Breakaway Baltic going to Nynashamn instead of Stockholm?

EllieinNJ

I emailed Guest Relations about this because my biggest issue with this is that the excursions they show on My NCL that are available for booking are clearly for if you dock in Stockholm. The excursions for Nynashamn are different. Of course, they were clueless, saying you dock in Stockholm and here's the number if you want to book an excursion. They completely missed the point that the Port of Stockholm website shows us docking in Nynashamn and they are not giving us the correct excursion options.

So frustrating!

Same here. I just called and was told that if I booked an excursion they would get me to where I need to be to get on the booked excursion. I doubt that will happen but it is frustrating. From what I can see now , they don’t offer the excursion that gives you free time in Stockholm which is what I would want. I guess we’ll wait until we get on board to book or just do a transfer on the day of. I’m hoping they extend our port time if we are in Nynäshamn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm afraid if we wait to book an excursion out of Nynashamn when we board the ship, they might all be sold out.

I agree but I don’t want to book a full day excursion. We were also looking for some free time to walk around. If they’re all booked , we’ll most likely take the transfer and go on our own in Stockholm.

When we did our Northern Europe/Baltics cruise, we docked at Frihamen, which IS in Stockholm proper, you just have to get transportation to the main part of town.

We found Stockholm to be the best port we visited on the entire cruise, including 2 days in St Petersburg. All these years later, we are still fascinated b y the Vasa, and just walking around Gamla Stan was great.

Anyway, being cheated out of 2 hours by docking not in Stockholm is terrible. I am a regular poster on the Baltic boards on this site and I know, over the year, many posters changing their plans and cruise lines to be able to dock in Stockholm and to be able to sail thru the archipelago.

If I can be so bold as to say this, but I would seriously rethink my booking.

Cheers

Len

Entering and leaving Stockholm when we did the Baltic on the Dream was one of the highlights of the entire cruise. You're really getting shortchanged if you don't get to experience that. Of course, you're already getting shortchanged because the ships that replaced the Dream are too big to go through the Kiel Canal. That was another great experience. We want to do another Baltic sailing but not if we're not docking in Stockholm proper. Calling Nynashamm Stockholm is bad but not as bad as calling Warnemunde Berlin.

Entering and leaving Stockholm when we did the Baltic on the Dream was one of the highlights of the entire cruise. You're really getting shortchanged if you don't get to experience that. Of course, you're already getting shortchanged because the ships that replaced the Dream are too big to go through the Kiel Canal. That was another great experience. We want to do another Baltic sailing but not if we're not docking in Stockholm proper. Calling Nynashamm Stockholm is bad but not as bad as calling Warnemunde Berlin.

You also have Orlando / Port Canaveral.

We are on the 8/27/18 sailing out of Copenhagen on Breakaway. Our port is listed as Nynashamn (Stockholm, Sweden) - exactly that way. I had no idea the port was 1 hour away, even with all the research I did. NCL does not mention it anywhere on their shore excursion site. We booked an NCL excursion (Stockholm by land and sea) because we also had the $50 per cabin shore excursion credit, and Rick Steve's Northern European cruise port book actually suggested using a cruise ship excursion in Sweden to see the most in the least amount of time, which I thought was unusual. (instead of a private excursion) We are in Sweden from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m., which seems to be a nice amount of time, even with having to travel an hour each way into Stockholm. Our excursion runs from 8-4. We are so looking forward to this Baltic cruise!

Have fun on your Baltic trip - it is great. We went to Nynashamn too back in 2010. It seems it varies from year to year and even within the year. We had heard about the wonderful trip in but didn't get to do that.

I will say the ride was pretty nice and a scenic ride in to Stockholm.

When we went we did the NCL excursion for the sake of getting into Stockholm and we also got the Vasa tickets, a short ride/tour around town, then a few hours on our own. Aren't they offering a similar excursion?

Yes they are, but it is from Stockholm, not Nynashamn. I tried to call the NCL Shore Excursions (1-866-625-1167) to ask if you booked one of these excursions, could they be transferred to Nynashamn if that is where we go. After holding for about 1/2 hour I gave up.

When the Breakaway comes back to New York from Copenhagen after the Baltic Season in October, we were originally scheduled for Amsterdam....which was then changed to Gothenberg.

While Amsterdam would have been AWESOME.....We WISH we were going to Stockholm instead of Gothenberg!

The funny thing is....I can't even find our ship on any of those 3 port schedules.

Can anyone point us to the correct site??

Thanks!

