Holland America pulling out of Bermuda for 2019????

kazu

And, is it too much to hope that a new Class of such sized vessels may eventually debut?

HAL totally screwed up when they sold the Ryndam...a lovely S-Class ship that hadn’t been destroyed with Aft adjustments and all that business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAL totally screwed up when they sold the Ryndam...a lovely S-Class ship that hadn’t been destroyed with Aft adjustments and all that business.

I don't disagree with your post. Given the need to position Veendam in Venice for sailings from/to there and having to drop the Bermuda sailings, I wonder if the "Seattle suits" are having second thoughts.

The news that P&O Australia have sold Pacific Eden (aka Statendam) to Cruises & Maritime Voyages because the the Company's desire to "freshen the line's Australian offerings" makes me wonder if Pacific Aria (aka Ryndam) might find her way back home.

The news that P&O Australia have sold Pacific Eden (aka Statendam) to Cruises & Maritime Voyages because the the Company's desire to "freshen the line's Australian offerings" makes me wonder if Pacific Aria (aka Ryndam) might find her way back home.

Much as I love that idea, I'm afraid to get my hopes up that transferring the Ryndam back to HAL would ever come to pass.

I wonder how the changes to the dining room would impact HAL's approach to traditional and open dining? Or, could the ship follow a new path, so they wouldn't have to do a lot to change her back to what she was?

Speculating is generally fruitless, so I will try not to think about this.

HAL totally screwed up when they sold the Ryndam...a lovely S-Class ship that hadn’t been destroyed with Aft adjustments and all that business

Same for Statendam.

I cancelled my plans for a Bermuda trip due to the same sex marriage issue (beyond being anti-marriage, they're actively choosing to roll back citizens' rights). Such a decision could very well affect tourism. Just because you haven't heard of it or stopped to think about it doesn't mean it's not a possible factor.

I assume you’re not cruising to any Muslim countries either then???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can toss a few Caribbean islands in that mix, too.

I was not aware of that and I have visited almost all of the major 't tourist' Caribbean island s, many of fthem time and again.

I was not aware of that and I have visited almost all of the major 't tourist' Caribbean island s, many of fthem time and again.

The British Caribbean is known for a lot of homophobia. It varies but the non British Caribbean is more accepting. Bermuda follows in that British Caribbean outlook among some ( about half) of the local population. It seems to come from a particular church denomination that is strong there. The issue with Bermuda now is that they had same sex marriage and then the government reversed it. The reversal is why it is an issue.

A day or two in port does not necessariuly teach us all hat much a out local social issues.

I've been to Tortola at least 6-8 times and have always enjoyed our visits but do not claim to be overly familiar with their views on such issues.

Thank you for the info, Charles.

The British Caribbean is known for a lot of homophobia. It varies but the non British Caribbean is more accepting. Bermuda follows in that British Caribbean outlook among some ( about half) of the local population. It seems to come from a particular church denomination that is strong there. The issue with Bermuda now is that they had same sex marriage and then the government reversed it. The reversal is why it is an issue.

Although I don't assume it was your intent, your post seems to imply that a traditional belief about marriage is homophobic and it also could be read as disparaging to a church denomination (not sure which group you referred to)... This probably isn't an appropriate forum, even though I think you were probably trying to help.

Although I don't assume it was your intent, your post seems to imply that a traditional belief about marriage is homophobic and it also could be read as disparaging to a church denomination (not sure which group you referred to)... This probably isn't an appropriate forum, even though I think you were probably trying to help.

The definition of Homophobia in my Meriam-Webster dictionary is discrimination against Homosexuals. If by civil law Heterosexuals can marry legally but homosexuals can not marry legally then that is discrimination. As far as church denominations, I read the Bermuda press every day and the opposition to legal Same Sex marriage is led by some church pastors. That is factual.

Edited by Charles4515

The definition of Homophobia in my Meriam-Webster dictionary is discrimination against Homosexuals. If by civil law Heterosexuals can marry legally but homosexuals can not marry legally then that is discrimination.

No further comment, as I do not consider this an appropriate forum for the topic.

They pull out of Bermuda over that but not Mexico...

The consensus opinion which probably is the reason that they pulled Veendam , is that Holland America made a business decision to move Veendam to Venice. The larger ships may be exacerbating the flooding in Venice so there has been a campaign there to limit the size of ships porting there.

The definition of Homophobia in my Meriam-Webster dictionary is discrimination against Homosexuals.

Sorry, the word "homophopic" smacks so much of "Newspeak" in the novel 1984,

it --at least for me-- drowns out whatever else you are saying. I want to hear you,

so please speak plainly instead of in political cant.

Edited by Haboob
garbaged line-feeds

Sorry, the word "homophopic" smacks so much of "Newspeak" in the novel 1984,

it --at least for me-- drowns out whatever else you are saying. I want to hear you,

so please speak plainly instead of in political cant.

Sorry. In plain speak, Homophobia is the reason the Bermudian government reversed allowing same sex marriage. I am using the dictionary definition, not newspeak or political cant.

I don’t think Holland America pulling out has anything to do with that reversal.

All of this is just typical CC board commentary. ;p

HAL actually pulled Veendam out of Bermuda because she was needed in Europe -- smaller ship to meet Venice's requirements.

I wonder if they’re sorry now they sold Ryndam and Statendam?

We had a cruise booked to Bermuda aboard Veendam in June of 2019. Our TA received a letter announcing that the cruise had been cancelled due to a change in deployment.

Also, within the letter were offers of OBC, but only if we chose from a list of 'selected' sailings.

DW and I were introduced to cruising aboard Veendam back in 1998, as we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. So, naturally, we were very much looking forward to sailing her again next year.

We are disappointed, but we will enjoy being on another DAM ship in 2019.