HAL Navigator

CM1984

I read on the HAL website that this 'mobile friendly tool' also provides the option to chat with fellow travelers. Does anyone know if this would be similar to texting, but in airplane mode?

And there are no charges for using this on your phone.

No charges. You put your phone in airplane mode, activate wifi (which is just their internal internet), and then type in navigator @ Holland America. You will have to register and put in a password (4 digits) and then you can access your account, too. Chat will be there, and you can access anyone on the ship if you know their name. Just type in your message, and it will appear on their device - I suppose that person will have to have opened their own account on the site.

The only thing it does not do is make a sound to notify you that you have a message. It just shows up as a little number in red on your chat icon.

This is great, we had used a Carnival App that provided the messaging, so I'm so glad we have that option on our next cruise. It comes in so handy to find where friends are & when DHs are still asleep, us girls can go out and about!

I used the Navigator App on the NA in December and I didn't remember a chat option. I look forward to using it on my future cruise next January. I have to say, I did find the times for things to be off from the daily sheet they gave us. The trivia times often did not match up and the dates and times the future cruise rep was supposed to be there also were incorrect many times, not that he was actually there at the times the sheet said either. Did anyone else experience this?

I used the Navigator App on the NA in December and I didn't remember a chat option. I look forward to using it on my future cruise next January. I have to say, I did find the times for things to be off from the daily sheet they gave us. The trivia times often did not match up and the dates and times the future cruise rep was supposed to be there also were incorrect many times, not that he was actually there at the times the sheet said either. Did anyone else experience this?

We were on the Zaandam last month and also noticed the times listed in the Navigator were not always correct. Most events were listed at the proper time, but I did notice a couple of events, including one time for getting tender tickets, were off. I learned to always confirm the time with the printed When & Where.

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, raesive said:

Does anyone know if you have to wait to create your account until you're on ship? I downloaded to play with it (cruise isn't until April) and it tells me "invalid credentials" when I try to create an account. 

I believe you do need to wait.  I'm currently on the NS and my cabin number is part of my login ID.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, What was that? said:

And, for those engineers on board, here is a link to the page on the HAL site that describes this feature: https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=HAL_Navigator&showHeader=true&showFooter=true

HAL needs to proofread - Under My Account, Onboard is spelled "Onbard"

11 hours ago, raesive said:

Does anyone know if you have to wait to create your account until you're on ship? I downloaded to play with it (cruise isn't until April) and it tells me "invalid credentials" when I try to create an account. 

Yes, because it only connects to a page on the ship LAN, which is not accessible on the internet.