Pray that there is not a missing passenger

MsSoCalCruiser

I am hard of hearing and take my hearing aids out at night, I would not hear any announcements.

I advise the front desk of this when boarding, and my cabin steward.

I've had one emergency where they actually came into my room (bad water leak) and woke me up

smart to alert them...

Or in the case was what we experienced one time on Royal Caribbean, there were several announcements made about a missing teenage girl. The captain came over the PA into the staterooms starting at 1:30 AM and continued until they found her. She was in some other passenger's bed and her poor parents were freaking out as she was only 16 and they had no idea where she was. Finally, after 5 or 6 announcements, they found her alive and well (and hopefully, very embarrassed) at 3:15 AM. It was a long sleepless night but still, the captain did the right thing!

"only 16" - hookup in another passengers bed - when did these very responsible last see their daughter and when did they notice she was 'missing'? sorry to be so blount...

nuked ...again

I might be mistaken, but don't handicapped cabins have flashing lights that signal a phone call and/or emergency?

It depends on the reason the cabin is designated "HA." Some lines have made HA cabins rather "all inclusive" and meet the requirements of the ADA for mobility impairment/wheelchair accessibility, Braille notations, TTY accommodations, etc. Other lines have the ability to convert the phone/warning system in cabins to TTY and other modifications for the deaf when the line is notified in advance; this maintains the wheelchair accessible cabins for those who need that accommodation. It also enables larger groups with a specific need to book cruises together if they are able to use a standard cabin with some special equipment installed.

It is a relatively simple matter to replace the phone with a TTY or video phone and have the feature that will flash the lights when a call comes in, in an emergency notification, and when the doorbell rings (if you are in a suite with a doorbell as on some lines). This can also be returned to the normal configuration requiring just a few minutes before the next cruise.

All HA cabins we've used do have emergency call buttons by the bed and in the bathroom.

It is sometimes hard to book HA cabins as they are in demand, so the more one is able to use a somewhat modified cabin (as in, installing modifications for the deaf), the more are available to others. And many hard of hearing persons don't use or request deaf modifications.

"only 16" - hookup in another passengers bed - when did these very responsible last see their daughter and when did they notice she was 'missing'? sorry to be so blount...

nuked ...again

On some lines, the teen programs (under crew supervision) run till 1am. If the announcements started at 1:30, perhaps that wasn't an excessive wait on the parent's part as the staff probably did a quick search of the teen area prior to the announcement. It wouldn't have fit the rules that I gave my daughter when she was that age, but different families, different kids, different policies...I guess.

Yeah, I was the "difficult" mommy. The program ends at 1. I expect you in the cabin at 1:10. And that doesn't even begin the list of rules like "Don't ever enter anyone's cabin. Don't ever invite anyone into our cabin. Etc."

On some lines' date=' the teen programs (under crew supervision) run till 1am. If the announcements started at 1:30, perhaps that wasn't an excessive wait on the parent's part as the staff probably did a quick search of the teen area prior to the announcement. It wouldn't have fit the rules that I gave my daughter when she was that age, but different families, different kids, different policies...I guess.

Yeah, I was the "difficult" mommy. The program ends at 1. I expect you in the cabin at 1:10. And that doesn't even begin the list of rules like "Don't ever enter anyone's cabin. Don't ever invite anyone into our cabin. Etc."[/quote']

solid answer - well posted

I’m on the Ruby too and it was scary. I’m glad she was found although I haven’t heard what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not trying to be rude here, but it isn't really anyone's business what happened. It could have been as simple as the passenger falling asleep somewhere....although I'd expect that she would have been found sooner. Or it could have been something much more serious. In any event, she is found and that's what matters.

Funny related story told to us (at dinner) by a past HAL ship physician (he worked part time for HAL and part time in a land-based ER). A passenger (elderly lady) was reported missing, late at night, by her room mate. They started a search which does take some time. After about 15 minutes they found the lady wandering a corridor completely naked! The cause? She was wearing a Transderm Scop patch and this is one of the possible side-effects along with hallucinations.

Hank

I'm not trying to be rude here' date=' but it isn't really anyone's business what happened. It could have been as simple as the passenger falling asleep somewhere....although I'd expect that she would have been found sooner. Or it could have been something much more serious. In any event, she is found and that's what matters.[/quote']

Somebody earlier asked to let the thread know what happened. And yes, the main thing is that she was found safe (and one of my friends heard it was nothing major).

So, yeah, it's probably not our business, but people get curious when they are awakened 4 or 5 times between 3 and 4 am. Please don't take that as complaining, it's not- I completely understand why they had to do it and I'm glad it was nothing major.

Probably someone reported her missing. Maybe they woke up and realized their cabin mate wasn't there and they were worried so they reported it.

We've never had that happen on a cruise, but once we were awoken about 3 in the morning by the bridge telling us there was a fire. Talk about getting your adrenaline going!! They kept us updated frequently, and it was quickly dealt with. However, it was quite a while before we could fall back asleep!

