Murano vs Tuscan Grill

Woodstove

Murano by many nautical miles :). We think the Tuscan has lost its way. Some would call it an Italian Steakhouse (whatever that means) but it lacks any steakhouse quality beef. Others would call it Italian...but it lacks a decent Italian menu. Who ever heard of a decent Italian restaurant without any quality veal. We think it misses on all cylinders and needs to have its menu totally revamped and quality upgraded. As to Murano, it is our favorite restaurant at sea (and we have cruised on more than 60 different ships of 14 cruise lines). It strives to a be a high quality haute cuisine venue with lots of class. We would love to see some additions to its excellent menu, but on our most recent 21 day cruise we dined in Murano 10 times...and never grew tired of the cuisine.

Hank

I always find it odd to hear complaints about the meat at Tuscan. I’ve eaten there around 10 times over various cruises and always order the filet as an entree and have never had a bad cut. Service issues? Yes. Declining quality of pasta? Yes. Removal of unique items like tableside Caesar salad and giant antipasto board? Yes. But bad meat? Never. That’s the only thing I have found has been consistent at both Tuscan and Murano on all ships. Murano’s Chateaubriand and Tuscan’s filet are both fantastic. That’s why it was such a shock to have a horrible experience at the Lawn Club Grill on Silhouette last month. Worst meat experience I’d ever encountered on Celebrity. (Oceanview Cafe aside)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always find it odd to hear complaints about the meat at Tuscan. I’ve eaten there around 10 times over various cruises and always order the filet as an entree and have never had a bad cut. Service issues? Yes. Declining quality of pasta? Yes. Removal of unique items like tableside Caesar salad and giant antipasto board? Yes. But bad meat? Never. That’s the only thing I have found has been consistent at both Tuscan and Murano on all ships. Murano’s Chateaubriand and Tuscan’s filet are both fantastic. That’s why it was such a shock to have a horrible experience at the Lawn Club Grill on Silhouette last month. Worst meat experience I’d ever encountered on Celebrity. (Oceanview Cafe aside)

Well, for us it was exactly the opposite... never had a disappointing filet at Lawn Club Grille and haven´t had a really good one at Tuscan for many years...

We usually dine in Luminae which (on most of the ships) beats both places by far.

WonderMan3: can you elaborate? We will be sailing on both Equinox and Constellation in Sky Suites this year, and I wonder which ships you have in mind where Luminae is (or is not) better than both Tuscan and Murano.

Tom & Judy

Well, for us it was exactly the opposite... never had a disappointing filet at Lawn Club Grille and haven´t had a really good one at Tuscan for many years...

Ditto- we love the lawn grill- the custom made pizza appetizer is great! The big hot cookie with vanilla ice cream is excellent- I usually get grilled shrimp and scallops and grilled veggies- my DH enjoys his filet. Never had a bad meal and did in Tuscan. Fatty skinny rib steaks not what we are used to when we dine in a steak house. But everyone has their own taste.

On the Summit- a ship we have sailed on at least 6 times, they made the steak house, I think called the Normandy into Tuscan Grill- So the only options are Tuscan and Qsine They also made bistro on five into Sushi on five- we do not like sushi- the restaurant is always empty. They should convert it to a restaurant like Murano.

IMO Luminae also very disappointing. However, you can order from the regular dining room menu.

While we are typically in a suite- we try to dine only in Specialty restaurants, but not much choice on M class ships now- better on the Silhouette and Reflection.

Enjoy

Edited by Cruise a holic

Can you tell me how Tuscan is on the Equinox.

I did both last May, along with the Sushi place and Silk Harvest. I had $600 OBC to burn so did the speciality dining package.

Murano - More of a spectacle. Went on my wife’s birthday night and there were no regrets. But I must say, I think the food was a bit overrated. Did the Chateaubriand and 2 lobsters and it was good but not amazing, definitely not memorable . . . Except for the cooking of the lobster. Found them both slightly “overcooked”. Also it felt a little “stuffy” and I just never fully got comfortable . . . So I would say I was a tad disappointed but I would give it another shot. Worth the money for the experience.

Tuscan - Not memorable at all. Food was good but so is the food in the main dining room and that is free. I have had dinners in the steakhouses on all the big lines (NCL, Carnival, Royal and Celebrity) and this was the most disappointing. Maybe it is because the MDR food is just such a step up on Celebrity from the other 3 that there just wasn’t a big difference and I actually think the service was better in the MDR. Will skip unless there is some huge discount to try it again.

