Bring of sand back from islands

Reenie75

So apparently I'm supposed to leave my sand covered swim trunks and flip flops at the beach? If I did I might have a different problem boarding the ship.:)

That's why they have showers near the beach. The cruise line doesn't want a messy trail any more than your suitcase does.

I'm pretty sure this post wasn't meant to be taken literally, just more or less to lighten the atmosphere here a little. :)

You can't scrape the Colosseum with a selfie stick in Italy, but I guess if you want a little debris souvenir in a jar go for it. US Law is all that matters.

When in Rome, AND the Caribbean, follow the local laws! The islanders don't deserve any less respect.

Yes, because taking pieces of a one-of-a-kind, nearly 2,000 year old historical structure is the same as taking a few ounces of sand that is produced by a sea creature, just one of which produces over 200 pounds of the stuff every year.

If local laws state, DO NOT TAKE OUR SAND, that's one thing. But everyone here needs to stop pretending that these islands are going to disappear because a handful of cruisers, out of tens of millions per year, take a little sand.

Yes, because taking pieces of a one-of-a-kind, nearly 2,000 year old historical structure is the same as taking a few ounces of sand that is produced by a sea creature, just one of which produces over 200 pounds of the stuff every year.

If local laws state, DO NOT TAKE OUR SAND, that's one thing. But everyone here needs to stop pretending that these islands are going to disappear because a handful of cruisers, out of tens of millions per year, take a little sand.

The only people claiming that islands are going to disappear are those ridiculing others who prefer to respect the environment and seek to minimize damage.

Islands do have laws against removing beach artifacts. For some reason those interested in removing sand refuse to acknowledge this fact.

That's why they have showers near the beach. The cruise line doesn't want a messy trail any more than your suitcase does.

I guess I will have to start planning my beach day around which beaches have showers. Maybe they should setup hazmat tents for us to decontaminate before boarding.

I guess I will have to start planning my beach day around which beaches have showers. Maybe they should setup hazmat tents for us to decontaminate before boarding.

Won't you be surprised when you do that long planned road trip to California and drive up to one of the border ag inspection stations.

What many posters here don't seem to realize is that from shells to sand to soil to uninspected/unprepackaged foods, it's what "hitchhikers" you can't see that presents the potential problems for agriculture.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only people claiming that islands are going to disappear are those ridiculing others who prefer to respect the environment and seek to minimize damage.
What damage do you speak of? Do you mean that little bitty hole in the sand that forms when someone takes a handful of it? Yeah, because that hole will be there forever.

Won't you be surprised when you do that long planned road trip to California and drive up to one of the border ag inspection stations.

What many posters here don't seem to realize is that from shells to sand to soil to uninspected/unprepackaged foods, it's what "hitchhikers" you can't see that presents the potential problems for agriculture.

What is it with your obsession with California tough talk? This is at least your third post about it. You act like we all can't wait to get there. Trust me, I'm in no hurry to give Cali. my tourist dollars.

What damage do you speak of? Do you mean that little bitty hole in the sand that forms when someone takes a handful of it? Yeah, because that hole will be there forever.

What is it with your obsession with California tough talk? This is at least your third post about it. You act like we all can't wait to get there. Trust me, I'm in no hurry to give Cali. my tourist dollars.

Last time I checked, Cali was/is a town in Colombia.

As for California's seriousness about its own sand:

CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS

TITLE 14. NATURAL RESOURCES

DIVISION 3. DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION

CHAPTER 1. GENERAL

§ 4307. Geological Features.

(a) No person shall destroy, disturb, mutilate, or remove earth, sand, gravel, oil, minerals, rocks, paleontological features, or features of caves.

No more avocados or artichokes for you.

I had an interesting conversation with my brother some time ago. He suggested that most people seemed unable to anticipate or extrapolate the consequences of actions beyond the immediate. At the time I did not agree. Some of the arguments in this thread clearly confirm his theory.

What damage do you speak of? Do you mean that little bitty hole in the sand that forms when someone takes a handful of it? Yeah, because that hole will be there forever. ...

A pointless question. Breaking the law is breaking the law.

All of the self-righteous "environmentalists" here who preach about environmental impact have more of an impact on the environment living their everyday lives than cruisers do taking a little sand from a beach.

Now, no more almonds or asparagus for you (and we're still just on the "A"s).

Seriously, you need to do some research on the impact of tourists who disturb/remove natural resources (yes, even sand) from high traffic destinations.

All of the self-righteous "environmentalists" here who preach about environmental impact have more of an impact on the environment living their everyday lives than cruisers do taking a little sand from a beach.

As do all of the self-righteous anti-environmentalists. So what is your point?

Convincing others that breaking the law is ok, does not make it so.

I find it interesting how America in general is so afraid that some desert or beach will run out of sand, or some volcano run out of lava rock. My daughter recently visited Italy and took an excursion to Mt Vesuvius. She noticed some children with buckets picking up rocks and asked the tour guide about it, having grown up where doing such could land you in jail. The tour guide told her that the children were there as a school field trip specifically to collect rocks and that they encourage everyone who visits Vesuvius to take home souvenirs from the mountain.

You don't need my help figuring this out do you? If you want to return to the ship head to toe covered in sand, just tell the gangway staff that you've never been to the beach before, and didn't know what else to do. ;p

As do all of the self-righteous anti-environmentalists. So what is your point?

Convincing others that breaking the law is ok, does not make it so.

If they're anti-environmentalists, or even just someone who doesn't get so worked up about it, then they're not too worried about their impact, now are they? That's kind of the point. Y'all are lecturing about the environmental impact of taking a bit of sand from a beach, yet have more of an impact living your lives.

The day is just beginning and a single school of parrot fish have already pooped out more white sand than any cruiser took with them yesterday.

Speaking of sand....this thread needs buried like a cat's turd.
And yet you posted and bumped it to the top.

This is a funny thread. Seriously you’re talking about sand in your shorts and not the same in the crack of your @$$ ?

You can bring sand back but just don’t try to bring back Alcohol (that’s a big no no)

Edited by LuckyZ