MSC Seaside -- friend onboard with possible flu outbreak

cruisemavenog

I am considering cancelling my trip (Feb 17, 2017 sailing) because of a flu outbreak on the MSC Seaside currently:o.

My friend who is onboard notes that the crew is being particularly sanitary cautious in public areas (wiping down with disinfectant, etc).

According to my friend, no less than 10 people have departed the ship to seek medical aid in the local hospital.

Will post again when I hear from my friend.

Feeling uneasy about continuing with my travel plans. Good thing I purchased the travel insurance.

By law it has to be reported the CDC/USPH when and if it reaches a certain percentage just like Noro Virus. If that happens it will likely make the news, especially locally here in Miami.

This year is one of the worst flu outbreaks since they started keeping records. Yes flu outbreaks will happen on cruise ships just like anywhere else in the world. If you're that concerned you should stay home.

I'm sorry for your friends but I doubt they know of how many passengers have actually left the ship for local hospitals. That information is not public and the cruise line will certainly not advertise it. More likely just hearsay which tends to be exaggerated as it spreads its way around the ship.

Thank you coolguyinrol and eroller for calming my fears.

Being that I am 83 years of age and the scary flu statistics this year, I was more than a little shaken. I don't want my "time to be up" yet.

I completely understand!

I‘m a nurse and personally paranoid about the flu right now. Every time someone sneezes around me (staff, that is), I ask them to put a mask on. Thankfully most people at work are doing the right thing ( stay at home or mask). On some days I decide to wear a mask, as well.

The flu on a ship is a serious concern imo.

You could try to change your cruise to a different time- flu season ends in March.

If you go, take a pack of medical masks just un case. If you notice lots of people sick 😷, put your mask on. Avoid the buffet as people breathe and sneeze on displayed food. And wash wash wash your hands. Wipe off the surfaces you touch with bleach wipes. Wash wash your hands (can’t be overstated).

Sounds like the crew currently are doing their best to keep everyone healthy. Kudos to MSC.

I‘m going on a cruise with my elderly mother in a couple of weeks, as well.

Can’t say that we didn’t have the same concern.

eroller;

In fact, the cruise ship is not required by law to report influenza-like illness (ILI). The CDC requests that ships make a report of cumulative ILI (even if the number is zero) like they are required to do for gastro-intestinal diseases (like noro), but it is not required. Similarly, they request a report when the ILI cases result in either hospitalization or reaches .138% of passengers, but again, this is not required.

eroller;

In fact, the cruise ship is not required by law to report influenza-like illness (ILI). The CDC requests that ships make a report of cumulative ILI (even if the number is zero) like they are required to do for gastro-intestinal diseases (like noro), but it is not required. Similarly, they request a report when the ILI cases result in either hospitalization or reaches .138% of passengers, but again, this is not required.

Well then I stand corrected. Different than what I was told during a bridge tour by a ships officer during a Q&A.

Thank you coolguyinrol and eroller for calming my fears.

Being that I am 83 years of age and the scary flu statistics this year, I was more than a little shaken. I don't want my "time to be up" yet.

I work in a ICU setting at a large hospital. Not trying to cause you fear, but this years flu is a bad one. Even more so for the elderly. Just be cautious.

I am considering cancelling my trip (Feb 17, 2017 sailing) because of a flu outbreak on the MSC Seaside currently:o.

My friend who is onboard notes that the crew is being particularly sanitary cautious in public areas (wiping down with disinfectant, etc).

According to my friend, no less than 10 people have departed the ship to seek medical aid in the local hospital.

Feeling uneasy about continuing with my travel plans. Good thing I purchased the travel insurance.

there is no way your friend can know how many people sick. Even so 10 out of 5000 is not outbreak . Crew on MSC always clean and sanitize all areas its has nothing to do with flu.

The entire World is experiencing a fairly severe flu outbreak right now. Why your friend seems to think they know why 10 people left a ship is beyond me. How would they know all 10 people left because they have the flu? These types of post instill fear in common folk. Take your vitamins, wash your hands, observe if people around you seem sick and stay away from said people. MSC Seaside has nothing to do with this.

I would tend to agree, its pure speculation, on that number leaving ship for Hospital. I'm sure ship Doctor is monitoring and passengers may be stuck in their room for a few days (worst case). Lots of logistic issues when passengers get admitted to a foreign hospital and the ship departs. IMO....it would have to be a very serious illness for this to happen.

eroller;

It is so nice to have a firsthand knowledgeable poster on this board. Thanks chengkp!

