Live diary from the Regal Princess - Jan 14-28, 2018

lor74

We were on Regal Jan 21-28 and the weather was warm and sunny everyday. Breezy, though, at times. Entertainment was wonderful with four production shows -- the most I've ever seen for a 7 day cruise, and I have 20+ cruises with Princess. NORO virus was not obvious, but extra precautions were taken. We all remained healthy.

Our son and his wife were also onboard, their balcony cabin was on the opposite side of the ship but same deck (Marina). Son rented Sanctuary Bungalow on Princess Cays for the four of us. We did another catamaran excursion in St Marteen with them. Both were fun times! Seas became rough on Friday night but by Saturday night were calmer. It was a very enjoyable cruise for us!!

The second week was much better than the first! Keeping up with the theme of this entire vacation...after a long day of travel home, 2 of our bags were damaged. I received a credit for one and replacement for the other....par for the course on this trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll join the chorus of "thank yous" for taking the time to record your thoughts and observations about your cruise. We board on 2/18 and I like knowing things about the ship and the event in advance. We're in a room very near where you were and the "obsturctions" don't look overwhelming.

I appreciate your efforts. You've racked up a lot of good karma for having done this! :)

Hi really enjoyed reading your review, thanks for making the effort, gave me good insight into regal princess.....if you have time and inclination could you tell me if they still do B1g1 for $1 at certain times in some bars?

With thanks

It was 3-4pm and 10-11pm, not sure which bars!

Again, thanks for taking the time to do the updates. We look forward to our upcoming voyage on this ship and our 12th on both the Royal and Regal.

Edited by Grego
Correction on number of Royal Class voyages.

Thank you, lor74, for the daily travel log. Loved it and was very helpful the week before we boarded. Sorry your first week had such bad weather, and that your bags were lost/damaged on the way home. Hope you and Ro are feeling better!!

I have never had a well cooked lobster tail. Too often it is dry and very chewy, I prefer whole lobsters boiled and then focus mostly on the claws which to me are the best part of the lobster.

I get you. Even on our Disney cruises, the lobster tail was chewy. The first time I ever had a good lobster tail was on our last Carnival cruise. Who would have thought it?

. I just got us both done frozen coffees....everyone stares at you when you walk around with these!

I've really enjoyed reading your report. Thank you for sharing all the ups and downs of your cruise and food and Patter pictures. It was kind of uncomfortable/scary to read in some parts, because the things that happened to you and your wife can happen to anyone - illness, weather, bad meal at CR, indifferent cruise management - in spite of how experienced they are as cruisers. I think it's rare thing that you were able to report on all of the unfortunate experiences you had without sounding angry or whiny about them. One question. Why did people stare at you when you carried around the frozen coffees?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! We got home in one piece...even if the bags didn't. In the end I made whatever calls I needed to and have received all of my credits/refunds. Not everyone has coffee cards or is even aware you can get frozen, blended drinks. When you walk around with something like a frozen mocha topped with whipped cream....people look "I want one of those!"

I will be honest....the vacation did not play out as expected, which is disappointing considering the full year waiting for it and the co$t....but you still need to enjoy what you can in the moment, because in a flash it is over! We have had mostly good luck in our travels, and compared to the horror stories you hear from some other people, this was nothing!

It is bloody cold out here....everything is covered in ice....literally needed to skate from the Uber to the house with my luggage when we got home. I am still congested....back to work tomorrow.....I need a vacation [emoji12]

Thank you for such a good read! I cant believe all the time you spent sending all the great photos, menus, patters, answering questions. You're in the wrong business! You should be a travel agent, tour guide...something! We have been going to Maine each summer and really enjoy the fresh lobster. When I saw that lobster tail from the CG on your wife's plate (for her birthday dinner), I couldn't believe it! I even showed my husband the picture. Unbelievable! I've worked many years in food service and a plate like that is simply unacceptable. I'd be hesitant to send even a high quality tail to the table without some enhancement.

We were on the Regal last March and will be on the Royal this April. Looking forward to all there is to do on the ship. Anything beats the snow and frigid temperatures we've had this winter in Northwestern PA. Thanks again!

I get you. Even on our Disney cruises, the lobster tail was chewy. The first time I ever had a good lobster tail was on our last Carnival cruise. Who would have thought it?

We had it on Chef's table on the Royal and it was the best lobster I've ever eaten. So tender, melt in your mouth tender and so delicious. That's been my favorite chef's table of all the ones we've been on!

• 2 weeks later...
It was yummy[emoji12]

Italian night!

bfb9658d78b5a482d085b90c5a04bf52.jpg

cc099078a96537dfa5a7a65a82c76e67.jpg

Ior74 I was just rereading this review and realized that my manners stink! I asked if you could check on the price of gelato and then you posted this and I ignored replying with a heartfelt thank you!! My parents would be upset with me as they taught me better. I thank you for this posting. I am definitely planning on some gelato and I perhaps an alcoholic sundae as well. Again thank you even if I am terribly late with it.

:D Thanks for such a great review! I appreciated hearing the truth, sickness and all, though I'm sorry you had to go through that! Glad you made it home. We can't wait to escape on the Regal in about a month. Will NOT be going to falls in Jamaica (wasn't planning to anyway)! Also, thanks for posting the menus. Very helpful. Disappointing about the Crown Grill - I always look forward to eating there.

As someone from New England, lobster is not ordered in a restaurant! It is something to be eaten in the whole lobster form, at a lobster bake, served outside and eaten in shorts and a sweatshirt....lobster tail in a restaurant is generally dry, chewy and tasteless!