3 week out ....... have i forgotten anything?

MrsTabs

As the title says 3 weeks out from our very first cruise and I am a bit of a 'stressy' traveller - I am ok once I have got there I just stress on the getting there part

So we are flying from the UK - flying into JFK one day early in case of any delays- we have the plane tickets and seats booked, have our travel insurance, have our passports, have our ESTA's and have printed our cruise and pre cruise hotel/transfer details from the NCL website, travel money is in hand and credit cards ready and empty

am I forgetting anything important?? I mean documentation wise rather than packing - help put my mind at rest please

Many thanks

Vicki

I can't think of anything you've forgotten, but just want to say CONGRATULATIONS!! I want to do a transatlantic as well one day, maybe my next cruise. Which ship are you travelling on? Please post review afterwards. God bless, and have a great time!

Have you informed your credit card companies that you will be traveling? It's always a good idea to do so! That way, you don't risk your card being shut down for assumed "fraud"!

Yeah I called them and they said no need to tell them! We try and use them at the airport on the way out so if they look they can see we have flown somewhere else!

I always make copies of my passport and the back of my credit cards, I leave one set with someone at home and bring the other, that way if there's any theft you have a copy of the bank's phone number to call and you have your passport information. (I leave my copies in the room safe) My DH thinks this is overkill but if there's ever an emergency it might come in handy.

I always make copies of my passport and the back of my credit cards, I leave one set with someone at home and bring the other, that way if there's any theft you have a copy of the bank's phone number to call and you have your passport information. (I leave my copies in the room safe) My DH thinks this is overkill but if there's ever an emergency it might come in handy.

Now that is a very handy tip that I will be following thank you very much

Yes,I do something similar as well. Never needed it, thank goodness...but for about 5 minutes of extra work, it is sure worth it, I think.

You said you are bring $50 in $1 bills for tips, and then mentioned that you're bringing other currency. Did you mean US currency? It sounds like you're in the US itself for a very short time, so you should be good. But on many of the islands, they are happy to see real US currency too and not all vendors take plastic. Not sure if you are a souvenir shopper, but if you might be inclined, perhaps some extra US for this as well?

I take a listing of the medicines that I (and my husband) take .... I also take a listing of medicines, food, etc. that I am allergic to ... as I know if I have any sort of reaction DH will never remember my allergies!

Sounds as if you have been given good information from others .... enjoy your cruise! Jan

PS - I print out our itinerary from the time we leave home to getting back and it goes in a plastic holder on our luggage. Helped when we went to San Juan and our luggage went to Shanghai

Yes,I do something similar as well. Never needed it, thank goodness...but for about 5 minutes of extra work, it is sure worth it, I think.

You said you are bring $50 in $1 bills for tips, and then mentioned that you're bringing other currency. Did you mean US currency? It sounds like you're in the US itself for a very short time, so you should be good. But on many of the islands, they are happy to see real US currency too and not all vendors take plastic. Not sure if you are a souvenir shopper, but if you might be inclined, perhaps some extra US for this as well?

yes we are taking more US dollars with us for anything else

I take a listing of the medicines that I (and my husband) take .... I also take a listing of medicines, food, etc. that I am allergic to ... as I know if I have any sort of reaction DH will never remember my allergies!

Sounds as if you have been given good information from others .... enjoy your cruise! Jan

PS - I print out our itinerary from the time we leave home to getting back and it goes in a plastic holder on our luggage. Helped when we went to San Juan and our luggage went to Shanghai

the luggage thing is another great tip thank you! Luckily hubby only takes 1 medication and is only allergic to 1 thing - I am mostly fine so he doesn't have to remember much which is a good thing

Hope y'all have a wonderful time. We were just going to do one cruise. That was 20 cruises ago. The Gem is one of the Jewel class ships. They are our favorites, just the right size for us. I haven't been on the Gem, but assuming like the others it has a Great Outdoors and a forward deck 13 Spinnaker observation lounge bar. We like both of those. Also don't overlook the bridge viewing room, deck 11, port side forward. Again, assuming the Gem is so equipped. You'll be in for some chilly weather this time of year still as you first head south out of NYC. Hopefully, you warm up quickly. Not to imply its frequent because all of these ships are very stabilized, but you might want to determine what motion sickness device or medication you might like to bring with you if you feel it would be necessary, being you first experience on a cruise. However, usually these ships feel like you are just standing still inside a hotel room on land. .

AW MrsTabs have a great time. I did the same trip from the UK last March. I was a day out of a leg cast when my surgeon said go for it. I thought I was going to have to cancel the trip. BA were amazing on the flight to JFK and back, lovely bed seats on the plane, tyvm upgrade fairy. I loved the Gem, apart from the seas back to NY. I was lucky enough to be in the Haven and I was treated like royalty but I was in awful pain though for the whole cruise and did not really apprecate it fully. My lovely hubby has just booked me a suprise cruise from NY in April to make up for last years spring time cruise. I am on my 2 feet now, not a wheelchair in sight.

MrsTabs although hubby has only 1 med keep half of it in seperate carry-ons xx

You guys are great - I feel a bit better now ( I will still stress I always do) but you have put my mind at rest and given some fabulous suggestions

So thank you to each and every one of you!!

This forum has truly been the best thing I have found since booking my cruise

Having only done land based holidays before hopefully I will be converted, will report back after we have been!

yep got them I got about 50 dollars in 1 dollar bills do you think that will be enough? ( this is not all the money I am taking just money for tips)

The guest service desk in the atrium can give change of different denominations, US dollars, if you find you need that. Don't know if they can convert currency though.

From one OCD travel planner to another this is the time to stop planning and start getting excited - if my DH hears me go through the plan for our next trip once more he might A) go into a coma or B) actually remember which airport we are flying from. Enjoy your trip.

yep got them I got about 50 dollars in 1 dollar bills do you think that will be enough? ( this is not all the money I am taking just money for tips)

You will need about $2 per bag per touch (bellhop, porter), dollars for room service, and we ended up tipping a lot of bartenders, partly habit, partly to get unopened beer for DH to bring back to the cabin. Cash for street vendors in NYC, but you wont need dollar bills. When I travel, I like to have small bills so I don’t have to ask or wait for change. Where are you headed? Out last cruise was the Gem to the Bahamas (favorite ship so far), and although they take US money, they don’t give it back if you need change.

Is Martinique on your itinerary? We are on the Gem March 17,and that is one of the ports.

The currency there is Euros.

The various ports' local currency varies by country. However, I've yet to see a port that the locals and the port's local area don't expect and accept US dollars as the primary currency expectation. No need for currency conversion.