New rules regarding taking alcohol on board

milosfriend

To Caravan 37

I have been in touch with P and O to see if I could take more wine but no spirits. The answer was NO. One litre of whatever. They offer bottles of soft drinks to purchase when you go ashore. I wonder if, when re-boarding these bottles will be confiscated if you have not drunk all of the contents.

Ahh didn’t think so! Thanks for trying though [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well go to Benidorm if you dont like the drinks prices but dont consider going on another cruise line because they are substantially more expensive and most charge 15-18% service charge on top which P&O dont charge.

Marella are all inclusive! Better Caribbean itineraries and only one sea day. And you fly on the latest Dreamliner!

Marella are all inclusive! Better Caribbean itineraries and only one sea day. And you fly on the latest Dreamliner!
Yes, but the ships are second or third hand, and one sea day is not nearly enough. Also, the cruises are more expensive than P&O.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

geecee1 - As you can tell from my username, I don't do aeroplanes so a Marella Caribbean cruise is a not an option for me, whatever the price.

With their new drinks policy I hope P&O start offering an optional drinks package at a sensible price.

I do like a drink and would likely benefit from an all inclusive package but, including free drinks in the cabin price, does penalise those who don't drink or drink very little.

If they offered either free or pay reasonable amount for mini bar that may appease some an example would be 2 small bottles of wine per day 2 cans lager and 2 bottles of spirits and mixer each day and of your choice. I would happily pay a nominal amount for this each day

What adds salt to the wound is the actual cost to the shipping line for one bottle of spirits. As duty and taxes are not applied to alcohol consumed at sea, when I have paid for my first drink aboard, I have literally paid for the whole bottle, and then some. The ever increasing prices for mixed drinks on all lines is unwarranted and they need to be reminded of the tale of the goose and the golden egg.

What adds salt to the wound is the actual cost to the shipping line for one bottle of spirits. As duty and taxes are not applied to alcohol consumed at sea, when I have paid for my first drink aboard, I have literally paid for the whole bottle, and then some. The ever increasing prices for mixed drinks on all lines is unwarranted and they need to be reminded of the tale of the goose and the golden egg.

Hardly with the low price of in cabin spirit prices. It’s wine which is expensive not spirits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums7ea81fba6d8406abdbb0934b53098563.jpg

Could anyone who has been on a cruise since the change inalcohol policy tell me if we can combine the 1 litre per adult and bring amixture on board. For example, 1 x 75cl bottle red wine, 1 x 75cl bottle whitewine and 1 x 50 cl bottle spirit.

The P&O help page (below) does say wine, Champagne,beer, spirit OR liquor. I can’tfind any mention of combining allowances or number of individual bottles.

Each guest aged 18 years(21 years in United States of America ports) and older may bring up to 1 litreof wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur on board as they embark the shipfor the first time only. Alcohol over the 1 litre limit will be stored andreturned to you prior to the end of your cruise.

Could anyone who has been on a cruise since the change inalcohol policy tell me if we can combine the 1 litre per adult and bring amixture on board. For example, 1 x 75cl bottle red wine, 1 x 75cl bottle whitewine and 1 x 50 cl bottle spirit.

The P&O help page (below) does say wine, Champagne,beer, spirit OR liquor. I can’tfind any mention of combining allowances or number of individual bottles.

Each guest aged 18 years(21 years in United States of America ports) and older may bring up to 1 litreof wine, Champagne, beer, spirit or liqueur on board as they embark the shipfor the first time only. Alcohol over the 1 litre limit will be stored andreturned to you prior to the end of your cruise.

The allowance is quite straightforward. 1 litre per passenger. From their point of view, simple to operate though tough admittedly on wine drinkers.

DAVID

I’m sure that would be fine. We need to keep in mind that it’s a cruise line and not a prison, so a degree of interpretation is to be expected.

Can anyone advise on the wine selection available at Valletta duty free prior to boarding or will I have to buy at Gatwick duty free?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quite a good selection and reasonable prices at the “ duty free” shop as you walk through to get on the ship in Valletta , no need to get at Gatwick

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Quite a good selection and reasonable prices at the “ duty free” shop as you walk through to get on the ship in Valletta , no need to get at Gatwick

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is there a good range of spirits and wines? Thanks

From recent experience there seems to me to be a bit of a loophole in the implementation of the new alcohol policy. It is only the ships security staff that check you bags for alcohol when it passes through the on board scanner. The loophole for those wishing to bring the odd bottle or two onto the ship is that your baggage which passes through the 'off ship' security scanners i.e at Southampton embarkation, is not checked for the implementation of the new alcohol policy. This applies to both main luggage and roll on bags. Of course you may be asked if you have any alcohol as you pass through security on entering the ship but, they will not ask you to open your roll on bags unless they are clanking with the sound of bottles. However you may asked to show the contents of any carrier or hand bags. Your main luggage will of course eventually arrive at your cabin door.