On our recent Hawaiian cruise, we were woke up at 2:00 am with the captain telling people that there was a rescue by Coast Guard and for everyone to stay inside their cabin. I was dead asleep and did not hear the message. I did get woke up by the helicopter so I went out on our balcony and was shocked by the helicopter up near the bridge. I immediately went back inside after I saw the helicopter make 2 attempts to get the patient up to the helicopter. They evacuated some of the cabins in the bow near where the copter was hovering. This was my first experience in an evacuation such as this and it was scary. They took the patient to Hilo and we heard the person (a woman) had a stroke.

Somebody earlier asked to let the thread know what happened. And yes, the main thing is that she was found safe (and one of my friends heard it was nothing major).

So, yeah, it's probably not our business, but people get curious when they are awakened 4 or 5 times between 3 and 4 am. Please don't take that as complaining, it's not- I completely understand why they had to do it and I'm glad it was nothing major.

Aren't you at anchor in Cabo San Lucas? Wonder if someone thought the missing person got left ashore?

Aren't you at anchor in Cabo San Lucas? Wonder if someone thought the missing person got left ashore?

They can tell whether or not the person's cruise card was swiped. yes, it is possible for security to miss a person, but they at least know what the ship's computer shows. Announcements about someone who may have missed the ship are typically made at "all aboard" time, not in the middle of the night.

They can tell whether or not the person's cruise card was swiped. yes' date=' it is possible for security to miss a person, but they at least know what the ship's computer shows. Announcements about someone who may have missed the ship are typically made at "all aboard" time, not in the middle of the night.[/quote']

The Ruby is overnighting in Cabo - last tender near 11PM. So not sure what, in that context, is the difference in what I said ...?

The Ruby is overnighting in Cabo - last tender near 11PM. So not sure what, in that context, is the difference in what I said ...?

Sorry, I didn't realize it was an overnight stop with such a late "all aboard" time. I'm used to the announcements right after "all aboard" time....when it is interesting to go up and watch the sail away.

Sorry' date=' I didn't realize it was an overnight stop with such a late "all aboard" time. I'm used to the announcements right after "all aboard" time....when it is interesting to go up and watch the sail away.[/quote']

Of course!!! Got to love the pier runners! But in this case it seemed the likeliest reason to get a 3AM "where is xxx? call"

No doubt we are also very glad the missing person was found with no issues other than some lost sleep.

IMO, that's giving up a lot of personal freedom for the very few times there's a missing passenger. I'm not comfortable with "big brother" knowing my every move on the ship. No thank you.

Hope you don't have a Facebook account or any Google accounts. They track you everywhere.

I tried posting this earlier, but cruise critic on my phone and the Mexican cellular provider don't play well together.

Anyway, not sure this was answered but we arrived in Cabo around 1pm today, and the announcement was 3:00 am as we were on our way. So, at sea when it happened.

I'm not trying to be rude here' date=' but it isn't really anyone's business what happened. It could have been as simple as the passenger falling asleep somewhere....although I'd expect that she would have been found sooner. Or it could have been something much more serious. In any event, she is found and that's what matters.[/quote']

Probably here on CC not knowing is Okay but if I was onboard , awoken 5 times , I would deserve to know exactly what happened.

They can tell whether or not the person's cruise card was swiped. yes' date=' it is possible for security to miss a person, but they at least know what the ship's computer shows. Announcements about someone who may have missed the ship are typically made at "all aboard" time, not in the middle of the night.[/quote']

This did happen on a cruise we were on. A woman used her husbands SS card to disembark. Security did not pay attention to the name or the pic. When she boarded, she used her SS card, again security paid no attention. When it was time to leave, his name kept coming over the loudspeaker. They were almost frantic when he showed up at guest services and figured out how he got off the ship but didn't get back on. Next port everyone had to have 2 forms of ID to get on and off the ship.

This did happen on a cruise we were on. A woman used her husbands SS card to disembark. Security did not pay attention to the name or the pic. When she boarded, she used her SS card, again security paid no attention. When it was time to leave, his name kept coming over the loudspeaker. They were almost frantic when he showed up at guest services and figured out how he got off the ship but didn't get back on. Next port everyone had to have 2 forms of ID to get on and off the ship.

I could see this easily happening....spouses can look similar and names, how can security tell what gender a name is......

It's weird though that it did not buzz when she got back on the ship with her own card......I am guessing this happened a long time ago.....?

I could see this easily happening....spouses can look similar and names, how can security tell what gender a name is......

It's weird though that it did not buzz when she got back on the ship with her own card......I am guessing this happened a long time ago.....?

You are right Lori, it should have buzzed since she never exited, as far as the card scanner was concerned.

How have you been?

Kathy

I am on the Ruby. We were startled out of a sound sleep approximately 15 minutes ago with the captain paging a passenger. There have been 3 announcements so far. Please say a prayer. I am so worried for this person that I feel sick.

What time did the captain make the announcement?

IMO, that's giving up a lot of personal freedom for the very few times there's a missing passenger. I'm not comfortable with "big brother" knowing my every move on the ship. No thank you.

Unfortunately we have given up a lot of these freedoms long ago. Carry a cellphone? Even if you turn the GPS off it still tracks you.

I think it’s much to do about nothing. Who really cares if the cruiseline knows I take afternoon naps or spend hours in the Explorers lounge? No sweat off my back.