Cruise Critic Community
sueleekey

All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I sailed on AMAStella back in 2016 and loved it.  I was just on Uniworld and loved it too.  I am now looking to AMA again.

Prices for Uniworld for the spring are very high and I found a cruise with AMA on the Douro...…..new ship too. Ama Douro......

I will be in Barcelona and will fly to Lisbon for 3 nights pre-cruise before sailing. Hoping it all comes together:classic_biggrin:

Great choice!  The AmaDouro is a beautiful ship. I always love to read about the Douro because there was very little information about it when we were planning our cruise- probably because it is a smaller ship on a smaller river. (As it turns out, this is one of the reasons why we ended up enjoying it so much. We got to know most everyone sailing and we made real friends that we keep in touch with). We sailed AmaDouro in June and we can't wait to do another! The Lisbon precruise was a great addition and we almost didn't do it but were so happy that we did. Happy to answer any questions! 

5 minutes ago, cazbg said:

Great choice!  The AmaDouro is a beautiful ship. I always love to read about the Douro because there was very little information about it when we were planning our cruise- probably because it is a smaller ship on a smaller river. (As it turns out, this is one of the reasons why we ended up enjoying it so much. We got to know most everyone sailing and we made real friends that we keep in touch with). We sailed AmaDouro in June and we can't wait to do another! The Lisbon precruise was a great addition and we almost didn't do it but were so happy that we did. Happy to answer any questions! 

Hi, thanks for the reply:classic_smile:. I called AMA today and was told they had ONE cabin left for the date I want...….they are

holding it for me!   Their offices are in Calif and the rep who will be helping me was on her way out the door LOL....she emailed me and said she would call me Monday.

Were you pleased with the tours, food and were the other guests pretty friendly?

Just now, Lois R said:

Hi, thanks for the reply:classic_smile:. I called AMA today and was told they had ONE cabin left for the date I want...….they are

holding it for me!   Their offices are in Calif and the rep who will be helping me was on her way out the door LOL....she

emailed me and said she would call me Monday.  Were you pleased with tours and food?

We were very happy with the tours and the food- lunch was our favorite!  Regional foods which we loved trying, a pasta option each day, fresh soups and breads, always fruit and cheese and salads. And a wonderful dessert bar. (Don't miss the fresh ice cream each day. OH MY! I miss it!)  Of course the sit down dinner each night had several choices, as well.  We were never hungry! 🙂 

The tours were very interesting. If you do a search on here, there is a wonderful trip report done by a member with each day/tour detailed. I found it to be most helpful when planning.  

I loved our AMA rep and she was very helpful at every stage of planning! 

Thanks for the reply:classic_biggrin:.  I am celebrating my upcoming retirement and this is  part of it LOL...….I am

retiring at the end of the year. I have a Caribbean cruise booked for January and then will probably take another

cruise in March for my birthday.  THEN...I have a TA crossing booked for April (16 nights)...Miami to Barcelona. Arrives on April 22nd.

The land part of the River cruise starts that same day in Lisbon.....so, I would fly from

Barcelona to Lisbon (looks like it is only an hour flight and cheap!). 

Loris R,  best of luck with your retirement.  Job well done.  Enjoy all your upcoming cruises

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Loris R,  best of luck with your retirement.  Job well done.  Enjoy all your upcoming cruises

Thanks so much😁

Ok...I am putting my deposit down on the Douro cruise:classic_smile: And I must say, the gal at AMA was extremely nice too.

And their offices are near the fires in California...….sending all my best to those in that literal crossfire:classic_sad:

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, 2nucruisers said:

Good morning, I am now in the process of getting from Barcelona to Lisbon:classic_biggrin:.  I have a cruise booked before this

River cruise. It is a TA crossing that ends in Barcelona. Looks like TAP has multiple flights to Lisbon and prices are

very good.  There is a 10:30am flight and then another one at 12:50. Think I will take that 2nd flight and when I

spoke with AMA, she said they have a transfer from the airport to the hotel.

LorisR.   looks like you have everything under control.  How many sea days will you have on the TA?

Good morning...…well, the first 8 are all sea days. Leaves Ft. Lauderdale on April 6th. The first

port is in Funchal, Portugal.  Then another sea day. Then in  Sevillle for 2 days, then Gilbrater, Malaga and

then another sea day. Then the next day is arriving in Barcelona.  16 nights.

AF1, you are adding a letter to my name:classic_wink:.....no r in Lois:classic_biggrin: I know you didn't realize it when you were typing.

My appology;  You are correct I did add an extra r to your name.  Still have a great cruise

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

My appology;  You are correct I did add an extra r to your name.  Still have a great cruise

Apology accepted:classic_biggrin:......better than some names I have been called LOL...…...

I have part of my trip booked...got my flight from Barcelona to Lisbon taken care of....now I have to get from

Porto to Madrid post cruise.  I will look at the train and air. I am staying in Madrid for 2 days so also need to find

a hotel too!