Infinity dry dock - pod problems?

aggiejeff

I saw that they had canceled the April 2nd cruise. I’m on the cruise before that one. Does anyone know what the problem is? I assume it is a pod issue, but you know what they say about assuming.

I remember when summit had pod problems last year some folks on here where able to see the speed the ship was traveling. Anyone know how to do that? Apparently the pods are a real problem for this class so ship.

I saw that they had canceled the April 2nd cruise. I’m on the cruise before that one. Does anyone know what the problem is? I assume it is a pod issue, but you know what they say about assuming.

It is a pod problem but they are still able to do 18 knots. Yes they did cancel the April 2nd cruise. We are doing a b2b2b starting on Feb.18th and the first leg they cancelled one port and have changed some of the hours we will be in other

ports. So far no changes on the other 2 cruises.

John

It is a pod problem but they are still able to do 18 knots. Yes they did cancel the April 2nd cruise. We are doing a b2b2b starting on Feb.18th and the first leg they cancelled one port and have changed some of the hours we will be in other

ports. So far no changes on the other 2 cruises.

John

Thanks John.

Thanks Beav. I had looked for other threads on this and saw the cancellation one for the April 2nd, but it didn’t have information on the specific problem.

Thanks Beav. I had looked for other threads on this and saw the cancellation one for the April 2nd, but it didn’t have information on the specific problem.

Glad your sailing is unaffected.

We've had two cruises cancelled on us due to the M-class pod problems. Once in 2003 (Infinity) with only 3 day's notice (!), and once on Millie (2013) with I believe 4-5 weeks notice.

Glad your sailing is unaffected.

We've had two cruises cancelled on us due to the M-class pod problems. Once in 2003 (Infinity) with only 3 day's notice (!), and once on Millie (2013) with I believe 4-5 weeks notice.

That terrible. It makes you wonder if they won’t start phases some of the m-class ships out when more of the edges classes come along. It is really a shame. I love the layout of those ships.

We board Infinity in Buenos Aires on Feb 4th but do not leave port till the evening of the 5th. I read that Rolls Royce is coming to Buenos Aires to do some repairs while we are in port. Perhaps that will be sufficient until April.

That terrible. It makes you wonder if they won’t start phases some of the m-class ships out when more of the edges classes come along. It is really a shame. I love the layout of those ships.

Just as an FYI, this has happened on all the M class ships numerous times since they were first launched. Celebrity even won a court case against Rolls Royce concerning the issue. It would not surprise me to see them get rid of the M class ships, I wonder if there's a CarFax for cruise ships, Celebrity's reports on M class ship will be lengthy.

We are on the Infinity April 17th for the 15 night Canal trip. Of course anything is possible but has anyone heard of a ship staying longer in dry dock than expected.

Is this just for propulsion issues or are they doing other things as well?

They normally will take advantage and preform some sort of maintenance anytime they are without passengers, however I am sure the primary focus will be the propulsion unit(s?). There really won't be any time to spare... they only have 16 days to leave FLL, go into the yard at Freeport, fix the problem, then sail to San Diego. The trip through the Canal to San Diego is about 9 days.

We are on the Infinity April 17th for the 15 night Canal trip. Of course anything is possible but has anyone heard of a ship staying longer in dry dock than expected.

Is this just for propulsion issues or are they doing other things as well?

We were on the cancelled April 2 cruise, and now are booked with you on the April 17 trip. I don't think I could take it if anything happens that disrupts the April 17 sailing! It could put us "refugees" over the edge. :D

We are on the Infinity at the moment and on a 14 day to Antarctica. Have missed a port due to propulsion problem then not in Ushuia until 4.30 in the afternoon had bypass Falklands islands due to large storm and heading to Montivedio for our last day just put me on land somewhere. I get the safety aspect no problem with that but 1 1/2 days in port for 14 days is not acceptable..

We are on the Infinity at the moment and on a 14 day to Antarctica. Have missed a port due to propulsion problem then not in Ushuia until 4.30 in the afternoon had bypass Falklands islands due to large storm and heading to Montivedio for our last day just put me on land somewhere. I get the safety aspect no problem with that but 1 1/2 days in port for 14 days is not acceptable..

Truly surprised that they took a ship with propulsion issues across the Drake. Not somewhere I would want to be with a propulsion failure.

Truly surprised that they took a ship with propulsion issues across the Drake. Not somewhere I would want to be with a propulsion failure.

Most definetly. We are just relieved we survived many many complaints on board poor staff working so hard to keep passengers happy.

Feelings on board are they should never have sent us out to Antarctica with propulsion problems. Keeping Port Stanley as a port with the boat problems should have not have happened. We both saw the storm and felt some of it, would have made more sense to have diverted sooner.

According to Captain Kate the M class ships aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Celebrity has just pumped a bunch of money in them and many passengers love them and hate bigger ships. Any ship with a Pod is prone to problems, they are inherit due to the design, usually bearings going bad. RCCL has a lots of issues with them on the Oasis Class ships. However, apparently on the newest version of Pods on the huge ships they are designed so the bearings can be replaced without a drydock but I think that didn't start unitl the Harmony.

I agree, that's a lot of sea days, so unfortunate that the bad weather knocked out a second port. At least from the pictures I've seen, you've had some amazing scenery/photo ops anyway

Most definetly. We are just relieved we survived many many complaints on board poor staff working so hard to keep passengers happy.

It has to be terribly hard on the crew, BRAVO to those men and women who haven't caught a break for most all of this voyage, they have got to be pooped with so little port time

Just as an FYI, this has happened on all the M class ships numerous times since they were first launched. Celebrity even won a court case against Rolls Royce concerning the issue. It would not surprise me to see them get rid of the M class ships, I wonder if there's a CarFax for cruise ships, Celebrity's reports on M class ship will be lengthy.

Here is a link about the problem from Jan 2010

https://www.ship-technology.com/uncategorised/news74256-html/

Happy cruising 🇺🇸🚢🌊🌅

We board Infinity in Buenos Aires on Feb 4th but do not leave port till the evening of the 5th. I read that Rolls Royce is coming to Buenos Aires to do some repairs while we are in port. Perhaps that will be sufficient until April.

That's good to know, thanks for the info

From what I have read, Rolls Royce is coming on March 4-5 when the ship overnights in BA. This is why all the itineraries including the Feb 18th sailing have been notified of changes. I do not think the Feb 4 cruise to Rio for the carnival is impacted as the distance traveled is not that far. Time will tell.

They normally will take advantage and preform some sort of maintenance anytime they are without passengers, however I am sure the primary focus will be the propulsion unit(s?). There really won't be any time to spare... they only have 16 days to leave FLL, go into the yard at Freeport, fix the problem, then sail to San Diego. The trip through the Canal to San Diego is about 9 days.

Hopefully the crew will be well rested and the bars will be fully stocked when they arrive in San Diego on the 17th.;)

Last April the Summit had an emergency dry dock to change a Pod. Only took about 3/4,days.

Like others have said other ships have Pod issues as well. 2 years ago the Freedom of the Seas limped around for months waiting for a Jan dry dock to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last April the Summit had an emergency dry dock to change a Pod. Only took about 3/4,days.

Like others have said other ships have Pod issues as well. 2 years ago the Freedom of the Seas limped around for months waiting for a Jan dry dock to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interestingly enough we were on the Summit Cruise after the dry dock for the Pod issue and now are on the Infinity for the cruise (hopefully) before the dry dock for the pod problem. Maybe I need to quit scheduling M class cruises. But, we do love the ships.