The Many Choices of Edge Dining Venues: How Do We Choose?

vtcruising

Thank you for posting all the information you’ve found on the resteraunts, they have been interesting to read. One big question I have with all the menus is the options for vegetarians, I really am not seeing any variety like I’ve seen and had with other cruiselines. This will be our first cruise with Celebrity so a little concerned. From reading all the other poss I can find, they seem to take care of allergies, but I haven’t found anything specific for vegetarians. Hope I’m wrong and there are different nightly options for my better half who is mostly a vegetarian (exception is ground beef only).

When I did a quick search, I found lots of threads - here is one that talks about separate vegetarian menus in the MDR and the vast number of choices at the buffet (Ocean View Café). For the specialty restaurants, someone mentioned talking to the maître 'd ahead of time and they likely would make you a dish that would be to your liking.

Bo1953 has a plant-based diet and others will hopefully give more details about their dining experiences with X.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518162&highlight=vegetarian

When I did a quick search, I found lots of threads - here is one that talks about separate vegetarian menus in the MDR and the vast number of choices at the buffet (Ocean View Café). For the specialty restaurants, someone mentioned talking to the maître 'd ahead of time and they likely would make you a dish that would be to your liking.

Bo1953 has a plant-based diet and others will hopefully give more details about their dining experiences with X.

VT - thanks for the input. My experience on X is very good when it comes to eating and the chefs etc..

I Am hoping for something a bit more 'up scale' on Edge.... ;p

Just wanting to know if anyone had ideas if we 'plant based eaters' will have serious accommodation going forward in the dining rooms and especially SD's. I have decided to start corresponding with the director of F & B of X now, to lobby for specific line items covering vegans/vegetarians or easily converted to either.

Also, most Americans refer to it as vegan, while many countries like the UK and the Commonwealth refer to us as vegetarians...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Thank you bo1953, for lobbying for more creative options for vegetarians and vegans. (For those reading this thread; in the U.S., vegetarians consume a plant-based diet, along with dairy products and eggs, but no meat, poultry or fish. Vegans eat an entirely plant-based diet.) My wife and I are both vegetarians. Cruise lines have been slow to offer many meat alternatives. Many upscale restaurants offer very impressive options. Those choices are certainly within the same price-point as items offered to meat-eaters on cruise lines (especially on Gala Nights). And those creations would give everyone a chance to try something new. Prepared correctly, guests will be pleasently surprised! Score one for healthier eating. :D

Thank you bo1953, for lobbying for more creative options for vegetarians and vegans. (For those reading this thread; in the U.S., vegetarians consume a plant-based diet, along with dairy products and eggs, but no meat, poultry or fish. Vegans eat an entirely plant-based diet.) My wife and I are both vegetarians. Cruise lines have been slow to offer many meat alternatives. Many upscale restaurants offer very impressive options. Those choices are certainly within the same price-point as items offered to meat-eaters on cruise lines (especially on Gala Nights). And those creations would give everyone a chance to try something new. Prepared correctly, guests will be pleasently surprised! Score one for healthier eating. :D

t - I have found by attending the food galley tours and being one of the last people in the room, I get to ask the question about preparing vegan meals for me!

It has worked for my last six (6) sailings on X, the head chef either himself or an assigned chef discuss what I want and I hand them a list of recipes of things I prepare at home... they do get something close which is great.

My last sailing on Millie, even the pastry chef went over board and prepared a different dessert each night culminating in a grand display and presentation of each dessert he made during the sailing for me, our table was overwhelmed with joy and delight at the presentation... all I could say was WOW!

He also prepared pastries for me to be placed in Al Bacio... How could I not like X for this type of service? :cool:

I know and understand it is not for everyone, at this time, yet for myself I Am very pleased with it all... and trust that Edge will take it over the Edge for those of us who are plant based..