Have fun on your Baltic trip - it is great. We went to Nynashamn too back in 2010. It seems it varies from year to year and even within the year. We had heard about the wonderful trip in but didn't get to do that.

I will say the ride was pretty nice and a scenic ride in to Stockholm.

When we went we did the NCL excursion for the sake of getting into Stockholm and we also got the Vasa tickets, a short ride/tour around town, then a few hours on our own. Aren't they offering a similar excursion?

This is the excursion we are doing: Stockholm by land and sea:

Begin with a transfer into Stockholm, then, your tour will start with a boat cruise along Stockholm’s waterways. Nature & City have combined to make Stockholm one of the most attractive capitals of the world. Naturally, water plays an important part in city life since no fewer than 40 bridges of every shape and size link Stockholm's 14 islands together. You’ll be able to admire many of these as you glide peacefully along this captivating city. Your boat will dock by the Vasa Museum where you’ll get off for an inside visit. In the Vasa Museum, you’ll see the Swedish warship Vasa, once considered the pride of Sweden's navy. The present museum is built around the restored 17th century warship which sank in Stockholm's inner harbor on her maiden voyage in 1628. Its salvage in 1961, with more than 12,000 objects on board, is one of the most important events in marine archeology. After the visit, continue by coach to Old Town. There, you’ll have a walking tour of Stockholm’s oldest and coziest quarters. Witness the historic elegance of the exterior of the dominating Royal Palace, and stroll along the narrow, twisting alleys and cobblestone streets. You’ll experience the medieval intimacy of what is today a living historical monument. When the guided walk is over you’ll have some time of your own.

Stockholm by Land and Sea was exactly the NCL tour that we did in September 2017. I highly recommend it. It was actually just enough time for us. We docked at Nynashamn. If I remember correctly they have a really cool folding pier.

For us and most that was the last day of the cruise ports before a sea day and back to Copenhagen. The above tour was just enough. Everyone was pretty tired by that time (and some in our party were not feeling good). This is a very port intensive cruise. I would hope that wherever you dock, the tours and NCL would adjust. I would love to go back to Stockholm someday.

Edited by Seminole1975

I will not disagree with anyone who did, or is doing any ship's excursions into Stockholm. If you did one and enjoyed it-great. If you plan on doing one, also great and I hope you enjoy it.

That said, just a couple of points. If any one goes to the Baltics port of call boards and asks when to see the Vasa, everyone will tell you to be there just when it opens. Why, because if there are several ships in port that day, it does get to be crowded and they only allow a certain number of people in at one time. (It is a lot though). Also, I don't know if the tour includes time for the movie, but that is a MUST see also. PLUS, once in the Vasa Museum, you either go on your own or do one of the tours supplied by the Vasa Museum. Ships tours aren't allowed in the Museum. They will take you there, get you the tickets and after that, transfer you to the Museum people.

And the second part, taking you to Gamla Stan, the Old City. Again, you really do not need a guide for this area. The best part is to be able to just wander around the old cobblestone streets and get off the main drag ,as they say. Thousands of people on the main street, but go one block off and you could be by yourself. Just a wonderful area to explore.

Again, if a ship's excursion suits you, great, but DIY is a much better way.

When we toured, several years ago, some of the ships that docked outside of Stockholm had sort of simple tours, basically getting you into Stockholm without really touring, more of a shuttle. Do they still have something like that?

Cheers

Len

Our (Swedish) NCL tour guide was allowed to take us in the VASA museum. She took us all over the place then we had free time on our own. We were there mid September and it was not too crowded. We went after the boat ride around the city-mid day. I am sure during the summer months it can get really super busy.

Edited by Seminole1975

so, at what point do we definitively know for sure where our ship is scheduled to be docking?? It sounds like calling NCL doesn't get you much info, and I know it is subject to change even at the last minute. Do the majority of ships end up at Nynashamn even when they say Stockholm on the itinerary?

so, at what point do we definitively know for sure where our ship is scheduled to be docking?? It sounds like calling NCL doesn't get you much info, and I know it is subject to change even at the last minute. Do the majority of ships end up at Nynashamn even when they say Stockholm on the itinerary?

I would say that most ships dock in Stockholm proper. There are two places for ships to dock, Frihammen which is in Stockholm but not in the center of town and memory escapes the other place but it has already been mentioned and that is in the heart of the city.

I would say, as the ships get bigger and bigger, more will probably dock at

Nynashamn as they will have a harder time sailing thru the archipelago.

Cheers

Len

Well now it is official. We are definately going to Nynashamn.

