise. Good luck

We were also booked on this cruise,6 of us 3 cabins. Only because of the great price. Switched to the October 2nd ,14 day transatlantic from Copenhagen to New York for the same price as the new 5 day option which they offered at a 10% discount.

NCL use to take care of their passengers when issues like cancellations or disruptions occurred. Another company from China now owns them. They do not care about past passengers and their loyalty. They screwed me big time with this cruise. Would not change or help me at all. All you can do as a consumer is to no longer use the line to take cruises. Also spread the word to others what happened and encourage them not to book on this line. Will it put NCL out of business? Of course not. But at least you have the satisfaction of not giving them any more of your hard earned money. There are many other cruise lines that take care of there passengers when problems arise. Just cross NCL off your list and move on. I have.

I got a phone call today saying my proof wasn't good enough. They don't want proof you purchased tickets they want proof you have cancelled and were charged a change fee.

I tried telling them I would never have booked with the airline that I did if I wasn't doing a trip to LA. If I plan on going to Orlando I would use Alaska Airlines as I have their CC and get a companion rate of $99. My airfare cost $230 for two people and is direct from LAX to Vancouver.

NCL won't do a thing until I decide where I'm going and show them proof that it cost me money to change destination and or dates.

NCL use to take care of their passengers when issues like cancellations or disruptions occurred. Another company from China now owns them. They do not care about past passengers and their loyalty. They screwed me big time with this cruise. Would not change or help me at all. All you can do as a consumer is to no longer use the line to take cruises. Also spread the word to others what happened and encourage them not to book on this line. Will it put NCL out of business? Of course not. But at least you have the satisfaction of not giving them any more of your hard earned money. There are many other cruise lines that take care of there passengers when problems arise. Just cross NCL off your list and move on. I have.

I have one more cruise already booked which I will not cancel since it involves other family members that have planned this trip with joy including days in Honolulu. I also have one more cruise certificate which I plan to use. No sense allowing this debacle have me lose $250 on that certificate! I do have a bitter taste in my mouth and take this as a lesson learned that a short Pacific Coast cruise on NCL is never the way to go. I also know that NCL does not give a rat's "bottom". After all, it is not in the same customer service league with Nordstrom. It won't take away my joy with my loved ones when we board the next two cruises. This NCL cheerleader has hung up her pom-poms.

I got a phone call today saying my proof wasn't good enough. They don't want proof you purchased tickets they want proof you have cancelled and were charged a change fee.

I tried telling them I would never have booked with the airline that I did if I wasn't doing a trip to LA. If I plan on going to Orlando I would use Alaska Airlines as I have their CC and get a companion rate of $99. My airfare cost $230 for two people and is direct from LAX to Vancouver.

NCL won't do a thing until I decide where I'm going and show them proof that it cost me money to change destination and or dates.

My DH and I decided that our money is lost and chalked it up to what we may have spent on the cruise we were screwed out of. NCL will not make it up to us in any fashion. We also decided to limit our spending on the next NCL ship we sail together. Though it may not be much, in the final analysis, I feel it will make my heart feel better.

I think I have to agree with the poster that maybe going to the media might resolve this. It is just so ludicrous that people haven't gotten their deposits back and folks are being asked to prove they changed their flights. What if you have no idea where you want to go yet. And if you bought one of those non-refundable, non-change airline tickets than they need to step up to the plate and just refund those tickets.

MSC Cruiseline will match your status with other cruiselines. I just did that yesterday. I haven't cruised on them but a travel agent friend absolutely loves them.

So here this latest on my $100 deposit....NCL claimed that I never cancelled even though I did on 1/10 and I have e-mails from my agent showing the cancellation. NCL said that they will process my refund now and it will be another 5 - 7 days to show up on my credit card. Now I am not going bankrupt without the $100 but this to me is proof that this company cares zero about customer service. Even with proof that I cancelled on January 10th they are saying I didn't and are just now processing my refund, three weeks later. So if I am having a hard time getting my $100 back I hold little hope for those trying to get their airfare refunded. What a bad taste this leaves in my mouth! They are dumb as the bad publicity they are generating is worth way more than my $100! clear.png?emoji-mad-1709

So here this latest on my $100 deposit....NCL claimed that I never cancelled even though I did on 1/10 and I have e-mails from my agent showing the cancellation. NCL said that they will process my refund now and it will be another 5 - 7 days to show up on my credit card. Now I am not going bankrupt without the $100 but this to me is proof that this company cares zero about customer service. Even with proof that I cancelled on January 10th they are saying I didn't and are just now processing my refund, three weeks later. So if I am having a hard time getting my $100 back I hold little hope for those trying to get their airfare refunded. What a bad taste this leaves in my mouth! They are dumb as the bad publicity they are generating is worth way more than my $100! :mad:

I have a similar problem too

Norwegian canceled my Norwegian Gem 10 day cruise around 1/10. A day after i received the email, i called to cancel the booking. the booking was then removed my myNCL account. I never received an official email from NCL that i canceled my cruise. According to the email i received when my cruise was canceled, all booking would of been automatically canceled around 1/22 which is last week. Today its been around 3 weeks since i called to canceled my cruise and a wait when the booking should of been automatically canceled. I am still waiting for my refund. If i do get the refund later this week, i might have to call them up again and see whats going on.

UPDATE - After I calmed down I wrote Mr. Kalish an email pointing out how disappointing it was that he obviously didn't do any research at all before responding to me. I never expected to hear from him, but today I received an email saying that they had reconsidered my claim and as a gesture of goodwill they are going to reimburse us for the $325.40 we spent on the airfare. I don't know what changed his mind, but maybe when I responded to his letter, it made him take a second look. I have always been treated very, very well by NCL in the past and it is my favorite cruise line. They have redeemed themselves (at least to me) with this reimbursement. It is not the money that makes me happy, it is that they are doing the right thing now. I was always going to cruise with them again because I love cruising with them, but now I can do it without a lingering bad taste. Thank you NCL for reconsidering.