How long this loophole will continue of course is anyones guess.

Bal

P&O drink prices a far lower than all other major cruise lines. Was recently on RCL and it was £7 for a bottle of Budweiser and cheapest glass of wine was around £7.50.

The main reason for these high prices is the drinks packages. Very few people actually get the full value out of a drinks package so they are a nice earner for the cruise lines.Inflating individual drinks prices makes the packages look more attractive.

I have to disagree with your statement that very few people get the full value out of a drinks package. We have purchased a package for our upcoming sailing with RCI during a promotion. This results in a cost per day of £39.82 per person. So for 2 people for a 7 night sailing that equates to £557.44. Convert that to USD and thats equivalent to approximately $780 at todays exchange rate. Now that's less than we spent on our very RCI cruise 14 years ago when packages didn't exist.

As a result of this pre purchase we will have a very small onboard account at the end of the cruise but will have enjoyed unlimited beverages (a package doesn't just cover alcohol which people seem to forget).

So the fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast $4

A speciality coffee during the day (Latte $4.25)

A beer at lunch ($7.25)

A soda (soda package included in this package and a soda is $3.50)

A couple of pre dinner G&T's ($8.95 each)

A cocktail and at least 2 glasses of wine during dinner and the rest of the evening (wine average $12 per glass, premium cocktail $13)

So that totals $87.20 (including 18% gratuity) if I were to pay as I go. However, I can have the above for approximately the equivalent of $55.71 per day which includes the 18% gratuity.

I believe I get value out of a package without really trying especially as 1/3rd of those above are non alcoholic but still cost.

We took a 2.2ltr. box so I would think you would be OK.

At the ports there was no heavy handedness just trust.

I really think this is a way to stop the excessive amounts some passengers were starting to bring on board.

The odd bottle here and there is not going to cause huge problems

Hardly with the low price of in cabin spirit prices. It’s wine which is expensive not spirits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums7ea81fba6d8406abdbb0934b53098563.jpg

I was referring to mark-up not expense. A bar beverage produced for £1 and sold for £7 is, in my estimation, excessive profiteering and eventually self defeating.

We took a 2.2ltr. box so I would think you would be OK.

At the ports there was no heavy handedness just trust.

I really think this is a way to stop the excessive amounts some passengers were starting to bring on board.

The odd bottle here and there is not going to cause huge problems

Both hubby and I prefer wine to spirits, and after doing some research into bottle sizes, found it difficult to source anything under 1.5ltrs or above 70cl. I did find the 2.2ltr boxes online that you referred to and wondered if a) P&O would allow you to combine your "entitlement" to take it onboard (it seems like they do), and b) would they confiscate the box of because it was 0.2 over the "combined" amount (seems like they don't).

Can I ask, given the boxes are not small, where did you pack it? Suitcase or hand luggage?

Amanda

Both hubby and I prefer wine to spirits, and after doing some research into bottle sizes, found it difficult to source anything under 1.5ltrs or above 70cl. I did find the 2.2ltr boxes online that you referred to and wondered if a) P&O would allow you to combine your "entitlement" to take it onboard (it seems like they do), and b) would they confiscate the box of because it was 0.2 over the "combined" amount (seems like they don't).

Can I ask, given the boxes are not small, where did you pack it? Suitcase or hand luggage?

Amanda

In the past we have always put our wine boxes are in our suitcases.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Amanda

M&S do a very nice medium white, dry white or red Italian wine/s in 1 litre sizes - it may be worth having a look as they may do other types too :-)

So reading all posts,only been on p and o once like Cunard!question is can we take a bottle on or not.Shall we put it in cases or hand luggage.How much can we bring on board from destinations?:)

wine or spirits up to one litre each person. No you can't bring any more on unless you want to hand it in and they will give it back the next day. Same as the US lines, though, to be fair more generous re the litre measure as the US lines tend to be 70 cl.