Our cruise is ten days away, and the nightmare scenario is happening.

Mr. Blonde

Since you were born in MA, call the town clerk's office for the town in which your mother resided at the time of your birth. You can also check the town's web site for information on obtaining a certified copy of the BC. Fees range from $10 to $15, and turn around time is fast, mailing it the same day as it's requested. MA vitals are now all electronic, and older documents are also in the data base.

25 years of helping in the TC office, I've done numerous BC's.

Darcy

This

My son needed his BC ASAP so that he can apply for a new passport for work (his child one had expired 7-years prior). Contacted Vitalchek and they stated that it would take more time than he had, even with expedited service - he was born in Rochester, NY

Called the office of vital records in Monroe county where he was born in and they were able to ship it overnight for only $35 on top of the cost of the BC - and much cheaper than Vitalchek.

Ok, I’m one of those who never loses anything but a year ago, the night before our cruise I decided I should put our passports in my bag. Oh no, can’t find mine. I knew I could use drivers license and birth certificate but called Carnival just to confirm. All I needed was a “ copy” of my birth certificate no the original. Made a couple of copies and no problem through out cruise. Only used it a embarkation.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Oh, the day after we returned, I found my passport. Just where I put it in plain sight. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, no -- we live in the digital age -- here's what you need to do:

Go to your city /county's local Register of Deeds Office (does every municipality call it Register of Deeds? Not sure, but you absolutely have such a place.) and tell them you need a birth certificate for someone born in another area. They will look it up and print it for you right there -- it'll cost you an extra fee -- was it $10 or $20 above the I-was-born-here fee? It'll be an official copy with their seal stamped /embossed on it.

The point is: You can drive to the office and walk out with an official birth certificate in your hand that very day. No waiting for the mail. I did this about two years ago -- not for cruise purposes, but same process -- and it took all of 15 minutes once I was in the office.

It is interesting to hear how many people there are without copies of such basic things like birth certificates. But, what is really amazing is the number of people who book a cruise, usually many weeks -if not months- in advance, and only start thinking about such things until a week or less before sailing.

It is interesting to hear how many people there are without copies of such basic things like birth certificates. But, what is really amazing is the number of people who book a cruise, usually many weeks -if not months- in advance, and only start thinking about such things until a week or less before sailing.

I think many people feel comfortable knowing that their documents are in a safe place. That's probably why the ODC in me doesn't accept this. I have two certified copies of my birth certificate and my husband's birth certificate and they are not kept in the same place. We both have passports. I have also scanned and saved copies of our passports and birth certificates on to my phone.

Beginning several months before a cruise, I look at our passports to confirm the expiration dates and that they are in the right place. Then a couple of weeks before the cruise, I look again. Wash, rinse, and repeat for the days and hours prior to boarding the ship. LOL. I probably verify things about 10 times before I board the ship. I really wish we could just put our finger on a fingerprint scanner instead of having to worry about documents.

If you live in Fl and have the Fl enhanced drivers license, you can go to the dmv and they will give you a real ID compliant DL that can be used for cruising.

But Florida is not one of the five states that offer Enhanced Driver's Licenses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Drivers_License

Florida does offer a REAL-ID compliant driver's license, but that's not the same thing, and it's not sufficient to prove citizenship nor to cross international borders. For a closed loop cruise, it could prove identity, but you'd need something else in addition to prove citizenship. A birth certificate would be the most likely choice.

No, no -- we live in the digital age -- here's what you need to do:

Go to your city /county's local Register of Deeds Office (does every municipality call it Register of Deeds? Not sure, but you absolutely have such a place.) and tell them you need a birth certificate for someone born in another area. They will look it up and print it for you right there -- it'll cost you an extra fee -- was it $10 or $20 above the I-was-born-here fee? It'll be an official copy with their seal stamped /embossed on it.

The point is: You can drive to the office and walk out with an official birth certificate in your hand that very day. No waiting for the mail. I did this about two years ago -- not for cruise purposes, but same process -- and it took all of 15 minutes once I was in the office.

Just a guess here - you're not in the US?

That's not how it works here. You must get your birth certificate from the county/state registrar directly. Or use a service like VitalChek (they go directly to the registrar involved).

I think many people feel comfortable knowing that their documents are in a safe place. That's probably why the ODC in me doesn't accept this. I have two certified copies of my birth certificate and my husband's birth certificate and they are not kept in the same place. We both have passports. I have also scanned and saved copies of our passports and birth certificates on to my phone.

Beginning several months before a cruise, I look at our passports to confirm the expiration dates and that they are in the right place. Then a couple of weeks before the cruise, I look again. Wash, rinse, and repeat for the days and hours prior to boarding the ship. LOL. I probably verify things about 10 times before I board the ship. I really wish we could just put our finger on a fingerprint scanner instead of having to worry about documents.

Being "attentive to detail" is hardly OCD. Rather, it is a good example of "common sense" responsibility. I'm betting that you also keep a copy of emergency info for first responders in your refrigerator and, if you live anywhere that is prone to natural disaster, a "go bag."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But Florida is not one of the five states that offer Enhanced Driver's Licenses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Drivers_License

Florida does offer a REAL-ID compliant driver's license, but that's not the same thing, and it's not sufficient to prove citizenship nor to cross international borders. For a closed loop cruise, it could prove identity, but you'd need something else in addition to prove citizenship. A birth certificate would be the most likely choice.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/newdl/

Just a guess here - you're not in the US?

That's not how it works here. You must get your birth certificate from the county/state registrar directly. Or use a service like VitalChek (they go directly to the registrar involved).

Nope, I'm in the US. I don't think people know about this because we don't need to get birth certificates /other documents often.

It might've been VitalCheck -- it's been about two years, and I could've forgotten the name. It might be the same service but located INSIDE your local Registrar of Deeds. Regardless, you can walk out of your local Registrar of Deeds with an official birth certificate from another county /state that very day.

Great link, but it doesn't describe an Enhanced Drivers License, but rather a REAL ID compliant license. If anyone uses one of those licenses thinking it's an EDL they will be denied boarding unless they can produce a copy of a US birth certificate to go with it.

Vitalchek provides a great service, but it doesn't supply birth certificates for all 50 states. My son's girlfriend was dragging her feet in obtaining her daughter's BC so when it started getting close to the cruise I went to Vitalchek, but they wouldn't have helped because Vermont is one of the states they don't provide coverage for.