Have you been to Alaska on RC?

sjde

We did an Alaskan cruise about 15 years ago on HAL and are thinking of taking another one now with kids and grandkids. It will either be RC or Princess. I remember hearing years ago that Princess had the best Alaka excursions, but I also think RC has the best kid's programs. Can anyone weigh in?

We've done Alaska on both. Princess does an outstanding job, with national parks rangers on board, and great commentary.

RC has nicer ships in my opinion with more to do. Radience is a great Alaska ship!

Kids programs are similar.

If I went again, I would choose...... the best deal. They are that close!

My four Alaska cruise's on RCI Radiance were amazing. Two of them just DH and myself and the other two with extended family that included infant & toddler grandbabe's. The nursery and Adventure Ocean worked out great for us.

Our very first cruise was to Alaska on RCI Rhapsody - it is what hooked us on cruising, especially with kids. Our youngest daughter was 7 at the time and she was having such a great time in Adventure Ocean we had to insist she get off the ship with us in port.

I don't know YET, but we are cruising Alaska on Radiance in 152 days. Ask me again in 160 days. LOL!

We booked through a travel agent. She suggested first to determine itinerary, either one way or RT from Seattle. Then we told her we could travel anytime in August. We are 6 people in 2 rooms, and that also includes splitting up our 3 kids and the two older kids with Nana in a handicap/accessible room. At the time we looked (Sept. 2017 for an August 2018 cruise), RCCL was the ONLY ship that could get us two rooms neighboring each other with part of the family in an accessible room. The price was almost exactly the same.

We did Alaska years ago on the Radiance class. I am not sure what ships sail there now. It seems to me that many of the cruiselines have similar excursions, especially for Alaska.

You can easily check excursions out on the individual websites. If you find them similar, I might suggest Royal Caribbean as they do have a wonderful kids program

And of course, you can do private excursions so in that case you have freedom to choose whichever Cruiseline seems best to you. I recall we did at least two private excursions and the only ship sponsored excursion we did was the train in Skagway

Enjoy

Have cruised Alaska four times - on the old Norwegian Sky, twice on Radiance and on Explorer. Going back on Explorer in June. Radiance is a great ship for Alaska. Explorer may provide more for the children and you to do on the ship. As far as I know, Radiance only does north to south from Seward or south to north from Vancouver and we have done both ways. Explorer sails roundtrip from Seattle. In all my 65 cruises, Alaska is still number one!

We went on Celebrity a couple of years ago, and loved it. They always throw a couple of freebies in like drink package, internet or gratuities. We were on the Solstice and the nature lector was excellent.

My family and I took a southbound Alaska cruise on the Radiance in June 2016 with post-cruise touring of Vancouver and Seattle. I enjoyed the itinerary and the ship (though I was more interested in it as a floating hotel than a comprehensive entertainment center) - especially with how visible the scenery was from many of the public areas - and would definitely go again. We booked our excursions independently, but saw that at least one of our must dos (extended glacier trek via helicopter) was also available through RC.

We did the Rhapsody 8 years ago. I have only used RCCL and love them. As for excusions, I booked private, In Juneau I used Harv and Marv for whale watching, in Skagway I booked Duryea Dave. I would highly recommend both of these companies to have small private and very personable tours.

I sailed the Radiance on its maiden voyage in 2001. My mother will be sailing with Princess on an Alaskan cruise in a few months. I helped planned much of it, so I will tell you what I know from my own research and experience with RC. Keep in mind I have not sailed on Princess. Radiance is my most favorite ship, even after 17 years and 6 cruises. The design of the ship is fantastic, and it suits Alaska well.

The Princess ship my mother is sailing on is the Golden Princess. It looks spectacular as well, and the folks I've talked to said it's a fantastic ship so I feel confident that it'll be a good ship. It's about 25% bigger than Radiance. Princess has been in Alaska longer than any other cruise lines, and they do have rights to go to places that other lines can't go. Pretty much everyone I've talked to said Princess does Alaska best, even those who are diehard RC loyalists. Their arguments are convincing enough that it will be a difficult decision to choose Princess of my favorite ship, should I ever be blessed enough to go again!

We have done both, and although RC is my overall favorite cruise line, I think Princess wins for Alaska. My opinion is based on a couple things, including the fact that Princess goes to Glacier Bay and RC does not. Princess also had a naturalist onboard the entire cruise who gave several educational talks, and they brought a US Park Ranger onboard to narrate the passage through Glacier Bay. I think the excursions were pretty much the same, so I wouldn’t let that be a factor. Can’t comment on the kids programs.

Both Alaska cruises were amazing! I would do either one again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums