Another question related to Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package in restaurants

bobvila

Hi again,

I was told by a friend, who got a Beverage Package on the Celebrity Reflection boat, that the 'Wine Glass' service in the restaurant were very slow (first glass after 45mn....).

Is it the same situation in Norwegian Cruise? If so, can we order wine in glass at a bar and bring it in the restaurant?

Thanks!!

I have generally found the wine service in the restaurants to be adequate.

However, just to avoid any waits, we almost always get a wine to take with us. That way it doesn’t matter as much if they are slow.

You can always carry drinks between venues. We do it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had drinks packages on two previous Norwegian cruises and have not experienced any problem with wine/drinks service in any of the restaurants.

Ditto that. Actually we've had the beverage package on 4 cruises and have never had slow service for wine, including refills.

Ditto. I usually bring one in b/c there's usually a bar nearby the restaurant and then I go ahead and order my next one while I've still got plenty left in my glass. And I've seen it both ways...from really slow to about what you'd get at any restaurant...and that's not just on NCL. So I think it probably has a lot to do with how on top of it your servers are, how many tables they have going, etc...

Just a little thing we learned on our last cruise ( NCL Jade repo. First beverage package for us). If you order wine, ask for the Long Pour. It’s a much bigger glass so had to refill less often. We were never charged anything extra

Chicks dig the long pour.

I always carry a glass of wine into dinner. Wine service does take a little longer in the dining rooms than at a bar. Personally, I get two glasses for myself and consolidate into one glass. That ensures I don’t spend any time waiting for a drink.

I always carry a glass of wine into dinner. Wine service does take a little longer in the dining rooms than at a bar. Personally, I get two glasses for myself and consolidate into one glass. That ensures I don’t spend any time waiting for a drink.

Good idea!

Just a little thing we learned on our last cruise ( NCL Jade repo. First beverage package for us). If you order wine, ask for the Long Pour. It’s a much bigger glass so had to refill less often. We were never charged anything extra

Another good idea!

We have been able to pay the difference for wines above $15.

I only see one wine (an Ice Wine) that is over $15 but I meant for the wines like these that they don't offer by the glass (although $249 for a main label Opus One is actually a really good deal...and it would be $200 with the UBP discount right?).

804 RED BLEND Overture by Opus One, Napa Valley, California $179.00

805 CABERNET SAUVIGNON Silver Oak, Alexander Valley, California $129.00

806 CABERNET SAUVIGNON Silverado Vineyards, Napa Valley, California $79.00

807 CABERNET SAUVIGNON Jordan, Alexander Valley, California $99.00

808 ZINFANDEL Ridge Vineyards, "Lytton Springs", Dry Creek Valley, California $65.00

809 CABERNET SAUVIGNON Caymus, Napa Valley, California $99.00

810 RED BLEND Opus One, Napa Valley, California $249.00

811 CABERNET SAUVIGNON “M” by Michael Mondavi, Napa Valley, California $199.00

812 RED BLEND Tenuta dell Ornellaia, "Le Serre Nuove", Bolgheri, Italy $79.00

I only see one wine (an Ice Wine) that is over $15 but I meant for the wines like these that they don't offer by the glass (although $249 for a main label Opus One is actually a really good deal...and it would be $200 with the UBP discount right?).

804 RED BLEND Overture by Opus One, Napa Valley, California $179.00

805 CABERNET SAUVIGNON Silver Oak, Alexander Valley, California $129.00

806 CABERNET SAUVIGNON Silverado Vineyards, Napa Valley, California $79.00

807 CABERNET SAUVIGNON Jordan, Alexander Valley, California $99.00

808 ZINFANDEL Ridge Vineyards, "Lytton Springs", Dry Creek Valley, California $65.00

809 CABERNET SAUVIGNON Caymus, Napa Valley, California $99.00

810 RED BLEND Opus One, Napa Valley, California $249.00

811 CABERNET SAUVIGNON “M” by Michael Mondavi, Napa Valley, California $199.00

812 RED BLEND Tenuta dell Ornellaia, "Le Serre Nuove", Bolgheri, Italy $79.00

Who wouldn't want one of those? There are four examples from the list above. We have had the Oberon numerous times and paid the difference.

Who wouldn't want one of those? There are four examples from the list above. We have had the Oberon numerous times and paid the difference.

I wasn't looking at the big pour price so you are right that adds a few more. Why not just order two small glasses and combine them?

Main point still stands though :). I would gladly pay a few dollars extra for a higher end glass of wine. Oberon is probably the best red available by the glass and it is a sub $20 bottle. Jordan is less than $50...they could pour that for $20 a glass and I would happily pay the difference.

On our last cruise on the Gem, we were never able to order a second glass, so I started ordering 2 at once.

What do you mean you were never able to order a second glass? Do you mean they wouldn’t let you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't looking at the big pour price so you are right that adds a few more. Why not just order two small glasses and combine them?

Main point still stands though :). I would gladly pay a few dollars extra for a higher end glass of wine. Oberon is probably the best red available by the glass and it is a sub $20 bottle. Jordan is less than $50...they could pour that for $20 a glass and I would happily pay the difference.

I typically pay $25 a bottle for Oberon and is in the rotation for our everyday red bottles and $60-65 for Jordan depending upon the vintage.

This is why we always bring wine from our cellar and pay the corkage fee though on the NCL Escape in December, we had Total Wines deliver to our hotel. We didn't have the UBP because hubs couldn't stand the idea of having Oberon by the glass every day.

I typically pay $25 a bottle for Oberon and is in the rotation for our everyday red bottles and $60-65 for Jordan depending upon the vintage.

This is why we always bring wine from our cellar and pay the corkage fee though on the NCL Escape in December, we had Total Wines deliver to our hotel. We didn't have the UBP because hubs couldn't stand the idea of having Oberon by the glass every day.

That is a really good idea.

Our next cruise is a local departure so we will bring some of our own wine as well but if Opus One is really only $200 after the UBP discount I might have to splurge one night.

That is a really good idea.

Our next cruise is a local departure so we will bring some of our own wine as well but if Opus One is really only $200 after the UBP discount I might have to splurge one night.

Can't remember what vintage was offered before on the Opus but it was one that wasn't rated as high as the other years. Maybe 2014. Remember that 20 percent service charge brings it right back up to $249.

My husband always calculates which has the least markup prior to going on a cruise.