Cruising with teens on a separate deck?

tjf9

Non-parents can post their opinions on parenting issues all day long. However, they are wasting their time. You cannot ever know or understand until you are a parent. It changes you in ways you’d never ever imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becoming a parent takes one from rational thinking to irrational thinking. Rational thoughts are still allowed anywhere, any time, any day.

Becoming a parent takes one from rational thinking to irrational thinking. Rational thoughts are still allowed anywhere, any time, any day.

So you are saying the non parent poster on this thread who cant imagine what issues could arise by putting two young never before cruised teens several decks above them alone in a cabin (which isn't allowed btw) is making a rational statement? Lol

What actually happens when someone becomes a parent is they become extremely rational...caring...concerned...full fledged adults.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruise with my kids quite frequently. I wouldn’t have them that far away. Cruise hallways all look the same. It is easy to get lost getting back to the room. Unless you walked the kids to their room or checked in with them before you headed to bed for the night, I’d be concerned about them getting back to their rooms safely at night or even during the day for that matter. We’re going on the escape this year and I couldn’t get close rooms. We are one adult and one tween per room

So you are saying the non parent poster on this thread who cant imagine what issues could arise by putting two young never before cruised teens several decks above them alone in a cabin (which isn't allowed btw) is making a rational statement? Lol

What actually happens when someone becomes a parent is they become extremely rational...caring...concerned...full fledged adults.

So you are suggesting that a Police Officer or a Social Worker who are not parents, are both not adults or satisfactorily equipped to be able to have an opinion on this topic? Wow.

To me the obvious answer is to have one parent in each cabin if they can’t get cabins closer together prior to the cruise. If OP is happy with the week, itinerary and ship, this would make more sense than booking something else and potentially paying more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you are suggesting that a Police Officer or a Social Worker who are not parents, are both not adults or satisfactorily equipped to be able to have an opinion on this topic? Wow.

Opinion yes, but how valid it is, is questionable. There is no comparison to working with children and actually having your own.

Signed a 22 year teacher and 19 year parent.

Are you trying to say that the non parent poster here is a police officer or a social worker? For if they are, I'd expect them to state that it's child endangerment to put them so far away. But I digress...

However....

Police officers and social workers are trained professionals....that hopefully have some work experience dealing with young teens...you are comparing them to a poster here who openly states they are not a parent and posts that they don't see that any problems could occur by putting your young never before cruised kids several decks away? That poster hasn't a clue about raising children for if they did they would never say that they don't see a problem with this.

The mere fact that doing this is against ncl policy is clearly telling that the poster doesn't understand ncl policy nor the ramifications of splitting up your young children.

Btw....yup you could be a trained highly education child psychologist non parent for all I care....but you will never understand raising kids until you have your own. It's not something a textbook can teach.... on the job training is the only teacher here

And fortunately Mother Nature helps the parents along to become quick learners in most cases

Edited by maggie cruises

Here was our experience when our granddaugters took their first cruise.They were actually right next door to their parents and even then, one night the youngest one got talking to one of her new friends, time slipped away and the next thing you know the security was out looking fo her. One of the parents had gotten concerned when her daughter didn't return to the cabin. The girls were just fine but it was midnight. So, even with them so close things could happen. The story could have turned out differently. I will add she was a very responsible young lady and an honor student. She just let the time slip away.

Would the kids be ok, decks away? Most likely and I totally disagree with people who are saying with the UBP there are a lot more drunks on the ship. We have not witness this at all. That being said, there are many reasons not to have the kids on a different deck. Let them run around all day, enjoying their new friends, but at night they should be on more than one cabin away from mom and dad. Chances are things would work out fine, but it still isn't a good idea. If they were 16 or older it might be a totally diiferent thing.

Whether you manage to get cabins next to each other or keep the original plan, here are a few ideas that might be helpful if your kids are in separate rooms.

1) Ask the steward to remove the contents from the mini bar, and see if you can block access to adult shows on the tv. You may feel that they are responsible, but best to keep temptation at bay.

2) Get some walkie-talkies. I'm not sure how cellphones work on a ship but walkie-talkies should be able to keep you in contact in case anything comes up.

3) Make sure you go over plans for the cruise with them so they know when to meet you for meals and excursions. Also give them a list of rules that they should obey such as keeping the noise down past a certain time, and make sure they know there will be consequences in they break the rules, such as an adult staying in their cabin for the remainder of the cruise.

4) have fun!

Here was our experience when our granddaugters took their first cruise.They were actually right next door to their parents and even then, one night the youngest one got talking to one of her new friends, time slipped away and the next thing you know the security was out looking fo her. One of the parents had gotten concerned when her daughter didn't return to the cabin. The girls were just fine but it was midnight. So, even with them so close things could happen. The story could have turned out differently. I will add she was a very responsible young lady and an honor student. She just let the time slip away.