Silk Harvest - Actually had my best dinner here. It was just pure fun and the food was real good and loved trying all these different Asian Fusion type dishes. More casual than the first two but I like casual. I will definitely do this one again.

Sushi on 5 - I was so happy to try this. I just need 1 sushi night on a cruise and this more than fulfilled that roll. Very good quality and very good selection. All included. I know people prefer free sushi . . . This is hands down better sushi and all the soups and types you get make it worth it. It was pretty dead for most of the cruise so I was concerned but I will go again.

So to wrap up, Murano is great for a special occasion and to do at least once. Now that I have done it, I won’t do it again unless it is for a special occasion.

Tuscon Grill I won’t do unless there is a big discount or offered free by my travel agent. Celebrity's main dining room food/service makes this a poor value IMO.

Silk Harvest will likely get done every time I am on a ship with it. I don’t eat Asian Fusion food often so this is a perfect way to incorporate that.

Sushi on 5 will at minimum do ala carte but if they offer the AYCE special I may take advantage.

I'm thinking of dining at Murano for the last night of our 4/1/18 Silhouette sailing, but want to take advantage of any discounts once I am on board. I have read that perhaps a 50% discount might be offered for Murano on the first night. In the 18 cruises I've enjoyed, the MDR has usually been very good, but since this is an anniversary trip, it would be nice to enjoy an elegant and special dinner. I will be in Aqua class (first time!) and would like to know if this something the concierge might arrange for me. Which specialty restaurants have you found to be discounted and which nights during a seven day cruise?

Preferred dress for Murano? Similar to chic?

It’s very upscale but I’ve seen people in there in shorts and flowered Hawaiian shirts haha! I would dress up for dinner there. Maybe book it for one of the chic (formal) nights and enjoy a dress up and fancy dinner night! Murano is hands down the best dinning venue aboard.

Otherwise dress to comfort and order that lobster table side!!!

It’s very upscale but I’ve seen people in there in shorts and flowered Hawaiian shirts haha! I would dress up for dinner there. Maybe book it for one of the chic (formal) nights and enjoy a dress up and fancy dinner night! Murano is hands down the best dinning venue aboard.

Thanks. DW and I were just setting up outfits and the subject came up. Originally I thought it was silly but after 42 years of marriage I have come to appreciate her penchant for listing outfits by day and evening - even down to socks several of which, I just found out, are not acceptable and must be replaced. :')

Thanks. DW and I were just setting up outfits and the subject came up. Originally I thought it was silly but after 42 years of marriage I have come to appreciate her penchant for listing outfits by day and evening - even down to socks several of which, I just found out, are not acceptable and must be replaced. :')

She sounds like a keeper! Haha I’m 26 and I do the same! Have to plan the outfits :) like the person above said. Save the tacky cruise wear for the buffets and dress to impress every night especially at Murano! You guys will love it!

Taste is very subjective, but here’s our opinion. Only one of our three meals in Tuscan Grill was good, and the service was lackluster for all three. BTW our one good meal in Tuscan Grill was from the old menu. Of five meals in Murano, all were excellent with the exception of one meh seafood entree (mine) and one meh starter (DH). Service in Murano was always very good to excellent. We intend to dine in Murano on our next cruise, but won’t dine in Tuscan Grill unless it’s deeply discounted.

I’d never seen the point of spending extra to eat when the service and food has always been excellent in the MDR until my Wife and I tried Tuscan Grill on Eclipse.

The 50% discount was just too good to miss and it was just the 2 of us.

It was the best meal I’ve had!

The service was outstanding and all the staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Our budget wouldn’t stretch to eating there, or the other restaurants, every night but I can now see why people pay the extra.

I still think the MDR is excellent but Tuscan Grill was another step up.

Last September, we dined twice in Tuscan and twice in Murano. Although the food and service were excellent in Murano, we actually preferred Tuscan. We had steak both times in Tuscan, and they were some of the best steaks that we have ever eaten. Don't hesitate to go to Tuscan. The service was great. We loved it.

I second this.

On the Equinox September 2017 we ate in both Tuscan and Murano.

Both had impeccable service.

However the cuts of meat that we had in Tuscan were amazing.

Tuscan is at the top of our dining list for our next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums