TA or cruiseline

Snorkelfan

We want to do an eastern Mediterranean cruise to Greece. Should I get a cruise TA or just book thru the cruise line once I have made my itinerary selection?

There have been many threads in the past dealing with the merits of booking through a TA or directly with the cruise line.

I am pro using a TA since they will share their commission from the cruise line with you. Although naming a TA is not allowed on this website, the do allow us to mention the type or style of a TA. I am currently using a TA that is associated with a "big box" warehouse store. This TA gives approximately 8% of the cost of your cruise back to you in the form of a gift card that you can then use to purchase items in the warehouse store. Since I purchase merchandise there anyway the gift card is the same as cash to me. You can also find online TAs that give similar benefits - just make sure to check the fine print to make sure the TA does not charge extra fees for changes or cancellations.

I firmly believe in using a TA.

We cannot give recommendation here.

Like all professions not all TA's are the same. Ask friends if they like their TA and would recommend them and then interview a few.

A strong TA can help you avoid mistakes and some can provide savings in other areas like pre cruise hotels and provide amenities that you cannot get by booking directly with the cruise line.

Most importantly if something goes wrong with the Cruise Line they can be your advocate and also a knowledgeable TA can cut through the red tape.

Keith

We have not found a brick and mortar TA that offered any substantial saving over the cruise line price. However, there are a number of on-line TAs that will offer real deals.

We use a "reverse bidding" site to shop prices for the cruise we want, then select the best offer and book through that company. On our most recent cruise we booked a cruise on board through the cruise line. When we returned home, we shopped the price through the reverse bidding site, and transferred the booking to an on-line TA. Same cabin and perqs that the cruise line offered, as well as additional obc and a fare that was substantially (10%+ lower).

Sadly, this board will auto edit the link to the cruise reverse bid site, so I can't post it.

One more vote for the big box warehouse club travel department. Their website works a lot better than some cruise line's - especially for searching for a particular cabin.

Plus, you can search multiple cruise lines - helpful when you are looking for a transatlantic that will get you to Europe, for example.

We book through the cruise line when they are offering good perks, we then transfer to a TA to pick up what they are offering and still keep all the cruise line offers. Check out the online TA'S. we usually pick up pre paid grats, specialty dinning, and added OBC, one online TA now offers limited insurance as well as added perks.

We use direct booking with Royal. We are Diamond Plus, over 55 and past military. That pretty much gives us all the perks that a TA can give us. We also use Delta Skymiles when we fly. Most TA's can't use that perk as it is a direct connection with Delta.

We do it both ways. Occasionally we book directly with the cruise line and then transfer it, usually there is a specific time frame within which it must be accomplished, to our TA. Other times we book through the TA. Both may have their plus and minus.

We use direct booking with Royal. We are Diamond Plus, over 55 and past military. That pretty much gives us all the perks that a TA can give us. We also use Delta Skymiles when we fly. Most TA's can't use that perk as it is a direct connection with Delta.

Not true. The warehouse store TA would give you about an 8% savings in addition to all of the perks and price discounts offered by Royal.