Would the kids be ok, decks away? Most likely and I totally disagree with people who are saying with the UBP there are a lot more drunks on the ship. We have not witness this at all. That being said, there are many reasons not to have the kids on a different deck. Let them run around all day, enjoying their new friends, but at night they should be on more than one cabin away from mom and dad. Chances are things would work out fine, but it still isn't a good idea. If they were 16 or older it might be a totally diiferent thing.

But you know very well that ncl doesn't allow kids this age to be in cabins this far from the parents. Even if they book properly and then switch onboard they are breaking the rules. The steward should report this and guest services should not be rekeying the room cards nor should the parents just switch adult and child cards to avoid guest services saying no to rekeying

The bottom line to this debate is very simple....no you cannot put your young teens several decks away from you per the cruise line rules period!

This talk of they should be fine alone is nonsense as it can't be condoned

Many years ago my wife and I were chaperones for 4 years for boys and girls volleyball teams when they played out of town. We were always with the same group of athletes for the ages of 12 until they were 16. All of these kids were straight “A” students, polite, and very responsible for their age. All of these kids were the best you could ask for but each and every one of them had the same issue. It’s called hormones and in that age group the hormones are “raging” hence the need for chaperones.

Personally I think this was a troll post. In my opinion any parent who would allow two 14 year olds to be in a cabin by themselves separated from their parents by many decks has zero parenting skills.

But you know very well that ncl doesn't allow kids this age to be in cabins this far from the parents. Even if they book properly and then switch onboard they are breaking the rules. The steward should report this and guest services should not be rekeying the room cards nor should the parents just switch adult and child cards to avoid guest services saying no to rekeying

The bottom line to this debate is very simple....no you cannot put your young teens several decks away from you per the cruise line rules period!

This talk of they should be fine alone is nonsense as it can't be condoned

While I don’t think kids should be this far from the parents, I have booked kids in connecting cabins with an adult in each cabin, with the PCC reassuring me it’s fine to switch onboard. We always go directly to guest services where they give us extra keys, with other people in line doing the same thing.

I don’t know why people believe that NCL (or any cruise line) doesn’t allow this. They need an adult booked in each cabin ON PAPER ONLY. Passengers are told to sleep wherever they want.

Whether you manage to get cabins next to each other or keep the original plan, here are a few ideas that might be helpful if your kids are in separate rooms.

1) Ask the steward to remove the contents from the mini bar, and see if you can block access to adult shows on the tv. You may feel that they are responsible, but best to keep temptation at bay.

2) Get some walkie-talkies. I'm not sure how cellphones work on a ship but walkie-talkies should be able to keep you in contact in case anything comes up.

3) Make sure you go over plans for the cruise with them so they know when to meet you for meals and excursions. Also give them a list of rules that they should obey such as keeping the noise down past a certain time, and make sure they know there will be consequences in they break the rules, such as an adult staying in their cabin for the remainder of the cruise.

4) have fun!

Blocking cruise TV content from high school students? You do realize they have access to ANY content they want to watch on their cell phones, 24/7. NCL has a pretty good texting app, we tried walking talkies once almost 10 years ago, worked horribly.

Blocking cruise TV content from high school students? You do realize they have access to ANY content they want to watch on their cell phones, 24/7. NCL has a pretty good texting app, we tried walking talkies once almost 10 years ago, worked horribly.

Both of my kids’ phones have restrictions enacted by me with a passcode. At least on iPhones you can regulate the extent of the content that comes through. Ratings are the same as movies, TV, music, and video games.

I’ve never met a parent who didn’t think/say their kids were well behaved. Good luck!

I have met a few, but for me it's not even about the kids, but the other people on board you don't know anything about.

Now, I don't have kids, so I may not know what I'm talking about... :cool:

It's funny how everyone has the most well behaved, trustworthy kids ever.

Nobody can really honestly know what their kids will do 100% of the time in the absence of parental supervision.

While most cruises go off without a hitch, in case of emergency I would not want my children so far away from us.

This is also your first cruise - you have no idea how they will react as far as sea sickness, the motion of the boat in a dark cabin (which can be unsettling and disorienting), etc. It just seems like a bad idea on several fronts.

I say this as someone with three 9 year olds who go to the playground themselves, so I'm definitely not a helicopter parent but on a cruise you are dealing with many other factors like weather, ship safety, etc.

The number of helicopter parents on this thread is appaling. Bottom line is that only OP knows her kids. While it's true that no one ever says that their kids are misbehaved, I remember when I was 14 I would do very stupid things myself, but I was far from being the inept child most other posters are describing on this thread (in need of constant supervision and parental controls, which are totally useless on a 14 year old btw) and could be trusted with a room to myself for eight hours a night.

That being said, as a parent I would also feel uncomfortable having my children, no matter the age, 5 decks away. If you don't want to all be crammed into one room, the most logical solution to this is having one parent in each room; but in this day and age, parents are willing to sacrifice less and less for their children, so I'm not really surprised this really, really simple solution didn't cross OP's mind.