The entire World is experiencing a fairly severe flu outbreak right now. Why your friend seems to think they know why 10 people left a ship is beyond me. How would they know all 10 people left because they have the flu? These types of post instill fear in common folk. Take your vitamins, wash your hands, observe if people around you seem sick and stay away from said people. MSC Seaside has nothing to do with this.

Agreed. We are boarding on Saturday. I'm not worried any more than I am around here where I know many people with the flu. As a few have mentioned, wash, wash, wash. We are in YC, so less crowded and even less concern.

If I was 80ish and my general health was compromised I might consider staying home during flu season. You can get sick anywhere.

Unless you purchased a Cancel for Any Reason policy or are sick yourself, your travel insurance will not cover you for a possible outbreak on the ship.

Bret

Bret, I know you are a travel agent but I respectfully disagree. It is quite simple to work around cancel for any reason policies. Most insurances only require a Dr's note indicating that travel is not recommended. Given the flu season this year, the close quarters of a ship environment (not to mention air if required), just about any Dr. in the US would be willing to write such letter (especially to an 83 year old woman).

OP: I'm not saying you SHOULD cancel, I'm just suggesting that if you want to cancel, you can most likely get it covered by insurance. Of course, it goes without saying to check your insurance policy carefully, but I've never seen a single policy that doesn't accept a Dr's note.

Not to minimize Op's fears as this year's outbreak has been pretty bad, partly because it isn't fully covered by this year's flu shot.

But..

How is that different than home? Flu is everywhere this year, partly because even those who were vaccinated are catching it.

Not to minimize Op's fears as this year's outbreak has been pretty bad, partly because it isn't fully covered by this year's flu shot.

But..

How is that different than home? Flu is everywhere this year, partly because even those who were vaccinated are catching it.

Close proximity of people. It's much easier to spread the flu when 5,000 plus people are confined. Things like stairway railings, elevator buttons, etc... Not to mention if you do buffet eating. It's like Noro, you CAN catch it anywhere, but you are more likely to catch it in confined areas with a lot of people.

Bret, I know you are a travel agent but I respectfully disagree. It is quite simple to work around cancel for any reason policies. Most insurances only require a Dr's note indicating that travel is not recommended. Given the flu season this year, the close quarters of a ship environment (not to mention air if required), just about any Dr. in the US would be willing to write such letter (especially to an 83 year old woman).

I do see your point but are missing something important. There has to be medical records to back up that medical decision for something that has occurred, as part of the doctor's "note" asks for the diagnosis. It can't be based on a "possible" outbreak in the future. Otherwise, the doctor should advise no grocery store, no hair salon, no anything outside of the house. Unfortunately, don't think any insurance company is going to pay based on a maybe. I could be wrong but that's just MHO. Can you imagine all the seniors going on cruises asking their doctors for notes and turning them in to their travel insurance company for cancellations because they might get the flu? I actually would kind of like to see that as a social experiment though. One way to turn the greedy insurance companies on their heads. :D

Bret

The cruise director allegedly had the flu for the first couple days last week, but has been out of quarantine since then. I haven't noticed lots of sick people or heard of any outbreaks. Areas are constantly being cleanen/sanitized. But I haven't seen any special precautions typical for an outbreak

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I do see your point but are missing something important. There has to be medical records to back up that medical decision for something that has occurred, as part of the doctor's "note" asks for the diagnosis. It can't be based on a "possible" outbreak in the future. Otherwise, the doctor should advise no grocery store, no hair salon, no anything outside of the house. Unfortunately, don't think any insurance company is going to pay based on a maybe. I could be wrong but that's just MHO. Can you imagine all the seniors going on cruises asking their doctors for notes and turning them in to their travel insurance company for cancellations because they might get the flu? I actually would kind of like to see that as a social experiment though. One way to turn the greedy insurance companies on their heads. :D

Bret

I absolutely hear what you are saying and appreciate your contributions. But a diagnosis can run the gamut, from a sore throat to anxiety. Not saying it’s “right”, but I’m betting that this lovely 83 year old ladies doctor can easily find a diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After being aboard 2 weeks ago this does not surprise me. The crew are diligent and things are clean , it's the passengers who lack common sense hygiene habits. Msc definitely needs to put a " washy washy" crew member with hand sanitizer at the entrance to buffets , as many people don't take the hint of the machine sitting right at the entrance. Also, someone needs to enforce no filling of water bottles directly from the beverage stations. Gross