Thank you again and bon voyage

Add me to the “skip the snail caviar” group. I will probably just leave it on the plate rather than mess up their artistry by leaving it off. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about it did you find unpleasant on other occasion(s) you have consumed snail caviar? Do you dislike all types of eggs?

In my garden, snails are pests like their cousin slugs..probably also a delicacy elsewhere!

And while we go snorkeling, spiny urchins are to be avoided...rather than eaten!

As the saying goes, different strokes for diff folks..Edge will have lots to offer.

In my garden, snails are pests like their cousin slugs..probably also a delicacy elsewhere!

And while we go snorkeling, spiny urchins are to be avoided...rather than eaten!

As the saying goes, different strokes for diff folks..Edge will have lots to offer.

Sea urchin gonads (uni) are one of my very favorite foods; especially Santa Barbara uni - exquisite! But it is one of those foods that is MUCH MUCH better when it is very fresh. Am skeptical about enjoying it on a cruise ship (unless they are taking it on fresh in the ports), but will give it a try. Snail roe is salt cured, so much longer shelf life and should be as good on the ship as on land (assuming proper storage). Enjoyable, but much more mild, subtle flavor than uni. One of those foods that sounds a lot more exotic than it tastes.

The Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station in NYC just brought back one of their customer favorites [which I haven't – and don't plan to – try]: the Caviar Sandwich

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-oyster-bars-caviar-sandwich-is-back-1525017601?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=1

What about it did you find unpleasant on other occasion(s) you have consumed snail caviar? Do you dislike all types of eggs?

I have never had it. Or fish caviar. The whole idea grosses me out.

I have had escargot ONCE and I swear I felt antennae in my throat for a few days after. Blech!!

I have never had it. Or fish caviar. The whole idea grosses me out.

I have had escargot ONCE and I swear I felt antennae in my throat for a few days after. Blech!!

You mean the eyes? Escargot doesn’t really have antennas, but they have tentacles that are essentially their eyes. Yes, you do eat them when having escargot, but you can’t really distinguish them from the rest of the flesh - if you were grossed out while eating it you may have swallowed too soon, which could result in feeling like some portion was stuck in your throat, but highly doubtful the eyes became dislodged and stuck.

You are aware fish roe (caviar is technically only from sturgeon) is just eggs? No more or less gross than eating eggs from a chicken, duck, quail, ostrich etc. Or do you avoid all eggs?

You mean the eyes? Escargot doesn’t really have antennas, but they have tentacles that are essentially their eyes. Yes, you do eat them when having escargot, but you can’t really distinguish them from the rest of the flesh - if you were grossed out while eating it you may have swallowed too soon, which could result in feeling like some portion was stuck in your throat, but highly doubtful the eyes became dislodged and stuck.

You are aware fish roe (caviar is technically only from sturgeon) is just eggs? No more or less gross than eating eggs from a chicken, duck, quail, ostrich etc. Or do you avoid all eggs?

Do you also try to shame Vegetarians and Vegans? Or does having a name for your group protect you? People don't like to eat certain things, for reasons that are perfectly good – to them.

The difference between the two is that fish roe is consumed raw, either off of a tiny spoon or on a cracker, whereas the other types of eggs you described are all eaten cooked, such as scrambled, over easy, fried, poached, hard boiled, soft boiled or in an omelette. Unless of course it's 1977 and you're Rocky Balboa in training drinking glasses full of raw chicken eggs.

The difference between the two is that fish roe is consumed raw, either off of a tiny spoon or on a cracker, whereas the other types of eggs you described are all eaten cooked, such as scrambled, over easy, fried, poached, hard boiled, soft boiled or in an omelette. Unless of course it's 1977 and you're Rocky Balboa in training drinking glasses full of raw chicken eggs.

Plus I don't do fish in general. Cannot stand fish.

Whatever it was it was GROSS.

Yes, I eat eggs. Chicken only. Cooked. Thoroughly.

I don't like fish in any form.

Do you also try to shame Vegetarians and Vegans? Or does having a name for your group protect you? People don't like to eat certain things, for reasons that are perfectly good – to them.

Thank you for this post...wide range choice on board and plenty for me...a non adventurous foodie! We never go hungry on a cruise,..

I don't try to shame anybody; I was having a conversation with another poster about their aversion to snail roe. I just reread my posts to see if I had inadvertently insulted her (not my intent) and did not see anything pejorative. Also not sure what you mean about my "group." There are foods I dislike as well; I do not become upset when somebody asks me about what I find unappealing about them. Sometimes in discussing aversions people learn things they may not have been aware of and may be more willing to give something new a try - they may still end up disliking it, but on other occasions they can find a new food they really enjoy. Different story if someone is a vegan/vegetarian or has an allergy, but if it is just an aversion those sometimes can be overcome (as has been the case with myself on certain items).

The main difference between roe and caviar is that only eggs from sturgeon can be called simply "caviar" (this is even stricter in Europe than the US, but the US has regulations about this as well) Yes, caviar is also cured (though roe of other fish commonly is cured as well). Here is some more information if you are interested in reading about this topic:

http://www.culinarylore.com/specialty-foods:difference-between-caviar-and-roe

VT, thank you for this information. We tend to only eat in MDR as I had food poisoning from a buffet dropped 50 lbs and spent week plus in a hospital (not on a cruise) many many years ago and will seldom risk trying again (have on some cruises, but limit what I dare try).

Sounds like the MDR has great options and some have had the chef come by to discuss options. We are so looking forward to this experience!!!

VT, thank you for this information. We tend to only eat in MDR as I had food poisoning from a buffet dropped 50 lbs and spent week plus in a hospital (not on a cruise) many many years ago and will seldom risk trying again (have on some cruises, but limit what I dare try).

Sounds like the MDR has great options and some have had the chef come by to discuss options. We are so looking forward to this experience!!!

I hope you have a wonderful dining experience on the Edge. They will be transfering the cream of the crop staff and crew to the Edge so there should be some great chefs onboard. :D

I wrote to Ivana at Celebrity to see if she could answer some questions I had. Little new info, but learned a couple of things. Number 7 is inaccurate - they have announced movies there. :).

1) I am on the two 3-night preview cruises on Dec 1 and Dec 6,2018 and wondered if you would know whether they will do Le Petit Chef on either of both of those cruises (I had heard that it will be done 1-2 times on each cruise)? If yes, any idea which night?

Le Petit Chef is still in development, nights of service are not defined yet, so it’s not pre-cruise bookable currently

2) How many can do Le Petit Chef at one time? In other words, does it take up the whole restaurant when it is done?

When LePetit Chef service is in progress that will be rolled throughout the restaurant, capacity still undefined.

3) Also, do you have any idea if they will do Dinner on the Edge on the 2 preview cruises Dec 1 and 6?

Dinner on the Edge experiencewill be available onboard

4) I am also booked for Jan 20, 2019 7 night cruise so could do LePetit Chef and Dinner on the Edge then, if not available on the preview cruises. Would we be able to find out ahead of time the dates so that we can plan our other specialty dining?

For Your January 20th cruise we should offer Le Petit Chef to be bookable in Pre-cruise planner

5) Do you have any idea whether or not there will be a revised menu in Luminae and in Blu?

Luminae and Blu Restaurant Menus are available on www.celebritycruises.com/edge/dining

6) Can suite people book in one of the 4 MDRs for a dinner, if desired?

Suite guests have open dining type so they have availability to create their Main Dining Room reservations once onboard the ship, not pre-cruise bookable

7) Are there movies every night in the Rooftop Garden? If so, do you know what time it will usually be? I have a dinner reservation there one night and would rather not have a movie running at the same time.

This hasn’t been announced anywhere so I don’t think it will be available on the Edge, concept of Rooftop Terrace on our fleet and Rooftop Garden Grille on Edge is a bit different

Kind Regards,

Ivana

| www.celebritycruises.com