Old Coffee Card Expiration

chamima

Guess I could ask for a pot of hot tea and hold the tea bag, along with my 5 Easy Pieces type request for a brewed coffee. I can then use the hot water to reduce the strength of the espresso.

I really didn't like hearing that second-voyage use of a coffee card will not give me plain old brewed coffee with a punch. It will be interesting to learn of experiences with these new or pre-used./purchased cards and how each is implemented on various ships. It's all the inconsistencies and lack of written policy, communication of this to crew/staff and passengers, and implementation that keeps customer service hopping.

Darcy

LOL! I love your "5 Easy Pieces" reference!

I'm cruising pretty soon and will try to get the fresh brewed coffee with a punch from my old card with one punch on it and see what happens.....I will report back!

This seems completely straightforward...until you add an expiration date.

AND until you add that they will PUNCH it for the fresh brewed coffee...hence, it is not free...it's a punch.

If you figure that a cup of fresh brewed coffee costs Princess about 20 cents a cup, it's a wonder why they would create all this confusion for the sake of saving so little money. It almost seems like they are subscribing to the Disney model of "nickel and diming" or they are in dire financial shape? Personally I don't think either is the case, it was probably one person who thought it was a good idea and they went with it before considering the ramifications or how it comes off.

We love Princess and will continue to cruise with them...but this is just silly.

Just off the Emerald Princess 30 day So. Amer. cruise, plenty of older cards were being used by people, they did punch those cards for brewed coffee. I drank many pots of tea and early on they checked the back of my card for ship name and voyage #. Once I started going to the same servers in the IC, they stopped checking.

I don't understand why people see this as such a big deal, in my mind it isn't. I also feel the selling of cards on Ebay contributed to their decision, don't blame Princess at all. Talk about nickle and dime, selling a card you got as an Elite probably, seriously?

Just off the Emerald Princess 30 day So. Amer. cruise, plenty of older cards were being used by people, they did punch those cards for brewed coffee. I drank many pots of tea and early on they checked the back of my card for ship name and voyage #. Once I started going to the same servers in the IC, they stopped checking.

I don't understand why people see this as such a big deal, in my mind it isn't. I also feel the selling of cards on Ebay contributed to their decision, don't blame Princess at all. Talk about nickle and dime, selling a card you got as an Elite probably, seriously?

Agree. Just don't understand the whining over a $35 coffee card (about $2.33 a cup). You pay $thousands to cruise and whine over $2? If that is the case, stay home.

I'm sure Princess never intended or even thought that people would resell the paper coffee cards. Customers who resold these cards on social media or places like Ebay are the cause of the problem. NOT the cruise line.

People sell just about anything on eBay with a Princess name on- soap, towels, lotions, cruise cards, pins....and even coffee cards.

If you don't want to sell yours, just give them away or let them expire.

No problem.

Princess will love you for it.

I'm selling mine. :D

People sell just about anything on eBay with a Princess name on- soap, towels, lotions, cruise cards, pins....and even coffee cards.

If you don't want to sell yours, just give them away or let them expire.

No problem.

Princess will love you for it.

I'm selling mine. :D

I have even seen the Chef jackets and Bathrobes that you get on the ship tours for sale on Ebay!! LOL!

Agree. Just don't understand the whining over a $35 coffee card (about $2.33 a cup). You pay $thousands to cruise and whine over $2? If that is the case, stay home.

I'm sure Princess never intended or even thought that people would resell the paper coffee cards. Customers who resold these cards on social media or places like Ebay are the cause of the problem. NOT the cruise line.

I don't care what it is, but if you buy something from Princess or anyone else for that matter, you want to be able to use it, of course. It's not whining...it's getting your monies worth.

If we purchase something (or receive for free) then we should be able to do with it what we want. It is not so much the value as it is the principle. It is as with most consumer products, you use the product until you don’t need it anymore. So you either trash it, give it away or you sell it for whatever you can get for it.

The bean counters at Princess probably don’t care one way or the other, the card was paid for directly on board or pre-cruise. Or indirectly by having enough money spend on cruises to get the freebies.

JMHO of course.

Theo

I'm not a lawyer but looking at the back of my old card from 2016, purchased on the Star Princess, there should not be a problem to use this card for specialty coffee but NOT for brewed coffee or tea. The wording is pretty clear. The card does not have an expiration date on it and has 6 punches left. We will use the card in November and then also purchase a new card, hopefully that one does not expire at the end of December. If it does then our bar bill will be much lower :D because we will be drinking a lot of coffee :eek:or we will not buy the card.

Yes, it is clear. Says may be used on next voyage, not on any voyages after the next one.

Yes, it is clear. Says may be used on next voyage, not on any voyages after the next one.

Yes, there is always a next voyage. It is just a reference to “a voyage other than this one. It certainly does not say or mean only the next voyage. It is not logically to think that Princess will keep track of all your voyages to make sure that you only use it on only one more voyage.

Or was this an April Fool’s post?

If we purchase something (or receive for free) then we should be able to do with it what we want. It is not so much the value as it is the principle. It is as with most consumer products, you use the product until you don’t need it anymore. So you either trash it, give it away or you sell it for whatever you can get for it.

The bean counters at Princess probably don’t care one way or the other, the card was paid for directly on board or pre-cruise. Or indirectly by having enough money spend on cruises to get the freebies.

JMHO of course.

Theo

Lets get real here.

Princess knows darn well that a lot of card punches will never be used because they'll expire and this alone will be a big money maker for them. They collect money & don't have to give anything back for it except a promise if you cash it in on time.

At this time they can't possible know how many will expire but I'm sure it's a large number.

the ***** experience will render this moot...;p...as you will have an opportunity to turn in all unused card punches as a non-refundable credit on your first ***** cruise only..:evilsmile:

***** Experience? Oh....you mean that thing that might come by the 22nd Century!

Hank

the ***** experience will render this moot...;p...as you will have an opportunity to turn in all unused card punches as a non-refundable credit on your first ***** cruise only..:evilsmile:

Actually I can see it being kept on their computer system in the future but not buying back unused card punches. :D

Lets get real here.

Princess knows darn well that a lot of card punches will never be used because they'll expire and this alone will be a big money maker for them. They collect money & don't have to give anything back for it except a promise if you cash it in on time.

At this time they can't possible know how many will expire but I'm sure it's a large number.

Maybe I should have been clearer about it in my last post. I was, in an earlier post, revering to the old cards without an expiry date. So, unless Princess changes their policy I will use my old card, hopefully without a problem.

Theo

Maybe I should have been clearer about it in my last post. I was, in an earlier post, revering to the old cards without an expiry date. So, unless Princess changes their policy I will use my old card, hopefully without a problem.

Theo

As many thousands of us will also.

May be... but the card never has been issued to a person. It's a card that anyone can use to get a specialty coffee. This is unique to any other drink "package." A passenger might be "buying" the card, but any person(s) can use it.