Tequila!

beached<3mermaid

There used to be a limited of 2 per person (over 21) but with the change in customs you can bring multiple bottles from the Caribbean for personal use. I’m not sure what the limit is but on our cruise this past December we brought 6 bottles back and did not need to claim them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm aware that most anything can be googled these days. But the reason for this forum is to gain information from others who may have firsthand knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Here you go, easy to find out..

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-%28including-homemade-wine%29-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

I'm aware that most anything can be googled these days. But the reason for this forum is to gain information from others who may have firsthand knowledge.

But how is your question specific to NCL, which is what this forum is for.

There used to be a limited of 2 per person (over 21) but with the change in customs you can bring multiple bottles from the Caribbean for personal use. I’m not sure what the limit is but on our cruise this past December we brought 6 bottles back and did not need to claim them.

Thank you! On our previous 2 cruises, we've only brought back 2 bottles, total, each time... because we believed that was the total allowed. We were unsure of the taxable allowances. But this time we wanted to determine what we could return with, regardless of duty free. The 100% Agave in Mexico is ridiculously smooth. I was NOT a tequila drinker until experiencing it on our very first cruise in 2016. Now I'm hooked! 😉

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol you can bring in. You are allowed 1 liter duty free, but unlimited bottles if you pay the duty on the others, which often is still a bargain.

Some states have limits on the amount of alcohol you can import. You’d need to check with your state about that, but there’s no federal limit.

Our DCL cruise many years ago was having a special on Crown Royal for $11/liter. We brought back 10 of them. They were $12.10 per bottle when paying the 10% duty. Still a huge bargain!

Greetings

You are allowed more if purchased in the US Virgin Islands.

Good Sailing

Tom

So,,, this does absolutely nothing to help the OP. How much can they bring in?

although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more.

So,,, this does absolutely nothing to help the OP. How much can they bring in?

although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more.

Greetings

You can bring 5 liters/person from the Virgin Islands as long as 1 liter is a Virgin Island product.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will allow you to enter the U.S. with up to five liters of alcohol duty-free as part of your exemption - as long as at least four liters were purchased in the insular possession, and at least one of them is a product of that insular possession. Additional bottles will be subject to a flat duty rate of 1.5% and subject to Internal Revenue Service taxes.

As a general rule, travelers to Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI)countries are allowed a $800 duty-free exemption on their return to the U.S. You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the CBI countries.

Good Sailing

Tom

As a general rule, bring back what you want, just make sure you list it.

Years ago I was told by a customs guy that they generally ignore anything under 12 bottles for 2 adults, meaning their magic number was 11 or less. Brought back 10 bottles from one cruise at Port Canaveral, got stopped and had to pay the taxes on what we bought extra.

I walked away extremely pissed. Not because I had to pay the taxes or over what the taxes were. I was pissed about the amount of my tax dollars wasted.

For my extra bottles it took just over an hour for 2 people to decide that I owed like $11 and some change. So I was basically pissed that we (taxpayers) paid over $30 to get $11 in taxes.

Also, it was some fairly expensive alcohol, 2 bottles of which were not imported into the US at the time. The taxes were based off the listed alcohol content, not the prices of the bottles.