<li class="G_e p_R" role="menuitem">

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Breakaway's 9-Day Scandinavia, Russia & Baltics sailings from Copenhagen on May 11, 2018; May 20, 2018; May 29, 2018; June 7, 2018; July 4, 2018; July 13, 2018; July 22, 2018; August 9, 2018 and August 18, 2018. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

Due to a berthing conflict, the itinerary for Norwegian Breakaway's 9-Day Scandinavia, Russia & Baltics sailings from Copenhagen departing on these dates has changed. Norwegian Breakaway will dock in Nynashamn, Sweden from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Please review the revised itinerary information below.

Original

Day

Destination

Arrive

Depart

Fri

Copenhagen, Denmark

5:00 pm

Sat

Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany

7:30 am

10:00 pm

Sun

At Sea

Mon

Tallinn, Estonia

9:00 am

4:30 pm

Tue

St. Petersburg, Russian Federation

7:00 am

Overnight

Wed

7:00 pm

Thu

Helsinki, Finland

4:00 pm

Fri

Stockholm, Sweden

8:00 am

Fri

Cruise The Stockholm Archipelago

Sat

At Sea

Sun

Copenhagen, Denmark

Revised

Day

Destination

Arrive

Depart

Fri

Copenhagen, Denmark

Sat

Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany

7:30 am

10:00 pm

Sun

At Sea

Mon

Tallinn, Estonia

9:00 am

4:30 pm

Tue

Overnight

Wed

7:00 pm

Thu

Helsinki, Finland

Fri

Nynashamn, Sweden

Fri

At Sea

Sat

At Sea

Sun

Copenhagen, Denmark

If you have pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line, your tour times will be updated.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8am to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you aboard Norwegian Breakaway.

Sincerely,

raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=d60fb030-bcaf-6996-1cb4-02000001a900&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBbDs71Kv7pN7d3l0O-RPHF8dKXUNct_eSD-CKQhGIuMSnT4Nrk4Tmbj0srLEx5_FbKldJA8i3vzfiNePJFcLA02

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

Well that's weird - I don't see the June 16th sailing in that list. Is it possible that sailing is actually going to Stockholm proper? It's still listed on the Port of Stockholm website as docking in Nynashamn. Guess I'm going to have to call the Shore Excursions people.

Did you receive this information via email from NCL?

Edited by Mrs Booboo

Well that's weird - I don't see the June 16th sailing in that list. Is it possible that sailing is actually going to Stockholm proper? It's still listed on the Port of Stockholm website as docking in Nynashamn. Guess I'm going to have to call the Shore Excursions people.

Did you receive this information via email from NCL?

Same thing for the June 25th sailing. The port website still says we’re docking in Nynäshamn. But I see that our itinerary is slightly different then the one listed above. They may not have gotten to ours yet and will get the notice later.

Edited by littledipper

We are on the August 27th sailing and are not included on that list, though my itinerary has always said Nynashamn (Stockholm, Sweden) We will be there 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. Wonder if we will be changed also.

We just booked our trip last week for the July 13 sailing and I also received the notification yesterday about the change. I am just starting to book shore excursions so I appreciate the insight. We have never been to the Baltics so I am eagerly anticipating this trip. I do tend to go with the cruise excursions particularly if port time is tight.

This topic has been discussed on the May 11 Roll Call for Breakaway. I too called NCL twice and they absolutely insisted that the port would be Stockholm, even though the Ports of Stockholm website clearly indicated otherwise. I received the email yesterday stating the port will in fact be Nynashamn. The email makes it sound like it is a big surprise and last minute change.

NCL's website still shows the original itinerary and the original excursions listed for Stockholm.

We are sailing 07/13 and I got the e-mail yesterday.

Not happy at all and the e-mail is so vague - what exactly is the detail of this 'berthing conflict' and why could it not be foreseen and prevented?

I also didn't realise we were paying a higher cruise price to dock in Stockholm proper!

My TA says there is no compensation and nothing supplied by the ship (i.e. complimentary transfer into Stockholm). Very, very poor show from NCL. An e-mail is going off to Vivian Ewart, for what difference it makes.

We are sailing 07/13 and I got the e-mail yesterday.

Not happy at all and the e-mail is so vague - what exactly is the detail of this 'berthing conflict' and why could it not be foreseen and prevented?

I also didn't realise we were paying a higher cruise price to dock in Stockholm proper!

My TA says there is no compensation and nothing supplied by the ship (i.e. complimentary transfer into Stockholm). Very, very poor show from NCL. An e-mail is going off to Vivian Ewart, for what difference it makes.

I had no clue either, and if that's the case a refund, free transfer, or OBC should be given